WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Vickie - I was giggling about the TV situation at your house I have a 22 inch tv and am content. I do not have a wall in the living room big enough for a 55" - between doors, windows, and the fireplace....

Smiles Kim in N. California

Dh is wanting to get rid of the entertainment center in the living room so he can put a bigger tv in there. (he is rarely even in the living room- I am in here all the time, he is in his room but, maybe if there was one bigger/better than the one in his room, he would spend more time in here with me).
    There is one in almost every room. Just the bathrooms don't have one and he has thought often about having one in his bathroom. He takes his phone in there so he is ok without the tv there. One in the kitchen that he would have on when we ate at the table. A tv is turned on as soon as he gets up and he usually falls asleep with one on. Sometimes he has two on if he is going between the two rooms so he doesn't miss anything. He thinks it is weird when he walks in the living room and I don't have the tv on. I am enjoying the quiet. He doesn't like quiet. Seems to irritate him. It was never quiet in his house growing up so isn't comfortable with it now. Loud tv and yelling in his place.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Debbie, We didn't have a tv until I was 10 years old and even then it did not get turned on until after dinner. My mom is "tone deaf" so we rarely had music, so I grew up used to the quiet, and continue that in my own home.... Although I would have a bit more music during the work day if the sound of the embroidery machines wasn't so loud I spend my days with ear plugs in.

Just curious if the fridge is full and the freezer is full, why go shopping? I don't go until I have eaten my way through the fridge, unless it is to pop in for a bit of milk, I ran out of bread this week so just made some instead of going to the store.

smiles kim in N. california with no rain today.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    Gratitude list
    Word of the year: APPRECIATE—- Today I appreciate access to a washer and dryer in a house, not laundromat!
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think—DONE
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses——DONE
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house—tossed Christmas card I had collected
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)—This year was jewelry from my ‘adopted’ granddaughter.
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today—-Done plus #1 again!
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year—-Bringing my car to the car wash one or more times a month!
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today—-Breakfast-savored the texture of my OUI yogurt versus the granola I added.
    8 Who was your favorite teacher—My French teacher in High School. Sister Jeannette
    9 Create something today—-I will work on my crochet - making a granny square afghan out of left over yarn.
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song—Against the wind, We were running against the wind. We were young and strong, we were running against the wind.
    11 Send a card/note to someone today—Done! Note to DH and card for Uncle’s birthday.
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023? Losing weight and better financial status.
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

RVRita in sunny but cooler (low 60’s) NM
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/ yogi n Chispas- *pushed lucy* 1hr 44min 58sec, 89elev, 103ahr, 123mhr, 3.39ap, 6mi= 587c
    Strava app = 736c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 20.14min, 118elev, 95aw, 17.9amph, 113ahr, 151mhr, 6.03mi= 171c
    Strava app = 109c
    Zwift stats- 20.26min, 121elev, 94aw, 57arpm, 17.74amph, 6.04mi= 110c

Total cal 758
  • kevrit
    edited January 2023
    Options
    ‘Sensory Processing Disorder is possibly part of ADHD
    https://www.healthline.com/health/childrens-health/sensory-issues-in-children#other-conditions

https://www.additudemag.com/sensory-processing-disorder-in-adults/
    SPD can complicate everything from getting dressed to eating to grooming — and that’s just the before leaving for work. The following are common triggers for discomfort:

Hair brushing ... Yes, it has to be right or I brush, comb all the time! I hate the way my hair is so avoid looking in mirrors at it! (Wavy and unruly usually)
    Tight clothes or coarse fabric ...Don’t like tight clothes or coarse fabric
    Loud noises such as fireworks or thunder ... Makes me cringe. Loud TV’s and loud noises in general stress me out.
    Bright lights like camera flashes, sunshine, or strobes ... Yes, my eyes are light sensitive
    Strong odors including perfume or scented detergent ... always!
    Swimming in lakes ... afraid I am going to drown!
    Sticky fingers ... I do not like sticky fingers!
    Tags on clothes ... sometimes
    Being touched or hugged ... sometimes
    Wearing shoes ... Often. I prefer being barefoot. Me too!
    Tart or bitter foods ... bitter for me. Hate that

I also eat based on texture ... food has to be the right texture. I've never had oysters because they are entirely the wrong texture.’ Me to!

Machka, I put in my answers in place of yours and will take the test!

Welcome to the newbies! Chime in when and where you want!

RVRita in sunny NM
  • kevrit
    Options
    I took the test and got a 35 out of 64. So not too bad. This is what the article commented at the end: ‘ high score does not necessarily mean you have SPD or another disorder. That being said, if your score is 48-64, that means you answered "Often" or "Very Often" to most of the questions and should see a trained health care professional as there is a possibility that you may be experiencing symptoms of SPD. An accurate diagnosis can only be made through clinical evaluation. “

So I guess I’m on the high end of normal! LOL

RVRita
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :) Up to P31- playing catch up again.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I can't stand huge TVs. Ours is small by comparison with most people's. I hate it if the tv dominates the room. Even when it's off.
    We have an agreement to only have a programme on if both want to watch it. Otherwise we go to another room to watch our own programme, being sure to keep the sound low. DH often watches sport on his laptop with the sound off.
    It's important to have respect for the other person. There are always headphones for those who need constant noise.
    I have a very low tolerance for other people 's noise. And I try to return the compliment.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kathy, Maria and Allie. Lots of us did WW over the years. I got to the point after I lost Lifetime status that I knew what I should do. Didn’t want to pay $$ every week because it frustrated me. Since I had Covid, my energy level is way down but I keep trying.
    We have a smart tv and I always say it is way smarter than we are.
    Spent the morning cooking for a change. Made a pumpkin spice cake and chicken and dumplings. Shared the cake with neighbors but will freeze the rest of the chicken/dumplings. Going to make two king ranch chicken casseroles in a few minutes.
    Later
    Suebdew in TX

• dlfk202000
    edited January 2023
    Options
    did our shopping and stopped for lunch at the Chinese place- One time I will try something different but, not today. I get Empress Choice. Stir fried veggies with prawns in a light garlic sauce. I ate half and brought half home.
    The guys and son's girlfriend are all going to the movies tonight(something about Ultraman) so I will have some left over potato soup I made but will add some chopped, smoked oysters to it for a little "oyster stew" and some salad. They plan on eating while they are out.

Got our ham at Lucky's- they had a manager's special at the first one. Marked down to .49 a pound for a 12.5lbs spiral ham. Will have that tomorrow. Harris Ranch hamburger for $1.99lb so meatloaf another night. Got cashews at Grocery Outlet so I can make cashew chicken another night. I am sure there will be a lot of ham left so will figure out what to do with that later in the week.

Got home and there was another package from Amazon(they are here almost daily-dh loves to shop) and, yep, it was ANOTHER vacuum. This is a Ryobi one. We haven't been home more than half hour and he is already using it in the garage.

Enjoying the chilly but sunny day.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Dh is wanting to get rid of the entertainment center in the living room so he can put a bigger tv in there. (he is rarely even in the living room- I am in here all the time, he is in his room but, maybe if there was one bigger/better than the one in his room, he would spend more time in here with me).
    There is one in almost every room. Just the bathrooms don't have one and he has thought often about having one in his bathroom. He takes his phone in there so he is ok without the tv there. One in the kitchen that he would have on when we ate at the table. A tv is turned on as soon as he gets up and he usually falls asleep with one on. Sometimes he has two on if he is going between the two rooms so he doesn't miss anything. He thinks it is weird when he walks in the living room and I don't have the tv on. I am enjoying the quiet. He doesn't like quiet. Seems to irritate him. It was never quiet in his house growing up so isn't comfortable with it now. Loud tv and yelling in his place.

Debbie! When were you at my house? This is my DH exactly!

Kylia

• dlfk202000
    Options
    Kim- we shop, even when the fridge and freezer are both full because, that is what dh likes to do/that is the only time we spend any time together(I have tried to find things other than shopping for us to do but he hasn't been interested at any of my suggestions but I keep trying)/ we need real food for the week and not just snack or condiment stuff.
    It was great when I was laid up after surgery, we didn't go shopping but no one cooked either. He did take out the whole time until I started cooking.
    We were selective in what we bought. Mostly fresh meat that was great prices and now I know what I am planning on cooking for the whole week. Now, if they actually eat it, that is up to them. They will be healthy balanced meals. The three main things I am planning they should all eat. The others to use up left overs, there is a 50/50 chance(dh really doesn't like left overs, then complains that at his mom's, she doesn't want to eat left overs and he has to through them away. I just turn away and laugh. He does so many things that he complains that she does-he doesn't even see it)
    One of my favorite dishes to make with left over ham is scalloped potatoes. Son really likes them, dh, turns his nose up at it. That is ok, he can fend for himself. Once in a while I cook what I want(but usually I end up cooking something else for them.

another thing we shop for all the time is cat food- he is always picking up canned cat food when he finds a deal- we go through SO much, it is crazy. This along with having it shipped here from Amazon, Walmart, Chewy, Tractor Supply. With 7 cats inside(plus two that belong to son's girlfriend who are all staying here until the place her brother is buying and she is moving into is finished, but she takes care of their food) plus at least 5-8 outside cats that get canned and dried a minimum of twice a day. More most days because every time they see him they act like they are starving so he feeds them more. None are starving and more of the neighborhood cats are showing up all the time.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Debbie! When were you at my house? This is my DH exactly!

Kylia

does yours fall asleep with the tv on, lights on, computer on....??
    I need it dark and quiet to get to sleep and he can sleep sitting in his chair with everything on and the tv so loud that I come from the bedroom and close his door because it is keeping me awake. I have ear plugs but they aren't good enough to block it out, plus the light from it shines in the bedroom. Can't close the bedroom door because the cats go in and out of the catio from there(and he usually has one or two extra vacuums at the door so have to move them just to close the door.