What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,275 Member
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    Climbing, 2.5 hours. It was an odd session. I ended up doing quite well, but everything was hard. Some climbs took me many, many goes.

The highlight was a dyno. A vast horde of youngsters tried it many times; none of them got it. I (eventually) sent it. I went a different route to them. They all did a full jump with both hand off the wall to two hand holds. I kept my right hand on a hold and just popped up with the left.

The crux was probably the penultimate move, which took me a while to work out. (You move a high right foot onto a poor volume, and do a long reach rock-over to a poor crimp. I did this dynamically, as the crimp was miles away, which seemed to work.)

That sounds like a good climbing session. The penultimate sounds pretty difficult. Was the final move much easier, or just a little easier? Sometimes it's that second to last item that's the biggest challenge; then we get a little break for the ultimate maneuver.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Hour treadmill incline walk, 15% incline by 3.0 MPH, set and cruise while distracted by Sportscenter, lol.

I'm afraid my iPod finally gave up the ghost. (For any young folks not sure what an iPod is, for a while it was the most common portable method of playing music.) Lasted about 15 years of heavy use in the gym, so reckon I got my money out of it. But now I'm faced with the problem of replacing it before April when I can leave the cardio room with plenty of headphone jacks and to the weight room.

Obvious answer is to just load my music onto my phone, but I don't want to risk carrying my phone around the weight room for fear of it slipping out of my pocket and getting crushed. Next answer then is getting bluetooth headphones to connect to my phone while it sits safe in my gym locker, but I'm not sure about the range, nor am I wanting to splurge on headphones if I can find a cheaper solution. (Yes, I'm a tightwad when it comes to spending on myself...all my money goes towards my wife/children.)

Buddy of mine thought I should look in pawn shops, figuring people may have sold one off when it no longer suited their cutting-edge needs. Or I may look on Amazon or similar, see if one's available online, or at Best Buy if push comes to shove. Fortunately I didn't lose any music, all my mp3 files are on my laptop, I just need a portable player to jack into and workout with.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Hour treadmill incline walk, 15% incline by 3.0 MPH, set and cruise while distracted by Sportscenter, lol.

I'm afraid my iPod finally gave up the ghost. (For any young folks not sure what an iPod is, for a while it was the most common portable method of playing music.) Lasted about 15 years of heavy use in the gym, so reckon I got my money out of it. But now I'm faced with the problem of replacing it before April when I can leave the cardio room with plenty of headphone jacks and to the weight room.

Obvious answer is to just load my music onto my phone, but I don't want to risk carrying my phone around the weight room for fear of it slipping out of my pocket and getting crushed. Next answer then is getting bluetooth headphones to connect to my phone while it sits safe in my gym locker, but I'm not sure about the range, nor am I wanting to splurge on headphones if I can find a cheaper solution. (Yes, I'm a tightwad when it comes to spending on myself...all my money goes towards my wife/children.)

Buddy of mine thought I should look in pawn shops, figuring people may have sold one off when it no longer suited their cutting-edge needs. Or I may look on Amazon or similar, see if one's available online, or at Best Buy if push comes to shove. Fortunately I didn't lose any music, all my mp3 files are on my laptop, I just need a portable player to jack into and workout with.

I bought a very small waist pack to use for running and for the gym. I wanted a way to carry my phone and an ID/insurance card and similar when I'd go for a run, just in case something happened. The one I bought is made by a company called "Amphipod." It has a somewhat elasticized waistband, and a tiny pocket big enough for a phone, keys, and a few very minor essentials. It even has little exterior pockets that I suppose I could put some "fuel" in for longer runs, but I don't run that far. The model I bought is called "Airflow Endurance." It works very well for running AND for the gym. Wireless earbuds in ears, and I can move the pack to my front if I'm on a bench. Light, comfortable, and convenient. It's way better than bouncing a phone around in my pocket. I tried one of those things you wear on your upper arm. I liked it not at all and returned it before I used it during a workout. Really did not like it.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sometimes it's not a great workout, but at least I did it. Busy day, PT appointment, lots of errands, didn't get on the bike until after 10PM. Thought about cutting back to 10k, but got on and committed to the usual 60'+3', at a pretty anemic 89W for the whole way, almost entirely Z2 (45 seconds Z3! :D ), pretty much a slog for a reported 23,969 completely imaginary meters, going nowhere.

Physical therapy today was weights-y, including one oddball asymmetric carry exercise that was a kettle bell in one hand (held down at side in the common way) and a dumbbell in the other (held with upper arm extended straight out to the side of the body at shoulder level, then arm bent up 90 degrees toward the ceiling). They gave me a 25lb kettlebell and a 15lb dumbbell . . . the latter was still a challenge to the problem shoulder.

@AnnPT77 WOW! I just now had to put my arms in that position to imagine it. Weird. What were they trying to emulate? Carrying a kayak, a ladder?
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Elliptical 150 minutes on HIIT setting, 10.15 miles zones 2, 3 & 4.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

@nossmf I have one better the Walkman and then the portable CD players prior to the I Pods!

For your phone, what about a arm strap that runners use.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I bought a very small waist pack to use for running and for the gym. I wanted a way to carry my phone and an ID/insurance card and similar when I'd go for a run, just in case something happened. The one I bought is made by a company called "Amphipod." It has a somewhat elasticized waistband, and a tiny pocket big enough for a phone, keys, and a few very minor essentials. It even has little exterior pockets that I suppose I could put some "fuel" in for longer runs, but I don't run that far. The model I bought is called "Airflow Endurance." It works very well for running AND for the gym. Wireless earbuds in ears, and I can move the pack to my front if I'm on a bench. Light, comfortable, and convenient. It's way better than bouncing a phone around in my pocket. I tried one of those things you wear on your upper arm. I liked it not at all and returned it before I used it during a workout. Really did not like it.

They used to be called "Fanny packs." But I'm hearing that isn't politically correct terminology anymore.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Sometimes it's not a great workout, but at least I did it. Busy day, PT appointment, lots of errands, didn't get on the bike until after 10PM. Thought about cutting back to 10k, but got on and committed to the usual 60'+3', at a pretty anemic 89W for the whole way, almost entirely Z2 (45 seconds Z3! :D ), pretty much a slog for a reported 23,969 completely imaginary meters, going nowhere.

Physical therapy today was weights-y, including one oddball asymmetric carry exercise that was a kettle bell in one hand (held down at side in the common way) and a dumbbell in the other (held with upper arm extended straight out to the side of the body at shoulder level, then arm bent up 90 degrees toward the ceiling). They gave me a 25lb kettlebell and a 15lb dumbbell . . . the latter was still a challenge to the problem shoulder.

@AnnPT77 WOW! I just now had to put my arms in that position to imagine it. Weird. What were they trying to emulate? Carrying a kayak, a ladder?

I think not so much trying to emulate a particular activity, more trying to reinforce some posture changes we've been working on, and put useful stress on some stabilizers around the shoulder/shoulder blade that I tend to under-recruit . . . but I'm guessing, probably should've asked!

It felt . . . interesting, for sure.
  • nossmf
    Options
    They used to be called "Fanny packs." But I'm hearing that isn't politically correct terminology anymore.

Glad I'm not the only person who was thinking it! lol
  • nossmf
    Options
    @nossmf I have one better the Walkman and then the portable CD players prior to the I Pods!

I still have my old Walkman from 40 years ago, lol. Somehow I have it but don't have any of the tapes, however.

I've thought about the arm strap, but wonder how much it would interfere with my muscles moving through any upper body routine, tensing/releasing bi's or tri's etc.
  • mtaratoot
    Options

Be sure to try it out before you remove the tags. I don't know how people tolerate the things. I thought they might be a little annoying. I was wrong. I really did not like the one I tried AT ALL.

I used to call them fanny packs back in the '80s. They have had many names over the years. They used to be worn on the front of the body, and I reckon that's why they got that name - it's slang in the UK for a certain part of the female anatomy that MFP's censor would not let me write here. So in a way, it's kind of funny than I can write FANNY all I want and it won't turn it into *kitten*. I had Canadian friends that called them "Bum Bags." They keep your possessions more secure if they are worn on the front where pickpockets can't slice them and take what's in 'em. I'm not so worried about that when I'm running or at the gym, although I do shift it around at the gym if it would be in the way otherwise. When I see them for sale these days, they are mostly called "waist packs." Works for me.

I also have a Lumbar Pack that I like a lot. It's too big to use at the gym. It's nice for hiking when you want to carry more stuff, like water, lunch, extra layers, camera, whatever, but don't want a backpack to hold in sweat on your upper body. I had wanted to get one for years, but the nice ones were always too expensive. I found a close-out and decided to give it a try. Too many compartments and zippers, but it has a surprising ability to move the load around to keep it comfortable to carry a fair bit. The weight is all on your hips, just like a good-fitting long-distance backpack where the shoulder straps are mostly to keep the load close to your body. I also have a couple backpacks. So makes sense - waist, lumbar, back.

Funny - no matter what system I use, I always tend to carry the full force of any load... on the bottom of my feet.

I did a nine mile hike today out in the woods and did not carry a single thing. No backpack. No lumbar pack. No waist pack. No fanny pack. No water bottle on a sling. Nothing. Just a hat that I took off when it got warm enough. Good hike. Just short of 2000 feet of elevation gain. I went back out to a land trust that I was at a few weeks ago, but I accessed it from the top instead of the bottom. I got to explore the trails and roads I hadn't set foot on yet as well as several I had. I got to see a few birds, lots of blue sky, and walk along the river plus hike up and down and soak in the peace of the forest - once I got away from the two people who arrived about the same time I did, followed me down the weird trail I started down, and would not stop talking in a LOUD voice. After ten or 15 minutes, I got to a road and turned in a direction I thought they wouldn't go. I was right. I actually didn't think they'd go down the first trail section, but I was wrong. That's the primary reason I hiked where I did. Turned out to be a good decision; it wasn't very crowded, and the creeks were flowing.

• AnnPT77
    edited March 2023
    Options
    For some reason, I'm dragging as this week goes on, maybe just poor sleep quality (a fact, but I don't know the "why" - my sleep is always bad, just a little worse than average recently). Whatever, the drag affects workouts. I'm only at 553 Garmin intensity minutes (including today), pretty normal by Thursday, but feeling more fatigued than usual. WTH? Just fed up with Winter, maybe? (ETA: HRrest is up 2-4 bpm these last couple days, for no obvious reason, suggests some kind of fatigue or overload, maybe.)

Today was machine row + stationary bike day.

I intentionally kept the row easy, the 2 x (2k + 2' row in/out and CD) that I've been doing recently, but just trying to keep a little under 2:30 pace. Got 2:28.6/23spm & 2:28.1/21spm, pretty much in line. It was mostly (78%) Z3, 132bpm average, 144bpm peak. Zero shoulder pain or discomfort: Yay!

Bike was the usual 60'+3', 90W and 81W average respectively. I try to drop sub-aerobic in the CD (under 125bpm), so needed to back off a little because of HR drift, even though I was at 121bpm average and 128bpm peak on the 60', so all of it had been mostly (97%) Z2.

Will do physical therapy exercises before bed, but thinking to do some of the less strength-y ones. (I'm prescribed to do some mobility/stretch/massage ones daily, then supposed to mix up a bunch of others so I do each 2-4x per week. Some are more strength-y or otherwise physically stressful, some more moderate.)
    Snowdrops don't care: When it's time to bloom, by their reckoning, they bloom. Be like snowdrops! (Yeah, my yard, mid-lower-Michigan, between snow/ice storms, this week.)
    t5ly9nt7lus6.jpg
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    drmwc wrote: »
    Climbing, 2.5 hours. It was an odd session. I ended up doing quite well, but everything was hard. Some climbs took me many, many goes.

The highlight was a dyno. A vast horde of youngsters tried it many times; none of them got it. I (eventually) sent it. I went a different route to them. They all did a full jump with both hand off the wall to two hand holds. I kept my right hand on a hold and just popped up with the left.

The crux was probably the penultimate move, which took me a while to work out. (You move a high right foot onto a poor volume, and do a long reach rock-over to a poor crimp. I did this dynamically, as the crimp was miles away, which seemed to work.)

That sounds like a good climbing session. The penultimate sounds pretty difficult. Was the final move much easier, or just a little easier? Sometimes it's that second to last item that's the biggest challenge; then we get a little break for the ultimate maneuver.

The last move was actually really easy - it wasn't too far, and was to a jug. This was a really short boulder - it only had about 4 moves. I found 2 of them hard, though, as they were beyond reach and needed dynamic movement.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Good workout this morning. Upper body, core and cardio.

Stretched

36 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 140/166
    26 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 137/149

46 minutes lifting weights
    - Dumbbell Incline Press: 15@35, 10@50, 8@60, Drop set: 8@60, 8@45, 8@35
    - Cable Rows: 12@120, 10@150, 7@170, Drop set: 5@190, 6@160, 10@120
    - Seated Dumbbell Overhead Press: 12@25, 10@30, 8@35, Drop set: 6@40, 6@30, 8@25
    - Cable Triceps Press-Downs: 10@50, 8@70, Drop set: 6@80, 8@50
    - Resistance Band Crunches: 3*15
    - Dumbbell Concentration Curls: 10@30, 8@40, Drop set: 6@45, 6@35, 8@25
    - Landmine Twists: 3*8@65lbs
    - Resistance Band Face Pulls: 3*8

Stretched

Felt strong this morning, was able to push hard on the cardio, and felt good lifting. First time since recovering from being sick!
  • nossmf
    Options
    Elliptical, one hour, hills.

Friday weigh-in day, dropped 0.1#, following my standard progression of 1-2# one week, fractions (if any) the next. Maybe next week's weigh-in will break that 180 barrier.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Sorry that I haven't been posting as much. Really have a lot at work going on!

I took yesterday off, felt kind of sluggish and it was supposed to be my hard cardio day. I go by feel now at my age (58). I realize I push it hard for my age group and typically look forward to my workouts. When I don't and I'm dreading it, usually a good sign to take a day off and not be so anal about keeping my schedule.

Anyway, it seemed to have worked. Today, I lifted in the AM (full body, 150 reps of shoulders, legs, chest) and then did a 2K X 3/1:30 rest at lunch, unstrapped. Averaged around 2:09 (pace) for the 3 2Ks, so I improved a full second from the same workout on Monday. And it didn't feel too dreadful. Burned around 500 calories in a half hour for the row portion. HR stayed pretty much at mid 170s for the 3 intervals. These types of workouts are mental and about staying in pain for prolonged periods as much as they are physical conditioning. HR hit 93% max on the last one.
  • swimmom_1
    edited March 2023
    Options
    For some reason, I'm dragging as this week goes on, maybe just poor sleep quality (a fact, but I don't know the "why" - my sleep is always bad, just a little worse than average recently). Whatever, the drag affects workouts. I'm only at 553 Garmin intensity minutes (including today), pretty normal by Thursday, but feeling more fatigued than usual. WTH? Just fed up with Winter, maybe? (ETA: HRrest is up 2-4 bpm these last couple days, for no obvious reason, suggests some kind of fatigue or overload, maybe.)

Sorry to hear? Maybe the time change? I don't have trouble with them but some people it can take quite awhile to adjust.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Elliptical 150 minutes on HIIT setting, 10.14 miles zones 2, 3 & 4.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Sorry to hear? Maybe the time change? I don't have trouble with them but some people it can take quite awhile to adjust.

I think not the time change: I'm retired, so I pretty much kept the same schedule, there was just a different number on the clock when I went to bed and got up. Thanks for the empathy! I suspect this will pass as long as I don't do anything really dumb. I've had sleep interruption insomnia for over 20 years now, and sleep quality has its ups and downs. (Yes, I've had sleep studies and tried all the home remedies, and most of the medical ones.)

So, I assume it's probably something about sleep, but it's hard to tell. My fitness tracker reports my sleep laughably incorrectly, and I know it, so it's not giving me any trustworthy insight here.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Back to usual stationary bike: 60' (100W) +3' (85W). Physical therapy exercises later.
    (snip)
    I took yesterday off, felt kind of sluggish and it was supposed to be my hard cardio day. I go by feel now at my age (58). I realize I push it hard for my age group and typically look forward to my workouts. When I don't and I'm dreading it, usually a good sign to take a day off and not be so anal about keeping my schedule.
    (snip)

I think there's a certain amount of individualized "know yourself" in the mix, too. I don't push myself particularly hard (in intensity terms), especially in Winter, admittedly.

I do try to stick with a moderately rigid schedule, most of the time, especially in Winter. I need to treat workouts as something I "just do", not something I decide whether to do, or not do.

I let the intensity level drift with how I feel or what happens naturally out of my energy level, but once I've planned a workout, I tend to do it unless there's a major reason not to (like being ill or injured, occasionally a schedule issue). If I don't, I can easily work my way into a pattern of procrastinating or skipping workouts, getting into doldrums, cranky mood, and other bad things. There are times that my plans take fatigue into account, but mostly I try to stick with a pattern . . . for my own overall good.