December 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Morning all.
    Took yesterday off, as had a bit of a cough+cold...

Got a 5 in. On 39 (/153)
    ublggcbokslt.png

Really cold out here....

I know 0 for us is 32F for you guys...
    mcq3qdl6u73s.png

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,074 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart It’s so hot here right now, I would <3<3<3 a rain run!
    Laurz9191 wrote: »
    I’m so glad to be joining this running group/challenge/thread or whatever the official term is for it ;). I almost always run alone, so it’s nice to actually be able to talk with other people about running :).

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. My husband is actually really good about listening to me, but I run alone too so my online communities are so great for running conversation and advice!

Final countdown @Scott6255 @quilteryoyo! How’s your race day weather looking?
  • martaindale
    Options
    Dec total: 46.5/150 miles

12/1: 3 miles
    12/2: 8 miles
    12/3: 7 miles
    12/4: 7 miles
    12/5: 9 miles
    12/6: 6 miles
    12/8: 6.5 miles

The rest day did me some good. I did 1mi run, 0.5mi walk today but ran through the last walk segment. It was really warm this morning and humid as usual. But, despite the less than awesome conditions, my run segments felt comfortable and my overall pace was good. I am basically back on my plan but making some adjustments for the long run. I was supposed to do 16 mi again this weekend, but that’s too big of a jump, so I’m thinking 12 then try for 15-16 next weekend before heading into the taper.
    I am interested to see how my pace holds up over a long run. If it stays where it is now, I’d likely only be adding 45-60 secs to what my continuous running + walking aid stations pace would have been. That would be great. One thing I have noticed is that I actually feel hungry during my runs now that I’m walking some. It’s like my HR comes down enough that my stomach gets a chance to notice it’s empty. Usually, I don’t feel hunger, even on long runs until I stop moving.
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    Dec total: 46.5/150 miles

12/1: 3 miles
    12/2: 8 miles
    12/3: 7 miles
    12/4: 7 miles
    12/5: 9 miles
    12/6: 6 miles
    12/8: 6.5 miles

The rest day did me some good. I did 1mi run, 0.5mi walk today but ran through the last walk segment. It was really warm this morning and humid as usual. But, despite the less than awesome conditions, my run segments felt comfortable and my overall pace was good. I am basically back on my plan but making some adjustments for the long run. I was supposed to do 16 mi again this weekend, but that’s too big of a jump, so I’m thinking 12 then try for 15-16 next weekend before heading into the taper.
    I am interested to see how my pace holds up over a long run. If it stays where it is now, I’d likely only be adding 45-60 secs to what my continuous running + walking aid stations pace would have been. That would be great. One thing I have noticed is that I actually feel hungry during my runs now that I’m walking some. It’s like my HR comes down enough that my stomach gets a chance to notice it’s empty. Usually, I don’t feel hunger, even on long runs until I stop moving.

@martaindale hmmm tricky one - about being hungry.
    Do you take gels?
  • martaindale
    Options
    @Fit2btied2016 Yay!! Congrats! That feeling of hitting the first 5k without walking was huge and so motivating! I loved your play by play. It sounds a lot like what happens in my head. :D
  • martaindale
    Options
    @martaindale hmmm tricky one - about being hungry.
    Do you take gels?

I take gels on longer runs. This was more of a "Hmmm, I feel hungry. That's weird." This was morning and I just had a banana and espresso before heading out so I would usually be hungry right after but I'm not used to being able to feel it during my run.
    This morning did make me realize that it's probably a good thing I have been training with some nut butter based "gels" mixed in between the gu as those will do a better job helping me not feel hungry but still being easy to take during a race.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @Fit2btied2016 Yay!! Congrats! That feeling of hitting the first 5k without walking was huge and so motivating! I loved your play by play. It sounds a lot like what happens in my head. :D

I agree!!!! Well done!!!!!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Very well done @Fit2btied2016! That is a huge accomplishment! And you did it with such flair! 😃
    Really great job 👍
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Still not 100%. Nasty chesty, 'echoey' cough... But forced another 5 in!

(Already committed to going out tonight... D'ohhh! 🤦Think it's gonna be Scotch or Brandy rather than cold beers!)

(44/153)
    e9vvn7b2yseu.png

@quilteryoyo - all the best for your run this weekend.
    You too, @Scott6255 !

@martaindale - I had a gel for the first time last week on my 20 Miler with my Sonic The Hedgehog running buddy. I didn't know what to expect so didn't really 'overthink it' -if that makes sense. I took the gel around the 15M region, and found it provided a boost. Not immediately - but remember doing 18M and thinking, 'yeah I got this!'. I tend to run on an empty stomach. Which I don't know is wise or
    not. When I first starting outdoor running (during Lockdown in 2020 when gyms closed) wife made me eat a banana before running but found it made me gag/reflux-y at little. Could feel it at back of throat which I didn't like. Bone of contention with wife, because she doesn't like idea of running long distance at pace on an empty stomach (thinks I'll pass out). So kinda just have a very sugary milky tea in the mornings now (and I think the gels worked for me!).
    @Fit2btied2016 - well done, you! First landmark run! 🥳
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I have been so focused and narrow minded about my race that I neglected your upcoming milestone race! I wanted to wish you the best and I really hope it will be a great race and enjoyable for you! 🙂