How do i setup my diet as a person that is new to body recomposition?

Options
Ive been lifting for 3 months now and im extremely interested by this body recomposition concept and extremely motivated to try it , but i dont know how to setup my diet , should i follow a meal plan ? and calculate the calories and macros before hand , or should i eat what ever i got and calculate the calories/macros right there and then , im thinking of creating a meal plan consisting of 3 different meals for each part of the day (breakfast , lunch and dinner only since i dont really like snack ) so for instance i create 3 meals and calculate the macros and calories of each one , and eat meal 1 on monday , meal 2 on tuesday , meal 3 on wednesday , meal 1 on thursday...... , what do you guys think ?

Replies

• Khladnokrovnyy
    Khladnokrovnyy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Body Recomp dosent work as well as people say it does. 1st find maitanence. Use a calculator. Next subtract(for cutting) or add (for bulking) 300-500 calories. Eat a split that is high in protein, (Ideally 35-45% carbs, 35-40% protein, 20-30% fat) Eat unprocessed, whole foods like potatoes, rice, vegetables, Chicken, Beef, etc. Train hard, very hard. Make sure to get enough rest aswell. Train each muscle group to failure. Sleep 8-10 hours (Most people have 80% sleep efficiency, you need 10-12 hours IN BED to get 8-10 hours of SLEEP. For example, Going to sleep at 9 and waking up at 7 gives you 8 hours of sleep.) Stay very hydrated. Use this information to your advantage, ask any other questions you may have.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Can you cite the evidence for those statements please? i.e. explain your evidence for recomp not working as well as people think (I did recomp - my personal take is that it worked for me), and the sleep deficit statement (I have never seen any sleep or medical studies stating most people only have 80% efficiency).

I would also add that bulking on 500 cals extra each day is going to add one heck of a lot of body fat - regardless of the training regime. Not everyone will want that.
    I'm not that poster.

The consensus I've seen from the likes of Jeff Nippard, Dr. Mike at Renaissance and other sources is that recomp works best when you are a beginner lifter and with high body fat. For other people, yes recomp will get you from A to B, but it's not as time efficient as a dedicated fat loss and muscle gain cycles. As Dr, Mike said, "You want to travel 50 miles. You can cycle there. That will work. It will take a lot of time and energy but you'll get there. Or you can take the car."

I agree 300-500 surplus sounds very high, and will add a lot of fat.

I can speak anecdotally about the sleep thing. In my experience 30+ minutes of being in bed before sleeping is normal, so if I'm going to bed 8 hours before my alarm, it's really a best case 7.5 hours sleep.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,609 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Body recomp isn’t just something that works for everyone. It’s generally better to chase either fat loss or muscle gain one at a time.
    It tends to work for slightly overweight new lifters that actually lift correctly. Your calories must be dialed in to a slight deficit and finding that in itself takes time to figure out and no, you can’t just use a calorie calculator. If you actually ARE successful it’s a very slow process and progress in both directions is usually so slow that people lose interest.

The ones that are actually the MOST successful have diet and training experience and had good muscle previously.

• reesevandevyvere1
    reesevandevyvere1 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Body recomp isn’t just something that works for everyone. It’s generally better to chase either fat loss or muscle gain one at a time.
    It tends to work for slightly overweight new lifters that actually lift correctly. Your calories must be dialed in to a slight deficit and finding that in itself takes time to figure out and no, you can’t just use a calorie calculator. If you actually ARE successful it’s a very slow process and progress in both directions is usually so slow that people lose interest.

The ones that are actually the MOST successful have diet and training experience and had good muscle previously.

I dont know how else to reply, but im currently in a calorie deficit and I notice my weight in the gym going up im also on a 30/30/40 protein i believe, i cant double check right now but you said either chose fat loss or muscle gain? can you help explain as i feel like i am experiencing both, im also 18

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

I rarely disagree but - no!

This is your option and totally valid, but it’s as valid as mine and therefore no it’s not fact.

You believe most people give up on body recomp, my experience shows it’s more successful than bulk and cut for a number of people. There are lots of ways to slice a cake and my way is no better than anyone else’s, but the same is true for all of us. (For reference - yes it’s taken me a long time to get in reasonable muscular shape, but no I had no precious experience of dieting or weights).

OP, you’re 18, so firstly your body is still going to change in the next few years. How much deficit are you in? Do you use a food scale? You are new to lifting so it’s likely your weight will increase for a bit (Muscles hold water and your water weight will often increase with either new or harder exercise). Give us your weight, height, and cal intake and some of the really experienced people with years of success will come along and tell you what worked for them. Ultimately we are all different and you’ll have to figure out what works for you, but hearing from a range of people will give you good info.

• tomcustombuilder
    edited January 2023
    Options

I dont know how else to reply, but im currently in a calorie deficit and I notice my weight in the gym going up im also on a 30/30/40 protein i believe, i cant double check right now but you said either chose fat loss or muscle gain? can you help explain as i feel like i am experiencing both, im also 18
    weight in the gym, as in lifts going up? If so that will be mostly CNS adaption for the first few months. At 18, with raging hormones and being new, you’re in a decent position for a recomp. Keep waist measurements at the navel. If this number is going down you’re losing fat.

Also, think of macros in grams rather than ratios.

• reesevandevyvere1
    Options

weight in the gym, as in lifts going up? If so that will be mostly CNS adaption for the first few months. At 18, with raging hormones and being new, you’re in a decent position for a recomp. Keep waist measurements at the navel. If this number is going down you’re losing fat.

I have been in the gym for a while now in grade 9 i was able to bench 225, didnt really watch how i ate, now i just got out of highschool and now im really wtahcing my eating making sure i eat properly but i would say im around 18-20% bodyfat so i know i need to lose alot. and yes my lifts are going up in the gym slowly but steady i find. but im also getting in alot of protein right now i weigh about 200 and im eating around 2,200 calories a day with about 170-200g of protein a day, i just want to lose alot of body fat but at the same time build some muscle and I know its going to take a while, I just want to make sure im doing it right
  • tomcustombuilder
    edited January 2023
    Options

I have been in the gym for a while now in grade 9 i was able to bench 225, didnt really watch how i ate, now i just got out of highschool and now im really wtahcing my eating making sure i eat properly but i would say im around 18-20% bodyfat so i know i need to lose alot. and yes my lifts are going up in the gym slowly but steady i find. but im also getting in alot of protein right now i weigh about 200 and im eating around 2,200 calories a day with about 170-200g of protein a day, i just want to lose alot of body fat but at the same time build some muscle and I know its going to take a while, I just want to make sure im doing it right
    At 200 what is your height?

To reiterate, keep an eye on your waist measurement at the navel. If this isn't going down after a month you aren't losing fat so you need to lower your calories. Unfortunately when you lower cals there's a potential that your lifts suffer, compromising muscle gain. Try the recomp approach for a few months then if it isn't being successful then move to a program that targets fatloss then when you're leaner add calories back in and that will give you a better chance of progressing in the gym and adding muscle.

If you have decent muscle under the fat then continued training and maintaining the muscle and losing 10 or more lbs of fat a bit quicker with a bit bigger calorie deficit and you'll look more muscular even though your muscle amount is the same. Like the saying goes, The quickest way to look 10 lbs more muscular is to lose 10 lbs of fat (provided there is muscle underneath)

• reesevandevyvere1
    Options

To reiterate, keep an eye on your waist measurement at the navel. If this isn't going down after a month you aren't losing fat so you need to lower your calories. Unfortunately when you lower cals there's a potential that your lifts suffer, compromising muscle gain. Try the recomp approach for a few months then if it isn't being successful then move to a program that targets fatloss then when you're leaner add calories back in and that will give you a better chance of progressing in the gym and adding muscle.

If you have decent muscle under the fat then continued training and maintaining the muscle and losing 10 or more lbs of fat a bit quicker with a bit bigger calorie deficit and you'll look more muscular even though your muscle amount is the same. Like the saying goes, The quickest way to look 10 lbs more muscular is to lose 10 lbs of fat (provided there is muscle underneath)

Okay, i’m about 5,10/5,11 and I would say i have a quite a bit muscle im lifting pretty decent weight in the gym, right now, its just im trying to shred body fat, i am going to try and keep a eye on my waist cause that is the spot i think i need to lose weight the most, i am seeing a few new viewns come i. acorss my pectoral towards my shoulder, is that another sign of weight loss and muscle gain?
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

Okay, i’m about 5,10/5,11 and I would say i have a quite a bit muscle im lifting pretty decent weight in the gym, right now, its just im trying to shred body fat, i am going to try and keep a eye on my waist cause that is the spot i think i need to lose weight the most, i am seeing a few new viewns come i. acorss my pectoral towards my shoulder, is that another sign of weight loss and muscle gain?

that is most likely from fat loss. Shoulders don’t have a very big fat layer so that is one area that starts showing an improvement in leanness first. Again, your waist will be the gauge.

I really think you should concentrate on muscle retention and Fatloss as that seems to be where you’ll have the most success right now. If you’re sedentary or not super active outside the gym throw some cardio in there too.

18 is prime time for muscle gain so get some fat off fairly quickly then go into animal mode in the gym

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    i would say im around 18-20% bodyfat so i know i need to lose alot.
    Most people tend to under-estimate their body fat %. Measure it using the Navy method. Check an online calc. Tape measure around the navel while relaxed, not pushing out or sucking in, just relaxed, and around the neck below the Adam's apple.

If your bf is around 18% then I think recomp is going to be slow going for you. Better to cut to lose weight then go in a surplus to build. If your bf is low or mid 20's, sure recomp can work for you, but it would still be faster to cut then gain.
  • Khladnokrovnyy
    Khladnokrovnyy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Body Recomp dosent work as well as people say it does. 1st find maitanence. Use a calculator. Next subtract(for cutting) or add (for bulking) 300-500 calories. Eat a split that is high in protein, (Ideally 35-45% carbs, 35-40% protein, 20-30% fat) Eat unprocessed, whole foods like potatoes, rice, vegetables, Chicken, Beef, etc. Train hard, very hard. Make sure to get enough rest aswell. Train each muscle group to failure. Sleep 8-10 hours (Most people have 80% sleep efficiency, you need 10-12 hours IN BED to get 8-10 hours of SLEEP. For example, Going to sleep at 9 and waking up at 7 gives you 8 hours of sleep.) Stay very hydrated. Use this information to your advantage, ask any other questions you may have.
    Yeah, I don't think you really understand the concept of recomp with the exception that it will take time to actually see results from it. You DON'T need to train to failure. You don't need to eat "clean" although it doesn't hurt. You're advice is typical broscience advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

“Oh yeah guys we need exact sciences and facts11!1”🤓
    And? Did our ancestors have exact science? And look at history, they had the qualities of beasts. Cavemen would have testosterone levels in the tens of thousands if measured.

If you arent that fat, just bulk. If you are a hippo, Cut. You are most likely skinnyfat if you just have a larger than normal stomach and small arms.

And about recomp, Jeff Nippard used the topic once, and then litteraly every other goofy fitness influencer made clickbait videos about “Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time!1!!1!1!1”
    Trust me, the reason THEY can do it, look at them, they spend thousands of dollars on roids, of course they can recomp, because they stay lean year round due to steroids.

Long ago the way of bodybuilding was, eat a little more after you get full to gain muscle, eat a little less to lose fat.
  • soulo_ridah
    soulo_ridah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think you really understand the concept of recomp with the exception that it will take time to actually see results from it. You DON'T need to train to failure. You don't need to eat "clean" although it doesn't hurt. You're advice is typical broscience advice.

IDEA Fitness member

And? Did our ancestors have exact science? And look at history, they had the qualities of beasts. Cavemen would have testosterone levels in the tens of thousands if measured.

If you arent that fat, just bulk. If you are a hippo, Cut. You are most likely skinnyfat if you just have a larger than normal stomach and small arms.

And about recomp, Jeff Nippard used the topic once, and then litteraly every other goofy fitness influencer made clickbait videos about “Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time!1!!1!1!1”
    Trust me, the reason THEY can do it, look at them, they spend thousands of dollars on roids, of course they can recomp, because they stay lean year round due to steroids.

Long ago the way of bodybuilding was, eat a little more after you get full to gain muscle, eat a little less to lose fat.

Nahhhh it still is for pretty much every single walking human being out there. You cannot cheat physics. CICO simple.
  • soulo_ridah
    soulo_ridah Posts: 50 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

100% agree.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Just don’t do it, either cut or mass
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    Many that say recomp worked for them actually lost fat and that loss was responsible for the existing muscle mass to become more visible.

The saying “ the best way to look 10 lbs more muscular is to lose 10 lbs of fat” is valid in many cases.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It still is...recomp isn't bodybuilding, it's just a new word for what we used to just call "getting in shape"...it has nothing to do with bodybuilding and putting on slabs of muscle...JFC
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Many that say recomp worked for them actually lost fat and that loss was responsible for the existing muscle mass to become more visible.

The saying “ the best way to look 10 lbs more muscular is to lose 10 lbs of fat” is valid in many cases.

In the spring of 2013 I hit my maintenance weight of 183. I continued to just go to the gym and lift and do my other fitness stuff and ate well for the sake of my overall health and well being and overall fitness. I wasn't trying to put on a bunch of mass (and I didn't) or anything like that, but in 2017, four years later I looked very aesthetically different at the same weight of 183. I was leaner and had much more definition all around and looked far more athletic than I did at 183 in 2013.

I would agree that recomp (getting in shape) isn't going to put on slabs of muscle...but that's not even the point of recomp.