WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Feb 17 extend a helping hand, hold the door for someone. Done Wednesday at the post office. Didn’t leave the property yesterday, may not today ;).

Cell phone come-on rant.
    Lord help me I’m afraid to take my blood pressure. Tried to take advantage of Spectrum buy one unlimited line for $29.99 get a second for free for 12 months. Finally wrangled the robot phone answerer into giving me a live person who gently explained that promotion was only for new customers. The best existing customers could get was to up grade to $29.99 per line. I don’t need unlimited but Joe has been going over so I said yes, upgrade his. Looking at our next estimated bill it was way higher than expected, but got decent explanation from chat window agent. Then yes the Lord did help me. Joe got home from the ENT. Surgery NOT recommended at this time, scans show possible small cyst in sinus otherwise clear. Rx? Saline rinse. Thank Goodness!
    BP diastolic ok at 134 diastolic a little high at 80 but would have been way worse had it not been for the good news ;)

Tina likewise here, though it’s more of a lollipop than a bowling pin ;)
    Kylia this came in the mail and made me think of you.
    0y8yy6iq3ynj.jpeg What Okie said. Might make your DH at least appreciate a little more all that you do. Wouldn’t hold my breath for appreciation from your SIL… :devil:
    Lanette just checked out WalMart’s rain barrels and Wow$a! The upcycle ones we bought for $71 a few years ago are now up to $99. Sure do love the convenience of the hose connection with cutoff at the bottom though ;) Click the camera icon to turn video off and your name will appear with a generic silhouette. Or before joining, see if “Join with Video / camera on” is checked, and it if it, uncheck it ;) Good luck!
    Rosemarie that is a brave substitute for coca cola. As someone who had a two cokes a day habit, I salute you. Now, coke is a rare treat, perhaps once a month, and always with some “gateway” food ;}

Machka’s your “what settles your heart” meme. For me it’s catching up with you all, and Joe’s good news from the ENT today.
    Debbie you are wise to slow your pace and really be with your DH. Even if he starts out complaining, he may mellow out after walking awhile. :{ to learn he was bartering time with you for your help with his mother. ((hugs))

Reading all but too sleepy to respond to all.,
    02/16: Move: 2 sets PT, dogs to powerline, active mins:167 steps:4749
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 8+4 =almond, avocado, beets, chocolate, cucumber, lemon sauce, olive oil, pecans, pepperoncini, pomelo, romaine, wheat-sourdough/fettucini/biscotti. CI<CO=139
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, 1+ hrs grooming Tumble, 1+ hrs organizing and filing district paper. Wt: 137.6
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    February: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,610 Member
    Options
    Annie I have a freezer full of chocolate! Eventually I through a bit out here and there :# DH wouldn't be happy realizing that!

@minicooper452‐ My migraines are definitely weather related. It is COLD today and head is fine. I had 2 roger friends complaining of migraines this week.

Okie You made me smile! I like your thinking. Unfortunately you are also right about coming back to a mess. Part of me is hoping DH doesn't want to go with me in March.

Rosemarie You have to care for yourself so good job asking for more help.

Debbie Glad your DH went with you even if he had an ulterior motive.

Thank you all. More tomorrow. Has been a LONG day!

Much LOVE!
    Many HUGS!
    CONGRATULATIONS ANNIE!

😍
    Kylia in Ohio
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,218 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Macha - I heartily concur with that meme. :) So many of us have been brought up with the idea that we have to soldier on regardless. I have often been surprised by my DDIL, who is an ace quitter. She has also encouraged my son to quit jobs that weren't working for him, because he used to be a 'hang on in there' type. She has really taught me something. If something isn't working, change it. There is a whole big wide world out there with endless choices. Use some of them.
    A diet isn't just food, it's who you live with, where you live, who you work for etc. Any of those causing persistent stress severely affects the body as well as the mind. It makes us ill.
    Happiness is a skill and has to be worked at. One of those skills is knowing when to quit. We are much nicer, more compassionate and effective people when we have the spare bandwidth in our brains that peace of mind affords.
    I am getting much better at quitting. May I wish you all a Very Happy Quitfest. :p

Love Heather xxxxxxxx getting geared up for her visitors. I will enjoy it when they get here. :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,892 Member
    Options
    I've quit many times throughout my life.

Part of the reason why I've had 20-something jobs is because, if I don't like a job, I'm outta there! In fact, several times I took term positions or got work through an agency so that I could try out a job or area but would not have to deal with a permanent position.

I tend to be persistent with education, but even there, I've cut certain areas of education short. And regarding my education, it is all over the place! I have education in all sorts of areas because I'm interested in many areas and have never wanted to lock myself into one particular thing.

I've ended relationships when they were no longer working.

On my husband's and my round-the-world trip in 2012, we changed our minds several times along the route, changed our plans and went somewhere else. I like travelling wherever the wind blows us.

You're right, Heather: If something isn't working, change it. There is a whole big wide world out there with endless choices. Use some of them.

And sort of similarly, there are all sorts of exciting things to do, places to go, and so on ... try some! :):) But don't worry if you discover some things aren't for you.

Machka in Oz

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,136 Member
    Options
    I have an Gynae appointment on Monday morning. I hope they can move this on to the next stage.

I’m a great believer in changing things if they are not working. I don’t see it as quitting. Decisions are not irrevocable. You can always change your mind when circumstances demand it.

Intentions for today:
    📍local shops for fresh produce
    📍laundry
    📍gardening (weather permitting)
    📍Latin translation
    📍prep for Monday Painters
    📍solid habits

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Karen-it may be just as well you couldn't hear everything son said. But, he got to say his piece and that may be what he really needs. You couldn't hear all of it so that saved you some emotional turmoil-which you needed. Things may improve slowly.

Margaret-glad you are recovering so well from fall.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,892 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Only if you're interested in doing something like this as we go along ...

Feel Good Feb and/or Exercising the Alphabet in February
    Feel Good Feb
    zdlnh64mq3da.png
    https://www.actbelongcommit.org.au/programs-initiatives/feelgood-feb/

Exercising the Alphabet in February

In other words, on February 1, you'd walk to a street that starts with A or do an exercise video hosted by someone whose name starts with A or something ... A.

On February 2, you'd go swimming at a Beach or play a game of Baseball or something ... B.

On February 3, you'd go Cycling or Climb some stairs or something ... C.

and so on.

There are, of course, 26 letters in the alphabet and 28 days in February, so you'd have 2 free days if you didn't exercise those days or couldn't fit in the next letter of the alphabet.
    I have listed several January highlights so that meets the calendar suggestion for February 1...

And I walked to the Asian "dollar store" next to the Asian grocers and bought Art supplies at lunch today. That'll be my A. :)

Put myself in someone else's shoes --- I've been treating my difficult work colleague with kindness by talking to her about her son, complimenting her skirt, talking quietly and gently to her and so on.

And today, I walked to Bathurst Street to Buy some Books. I also climbed stairs in my Building. :)

Watch a movie that reminds me of kindness --- probably not tonight!

C is for Climbing and walking on Collins St!

Take a picture of three things that make you happy --

aocs3725u6ly.png
    42vpz698ig8s.png
    qaqbrf33a1dz.png

D is for exercising Downstairs!
    Rowing - 16 minutes
    Walking - 38 minutes
    Weights - 10 minutes

Be kind to yourself -- Sleep, gardening and cycling! :)

E is for Exercising!
    Plus we cycled on Endeavour Ave and the Esplanade. :)

Start a conversation with someone new --- I'm not the sort to strike up random conversations, or conversations at all. But I did chat with a person I met recently and one I haven't seen in a few months today.

And ... F!
    mcuvbtguykqt.png

Consider a current struggle. Write down two thoughts that bring you comfort.

Hmmm ... A current struggle, like only one? Let's go with waiting. I feel like I spend most of my life waiting.

wrt353eh66bk.png
    x3f3p2wdopwq.png
    9g49r21ubbnn.png

And a walk to the botanical Gardens through the rose Garden!
    jrhi6g59mua4.png

Consider and celebrate diversity! Does that include people who look at things completely differently than you do? If so ... woohoo! I've had that opportunity today!

H is for Hobart - walking around. And Hanging clothes outside.

Identify a role model who embodies perseverance and find 2 ways to emulate them.

Well, I don't have role models ... and I've persevered as much or possibly even more than many people I know.

However, today was brought to you by the letter I. I did walk by and around IMAS (Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies).

Check an item off your to do list this weekend!

YES! I tidied a shelf in the kitchen. I've been meaning to do that for months but finally did it today. There was a large quantity of rubbish on that shelf ... more than I thought. So, much of the cleaning process was just throwing things out.

I've also been dusting our entertainment unit and all the stuff on it.

And I went outside and tidied the area right in front of our front door which involved moving a whole bunch of pots and other garden things to a different location and then sweeping out a year's worth of leaves and stuff. I climbed up and down and up and down stairs doing that.

This evening I made an attempt at digging the area I want to plant things next to my dry stream. I got a new spade which is great, but even so, there are so many roots, I'll need to use something else to break it up.

Just getting rid of Junk and Jabbing the Soil

Make twice as much for dinner and either invite guests or deliver a meal to a friend ...

We're actually doing that sort of dinner thing on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, all my exercise was in K ... Kingborough today!

Cycling:
    bdgt6bwhubu9.png

Heaving a heavy mattock in the garden:
    x23kxu9gyuil.png

And walking our Kitty, Rhody. :)

Make a list for the week ahead so you stay focused.

I have one massive ongoing things to do list with the most urgent things at the top.

L
    Walking exercised my Legs.
    Gardening exercised all my Limbs!

Consider a recent disagreement. Did you extend forgiveness?
    Yes.
    I don't like being at odds with people.

M
    Meandering around Bunnings.
    Moving the Mattock.

Express creativity! I finished another version of my Project Plan!! That's as creative as I had a chance to be today.

N = Nowhere
    I walked the stairs to nowhere and the road to nowhere.
    67bhya0wa0yp.png

If you are in line today, let someone go ahead of you. I do every now and then. :)

O - walking Rhody near home.

The next time someone does something you appreciate, let them know. I did today! :)

P - Perusing the shops today while it rained outside and Purchasing a few things.

Offer a helping hand to someone such as holding the door for a stranger. I do this now and then ... probably about once a week. :)

Q is for Queen.

My lunch walk was around the Queen's Domain!

Share about a recent book you read and what you learned.

The recent books I have read have been fictional mystery/suspense, and I have confirmed I like this genre for relaxation and stress relief.

R is for Rocks.
    Hauling rocks. Placing rocks.

And walking Rhody.

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    The plan for tocay is to do a Crunch Live Bod Bootcamp DVD. We don’t have to leave until 11 so I can still get a workout in/ The plan for tomorrow is to do a fat Blasting Yoga DVD. The race isn’t until around 5 (not sure what time we have to leave) but I can still get a workout in.

Barbara – yea for Joe (and your bills)

There was supposed to be a launch yesterday a little before midnight but around 11 the windows rattled so it went up. Well, I don’t think we have a good view from pad 40 so it’s probably OK. There’ll be another launch, I’m sure. Especially with so many going up lately

Had the late donut Vince bought for me, but (yea!) I only had half of it. Actually, it was starting to go sour

minicooper – I don’t get migraines, but every time the weather changes my sinuses act up

Terrie – good luck Mon.

Not sure where my last post went to

Off to the gym

Michele in FL
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Gold meat-I just had to google. I guess it is a real thing. https://www.goldchef.shop/en/faq/#gref

Lanette-thanks for thinking of us. Kylia and Are both more in the southwestern quadrant of Ohio (think closer to Cincinnati corner, East Palestine is in northeastern corner-closer to Cleveland. Hopefully there are no lingering impacts but no one seems to be sure yet.

Kylia-take the time and go! I haven't been taking the time I need due to legitimate deadline driving things. I am nearly back on track and am going to try at least a half-day vacation a week (I have almost 15 weeks on the books and get almost a day per two week pay period).

Debbie-it was good your husband went on walk even if he wants your help the next day. It shows some sense of give and take.

Rosemarie-don't feel guilty about getting more assistance. If you keep your sanity and health you are able to help more.

Heather-you and Johnnie are great with your grandkids!

Long week at work-too many hours. Had some major issues that needed addressed. Not pleasant stuff. Found myself thinking "I hate being adult!" But had to be done. Need to catch up from stuff that suffered cleaning up another person's mess then things will look better. Will determine how to deal with mess maker after dust settles a bit and emotion not as high.

Going to go see one grandson wrestle tomorrow and then go see his twin brother play basketball. Don't get to see step son and family often-they are so busy between their jobs and the three boys and they live about an hour away. Should be pleasant day-those boys always make me smile.

Taking time away from work things today and getting many house items gave up-will get me in balance. Need to have things straightened around and decent for new mattress delivery next Friday.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    I lost 1.2 pounds last week Yay! I'm particularly happy because I had three neutral calorie deficit days, Sunday, Monday because I forgot my calendar, and Wednesday because of the Valentine's Day chocolate. So I wasn't expecting much.

I've been thinking about tossing the rest of the chocolates. I don't really want them. But throwing out food! Especially a delicacy! Hmm. I know I have your permission to toss them. Or maybe I
    should freeze them. Hmm.

I have taxes to do, which is the perfect reason to have a personal yoga festival. I wonder how much yoga I can do in one day. The videos are cheerful for a rainy day.

So sad about the train mess in Ohio.

Karen good luck with your son. You are doing better than I did. My daughter won't talk to me at all.

Annie in Delaware

Annie, A few years ago I had some yummy candy in my house that was undermining my food plan, and I was unable to gain control over it. I decided to put it down the garbage disposal. I made several false starts, which made me mad and brought tears of frustration to my eyes, but as I was putting the last piece in the disposal, I felt elation and pride. I knew if I put them in the trash they would still call to me.

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Karen-it may be just as well you couldn't hear everything son said. But, he got to say his piece and that may be what he really needs. You couldn't hear all of it so that saved you some emotional turmoil-which you needed. Things may improve slowly.

Margaret-glad you are recovering so well from fall.

Thanks for that, Ginny, I hadn’t thought of it that way - it may well be so.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Rosemarie Good luck with the Cleveland Diet! Checkout the DietDoctor website for ideas and videos. The recommended books on those screenshots are great too. I’ve read them all. Real eye openers!

My A1C yesterday was 5.4, my cholesterol was good except for HDL and LDL were upside down in numbers. Doc said I needed more good fats and less carbs again. I have not been as good as I should with the carbs so something to work on. More Avocados will be added to my diet to help. I have also added MCT oil which comes from coconut oil. Being good with those things should get me back to perfect bloodwork!

Word of the year: APPRECIATE; today I appreciate my health.
    #2 Practice fairness today by putting yourself in someone else’s shoes: I did this with a camper who I received complaints about. I put myself in his shoes when speaking with him. He was a very lonely man who only had his dogs (one barking, one loose) and the people he meets at campgrounds. Made me more compassionate when talking to him about the dogs.

#3 Watch a movie that reminds you of kindness. I watched the Adam Project.
    #4 Take a picture of 3 things that make you happy. Send them to a friend. Done!
    #5 Be kind to yourself. Self-compassion is equally important. Will do today.
    #6 Start a conversation with someone new. I do this every day with the campers!
    #7 Consider a current struggle. Write down 2 thoughts that give you comfort. My dog Brownie’s heart trouble. Her spells are getting worse and there is nothing the vet can do. Comforting thoughts—She lived a good life with us. She brought us many days of comfort and enjoyment with her loving attitude.
    #8. Consider and celebrate diversity today. I am a white girl living among darker Mexicans and native Americans. Campers come from around the world and love to hear the accents and learn about the different cultures i come into contact with. Do this every day!
    #9. Identify a role model who embodies perseverance. Can you find two ways to emulate them? My 30 year old autistic nephew. He never gives up no matter what health challenge he faces. I can emulate him by not complaining about every little ache and pain, and by doing what needs to be done to get through any health issues that may come up.
    #10. Check an item off your to-do list this weekend. Working on my taxes.
    #11. Make twice as much for dinner and either invite guests or deliver the meal to a friend. We give food to people all the time. My DH cooks and we give food to different campers and workers here at the park almost every day!
    #12. Make a list for the week ahead so you stay focused. Done
    #13. Consider a recent disagreement. Did you extend forgiveness? After I bough myself a Sonic blast to ‘cool down’.
    #14. Express creativity by making art or cooking a new meal. I write in a journal that has writing prompts I have to make up stories for. Yesterday I wrote a short story about a dog leash!
    #15. If you are waiting in line today, let someone get in front of you. May not be today, but i did do it on Sunday!
    #16. The next time someone does something you appreciate, be sure to let them know. Will do! Didn’t have the opportunity but will watch for a chance today!
    17. Offer a helping hand to someone, such as holding a door for a stranger. I may have a chance today.
    #18. Share about a recent book you read and what you learned. I just finished reading ‘Everything You Are’ by Kerry Anne King. It dealt with alcoholism, recovery, death, and grieving. I learned that no matter where you are in life, never give up and find a way to celebrate life.
    #19. Show sincere appreciation when someone serves you food or drink.
    #20. Complement someone today. Ideas include recognizing a great smile or earrings.
    #21. When you recognize someone is struggling, offer words of support.
    #22. Ask for help. That’s a simple way to express bravery.
    #23. Encourage your teammates to utilize their unique strengths.
    #24. Reflect on the steps you have taken to achieve your past goals.
    #25. Express gratitude today by thanking someone.
    #26. Think about the upcoming work week. How can you apply teamwork?
    #27. Send or leave a handwritten thank you note to someone.
    #28. Giving constructive feedback is one way to ignite honesty.

Rita ( It’s hard not to type RVRita! Too many years with that! I am still in an RV but just thought I would get back to my real name! LOL)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options