WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Replies

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,295 Member
    edited January 2023
    Barbie ~ Thanks for welcoming us into 2023! :)

I do not have a word for the new year, but, I do hope to continue to grow into the person God has meant for me to be!

Katla ~ Continued thoughts for you and your husband. You have been through a lot this past year and hope things will get better.

Kelly ~ Sounds like you are having a great time with your daughter and the boys. Losing a beloved pet is such a sorrowful thing to go through.

Debbie ~ Hope you were able to sleep well in your own bed.

A Southern (Georgia) tradition is to have collard/turnip greens and black eyed peas on January 1st. This will wait until Monday for us as we are going to son's for steak!

Carol in GA
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Thanks so much for the JANUARY 2023 thread, Barbie!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!

I'll share the list I made again here, Kelly. Check it out below.

OMGosh that Miles Smile, Allie! DANG!

Oh Barbie... Harley was arguing with the fireworks again last night! I'm surprised he didn't have the neighbors up in arms! Hopefully they were all awake anyway. (and they didn't last long) smh, that little monster.

Is that supposed to be the Cheshire Cat, Heather? Love the artwork.

My three minutes turned into five and then almost ten... it was so relaxing. But then Mom was really into transcendental meditation when we were kids and taught us all how to do it. I've missed that. We were all able to slow our heartbeats WAY down. I've used that so many times in the last several years in all sorts of meaninful ways! LOL Think I need to add this to my daily prayers every morning again.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN

I really, REALLY like this gratitude thing, so I grabbed a boatload of these lists and I tweaked it big time! So I'm going to keep it going... myself. One day you're doing, or NOT doing... like the 1st, the next day you're thinking/reflecting.
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2023
    January 1, 2023 —

Barbie— Thank you for the gift of leading this wonderful group of women. Your leadership is exceptional, and I am grateful. ❤️

Kymarai — Happy New Year! I didn’t make it to midnight either. I was happy to be able to sleep for 8 hours. 😘

KJ LaMore — Happy New Year! Thank you for kind thoughts about my DH. He was comfortable in the hospital for our daughter’s & my visit. ⭐️

Allie— Happy face on Mr. Miles. Congratulations! You are an excellent grandma. 😊

Betsy— Happy New Year! I am looking forward to seeing your word for 2023. 🌸

Heather— Love the photos of Edie & her gingerbread house. Love your abstract painting, too. The colors are beautiful. 💖

Carol in GA— Thank you for your kind words about DH’s situation. He is getting good hospital care. ⭐️

Yesterday our daughter and I went to the hospital to visit DH. He is well cared for and comfortable. He is working on gaining strength and will come home when the doctors say he is ready.

After our visit to the hospital our daughter took me to a clothing store. She advised me about winter weather here. I came home with Lee jeans that fit well and a lovely light blue warm hooded winter coat. 💖

Winter weather here in Illinois is not as mild as our home beside the lower Columbia River in Oregon. I think this winter may be colder than we are used to experiencing. We’ll see how it goes.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,295 Member
    Lanette ~ I totally agree with you on this, I’m not doing any daily/monthly/yearly goals, although they’ve served me well in the past. Wise Barbie says “every day is the best day” and that’s so true. I'm no longer looking to the future for accomplishments or satisfaction. It's here right now. I can make it so if I choose.

Carol in GA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    2023 GOALS
    Word of the year: Appreciate :Definition—Recognize the full worth of. Today I appreciate my blankets. (Going to try to do this daily)
    cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week.
    Average 7,000 steps a week.
    Update budget every 2 weeks
    Contact close family every week (4x)
    Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)
    Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140.
    Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week.
    Read 12 books at least this year.
    Pay off credit card debt by January 2024
    Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)

Gratitude list

1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

Not sure who came up with this list, but I like it and will try it for this month.

I was in bed by 9 AM but woke up at midnight when my 13 year old GS sent me a Happy New Year message! I was thrilled and my heart swelled because no one made him do it. Then, the superintendent of the park did the same thing. That was surprising as he doesn’t usually do anything of that sort at all. Must have been encouraged by his new fiancé. LOL. But a nice start to the new year. In the morning, I heard from my whole family. Now just to call my mom and my goals have begun.

My average completion of 2022 goals was 100% but that was because some was done a lot more than my set goal and others were around 85% completed. One I am not happy about is I gained 9.5 pounds last year. Too much depression. This should and WILL change this year as I have that under control for now. Thank God for medication and therapy!

Happy New Year Everyone!

RVRita in 70 degree NM

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Picked up the groceries and then stopped to see Tom and Elena with Alfie,Elena's birthday is Thursday and brought her birthday present down..
    They enjoyed the Christmas presents I got them
    Today I will try and get a few things done..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,503 Member