WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    Suebdew: welcome back!

Allie: Miles was the first thing I saw when I logged in here this morning. He’s such a happy chappie!

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Barbara and Michele thanks for the welcome back.

Machka - loved the Gentle Goals - so much so, I've saved them to my desktop. :) Thank you.

I haven't set any new year goals/resolutions, I have routines that I do everyday. I also set an alarm in the evening to remind me to have a quick tidy before bed, and make sure the dishes are washed, dried and put away ready for the next day. If I didn't have the alarm to remind me, I would forget! I'd think about it just before bed, but would then be too tired to do anything about it.

I've rejoined the Take Your House Back group with Dana (a Slob comes clean) Dawn (the minimal mom) and Cas (Clutterbug) I'm slowly getting my house back into some sort of order. I love listening to these ladies, trouble is I need to spend less time listening and more time doing! :D I am getting better and as Dana says - "It doesn't have to be perfect, just better than it was"

Sending prayers to Destiny

Lisa any news of Bella?

Barbara like you I'm thinking boring is good as it means nothing drastic/bad has happened. I'm thankful for my boring life. Although I wouldn't mind an adventure this year going back to Machka's gentle goals 'Say yes to adventures'.

Take care everyone and love to all <3
    Viv UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I like this. That's me this year! Of course, my poor overworked son did it instead, and I did feel a bit guilty, but he's a man so it's OK. :p:p:p

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/jan/02/why-christmas-and-diwali-hanukkah-and-eid-are-cancelled-women-unpaid-care

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Monday Morning!
    We are working today. I would have loved one more day off, but I am okay with going in. Hopefully we will be busy. I managed to get a handle on work yesterday. Still behind, but feeling much better about where I am. I worked 10 hours sitting on my couch. I tried to remember to get up and walk/stretch occasionally. I did take a break and help DH put some Christmas into the barn and go through some boxes of his mom's Christmas stuff that was up there. Unfortunately a lot of that she put up there in cardboard boxes which the critters destroyed. We did keep a few items and are donating some items to a local senior center. I cooked dinner too. I feel good about my accomplishments. Oh, and I cleared off more flat spaces in the living room. Less stuff out makes me happy. Funny that I don't "see" the stuff in the 4 (yes 4) china cabinets we have.

Viv I too love Dawn and Cas! Cas helped me learn that I am not lazy, just a Ladybug! It has helped me immensely! My things stay much better organized since I have used the tips she has. My husband is a bee. He has to see and is very meticulous in organizing. Minimalism is a little harder for me, but I have used Dawn's tips too to downsize. I will have to check out Dana.

Lisa So sad about Bella. I had one of my fur babies that disappeared on the 4th of July. She was a chow and never liked to be inside. We were out for the evening.......I hope Bella makes it back safely.

2. List 5 things using each of your senses.. The sound of the heat running in the house. The taste of my coffee. The smell of warmy bear. The softness of my mattress. The wind chimes are what I see in my room.

Hugs for All!
    Healing Prayers for those needing them!
    High fives as we head into this new year as we made it!
    <3
    Kylia in Ohio where it is foggy and spring like
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Heather UK That is me! The only holiday that I generally do a majority of the prep is Thanksgiving. Even then I have learned to share some of those tasks as well. I do Christmas cards because that is my pleasure. I have made gift giving easier. Give me a list or get $. I really dislike return lines and all my grands are teens. I keep to budgets I set up for Christmas and birthdays. I generally still do Easter, but it is something simple. My girls have taken over filling the eggs and the guys hide them for the hunt.

About the darkness in January/February....it sucks! I do live in Ohio and Ginny will agree we tend to have more grey days all winter but Jan/Feb I agree are dark. It was sad when I came home NYE and the street and our house were once again dark. We have bright white lights in the house which help along with Vitamin D.

<3
    Kylia really needing to get out of the warmth of my bed ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    I like this. That's me this year! Of course, my poor overworked son did it instead, and I did feel a bit guilty, but he's a man so it's OK. :p:p:p

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/jan/02/why-christmas-and-diwali-hanukkah-and-eid-are-cancelled-women-unpaid-care

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I have never organised a family festival. I have never slaved in the kitchen for any holidays or get-together.

I did the buying gifts thing with my first husband but when we separated over 20 years ago, the buying gifts thing diminished significantly. I did the card and letter thing for a little while, but dropped it some time ago too, at least a decade.

Holidays are time for ME to relax and do something enjoyable. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Today was the last day of my leave. I've had nearly 3 weeks off and needed it! I feel like I could use another couple weeks, but there are a lot of long weekends coming up in the next few months.

Today the weather people predicted a massive thunderstorm, and we could see storm clouds all around, and apparently an area north and west of the city got hit, but we got nothing. Not even a drop of rain.

I figured I'd be out there for maybe an hour and then I'd be back inside, and we might do some inside exercise in our gym.

Instead I spent about 3 hours in the garden, weeding at first, then watering (with a "watering can") and then organising my rocks for the dry stream edge.

We live on a very sloped lot, so weeding and watering involves climbing up and down and up and down stairs and hills.

In the evening, I put away my laundry to be ready for the week ahead and have been catching up on bits and pieces.

Machka in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Katla thinking of you and your DH. I'm hoping his health is improving each day. Just so glad your DD is such a wonderful support.

Betsy in NW WA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Tracey - Karen - Kim - Stilleto's! :D Thanks for the first laugh of the day.

Kim - I think about your situation with your mom a lot. It can be such a job dealing with our older mothers - sometimes we need to be their parent, sometimes their friend, but we're always their kid it seems. My mom has been gone over 20 years and I still run into situations where I "hear" her in a firm voice saying something that makes me feel a little guilty and that I need to try to please her.

Karen - so glad you are there for your brother, your spouse, Jillian, and well, just everybody! <3 Neat story about how your mom started her day. Early morning quiet time well spent.

Betsy - your 2022 was much like mine. We journey on.

Sue in WA - SO GLAD the propane guy finally showed up. Crazy about the frozen pipes. Don't blame you for being disgusted - why move from S. Dakota to have to deal with this stuff indeed! Hope the cold stays away for a long time. I don't know about you, but my sinuses are confused and I'm wondering if I'll need the hay fever meds a couple months early. :s

Katla - glad to hear your husband is doing better. So glad you are closer to him now and you're getting prepared for Midwest weather! Big change from western Oregon for sure. Do you still do yoga stretches? I try to do a few first thing in the morning just to get the kinks out, lol. And I've been doing a few modified, super easy knee planks - several of you did a lot of planks a few years ago as I recall.

Vivian - sorry to hear you and your mom weren't feeling well and dampened the holidays for you. Very glad to see you back, energy returning.

SueBDew - Happy New Year!

Does anyone hear from JanetR? Miss her. Her family had so much going on.

Lisa - praying Bella returns. Darn fireworks. I'll bet lots of doggies will end up at the animal shelter, hope she's one of them if she hasn't returned yet.

Barbara - being 1/2 mile from the maintained road is great but can be challenging. Your garbage and downed trees for example, same here although the garbage truck does come through. Snow plow, however, can pile 3' of snow at the entrance to our road and block access unless someone wants to shovel or punch through with a 4WD pickup. New neighbors moving in from CA or the city wonder when "they" will plow the road. Now they see why having someone next door with a big pickup is vital, lol.

Tracey - Heather - Allie and others with littles close by .... love those pix of the grands. I was just reading how good it is for grandmothers to babysit. Can't recall the specifics but when I think about it, look at the benefits of play, and moving/lifting. Love flowing in both directions.

Barbie - I just downloaded "The Bullet that Missed" by Richard Osman. Have you and Jake read that one yet? I want to get a lot of tasks done this morning so I can sit and read in peace, if I can convince the dog and cat to cooperate, lol.

Thanks to everyone who commented and liked my "list". Do you realize it's a compilation of wisdom I've picked up from you ladies and the authors/websites/podcasts you've mentioned?

Talk about gratitude... I've been on this list for over 5 years. During that time I learned about strength training - "Strong Women Stay Young", all versions Fasting from 5:2 to Time restricted and beyond, Resistant starch (remember Rye?), ways to save money on electricity and using clothes hangers to dry laundry, great tips on shoes and walking in all kinds of weather.... I could go on and on.

Had I not run across this group, where would I be in my health journey? <3 Probably still puttering along with WW, counting points. Seems like a different life to what I have now.

I recall when I first got on this list, I was intimidated and overwhelmed by the comradery among the ladies in the group. I actually wrote down names of the frequent posters and little tidbits about each one, including location, so I could comment without looking like a total dork. Very glad I stuck it out - everyone was so welcoming. So newbies, as others have said, find a topic that interests you and jump on in. ;)

Alex and his landscaping team will be here on Wednesday. I need to get out today or tomorrow and get some "before" pictures. They have some major pruning, bush and wooden fence removal. Glad they are conditioned to work in the cold. He speaks and writes perfect English, his team is Hispanic and I sure wish I would have taken Spanish as a second language. German and French which I took in school don't work although I can still count to ten in both languages and say "good morning". My DH was raised with both Italian and French grandparents in the same small town and picked up Spanish easily when he supervised landscaping crews in Seattle for a while.

I'm thinking about learning Spanish but would need someone to speak it with all the time to get my "ear" - that's the way I learn. Who knows, the opportunity just might present itself shortly. :)

OK better get crackin. Making a batch of caponata today.

As always, make it a fabulous week! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year once again to all, and welcome to all of you who are new to the thread. Don't forget to bookmark us with the symbol up at the top right of each page. When you've selected it, it will turn blue like this:
    zhbylg8hoc80.png
    The thread moves fast, with dozens posting daily, but don't feel you have to answer us all! Just drop into any conversation that interests you! Don't forget to sign each post the name you want to be called and a general location so we can get to know you!

Regards,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Hoping Bella shows back up before they go..praying for a good outcome..
    Viv...what is the name of that group your talking about? I need all the help I can get with my place...
    Saterday is Miles 1st Birthday..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    We leave our Christmas lights up until end of January because of the darkness here. Our neighbors do the same and it helps. I found some white light cone trees the last one Target had on display. It goes with my white angel and birds. It really makes a wonderful vignette.

Started my weekly golden moments of the week yesterday.
    Como's green and white Christmas exhibit
    Laughing with my painting friends over how we had each other's lives...
    MIA visit... one of my favorites was the sculpture of youth examining his foot. Botticelli's drawing inspired by the sculpture. The Gift of the Magi...sprinkles of gold light shining down on mother and child who were the center and highest point in the painting. Faces of crowd who you would see the same expressions today. The one staring out at you to draw you into the painting. The one looking puffed up looking down his nose.
    DrewB loving my friend's visit...
    Working with DH to get the thermostat so quickly fixed!

VivI too when I adopted the attitude just make it better rather than make it perfect this took tremendous pressure off me. I also find if I take a few minutes after finishing a project to put things away when I am done this helps too. I agree about getting dishes before bed. I don't always succeed on that one but I find it does help the next day to get off to a better start.

Lisa Hope Bella finds her way home soon..
    (((Kelly)))
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    That would be me, Rita! Totally my list that I made by combining a bunch of lists together.

I actually have a gratitude journal that I write in every morning too Barbie. I write my "memories" from yesterday, then at least one gratitude and one blessing, and then what the "plan" is for today. You know how to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Rebecca, that is GREAT!!! You could give him a washable marker and he could erase it every time he leaves! LOL

OMGosh, Heather... I remember when we had Caddie for eight months. (back when Anne was deployed) Then she had the AUDACITY to want her daughter back when she returned! HOW DARE SHE! LOL. The house was so quiet. It was deafening. That's when we got Harley.

Oh shoot Lisa, I'm sorry. That's hard. I'll say some extra prayers for Bella.

Praying for Destiny.

HI ANNE! Welcome. Make yourself at home. We're quite chatty. Join in or not.

2 List 5 things using each of your senses… hoar frost on my trees, that beeper that we can’t find that keeps going off, morning coffee that tastes sooooo good, tapping the computer keys, congested(lol)
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
    I really, REALLY like this gratitude thing, so I grabbed a boatload of these lists and I tweaked it big time! So I'm going to keep it going... myself. One day you're doing, or NOT doing... like the 1st, the next day you're thinking/reflecting.
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think
    My three minutes turned into five and then almost ten... it was so relaxing. But then Mom was really into transcendental meditation when we were kids and taught us all how to do it. I've missed that. We were all able to slow our heartbeats WAY down. I've used that so many times in the last several years in all sorts of meaninful ways! LOL Think I need to add this to my daily prayers every morning again.
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses… hoar frost on my trees, that beeper that we can’t find that keeps going off, morning coffee that tastes sooooo good, tapping the computer keys, congested(lol)
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I did some yoga! Yay! And I walked ten minutes. I learned that if I procrastinate by having tea, my walking will be interrupted by a bathroom break.

Annie in Delaware
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lanette, Your boring lists are interesting & inspiring. Borrowing.

___

1 Sit in silence for three minutes. The Mind Monkeys were chattering, so does that actually count as silence?

2 List 5 things using each of your senses: Eyesight: fog; Hearing: Molly yipping to go for a walk and Mabel growling to warn her to cool it; Taste: hot tea; Touch: slippery mineral oil residual on fingertips after paraffin bath treatment; Smell: clean laundry.
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house nji
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...