WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I guess I'm one of those rare people who is not negatively affected by the darkness. I didn't like it so much when I had to drive to and from work in the dark, but now I enjoy walking while it's dark. I do stuff in the house during the day and hardly notice whether it's light or dark.

:) Something that is misunderstood about minimalism is that it is not just about decluttering and getting rid of things. An important component is "intentional living". That means being intentional about buying things so you don't accumulate still more "stuff" that you'll want to get rid of later and being intentional about what you choose to do and doing only what is important and essential.

:) A good suggestion about all the books about decluttering is get them on audio and listen to them while cleaning, decluttering, or exercising so they don't require extra time that could be spend getting something accomplished.

<3 Barbie

When the time of year comes where it is dark on the way to work and dark on the way home, I often feel like crying. I feel so down.

I can't see my garden and exercising outside is next to impossible.

I often try to take some time off around then so I can be out during the daylight. That makes it a bit easier.

M in Oz

I have read that the tears shed due to emotion are chemically different from the tears shed due to eye irritation. Some people believe that crying when sad or happy is cathartic/therapeutic. Another of the amazing mysteries of our bodies.

Karen in Virginia
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,091 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Katla: Hope DH gets out of hospital soon.

WFTY: CONSOLIDATE
    Working on consolidating my Solid Habits

Machka: I think that graphic encapsulates what I have been doing for most of my life. One needs to make peace with the past to move forward.
    Accepting that past experiences made me the strong woman I am now was a key factor in my personal development.
    Realising that I couldn’t change the past, but I could change my attitude to it was fundamental.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Machka I am in the same group as you as far as darkness. I am a sunlight baby! The rare days that the sun comes out in the winter you will find me finding that sunny spot at the shop and standing in it for as long as I can!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I guess I'm one of those rare people who is not negatively affected by the darkness. I didn't like it so much when I had to drive to and from work in the dark, but now I enjoy walking while it's dark. I do stuff in the house during the day and hardly notice whether it's light or dark.

:) Something that is misunderstood about minimalism is that it is not just about decluttering and getting rid of things. An important component is "intentional living". That means being intentional about buying things so you don't accumulate still more "stuff" that you'll want to get rid of later and being intentional about what you choose to do and doing only what is important and essential.

:) A good suggestion about all the books about decluttering is get them on audio and listen to them while cleaning, decluttering, or exercising so they don't require extra time that could be spend getting something accomplished.

<3 Barbie

When the time of year comes where it is dark on the way to work and dark on the way home, I often feel like crying. I feel so down.

I can't see my garden and exercising outside is next to impossible.

I often try to take some time off around then so I can be out during the daylight. That makes it a bit easier.

M in Oz

I have read that the tears shed due to emotion are chemically different from the tears shed due to eye irritation. Some people believe that crying when sad or happy is cathartic/therapeutic. Another of the amazing mysteries of our bodies.

Karen in Virginia

I have heard that the tears are somehow different. If I were to cry when it gets dark, I don't know what my tears would be like because it would be crying from frustration and depression knowing that there's nothing that can be done. I can't change the tilt of the earth or it's rotation. Not cathartic, unfortunately.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I really, REALLY like this gratitude thing, so I grabbed a boatload of these lists and I tweaked it big time! So I'm going to keep it going... myself. One day you're doing, or NOT doing... like the 1st, the next day you're thinking/reflecting.
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think. Does silently working in the garden count? Done! I sat silently for 7 minutes and prayed.

2 List 5 things using each of your senses. Right now? I can see my Christmas decorations, I can hear Christmas songs, I can taste my coffee, I can smell my coffee, and I can feel a comfortable temperature in the room.

3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house. I'm not in a downsizing or reducing mode so I've taken some lunch things to work, I will take an item to be mailed and another to be given to the people at work.
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

• Machka9
    Options
    Regarding sitting silently ... a perfect day at work for me would be if everyone were out at an all day meeting and I was alone on my floor or in my area all day. I could spend the whole day not saying a word to anyone and with no interruptions ... in silence. :)

Although I might have classical music on some of the time.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    Hello all 👋 I would love to join this group. I am 55 ( how did that happen) and the heaviest that I’ve ever been 😳 Looking to join a fun, supportive, friendly group to help motivate and just make friends in a sense. Wishing you all much success!

:) Welcome. This is a great group for support and encouragement. The first trick to learn is to read this every day. It helps me to remember how important my health is and to know that others are on the journey with me.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Pip - I'm sorry the holiday ended up in an emotional uproar for your family. It is, unfortunately, one of the hazards of moving close to family. While at a lot of different levels I love my birth family, I do not want to live near them. We end up rehashing these traumas that we all tend to remember differently (and often at least one doesn't remember at all), and no one feels better about it once it's done. Drowning in my own and my brother and sister's emotion that fixes nothing is not my style. On the phone, I either stop listening or simply hang up. Honestly, if it fixed anything, I'd be all in, but it doesn't. No advice from me, your family is unique, as is mine, and your response to them seems calm enough. Sorry your mom is the way she is, you deserve better.
    Hello all 👋 I would love to join this group. I am 55 ( how did that happen) and the heaviest that I’ve ever been 😳 Looking to join a fun, supportive, friendly group to help motivate and just make friends in a sense. Wishing you all much success!

Welcome, @ShelleyMJ46 ! Happy New Year, jump into any conversation that suits you, and don't forget to bookmark the thread. This is a good way to make friends, though many of us tend to use the thread only and not the "friend" function of the site. If you'll sign your posts with what you'd like to be called and a general area where you live, we can get to know you better. Glad you're here!

Kylia - well done on setting yourself up well for work, and getting your lunch ready before you went to bed! I cannot get Corey to do that... but he's the one making his sandwich at 5 in the morning, not me. Makes me a little gaggy, in all truth, though I've done it for months on end when I'm not sleeping well. Touching cheese and meat in the early morning is a true act of love, I'm thinking. :D

Allie - Miles seems like such a happy little person. Having so much time with his grandma probably helps that, too.

Karen - Hope all goes well with the inducement (induction?) and mom and baby come through with flying colors... So exciting!

Kim and Debbie - are y'all getting flooded? and Kim, you are a wonderful neighbor, well done on saving the chickens!

Still working on my New Year's post.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Thx for your kind words. What you say is true

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options