WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Allie, the course is called Take Your House Back. It may still be on sale. They were running a special. I’m not sure. It’s kind of pricey, but once you join you can renew every year for $10. I got in on the original launch of the course, so got a really good deal. If you think the price is too high, I suggest starting with Dana K White’s book Decluttering at the Speed of Life. She has others. How to Manage Your Home without Losing Your Mind is also good, but she does spend a huge portion of it telling you to just do your dishes. Dana is my favorite of the three. I like that she is not a minimalist and has practical suggestions for decluttering without making a bigger mess. You can really learn a lot just hy reading her blog A Slob Comes Clean without buying anything.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Debbie ~ Destiny is such a lovely young lady. I am praying for her.

Kim ~ Bless you for helping your neighbors. That was hard work and very few would have been that kind and thoughtful.

Sue B Dew ~ So glad to see you posting. I do not have difficulty seeing my computer, but, I have a short attention span and have to read in bits. Glad your family helped with some of the outside chores during Thanksgiving. Sorry your hair fell out after the C shot.

Lisa ~ So sorry about Bella being MIA! Hope she returns. Maybe Cory will have a change of heart after this.

Viv ~ Good luck on your house cleaning/de-cluttering. I sure need to do that.

Heather ~ The article by Nilanjana Bhowmick was spot on! Exactly how I have begun to feel the older I get.

Carol in GA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    2023 GOALS
    Word of the year: Appreciate :Definition—Recognize the full worth of. Today I appreciate my DH never driving when he drinks!
    cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week.
    Average 7,000 steps a week.
    Update budget every 2 weeks
    Contact close family every week (4x)-4,
    Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)7,
    Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140.
    Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week.—1,
    Read 12 books at least this year.
    Pay off credit card debt by January 2024
    Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)

Gratitude list

1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think —DONE
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses.Seeing my dogs all curled up sleeping, smelling my essential oils, tasting good food, hearing the quiet while walking, feeling the wind on my skin
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...
    Started on my goals and feel good about them this year. Not too many, and SMART goals. They address my social, health, financial, and mental needs. A little of each should go a long way,.

DH is with me on a big goal. We are going to reduce/stop drinking to 2 day a week only. I am glad he is on board with this. It will help both of us once he gets over the ‘grumpiest’ from backing off,LOL

RVRita in cloudy NM

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Thank You Barbie! I'm a newbie! Lots of inspiring words here. I'm coming off a year of a lot of bad's from way too many deaths/health issues. The health issues can be straightened out "thankful". So my word for 2023 will be "CHOICES ". Happy New Year Everyone !

Welcome! The thing I always try to remember is that it only takes one positive thing, one good decision, then another. Then soon its a good day, then a good week.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    bxj2bt8onrgb.jpeg

And this was when Rebecca broke her butt muscle.....😂😂😂😂
    And here we thought it was a new dance move!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    Thank You Barbie! I'm a newbie! Lots of inspiring words here. I'm coming off a year of a lot of bad's from way too many deaths/health issues. The health issues can be straightened out "thankful". So my word for 2023 will be "CHOICES ". Happy New Year Everyone !

:) Welcome. When I started here I sorted out all the things I thought were important in my life and noted which of them seemed to be at odds with each other so I could figure out what was most important. I cannot simultaneously say that healthy eating and exercise are most important while filling my day my day with baking sweet treats and sitting on the couch knitting and watching tv. It takes time to sort these things out. I hope you will keep coming back.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Whidislander
    Options
    That would be me, Rita! Totally my list that I made by combining a bunch of lists together.

I actually have a gratitude journal that I write in every morning too Barbie. I write my "memories" from yesterday, then at least one gratitude and one blessing, and then what the "plan" is for today. You know how to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Rebecca, that is GREAT!!! You could give him a washable marker and he could erase it every time he leaves! LOL

OMGosh, Heather... I remember when we had Caddie for eight months. (back when Anne was deployed) Then she had the AUDACITY to want her daughter back when she returned! HOW DARE SHE! LOL. The house was so quiet. It was deafening. That's when we got Harley.

Oh shoot Lisa, I'm sorry. That's hard. I'll say some extra prayers for Bella.

Praying for Destiny.

HI ANNE! Welcome. Make yourself at home. We're quite chatty. Join in or not.

2 List 5 things using each of your senses… hoar frost on my trees, that beeper that we can’t find that keeps going off, morning coffee that tastes sooooo good, tapping the computer keys, congested(lol)
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
    I really, REALLY like this gratitude thing, so I grabbed a boatload of these lists and I tweaked it big time! So I'm going to keep it going... myself. One day you're doing, or NOT doing... like the 1st, the next day you're thinking/reflecting.
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think
    My three minutes turned into five and then almost ten... it was so relaxing. But then Mom was really into transcendental meditation when we were kids and taught us all how to do it. I've missed that. We were all able to slow our heartbeats WAY down. I've used that so many times in the last several years in all sorts of meaninful ways! LOL Think I need to add this to my daily prayers every morning again.
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses… hoar frost on my trees, that beeper that we can’t find that keeps going off, morning coffee that tastes sooooo good, tapping the computer keys, congested(lol)
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

Thinking I might need to open the back up and put a plexiglass over it for any stranger that decides using a pen would a cute thing.🙃
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • barbiecat
    Options
    I like this. That's me this year! Of course, my poor overworked son did it instead, and I did feel a bit guilty, but he's a man so it's OK. :p:p:p

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/jan/02/why-christmas-and-diwali-hanukkah-and-eid-are-cancelled-women-unpaid-care

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

:) I loved this article. My feeling about holiday preparations is that you should do only those things that bring you joy. There are things that were joyful for me for many years and when I stopped enjoying doing them, I stopped doing them. Now I do almost nothing related to holidays except watch an occasional movie or listen to a book or song.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • barbiecat
    Options
    AnneFrewin wrote: »
    Happy New Year! I’m Anne. I’m just joining this group and restarting my journey to eat healthier and lose the weight I put in in 2022. I like the idea of a word for the year but mine is two “ Breaking Free”. I need to break free of the things that have held me back and are holding me down. I look forward to learning from others and getting some support on this journey!

:) Welcome. I read this thread every morning while I eat my breakfast. I get good ideas and a great feeling of being among friends who care about me and want only the best for me.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • barbiecat
    Options

Barbie - I just downloaded "The Bullet that Missed" by Richard Osman. Have you and Jake read that one yet? I want to get a lot of tasks done this morning so I can sit and read in peace, if I can convince the dog and cat to cooperate, lol.

Thanks to everyone who commented and liked my "list". Do you realize it's a compilation of wisdom I've picked up from you ladies and the authors/websites/podcasts you've mentioned?

Talk about gratitude... I've been on this list for over 5 years. During that time I learned about strength training - "Strong Women Stay Young", all versions Fasting from 5:2 to Time restricted and beyond, Resistant starch (remember Rye?), ways to save money on electricity and using clothes hangers to dry laundry, great tips on shoes and walking in all kinds of weather.... I could go on and on.

Had I not run across this group, where would I be in my health journey? <3 Probably still puttering along with WW, counting points. Seems like a different life to what I have now.

B)
    SW WA State

:) Yes, I've read "The Bullet That Missed" and enjoyed every minute of it.

:) When I find a quote or an idea that I love, I take it as my own. I may not have thought of it myself, but I've had the insight and wisdom to recognize that it will serve me well. You went one step further and made a list and shared it with us. Not everyone will find it useful but those of us who do will begin to claim the ideas as our own and make use of them.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Rita I have done that too with names!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    So far it's been a great day! Now I just have to be satisfied and quit eating. And I could walk a little more. I have a pot roast on the stove for my parents.

I keep forgetting how much crappy food I ate to get here, and how I can't expect results until I have been good for several days, not several hours. Still, I was good today.

Annie in Delaware
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Praying for Destiny.

Beth