October 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    @jane_76 sounds like you're well set up with a plan. I would say though to be sure to listen to your body. When I first started, even the 1 minute runs in the first week of c25k were too much, I had to make up a few weeks of even shorter runs first! Also, make sure you run slow. Really slow. When you think you're going slow enough, slow down a bit more!
    @tarun_yadavA I second a rest day. You know your body, but trying to frontload your month could backfire if you're not careful. Do you cross train? Adding in some walking or cycling or swimming could be a way to still exercise but reduce your risk of overuse injuries

@eleanorhawkins Hi! Ummm... Not really. I'll run for like, 28 days in a row, then rest 2 and restart again.
    I think, as I'm at run#260-something for 2022 - just feeling stiffness now a touch
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Good to see you back @quilteryoyo. Hope things start settling down for you.

6 miles this morning. Hill repeats + some fartleks when I came upon a hill on my way home.

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    @quilteryoyo
    @shanaber

238,855 miles to the moon
    477,710 miles total
    If I manage the 15 miles per day:
    31,847.33 days to complete or 87.25 years to complete

I am coming up on 52 years of age, with a new body, I could be done by the age of 140

...and owning a shoe store would be helpful

😊

So if you increased to 26 miles/day it would only take 50 years - just sayin' 😁
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to take a break from long distance running for a bit and try to focus on improving 5K and 10K times. I am also going to get back into a weight loss plan to take off about 15 pounds - I ate way too much during marathon training.

@marisap2010 I hear ya, after my stomach issues I thought I was going to be the weird one that lost weight in training, but the last few weeks I have literally been inhaling all.the.food. It's ridiculous.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    No running today cause I got the flu shot. So far no side effects, but lets see what tomorrow looks like :)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls that is a REMARKABLE accomplishment!!!! 😳 You really are superhuman!

@marisap2010 focusing on other distances after the marathon is very smart. It is actually recommended by many coaches. I think I am going to join you in that effort after December.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,025 Member
    Options

October: 11.95/80 mile goal

1 Oct - Ran 2.50 miles, Walked 1.00 mile - treadmill
    2 Oct - Walked 1.00 mile - treadmill
    3 Oct - Ran 2.75 miles - walked 0.70 mile - driveway laps
    4 Oct - Ran 3.00 miles - walked 1.00 mile - driveway laps

I did my health screening job this morning. I got home at about 1:30, made a couple of phone calls I needed to make, and then went out for my scheduled Recovery Run on the driveway. It was a really nice day, if not a little on the cool side in the shade, at 59°F and a slight breeze. I was supposed to run 30 min, keeping my HR between 120 and 128 bpm. Since I had some extra time today and I never know what tomorrow will bring, I ran a little further, but kept the pace easy. I was a fail on the HR with an average of 129 bpm and max of 140 bpm. I tried, but wound up running by feel and trying to keep it under 143. That I managed to do. I ran 3.0 miles in 42:35 min for an average pace of 14:12 min/mile. (Really slow, but it's supposed to be.) I also walked a mile total for warm up and cool down.

Thanks @martaindale . Nice run. I'm glad you figured out how to concentrate on your form so that your run was easier on the treadmill.

@jane_76 When I first started running years ago I overdid it and had the worst shin splints ever. I could barely walk up the stairs. I new better when I restarted running a couple years ago. Slow and easy, like the turtle, will get you there safer. I don't have any particular C25K I'd recommend. Just curious. The one you are using sounds wonderful. Just remember that you can repeat weeks if needed. No shame in that. Looking forward to hearing how day one goes.

@tarun_yadavA I totally understand about running when you can, especially when you know there will be a few days later that you won't be able to run. Just be smart about it, as I think you are.

Thanks @Scott6255 . Things need to settle down or I need to do a better job of figuring out how to get things done anyway. :wink: Six miles with hill repeats...that's a hard workout. You did great.

You are amazing @AlphaHowls !

@shanaber Glad you got to spend a few days with DD.

@polskagirl01 Sounds like you did great today at listening to your body and pushing it to keep up with the other ladies. Funny about the nutmeg. I had no idea, but you could be right about the pumpkin pie spice.

• jane_76
    jane_76 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawk @shanaber @quilteryoyo - thanks so much for the wise advice. As I took off for my first walk/run - Day 1 of C25K - I reminded myself that slow and steady is the way to go.

I like to run after dark, and I was treated to a surprise sighting of a blue heron fishing in a creek in the shadows. I felt great the whole way through - my knee didn't hurt at all, so I'm hopeful that tonight was the start of my long-awaited return to running.

I have always loved putting together playlists for my runs, and for this first one in a long (long) time, I included Beyonce's new-ish song "Break My Soul". Really helped give me a boost.

Thanks again to all for the welcome and support - I'm inspired by everyone's candid sharing of their challenges and accomplishments.

If my knee is in good shape tomorrow, my next C25K run is slated for Thursday - until then, happy running!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    October Goal: 100 Miles

10/2 - 13.13 miles
    10/4 - 5.52 miles

18.65/100 miles completed for October

It was a bit chilly for my run this morning.The sky was very clear this morning and the stars looked so bright. I ran 5.5 miles. It really was an uneventful run, but I am enjoying the cooler weather.

@jane_76 I started out with the Zen labs C25K. I really liked it.

exercise.png
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    10/1 16.41 miles, 1615 days on the run, 797 days HM+ Streak, Running Partner E, Turkey Trot (running down the road in front of us)
    10/2 15.53 miles
    10/3 15.16 miles
    10/4 15.53 miles, Running Partner A 800 days HM+ Streak!

61.54 miles from home!

For those that do not know what I mean. I have been 'on the run' since May 1, 2018. I have not missed a run day to date.
    As of today, my run streak: 1618 days on the run
    800 of these days, consecutive have been half marathon or greater, every single day.

The quest: run around the world on my own. I will be home by this weekend!

New task: I have to find some new distance to keep myself engaged.

@AlphaHowls truly amazing 🙌
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @jane_76 glad Day 1 was good, hope the knees agree!
    @polskagirl01 hugs! Hang in there, keep listening to your body, doing what you can and being kind to yourself. Also, walnuts in the yard sounds SO awesome! I love walnuts, and they're really expensive here for some reason.

My more-or-less-based-on-stuff-I've-read-in-various-places taper calls for this week's runs to be about 75% of what they have been in length, which meant this morning was going to be the shortest run I've done in many weeks. That combined with cool, misty weather, gave me a serious case of the zoomies! IT took my legs a couple of km of run-walk intervals to warm up, but I got to the highest point on my route feeling pretty strong and just took off. Strava gave me PRs on all 6 segments on that route. I still freeze in panic on really steep or slippery descents, but I seem to have found the confidence to ease off the brakes on the trail now. I should probably not let myself do that until my race though, the last thing I need is to fall and hurt something or scare myself. But it's such FUN! lol
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,858 Member
    Options
    @shanaber we actually HAVE Ospreys in Tx. The first time I saw one was in Oct on the lake when we were waterskiing. For some reason they seem to come thru here in the fall. I don't think they nest tho. I did not get to see it fishing but what I was really intrigued by was your description of it's call. I have seen one or two over the years since but never heard them "talking".

And Good Morning all. I am reading away. And following all the adventures. @polskagirl01 I seriously think you are doing really well all considering So many folks I know now are getting covid and it's not the sore throat/ cold one from last Dec/Jan either but a pretty serious flu and losing smell and taste. It could definitely be long covid or some other immune thing kicked temporarily into gear by being sick ,, Hang in there.