Over 50 (years) and Looking For Accountability Partners

Hi! I’m Karla and I’m new here. I’m in my 50’s and I’m looking for some accountability partners in my same age range (nothing against the older or younger generations, but I’m looking for people in my same stage of life 😉)

I’ve been on WW in the past and did very well—losing 46 pounds and keeping it off for years. But then the pandemic hit and WW shifted to mainly a virtual model and that didn’t work for me. I gained back the 46 pounds, and they brought friends 😳😳😳. I needed the community of the program and wasn’t finding it there. My trainer suggested MFP as a great alternative and speaks highly of the community here.

I’m currently treating a severe back injury with physical therapy in an attempt to avoid surgery. I’m easing into exercise and attempting to get back on track with my eating.

I’d love to connect with some people who are in a similar stage of life, no matter where they are on their health journey. 🤗

Replies

• angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    I’m in the same position as you, lost a lot and it (and more) crept back on. If you don’t mind I’ll send you a friend request.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,929 Member
    I'm over 50 for sure. I'm back in maintenance. Whew. There was a two-year struggle after I had maintained a few years. I got the COVID-15 or more. Gone again.

I have two suggestions. First, there's a group called the "Over 50 Group." It's a friendly place, but it hasn't been terribly active lately. The more folks who come and contribute, the more active we'll be. What can it hurt?

Second, there's another group I'm in that's been around since 2016 called "Lose 1 Pound a Week and Keep it Off!." It's a private group, so if you click the above link, then you can click the JOIN button and someone will approve your request. It might take a day; we're volunteers. The focus of this group is to STICK TO IT!

The group has a number of ongoing challenges, and we try to have a fun "special" challenge each week. All the challenges are voluntary. Pick one or pick none. Pick a few. Start and stop whenever you want. The only mandatory requirement is to log your year-end and three quarter-end goals (end of March, June, September and December) and to log your weekly weigh-in. If you're traveling and will miss a weigh-in or two, just let an organizer know and you'll go on "shore leave" instead of the brig. Even if you become inactive, just weigh in to become active again.

Anyway, it's fairly active, and it's friendly, welcoming, and supportive. This is your invitation. If you decide to join, read the information at the top of the page to jump start, then come say hi in the group chat.

• kensjenny
    kensjenny Posts: 1 Member
    Hello. I’m 49 & have been doing WW since 2018. I was very successful & lost 50 pounds but then the Pandemic hit & they took away in person meetings. At first I was doing well with my online coach but WW kept taking perks away & my coach has switched hours & now I can’t make it to her online meetings. Since the Pandemic I’ve gained 40 pounds back & I’ve realized being older doesn’t make it easy to lose as easily. I just cancelled my membership today. 😏. I still have it til February 18th.

I’ve found that MyFitnessPal is much cheaper than WW if you have the premium membership. Shortly after my son was born 13 yrs. ago I lost 50 pounds with MFP. I know what I need to do but am just really struggling with accountability.

I’m not sure how these groups work with Premium because I always used the free version. I’m learning more about macros also. My doctor set me to 1200-1500 calories.

I’m hoping this group will be encouraging. 😀
  • klupal
    klupal Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I just turned 60 and have struggled with my weight for a few decades. When the pandemic hit I focused on losing weight and my fitness pal helped with the weight loss (40 lbs). When we were able to see people again, socializing with friends, wine nights caused my weight to creep back up again. And gained it all back. I'm back on this app to get back on track and I'm interested in joining a group of like minded individuals who are over 50.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,733 Member
    klupal wrote: »
    Hi, I just turned 60 and have struggled with my weight for a few decades. When the pandemic hit I focused on losing weight and my fitness pal helped with the weight loss (40 lbs). When we were able to see people again, socializing with friends, wine nights caused my weight to creep back up again. And gained it all back. I'm back on this app to get back on track and I'm interested in joining a group of like minded individuals who are over 50.

For those over 60, you might like this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up#latest

Don't be concerned if you open it up and see old posts: Like any long-running thread on MFP, the new posts are at the end, on the high-numbered pages. You can jump straight there with the number/arrow keys near the bottom of the page. (That said, it's good to read the most recent couple of pages to get a feel for the group.)

It's people 60+ at all stages of weight management, beginners to long-time maintainers, very helpful and supportive. (It's OK to join in if you're just getting close to 60 - folks nearing that milestone have been welcomed.)

Another option would be to try reviving this group:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

I see that Klupal (the person I've quoted here) has visited there. If others post-post-post, you can get the group going again, I'll bet . . . easier than starting a new group from scratch.

Best wishes to all!