WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Lisa: Tamales for dinner sound good! Are you worried about the weight loss enough to speak with a doctor about it?
    Rosemarie from Georgia

Rosemarie, thanks! The tamales were yummy. There's something about that flavor that is so unique... Of the dozen in a package, Corey eats ten and I eat two... He has a very physical job, and his appetite shows it.

I am seeing a doctor, yes, for an autoimmune disorder that was diagnosed a year ago now. It has combined with a few other issues to keep my body from absorbing nutrients, especially iron. They're knocking down one problem at a time right now, which is why I'm having another iron infusion on Wednesday.

My admiration for all of you who are caretakers knows no bounds. I do not know if I could be that person--it is genuinely not in my nature. I'm terribly relieved that I've not been faced with that yet, and hope that I won't be.

Regards,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Aww Annie ,im so sorry .. I don't like driving at night either..
    My brother bless him is up at the cottage and took Buddy the.dof down to our beach so he took pictures to send to me ,I so miss it up there.. but watching the little guy all week wears me out.. I would love to go up there,but would want him up there also..I dont get to see him enough..
    But i have to plan for something like that.
    Doris and I will be traveling to Cape Cod a week from Tuesday and am looking forward to that we always have a wonderful time..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Sailing north at sunset.
    wfopzusyzkqu.jpg
    Heather xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Grateful:
    1 smell. Onions frying
    2 technology. All. I love tech stuff
    3 color. Sky blue and lavender
    4 food. Yogurt
    5 sound. Soft music
    6 nature. Birds
    7 memory. My trip to the White Mountains in NH with my mom
    8 book. This one is hard. I read a lot. I think John Wayne’s biography.
    9 place. Whit Mountains in NH
    10 taste. Sweet and salty together!
    11 holiday. Christmas of course! 🎄🎅🤶
    12 texture. Soft, like my shi-tzu’s fur
    13 abilities.
    14 sight.
    15 season.
    16 about your body.
    17 knowledge.
    18 piece of art.
    19 touch.
    20 who.
    21 song.
    22 story.
    23 tradition.
    24 challenge.
    25 moment this week.
    26 form of expression.
    27 daily use item.
    28 what happen today.
    29 friend/family member.
    30 talent or skill

RvRita in NM
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Heather: Armistice Day Ceremony with canons sounds respectful. This would be a lot for me. You are doing an amazing job having energy!

RvRita: Hope you feel better!

Lanette: I hope the books are interesting. I believe our minds help us to heal.

Rebecca: So if you leave the Navy at 17 years do you get even a little bit towards a pension?

Lisa: Tamales for dinner sound good! Are you worried about the weight loss enough to speak with a doctor about it?

Debbie: Good to hear you are doing better. Enjoy the potatoes. Hope you go/went to the German Christmas Market.

SueBDew: Hope your wrist is okay.

Rain all day yesterday and caregiving all day today. In the morning the caregiver will come and I will take the Black Lab I am watching for a walk over by the pond near the college. Today I am finishing reading a book for book club I hope. I do feel quite trapped because I am quite trapped!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

No pension, or retirement pay. That is only earned after you do at least 20 years. You do get some perks for serving. You can go to college on the Navy's dime like my middle son and wife have done. Navy even kicks in some housing allowances, so its nice to see them learning, yet not struggling financially.
    They each did their respective 6 year tours, not 16 years like my eldest.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    <<
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    The plan for tomorrow is to do Tracy Anderson’s Slim and Sculpt Cardio DVD then hopefully go for a walk. Worked then stopped at Food Lion to get some blueberries they have on sale. They aren’t fantastic since this isn’t blueberry season. But they sure are better than nothing!

M – Vince was in FL when he had a compression of his spine. The company not only paid for a computer (and monitor) so he could work remotely, not to mention medical bills. They paid for the airfare for us (4 of us) to fly to PA and a limo to bring us home. If people weren’t happy in their job, would they stay 50 years? Many times he worked from home. Every year they would have a formal dinner (complete with gifts for everyone, and I’m not talking cheap gifts either), usually prime rib and lobster. They were VERY family oriented, every year they had picnic where they rented out a picnic area, they had the bouncy-house things for children, they covered the cost for all the food (and lots of it), tubing down the river, formal photographs, a magician, rides, I can’t even remember everything they did for families. And you should have seen what they did for Halloween! We’re talking bands, all the candy you could dream of, the characters in attendance, games for families, gifts for EVERYONE (not just associates, and these were NICE gifts). He has a pension (not many companies today have a pension). They arranged for a financial advisor for us when he retired. They paid 80% of all orthodontic care, so all of my kids got braces at that price. Let me tell you, they really took care of their employees. When the company takes such good care of you, you are more willing to go the extra mile for them. If you had a problem (like you being a caregiver needing something, anything), they would work with you. We had great medical and dental before having to go on Social Security. When Vince had to be in the hospital overseas, they covered everything medical.

Tracey – what a gorgeous ceramic set!

Terri – is there something special you’re looking for at IKEA, or just casually looking to see if something catches your eye?

Heather – lovely picture!

KJ – good idea donating food!

Anne – I’m so sorry you won’t be able to get to the show. It usually doesn’t start to get dark here until about 6:30. But you are further north and east of me, so that explains it.

Well, off to get things done.

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Texture: DrewB coat it is like petting velvet because of her greyhound lineage.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Michele - Sounds like Mars is a wonderful company to work for. If a person gets with the right privately owned company, there are tons of benefits.

My hectic yet rewarding job story:
    When we moved to the Seattle area in 1977, the only job I could find was in the distribution department of New England Fish Company. Lots of shipping documents and reconciling frozen and canned inventory, which I loved.

They went bankrupt -- come to find out they had plenty of assets, the bank that held their loans pulled a fast one. All the creditors got fully paid, plus interest. But the company's main sales folks left, many to start their own companies.

Anyhow, I was soon picked up by a very small seafood processor (5 person office) and distributor in Seattle with a plant in Kodiak, AK and worked as their shipping manager/sales administrator. Talk about lucky. When the company made money - and there was plenty during the King Crab explosion - we got big bonuses, money paid into profit sharing, invites to big Christmas parties with every kind of seafood imaginable and plenty of drink to wash it down, lol.

When King Crab died out a bit in the 80's, the bloom was off the rose and I was ready to move on - find something part time so I could enjoy life and work with the sheep. And I did.

The thing about the job was ... a person had to roll in the door before 6 AM because that's when the action started. Large retailers like Safeway and others in the US and throughout the world had to secure product for their ads. It was a madhouse for the first several hours most days -- arranging custom packing at the large Seattle cold storages, booking trucks and airline containers to get this perishable stuff moving.

So a person who wanted to sleep in or have a non-hectic casual atmosphere wouldn't have lasted long.
    I was and still am an adrenaline junkie. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    My brother LOVES Heather's painting.

Karen in Virginia
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Love the grateful list but knew I had to make it easier than going back and forth…
    Grateful:
    1 smell. Damp redwoods
    2 technology. electricity
    3 color. Yellow – the sun
    4 food. Soup
    5 sound. Birds
    6 nature. Ilove it all, gardening, walking, feeling far enough away from the hurry hurry of the city

7 memory. My dad, he died in 1977 and he had a huge impact on me
    8 book. Poems by Robert Service
    9 place. Gualala, CA I love camping there
    10 taste. Sweet – especially ice cream on warm berry pie
    11 holiday. Christmas but sometimes my birthday - I can be in charge of my B-day and Christmas includes potential for too much drama
    12 texture. Cashmere – soft fuzzy
    13 abilities.
    14 sight.
    15 season.
    16 about your body.
    17 knowledge.
    18 piece of art.
    19 touch.
    20 who.
    21 song.
    22 story.
    23 tradition.
    24 challenge.
    25 moment this week.
    26 form of expression.
    27 daily use item.
    28 what happen today.
    29 friend/family member.
    30 talent or skill

Have friends coming for dinner tonight, so everything is ready and I will be embroidering in a minute until they arrive.
    Kim in N. California
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/kids- 1hr 31min 32sec, 37elev, 2.62ap, 83ahr, 93mhr, 4.05mi= 206c
    Strava app =496c
    Housecleaning etc- 50min, laundry fold and put away, change bedsheets, pack Bette some more= 250c

Total cal 686
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Chillin with the pup.. and watching Discovery +
    Took a shower and in my jammies and relaxing..
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    Options
    >>