What size is too big for a bikini?

Options

Replies

• sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot. I am a 10 right now and tried a bikini on. I think it looked ok but not enough to go in public. Even when I get to goal I am not sure I would feel comfortable due to my stretch marks.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    lol thats a very tough one. i have never wore one in my life... i have seen women wear bikinis and have a 40 inch waist or larger!!!.... wear a swimsuit let alone a bikini and have big thunder celluite thighs... i personally wouldnt wear one unless i had decent porportions whatever size that is....

I also think it has a lot to do with waist size. Currently mine is a 35.5 and I would never wear a bikini unless I got below a 30.

i feel like if your waist is under 35 inches, you are good to go!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    People can wear whatever they want. I seriously don't care.

I am changing my name to Koos the Impaler, then I will wear you. So shall it be.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    lol thats a very tough one. i have never wore one in my life... i have seen women wear bikinis and have a 40 inch waist or larger!!!.... wear a swimsuit let alone a bikini and have big thunder celluite thighs... i personally wouldnt wear one unless i had decent porportions whatever size that is....

I also think it has a lot to do with waist size. Currently mine is a 35.5 and I would never wear a bikini unless I got below a 30.

I don't know, my waist is 27 and I still do not feel comfortable to wear a bikini
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    First off, there is no "age" that someone should stop wearing a bikini. That is one of the silliest notions I have read. Just because you get older does not mean you can't rock a bikini. I have seen 60 year olds wearing a bikini, and they looked awesome in it-toned, taunt, and the bikini was very flattering to the shape.

I don't think there is a set weight or size. If you have a bikini that leaves something to the imagination, I think you can pull it off and be bigger. For a string bikini or very skimpy bikini, I would say you need to be a normal weight for your height/frame. The biggest things I see is size 16 gals trying to squeeze into a skimpy string bikini that looks like it is 2 sizes too small. Bikinis should flatter and be the appropriate size.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I am changing my name to Koos the Impaler, then I will wear you. So shall it be.

Thank you for finding an exception. That will teach me about making blanket statements.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think if you can't tell the person is wearing a bottom or not.. is too big for a bikini.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it depends on ones fitness level and body composition as well as the cut of the suit. . . tankinis for example cover a lot more and you can get skirts and things as part of the suit or accessories. ..
  • redhead91
    Options

You are officially my favorite commenter so far!
  • redhead91
    Options

I have hips almost exactly like yours except I think my torso is a bit shorter! I hope I look as good as you some day!
  • MarisaJean82
    Options
    I don't think that string bikini's look particularly flattering on anyone, some things should be left to the imagination. However, a cute sporty two piece, or tankini, or boyshorts looks good. I just hate going to the beach and seeing people wearing what looks like a skimpy bra and underwear! Just my personal opinion though!! :-)
  • Debi_Dreamer
    Options
    It depends on tummy bulge. My mom was 200lbs when she was younger but has no belly at all...she was flat even though she was heavy. She has a picture in a bikini somewhere and she looked AMAZING!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    No size or age limit in my opinion - Just make sure you find one that fits well and supports you up top if you have big boobs.
    I've had size 16/18 bikinis (Aussie sizes, different to US) - they're just harder to find and not so many options.
    I've decided that if I'm fat, I'm fat - a tankini isn't going to magically make me thin!
    And I've been inspired by European women - I've met women from Europe of all sizes and ages who unselfconciously wear a bikini - hurrah!
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    Australian size 14...which is US size 10, UK size 12.
    not in all circumstances but as a general rule imo
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i haven't read all of the replies, so forgive me if this is repeated.

watch Norbit. that (IMO) is too big for a bikini. when someone has to ask you if you're wearing bottoms because your back fat and *kitten* apron cover your pants, that is too large for a bikini.
    anything smaller than that i reckon is a goer!

i'd wear a bikini or a tankini- but i wear shorts too because i'm more self conscious of my thighs. even when i was a UK 22, i'd wear that no worries. as long as you're comfy and not spending all of your time trying to breathe in, then you're good to rock it!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I sure am hoping I'll be wearing one next summer...it will be our first family vacation to the beach and I'd love to get some sun on my belly!
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For me? I packed a UK size 18 on holiday and was not going to wear it. However, on holiday in Corfu, I saw a lady strip off to bra and pants (not matching and very grey) she wasn't bothered so why should I??? I wore my bikini after that day and enjoyed myself. Have confidence and breathe in!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I believe it totally depends on your body shape, and where you carry your weight. It also has to do with self confidence:)
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    See this person in my picture - she is WAY too fat to be wearing one but she took her kids to the beach and didn't have extra money for a one-piece so she wore what she had already..........those pictures were my motivation.
  • gisele246
    gisele246 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I had my baby, I was 195. I was in a 36J and XL bottom. My husband said I still looked better in the bikini than my one piece. I did too.