April 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options

@Teresa502 So glad that your friend is doing great and healed well. You both looked great in the pictures.

The internet was out yesterday until it was time for me to be off of the computer, so I just didn't log on. I did get a 2 mile treadmill walk in after church and before lunch with mom.

Today I was scheduled to work 12-3, so I got up early enough to get in a short, faster, run before making a couple of phone calls and getting ready to leave. I walked a total of 1.0 mile for warm up and cool down and then did a run/walk of 3 x (3/1 min at 6.0/3.8 mph), 1/3/1 min at 3.8/5.5/3.8 mph, then 6:09 min at 5.0 mph. That made 2.00 miles in 23:09 min for an average pace of 11:35 min/mile. Avg HR was 139, with a max of 153 bpm.

I'm thinking about signing up for a 5K and seeing if I can PR in a couple of months. There is one here on 29 April, but I'm scheduled to play league tennis that day. I can't do both. Plus, I think I'll need a bit longer than 4 weeks. My current PR is 33:42 a 10:52 min/mile avg pace. Any advice as to how to get faster would be appreciated.

exercise.png

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 hahaha
    Top 2 desserts so far have been the Cheesecake factory trip, and then this individual portion 'Tres Leches' cake from Whole foods

Been absolutely calorie carnage here. Badly need to reset next week

Vacation this week - back on track next! It’s called balance! :-)
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your friend's race report @katharmonic. It was a good read.

But snakes everywhere on your walk? That sounds nightmarish!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    Any advice as to how to get faster would be appreciated.

Coaching coaching coaching.

In person, a book, Garmin Connect, etc.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    April Goal: 110 Miles

4/2: 11.03 miles
    4/4: 6.02 miles
    4/5: 5.25 miles
    4/6: 5.51 miles
    4/9: 11.02 miles
    4/12: 5.25 miles

44.08/110 miles completed for April

I ran 5.5 miles today. It was a nice morning. The weather was nice, 55°F and not windy. I did see a possum, but it was mostly an uneventful run.

exercise.png
  • Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I was able to run 11km yesterday while my oldest was at soccer practice. It was a really windy run in parts. I was happy to be able to squeeze a run in.

@katharmonic I also enjoyed reading the race report of your friend.

@quilteryoyo The main things I’ve found that helps increase overall speed is doing speed work (which it sounds like you do quite often), getting enough rest between speed work workouts to avoid overuse injuries, plenty of sleep, strength training, and trying making sure that your form is as efficient as possible (with the last point I have the most problems myself, because without a coach or actually filming myself, it is kind of hard to tell where I could improve my running form).

April kms so far 65.1/175km.