NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    noodlesno wrote: »
    I mean probably the most expensive way of doing by buy/adopt a dog. I do over 16k steps a day, everyday.

I mean he cost me a fortune in food and vets so is it really worth the 300kcal burn

Far more interesting and less expensive than purchasing a Peloton I'm sure!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    noodlesno wrote: »
    I mean probably the most expensive way of doing by buy/adopt a dog. I do over 16k steps a day, everyday.

I mean he cost me a fortune in food and vets so is it really worth the 300kcal burn

Dogs are definitely great for NEAT, if a person treats their dog right.

If calorie burn is the only perceived benefit of a dog, though . . . hmm, might not be a dog person? ;)

I don't have a dog now, because good reasons. But I miss those other (non-calorie) benefits.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,548 Member
    Options
    Bump

sj2kce22wful.jpg
  • binghamdeb
    binghamdeb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I YouTube “Walk with Leslie”, or walk in place while crocheting or knitting simple projects, or do walking movements while watching TV, walk while reading or riding stationary bike, walk or play with my dog, clean up the yard, get up every hour, and obey my Fitbit prompt to move.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Thank you @MargaretYakoda for the tip - I have subscribed to their YouTube channel! Looking forward to touring both places I have visited in the past + places I have yet to see. I have a treadmill, but you could easily march in place also.
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    binghamdeb wrote: »
    I YouTube “Walk with Leslie”, or walk in place while crocheting or knitting simple projects, or do walking movements while watching TV, walk while reading or riding stationary bike, walk or play with my dog, clean up the yard, get up every hour, and obey my Fitbit prompt to move.

Another great YouTube walking channel is Prowalk Tours. It’s walking tours of a lot of different places. Rome, Pompeii, Paris, and a lot of other great places. It feels like you’re right there walking around, enjoying the sights and sounds. One of his lates ones is a beach party in Rio. Great fun.

Thanks for the tip. I got to look this up. I had Peleton CD's at a time, with forest environment, etc. but they got misplaced. Would be nice for my under desk biking.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Repeating myself from earlier: I'm not trying to get people to literally fidget more!

But I thought this study was interesting, maybe amusing:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38664878/

Quote of conclusions:
    Our study provides evidence that habitual leg shaking can boost overall energy expenditure by approximately 16.3%. This simple and feasible approach offers a convenient way to enhance physical activity levels.

Small sample size, though, maybe other issues.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 843 Member
    edited June 5
    Options
    Our study provides evidence that habitual leg shaking can boost overall energy expenditure by approximately 16.3%. This simple and feasible approach offers a convenient way to enhance physical activity levels.

Speaking of habitual leg shaking, I do this up to the point I’m falling asleep. In fact, as I lay on my side, I can’t shake my whole leg so my foot taps and twitches instead. This is the first time I feel like it’s a win for me 😆.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Repeating myself from earlier: I'm not trying to get people to literally fidget more!

But I thought this study was interesting, maybe amusing:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38664878/

Quote of conclusions:

Small sample size, though, maybe other issues.
    Part of why I'm leaner is because I can't sit still long. I bounce my leg, continually fidget and whenever music is on in the gym that I like, I'm dancing (though not all out).
    I refused to take a manager's job because it's mostly deskwork. I can't just stand to sit and just do charts and schedules all day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, I can sit so still my Fitbit might record it as sleep lol!

In my family, fidgeters and jigglers were reprimanded and told to STOP...not that this was a problem for me, but my ex-husband, whom I met as a teenager, was always dadding his leg or bouncing his foot. He had ADHD and was (and still is) quite lean 😆.

My goodness - 16% difference in metabolism is really significant!

It's hard to cultivate a fidget habit at 60+ lol, however appealing that increase may be!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    On the other hand, I can sit so still my Fitbit might record it as sleep lol!

In my family, fidgeters and jigglers were reprimanded and told to STOP...not that this was a problem for me, but my ex-husband, whom I met as a teenager, was always dadding his leg or bouncing his foot. He had ADHD and was (and still is) quite lean 😆.

My goodness - 16% difference in metabolism is really significant!

It's hard to cultivate a fidget habit at 60+ lol, however appealing that increase may be!

Admittedly, it's only 16% while jiggling, but yes: You've hit on why I bring stuff like this into this thread.

There are various "hacks" people suggest to increase calorie burn (call it metabolism or not), from things like eating hot peppers to drinking ice water. When I've looked up the details, even in cases where there's a nugget of truth in there, the calorie magnitude is truly tiny.

But many people - I think - underestimate the power of moving more in daily life. Like I said, not proposing everyone fidget. But any of us can consciously increase daily life movement, if we so choose: Stand instead of sit, walk instead of stand, move a bit extra when doing daily tasks, etc.

Those are still small contributions, but they can add up to more per day than the hot peppers, cold water kind of thing.

I'd be the last woman to tell people not to build muscle, but when people here say the reason to do that is higher calorie burn (metabolism) even at rest with more muscle . . . well, we're talking something like 6 extra calories per day per pound of new muscle, and it takes quite a few weeks (when not in a calorie deficit) and quite a bit of work to build that pound of muscle. We can burn six extra calories a day easy peasy with a little extra conscious movement.

I don't have a cite at my fingertips, but I've seen studies suggesting that on average, people with a history of overweight/obesity are more placid - for lack of a better term - in daily life movement patterns, compared with people who don't struggle so much with body weight. It's a factor, and it's a factor that we can change quickly if we want to.