I remember..

Options

Replies

• R3d_butt3rfly_
    R3d_butt3rfly_ Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I remember one time in first grade my mom was late picking me up from school so I decided Los Angeles was a great place for a little girl to walk home alone and worry the heck out of her parents. I honestly have no idea how I made it home. I suck at directions 😂
  • crazyhorse8
    crazyhorse8 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    _Dan1985 wrote: »
    I remember landlines, nobody had a phone of their own, it was just 'the phone' in every house.

I remember in the early internet days, Yahoo and Lycos dominated search engines. Google didn't exist yet.

I remember MSN messenger being a thing :#

That land line phone was awesome! No cell phones yet and people actually talked to each other on the phone or in person...now that is a concept. This dates me doesn't it. :D

If this dates you, then it dates me too. Then again, so does my username.

It's kinda mindblowing that in the 90s it was perfectly normal for children of 10 years old to go into the city with their friends without any way of their parents contacting them. Also you're right, people did talk to each other more - and we weren't so constantly saturated with digital media.

I'm not going to be a boomer and go on a rant about it all being better in the old days - after all, mobile phones must have saved millions of lives by now, but I do have a strange nostalgia for a time before they were mainstream.

I agree with the City comment and kids! My biggest issue with younger people now, is they don't look you in the eye when speaking...always looking at there phone instead! Just want to yell "eyes up here now" please. Ok, so I just had a boomer rant. :D

• tigrig
    tigrig Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was 13 I got in a fight with my moms drunk boyfriend.
    Every weekend when I was younger my aunts and uncles would come over to party and get drunk while the kids were basically left to fend for themselves. Dickhead, I mean my mom's bf, was being mean to my then 3 year old cousin when I stood up to him and told him to stop. He then proceeded to try and kick me in the side of the head and then the fight ensued. Thankfully he was a drunk, smaller than average man and I was an adrenaline pumped larger than average 13 year old so I held my own and had him shoved against a wall with my hands around his throat. Then my mom broke us up and told us to stop wrestling in the house 🤷‍♂️
  • TwitchyMagee
    TwitchyMagee Posts: 4,579 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    tigrig wrote: »
    Every weekend when I was younger my aunts and uncles would come over to party and get drunk while the kids were basically left to fend for themselves. Dickhead, I mean my mom's bf, was being mean to my then 3 year old cousin when I stood up to him and told him to stop. He then proceeded to try and kick me in the side of the head and then the fight ensued. Thankfully he was a drunk, smaller than average man and I was an adrenaline pumped larger than average 13 year old so I held my own and had him shoved against a wall with my hands around his throat. Then my mom broke us up and told us to stop wrestling in the house 🤷‍♂️
    Oof. Painful. I’m sorry that happened.
    I once got beat with the piece of wood I had thrown at my mother‘s boyfriend.

• ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options

i feel this, the cognitive dissonance was strong with my mom too
  • tigrig
    Options
    Oof. Painful. I’m sorry that happened.
    I once got beat with the piece of wood I threw at my mother‘s boyfriend.

It's crazy how some adults can be mean to kids for no reason. Thankfully I turned out mostly OK, but my heart breaks for the ones that didn't and the ones that are going through it right now.
    You didn't deserve that at all ❤️
  • crazyhorse8
    crazyhorse8 Posts: 649 Member
    Options

All of us need a special someone like you to defend us!
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    Options
    I remember when I watched my parents VHS movies and had to rewind them to where it was when I started playing it so they wouldn't know I watched it.
  • tigrig
    Options
    I remember when I watched my parents VHS movies and had to rewind them to where it was when I started playing it so they wouldn't know I watched it.

That made me remember about going to blockbuster and renting movies every Friday with my dad. They always had the rewind before you return sticker inside of the cases at the one we went to
  • TwitchyMagee
    TwitchyMagee Posts: 4,579 Member
    Options
    h

That made me remember about going to blockbuster and renting movies every Friday with my dad. They always had the rewind before you return sticker inside of the cases at the one we went to
    What movies?

• CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    Options
    h

What movies?

j84gi2k694ou.gif
  • _Dan1985
    _Dan1985 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

What happened to him in the end? Is he still around?

• tigrig
    Options

Well from what I understand he ended up cheating on my mom and they broke up a few years later. Funny enough I applied to a fab shop where he was an engineer at years later and the reason why I didn't get hired is because he told the owner he was afraid I'd beat him up. Granted I'm 6 inches and around 70lbs heavier than he was back then, but I let go of it a long time ago. Life's too short
  • _Dan1985
    _Dan1985 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Well from what I understand he ended up cheating on my mom and they broke up a few years later. Funny enough I applied to a fab shop where he was an engineer at years later and the reason why I didn't get hired is because he told the owner he was afraid I'd beat him up. Granted I'm 6 inches and around 70lbs heavier than he was back then, but I let go of it a long time ago. Life's too short

That's a really healthy attitude, your cousin is/was lucky to have you. I'm glad he's gone though. Also, might have been a touch awkward working with him at the fab shop :D
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,043 Member
    Options
    I remember waiting for my Dad's truck to pull up in the driveway after work. My brother's and I would race out to his truck, the first one who got to him was the one that got to take off his work boots.

When my Dad passed away a few years ago, it was the one thing I couldn't let go of...so I kept them.

- this mad me think of when my girls were young when I’d come home I’d always sit in my chair and take off my shoes and they’d race to bring me my slides - good times
  • tigrig
    Options

That's a really healthy attitude, your cousin is/was lucky to have you. I'm glad he's gone though. Also, might have been a touch awkward working with him at the fab shop :D

Well it wouldn't have bothered me cause I would just ignore the guy but it worked out cause I have an amazing job now
  • tigrig
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    I remember waiting for my Dad's truck to pull up in the driveway after work. My brother's and I would race out to his truck, the first one who got to him was the one that got to take off his work boots.

When my Dad passed away a few years ago, it was the one thing I couldn't let go of...so I kept them.

- this mad me think of when my girls were young when I’d come home I’d always sit in my chair and take off my shoes and they’d race to bring me my slides - good times

Nothing can beat coming home from work and seeing your kids sprint to you to love on you. I'm lucky enough that my 8 and 9 year old still do this but I know the day is coming where they'll think they're too cool for me 🥲