Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,598 Member
    Options
    From the OP:
    acpgee wrote: »
    @AnnPT77
    I forgot to mention I grill the pineapple and red onion on a cast iron griddle pan. I also skewer the thick red onion slices using bamboo satay prickers, so that the slices stay intact on the grill, making them easier to flip. After peeling, prick through the onion in the latitudinal direction every 3/4 inch or so, then slice into disks between the satay sticks.

With respect to modern apple varieties, do you find Pink Lady too sweet? I like their crispness.

I do buy Pink Lady sometimes. For me, it's sweeter than I'd prefer, but I like it better than some of the other modern varieties. Thank you!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Speaking of apples I used some granny smiths in this recipe last night, seeing as we have mojama (=salt cured tuna) that we dragged home from our recent vacation in Valencia.
    https://www.nomadistribution.com.au/recipes/traditional-spanish/52-mojama-recipes
    1q4usgqnds7y.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    BTW I discovered making tonight's salad that easy peel mandarins a b**ch to segment and remove pith from. If you are cooking with citrus, stick to varieties where the outer membrane doesn't separate too easily from the skin, and where the segments don't fall apart once the peel is removed.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    That salad, too, looks really yummy @acpgee! I do like Granny Smith apples for some things. For example, that's what I always use when I'm asked to make "traditional" mayo-type coleslaw for family gatherings. It needs a little sweetness, IMO, but I don't like sugar in it - too cloying. The Granny Smiths add a little brightness, too. The family loves my coleslaw 🤷‍♀️, and none of them are allergic to apples, so what they don't know won't hurt them.

I like my coleslaw OK, but I never make mayo coleslaw for myself. It's just what they always want me to bring, though. I think the other stuff I eat is mostly a little too weird, maybe? This is mostly a group of people who seem to prefer eating things they've eaten before 😆 . . . I guess it's reassuring somehow?

@mtaratoot, Michigan is a big apple growing state, but not so much right around here - more along the Lake Michigan ridges, where there's some lake effect moderation of temperature extremes. There is quite a selection of different local apple types (at farmers markets and the huuuge local produce market here in town), but it's mostly the modern sweet varieties.

I cannot love Honeycrisp, though many of my friends do. I've never seen Kingston Black or Arkansas Black here that I can recall. I found Winesaps last Fall, but none this year so far, though the store where I found them is carrying other apples from that same Michigan-based orchard/company. The last bag I bought were Empire, and I don't hate them, but they're not Winesaps.

I'm probably partly psychologically poisoned by my own curmudgeonliness. It seems like many fruits just get sweeter and sweeter (grapes come to mind as another example) and the super-sweet types drive out availability of other varieties I personally prefer and think have a more complicated flavor profile.

I also seem to have trouble getting tangerines that taste like I remember tangerines tasting back in the day. I don't find the currently-common tangerines objectionable, but they somehow taste less "tangerine-y" and to me more like an orange variant.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,421 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @AnnPT77

Slaw. I'm not a mayo guy. There's a place on the coast that makes a slaw that is really good. It's more of a vinegar slaw than a mayo slaw; plus one there. The secret though is they use fennel. Oh my it's so good. A little purple cabbage for color, too. Love it.

There's another place twenty miles farther down the coast that uses apples in their slaw, and it's a mayo slaw. I don't like it at all.

And a funny story about why I don't go to the second place so much. Well, there's more, but this one takes the cake. They make clam chowder in-house. They have New England style and Manhattan style. I don't like the sickly thick cream style soup, and it's often hard to find a good Manhattan chowder. Well, one time my ex and I were at this place and ordered the chowder. The server said they would have to make some more because they were out. We said we don't mind waiting; we're on vacation. We were friendly as always. Eventually the chowder came out.

My ex said, "I don't think there's any clams in this." I thought maybe she was right. We asked the server. She said, "We have two kinds of chowder, clam chowder and Manhattan chowder, and there's no clams in Manhattan chowder." Ummm... OK. Well I grabbed a menu from the next table over. Right smack in the middle of the menu is an area outlined by a thick red border that clearly says "Homemade clam chowder" and lists New England Style and Manhattan Style. The server clearly saw me looking at the menu and came up and said, "I know it says clam chowder on the menu, but there's no clams in Manhattan chowder." I said there always was in the past. She stuck to her guns. It would have been so easy for her to apologize and comp the soup for us. Nope. My only regret is that I left her a nice tip.

I have never been back.

They were always slow with service. I can abide that. They make a few good dishes. The slaw isn't one of them. I can abide slow service. But when my dad and I were visiting one time and were seated, we sat for quite a while. Another couple was seated. They got menus and had their order taken before we even got menus. I asked my dad if it would be OK if we left and went somewhere else. He said yeah. That was before the chowder incident. And I'll never go back there. There's too many other good options.

I have something else to say about chowder in general, and while chowder always has potatoes and Manhattan chowder has tomatoes, it's probably too far removed from produce to write about here. Maybe I'll start another post somewhere about chowder.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Regarding granny smith in slaws. I typically substitute hard to find green papaya or green mango for a combination of spiralized carrots and granny smith in SE Asian salads such as Som Tam. A combination of grated celeriac and granny smith would work too, I think.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Regarding granny smith in slaws. I typically substitute hard to find green papaya or green mango for a combination of spiralized carrots and granny smith in SE Asian salads such as Som Tam. A combination of grated celeriac and granny smith would work too, I think.
    I'd like those variations - the relatives would balk at it, because I think they'd *see* it. So weird, to me!

The young-adult nephew was offended when he learned that the chocolate chip cookies he'd liked on tasting - had bananas! 🤣

I don't mind pushing their perceptions generally . . . less on holidays, though.

Holidays are hug time. They keep me in their circle - the widowed relative - on sufferance. I appreciate that deeply, want to please them.

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I eat an insane amount of veggies starting with breakfast. Roasted/cast iron/steamed, you name it. Sometimes I'll get em all cooked up and zap em in the Vitamix for a nice soup. I also grow Ponderosa lemons. Baby those giant tart girls like a momma bear till just perfect for harvest!

Ugli fruit is my winter love <3 sooo hard to find. Its always a conundrum for the produce manager.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I mourn that older varieties of apples are less available. Most of the modern ones are too sweet, too simple tasting, and I don't love the texture. Granny Smith taste fine, but I'd prefer something of firmness intermediate between that and the average run of apples. I'd like some more tartness, some wine-y-ness than most of the sweety-sweet moderns. Rave apples were better than average, though not ideal, but I don't often see them. My old school favorites are Winesaps, but I almost never see them anymore.

I've tried too many of the newer varieties to list. Does anyone have any to suggest that I might look out for?

Thanks!
    I have the same problem. I noticed that apples are usually classified as "crunchy" or "sweet" here in Toronto, no one seems to be talking about taste. My (slightly extreme) thoughts on that is that glass test tubes are very crunchy and icing sugar is very sweet. Neither are particularly attractive as foods. As for Granny Smith, to me, they are comparable to test tubes covered in citric acid.

I tend to eat Cortland apples the most, they are fragile and don't last long, but they are probably the tastiest I can find in my neck of the woods.

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I think you get more crunchy bang for your buck if you can find tree-ripened apples directly at the farm. I was lucky to nab a huge box of tree-ripened apples and the taste/crunch/sweetness couldn't be rivaled by any 6-10 month storage-bin apple!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I think you get more crunchy bang for your buck if you can find tree-ripened apples directly at the farm. I was lucky to nab a huge box of tree-ripened apples and the taste/crunch/sweetness couldn't be rivaled by any 6-10 month storage-bin apple!

When possible, I'm getting mine at farmers markets from local-ish growers. Generally, if it's apple season, they will have been picked in the past day or so. But a too-sweet too-simple (to my taste) apple variety is still too sweet and too simple, even if fresh. I agree that tree-ripened and fresh-picked are usually best, within any given variety, though.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I don't normally cook squashes besides courgette as they are generally too big for our household of two. We were supposed host a friend for dinner who cancelled at the last minute and I prepared the planned roast dinner anyway. What do you do with two thirds of of a leftover roast butternut squash? It is not sweetened really, as I sprinkled the tiniest pinch of brown sugar on top. We have a couple of leftover roast new potatoes and a little roast cherry tomato, both skin on too.

Was considering a soup made by sauteeing some onion, adding scooped out leftover squash and peeled leftover potato and skin on tomatoes. Blitzing that with the immersion blender and maybe adding a handful of split red lentils. Maybe stir in the leftover bit of Philly light cream cheese languishing in the fridge just before serving?

Ideas on what to do with the squash and other roast veg welcome.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I don't normally cook squashes besides courgette as they are generally too big for our household of two. We were supposed host a friend for dinner who cancelled at the last minute and I prepared the planned roast dinner anyway. What do you do with two thirds of of a leftover roast butternut squash? It is not sweetened really, as I sprinkled the tiniest pinch of brown sugar on top. We have a couple of leftover roast new potatoes and a little roast cherry tomato, both skin on too.

Was considering a soup made by sauteeing some onion, adding ?scooped out leftover squash and peeled leftover potato and skin on tomatoes. Blitzing that with the immersion blender and maybe adding a handful of split red lentils. Maybe stir in the leftover bit of Philly light cream cheese languishing in the fridge just before serving?

Ideas on what to do with the squash and other roast veg .

The soup would be good. I'd consider sage or something smoked (smoked hot peppers are nice with squash IMO). Some toasted seeds (something hull-less, maybe pepitas or sunflower?) on top or blended in (or both) are good, IMO, too.

But I don't usually have leftover squash, unless you count my intentional vast freezer stockpile!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,421 Member
    Options
    @acpgee

If you make the soup, and if "fishy" fish is something you eat, add a can of mackerel right before you serve the soup. I ate a lot of winter squash soup with mackerel when I was in grad school. Makes me nostalgic. Maybe I'll make some. I bet it would be good with salmon, too.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @acpgee

If you make the soup, and if "fishy" fish is something you eat, add a can of mackerel right before you serve the soup. I ate a lot of winter squash soup with mackerel when I was in grad school. Makes me nostalgic. Maybe I'll make some. I bet it would be good with salmon, too.
    Most fish will be great, but the fattiest are probably best indeed. I love sardines, especially fresh or frozen ones, but even the canned ones are a great addition, which is what I usually do since fresh/frozen ones are usually not available where I live.