What's the worst you've heard?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    My husband (of southern descent) says this when he wants me to change the channel on the TV: "turn it over"

Makes me want to turn the TV upside-down.

Are you sure he is not British only "Turn the telly over will you?" is a very common saying over here LOL
  • CindyC72
    CindyC72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    "Would of" and "could of". Seriously people!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    An applicant to a college admissions counselor, "Do you take student afuhleets"????
  • ErikEckhardt
    Options
    - "can I do X?" I'm not sure you *can*, but you certainly *may* not.

- ekcetera

- not knowing what "by fiat" means.
  • ErikEckhardt
    Options
    I'm trying to LOOSE weight.
    One of the sidebar ads right here on MFP made this mistake. I didn't click on it.
  • ErikEckhardt
    Options
    Irregardless is one of mine. Here is a short story from a friend who works in a game store. Mom and child are in game store looking at different items. Child says to mom "Mom, look at these 2 dices! They are so pretty!" Mom says to child "Honey, it's not called dices, its called a pair of dice!" Hmmmm...where I grew up it was always called a pair of die. :)
    I have to argue with you on that one.

Clearly right:
    Pair of pants
    Pair of ducks
    Pair of shoes
    Pair of dice

Clearly wrong:
    Pair of pant
    Pair of duck
    Pair of shoe
    Pair of die
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I work in a psychiatric hospital, and one of our units is called "intermediate care" (for patients who have stabilized but, for some reason or other cannot leave yet)

During interviews for new employees, one of the program director's referred to it as "immediate care". 15 interviews in 2 days last week, and he didn't get it right once.

(It probably wouldn't bug me as much, but he's made it clear on more than one occasion that he doesn't value my opinion since I don't have a college degree, and he has a master's degree. All that fancy book learnin' didn't do much good! :tongue: )
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Chi-caRgo - Chicago dose no have an "r "in it

I think this might be a local thing.... When you live in lower or eastern Canada you are not going up to the states and down to Labrador/Quebec/Ontario.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Nook-you-ler instead of nuclear... :explode:

How often in someones life could this ever come up?

I can't honestly remember if I've used that word in a conversation, ever.

YES.

My husband says this all the time and I correct him every. Single. GD. Time.

NEW

CLEE

AR.

I was told by a science professor that the scientific community accepts the mispronunciation because it make it easier to differentiate between nuclear (nook-u-lar) as in pertaining to the nucleus of a cell, and nuclear (nook-lee-ar) as in, the bombs. However the contraction nuc'lar (nuke-lar) is not.

I went to school for biology and every single professor I ever had hated that. We differentiated the cellular vs "bombs" by understanding the context of the word. But that's just me and my degree. I'm not one for lazy English.
  • getxsleazyy
    Options
    "supposibly"
    "irregardless"
    oh and it seems that everyone these days says 'unorganized', i know it's generally accepted now but not to me. it's DISorganized.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    "sangwich" arrrrrgh
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My husband (of southern descent) says this when he wants me to change the channel on the TV: "turn it over"

Makes me want to turn the TV upside-down.

Are you sure he is not British only "Turn the telly over will you?" is a very common saying over here LOL

yup I say this all the time! :)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I dated this girl (a NURSE) who, if I didn't hear her say something or needed clarification, would say "Jeez, what are you? Death?"

That's when I knew we were not meant to be :P
  • saraann752003
    Options
    dollop... for some reason the hubby says dollar... I want to throw the sour cream at him across the dinner table when he says "can you put a dollar of sour cream on my plate?" the whole thing cost a dollar... here ya go!!!!
  • mmelledge
    Options
    A friend of mine says "keller" for color. He blames it on being in Western PA when he was a kid.

Also of the WPA variety is "y'uns" which is apparently their version of "y'all,"

My husband calls the center compartment in the car a "counsel" instead of a "console."
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    The Ar-Kansas river...It's pronounced Are-kan-saw...not are-kan-zis...
    I have to defend that, its a regional difference. The people in Colorado and Kansas where the Arkansas river is, named it Ar-Kansas, so that's what is it. The state is Arkansaw, The River is ArKansaS.

Same thing with towns in Kansas:

El DorAYdo is in Kansas- Eldorahdo is the legenday golden city in South America. (El Dorado)
    Sal-Eye-na is in Kansas- Sal-EE-na is the late Tejano singer. (Salina)

They do that just to be difficult.
    Thank you, you saved me the trouble of responding to this. When it comes to place names / proper names, regional differences and spelling differences are perfectly acceptable. I used to live near Thoreau, NM, which was pronounced Tha-ROO, not The-ROW; and Ramah, pronounced RAY-muh.

As for the Arkansas river, it runs through three states: in Colorado and Kansas, it's pronounced ar-KAN-zus. Only people from Arkansas pronounce it ARR-kan-saw. I say, since it is called ar-KAN-zus for a lot more of its length, that should be considered the proper name.
    The 1881 law that says the word "Arkansas" should be pronounced ARR-kan-saw was actually intended to clarify the name of the state itself. The region was organized as the Territory of Arkansaw on July 4, 1819, but the territory was admitted to the Union as the State of Arkansas on June 15, 1836. And it was pronounced six different ways at various times until they passed the 1881 law. :-) Obviously, all of these places were named before they invented Hooked on Phonics...
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    For some reason "ya'll" drives me bonkers. :noway:

That's because its y'all !!
    This is the one word gripe, in this extremely long thread, with which I disagree. I really like the word y'all; I think it fills a purpose.
    Older forms of English used "thee" and "thou" when they were talking about one person, and "you" meant more than one person. But now we use "you" for both. So if you need to differentiate, and make it very clear that you are talking to everyone (not just to one specific person), you have to say "all of you," or "you all." "Y'all" just shortens it a bit. IMHO, it's not incorrect any more than saying "don't" instead of "do not" is incorrect.
    As a teacher, saying "y'all" avoids the innocent little "Oh, you meant me, too? I thought you were just talking to Bobby..." when a child has disobeyed an instruction that you gave to the entire group. :-)