NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,918 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I had a good day yesterday as far as food goes. No snacking. All healthish foods. I'm going to a retirement party today. I have no idea what the food will be like but I'll try to track it.

Water yesterday: 30 oz

My phrase for the year: "Every choice is another chance to change my health for the better."

2h99w7pc0aqz.jpg
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @cbabie Sounds like you have started a plan. So keep at it. Add and tweak it as time goes on. We got rewarded with gold stars in my day at the top of the paper. I think there have always been rewards. There are two kinds of people. Those that do things for rewards. Those that do things to escape consequences/punishment. Guess which one I think has more fun. More fun means repeated behavior.

@trooworld Yes, I'm more a do as I say kind of a person. I've helped loads lose weight. lol It goes along with physician heal thyself. Reward for tracking. A couple of authors I've read have used saying Yaaaay or I'm awesome after the habit they are trying to create. Sounds silly to do it but if it works. 2nd place is not shabby at all. So what is your plan for cutting the crap on the days you work at the library?

@1murph Welcome to the group!

My youngest son is with me now for a couple of weeks. I need to find time to exercise instead of trying to spend it all with him. We did take a 45 min walk a couple of days ago. I went to a birthday party last night and did pretty well with the food. I took extremely small portions. Took small portions of dessert and then only ate half of them. I was full and then got up and put my plate on the table. My brain wanted more than my tummy.

I'm reading a good book called Target 100. The author asks, what is standing in your way of reaching your goal? Name three things. These were the ones that first came to mind

1) I eat too much food
    2) I don't exercise enough
    3) I eat out more than I want to.

So then I translated that into

1) I often exceed my carb and sugar limits.
    2) I am not burning my 300 calories a day via intentional exercise
    3) I am not cooking healthy meals as often as I want to do.

Then pick one of these three and come up with three action items that I will work on this week.

I'm choosing #2. Burn 300 calories a day.

So I will let you know what my three action items are

https://www.amazon.com/Target-100-Simplest-Weight-Loss-Program-ebook/dp/B01MUGWNNO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2GGBOGQYYMPHX&keywords=target+100&qid=1686419002&sprefix=target+100,aps,296&sr=8-1

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    Here are my three action items

a. Choose time for exercise. 4 pm

b. Charge earphones when they get to 40%

c. Do wall pilates
  • trooworld
    edited June 2023
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever Hahahaha! Yes, you are very helpful to others. How can you help yourself? I need the reward to be something like that because I "reward" myself all the time for no reason at all with junk lol. Thanks, I was surprised I won the prize at all. Cutting the crap...my plan right now (which is just an idea) is to bring healthier snacks to work and maybe a single-size serving of chips as if I don't bring them, I am likely to go to the cafe or vending machine. For breakfast, I always struggle with breakfast. I don't like eggs, I don't like sweet stuff, I know I could take leftovers or make some soup but I eat leftovers for lunch and I can't eat the same thing more than 2 meals in a row. Plus, those meals are more "bites" than I want for breakfast. I planned these as breakfast this week: https://www.skinnytaste.com/protein-bagels/ but I have yet to make them and the weekend is almost over. My backup plan is to have what I had last week: cottage cheese with berries and a bit of granola. That's good you took a walk with your son, can you do more of that? I'm impressed with your birthday party control! That looks like an interesting book. What was the idea behind the wall pilates and what the heck are they? LOL

Hi all. Well, as you see, I did pretty badly yesterday. The retirement party itself wasn't too bad, it was a bunch of choices I made. Today, I am meeting an ex-coworker (now friend) for coffee. I'm not going to have any snacks or desserts at the coffee shop, just coffee.

Water yesterday: 30 oz

My phrase for the year: "Every choice is another chance to change my health for the better."

19rmc9inv7lh.jpg
  • theslightedgeforever
    edited June 2023
    Options
    @trooworld Wall pilates I got the idea from instagram I think it was. Here's an example from youtube. https://youtu.be/fSB-yaqNO5Y It's usually about 10-15 min I think. If I can just get the habit, I will be pleased. I'm always well controlled at parties. It's being at home that can be the problem.

This book I'm reading is really good. It kind of takes all the things I have picked up from other books and plans across the years and repackaged it. The approach she takes is focus on one thing a week and add until about week 10. I think. Instead of trying to do it all perfectly all at once which is a recipe for failure. Also the title is Target 100. Target comes from this illustration....

6bajjsm2bhso.jpeg

One quote I liked, "100 is a target, not a check box, a day that misses the mark is just a day, not a disqualification". Josefsberg, Liz. Target 100 (p. 98). BenBella Books. Kindle Edition. I also liked this thing: even though a bull’s-eye will get you the most points, you also get points when the arrow lands outside it, in one of the target’s other circles. Over the course of the afternoon I never did get a bull’s-eye, but not only did I steadily improve my aim, I racked up a pretty impressive score just by being consistently imperfect. Several not–bull’s-eyes are worth a lot more than a single bull’s-eye, and my score was certainly higher than it would have been if I had tried once, decided not hitting the center meant failure, and given up. The imagery of that archery target is what guided me as I created this program. What I see all too often in my clients (and in myself) is a self-defeating perfectionism, a belief that we must hit the bull’s-eye every time we eat a meal, go to the gym, or step on the scale. When we fall short of our punishing expectations, we often give up for the day or for good, frustrated and feeling hopeless. In weight loss, however, consistency beats perfection every time.

Josefsberg, Liz. Target 100 (p. 46). BenBella Books. Kindle Edition.

100 in the title comes from shooting for
    100 carbs a day.
    100 oz water a day
    100 minutes exercise/week
    100 minutes extra movement added/week
    100 minutes stress relief/ week
    100 minutes of extra sleep added/week

For tracking she says no need to track the meats/egg/cheeses/nuts, etc No need to track the vegetables unless they are starchy. Track the beans/legumes. Track the grains, processed food, sweets, etc. Keep the fruits to about 2-3 servings a day since they are higher in carbs. Keeping these to 100 grams of carbs will naturally make you lose weight. But still allowing you to eat what you want. Just work it all in and watch the portion sizes. It's alot like I did with my carb cycling. Although my carb numbers were higher. I had 10 days a month where I did 100 gms. My average was losing 0.8 lbs/week But hey, better than I'm currently doing.
  • Tamevv
    Tamevv Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, things have really not been good - not just food, it’s been a tough month 😔

BUT

My feet are healing such that I can use the elliptical and take short walks.

I had two days of not only tracking but also being UNDER my calorie goal.

I’m drinking water again 😊

I really want to be checking in here consistently again. It helps in so many ways. I’m looking forward to seeing how you all are doing 😊
  • trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever Oh interesting. I've never heard of that. I see. Can you pretend you are at a party while at home? LOL I put a hold on that book at the library. I like that quote, too. It takes away the black-and-white thinking. This book sounds good. Thanks for sharing.

@Tamevv I'm sorry you've had a tough time lately. It's good to hear from you. I'm glad your feet are getting better. Way to go on the tracking and being under! Thanks for checking in.

Hi all. My husband made a Croque Monsieur casserole for brunch yesterday and I ended up eating it for dinner, too, because what I made for dinner wasn't done by the time it was time to eat and we wanted to go to bed. So, I ate another serving of the casserole. But I really didn't eat much yesterday. I have a work event today and have no control over the food all day. I have no idea what kind of food they will have but I'll track it.

Water yesterday: 20 oz

agkj22igk768.jpg
  • Tamevv
    Options
    Thanks @trooworld, I’ve exercised this morning and planned meals. Hope your function was fun :)

Hi @theslightedgeforever - I agree the book sounds great. I looks it up too but our state library doesn’t have it. $20 to buy an e-version which I’m still considering.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all, I just want to jump on quick and say HI, I have to go watch the little ones before DH gets crabby. LOL. Today is probably the first day I feel normal whatever that is to me. I am actually trying to see what is giving me heartburn. Food or meds or both. I just ate some cheese on a tortilla and got heartburn...didn't when I ate shredded wheat minis and or some salty sweet nut mix. Wonder if it's the cheese or the tortilla. LOL. I will just keep watching and see if I see a pattern.

@trooworld You have a plan, maybe start with one thing on your breakfast.

@Tamevv good to see you. Yea on exercising and meal plan...I hate to meal plan . LOL

@theslightedgeforever I think when you pass I will bury you in a library. LOL. I can hear you now...you're the older sister, what makes you think.... LOL you love for books come through genetics I think. Glad you found one you really like. I loved the picture.

Cbabie
  • Tamevv
    Options
    @cbabie Hello!!!! 👋👋👋😁😁😁😁
  • trooworld
    Options
    @Tamevv That's great, woo hoo! The function was ok, it was professional development day at work.

@cbabie HI! I hope you can figure out the heartburn, that is an awful feeling. Yeah I have to do something.

Hi all. Well, they did not feed us healthily for professional development day as you will see. They did it as cheaply as possible: Costco muffins and fruit for breakfast, Costco pizza for lunch. :( Oh well. I ate a homemade meal for dinner, so there's that.

Water yesterday: 50 oz

si8aps4hgi2g.jpg
  • cbabie
    Options
    Morning all, I had heartburn most of the night..UGH. I ate sloppy joes for dinner, a BIG no no for me..I am beginning to think any tomato product has to go..or live with the results. LOL. Mopped floors was the only exercise I got yesterday.

@trooworld Well yea for you for eating a good dinner. You could have just continued the food since a lot of our mentality says...well I messed up so this won't matter. It does matter and you made a good choice.

Cbabie
  • Tamevv
    Options
    Morning all, up and exercised, ready for the day.

Today is kinda planned - I haven’t tracked it yet tho, will do now I guess. @cbabie I sometimes enjoy food planning, it gets so tedious and overwhelming though. I’m keeping it simple prep and time -wise but that makes it difficult for tracking. I’m trying to walk the line between being conscious and intentional without feeling stress and pressure. It’s very much win-some-lose-some.

• trooworld
    Options
    @cbabie Oh how terrible! Mopping floors count. :) Thank you.

@Tamevv Great start!

I'm beginning to think I should just stay home from work every day as that seems to be where most of my problems are lol. I tend to "reward" myself for showing up there and not with healthy stuff.

ob4o4plh0ijw.jpg
  • cbabie
    Options
    Morning all, Well not sure what caused the heartburn, but still had it yesterday. I went to the Dr yesterday and sat in the lobby for an hour, just to have the Dr tell me I didn't need his services. I am glad and so glad he didn't want to push pills on me, just told me if I needed him, call and make an appt.
    I walked the kids yesterday for 1/2 hour...so I did get some movement. Working on today.

@Tamevv HI, good job!

@trooworld I laughed when you said you need to stay home, work causes you to eat...staying at home in chaos causes me to eat. LOL

Cbabie
  • Tamevv
    Options
    Howdy.

@cbabie yay for walking and yay for no drugs 😊

@trooworld I chuckled at your rewarding yourself for just showing up at work - I feel like that would help my positivity a lot if there was a little treat waiting for me each morning too 😁. I’m the opposite though - I do much better when I’m out of the house - when I’m home I tend to fail for a variety of reasons.

I’m off tomorrow and don’t really have a plan so don’t have a lot of confidence on how it’ll go, but I’ve had a good week so far so maybe that will carry me through.

Im going to do my first official weigh-in tomorrow for months. Hoping it will motivate me to keep on track.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @cbabie That's too bad he couldn't help you with the heartburn. Great job getting in movement! LOL if I had chaos here, it would make me eat, too. Well, I do have chaos with the dogs, but I guess it's less stressful than working lol.

@Tamevv Hahaha yes! Good luck being off, I hope you have a good day. ((( SKINNY VIBES ))) for weigh-in!

Hello all. I didn't do so well yesterday and then I had to go to my diabetes webinar and listen to people brag about how well they are doing, how their clothes are fitting better and they have more energy etc. At one point, I just took my headphones out of my ears because I was so annoyed with the instructor (she's condescending, squeaky-voiced, and just annoying overall). I told my husband I was depressed and he helped me come up with a plan for movement. I am going to try to walk on my lunch every day.

fo3iddlr8az1.jpg
  • cbabie
    Options
    Morning all, I was exhausted yesterday, but feel much better today. I am learning some boundaries. LOL Like right now, baby boy is crying wanting held...I will finish this and then get him. LOL. I am trying to watch what I am eating and everyday make small improvement. Same with movement..at least move during the day..thats my goal. Then go from there.

@trooworld So glad you talked to DH and he helped you come up with a plan. I used to walk on my lunch hour all the time. It was a good destresser for me while at work. Well until it hit 102..LOL You can do this, we are here to support YOU!!! LOL I would have taken my headphones off too.

@Tamevv Weigh ins are good, gives us a starting point... :)

Cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @Tamevv Good to see you again. All your little changes will add up to big things. I was just looking up the exchange rate on your dollars to ours. The paperbook amount is outrageous.

@trooworld I love croque monsieur for breakfast. I've learned to eat half because I know it's so high in calories. Work events: You do have control over how much you put in your mouth. Is there a way to keep small packs of almonds or a Kind bar or other type of bar so you won't be extremely hungry when you go into the work event meal? Next time you could pair one of these with the fruit for breakfast. Bring in some sliced hard boiled eggs for some protein. Enjoy a slice of the pizza. Don't think about what others might think of you bringing in some food. If you were diabetic the muffin and fruit wouldn't be the best meal to have. No protein to help with the carbs.

@cbabie Are you tracking your symptoms somewhere other than your mind? ;) Does your Android have some sort of ios Health equivalent? I was tracking symptoms on mine. Including notes about food I'd just eaten or environment, etc.

oh have to stop here. I need to make a phone call to a friend

• trooworld
    Options
    @cbabie I think you passed your exhaustion on to me lol. I'm glad you feel better. Those are good goals. I just feel guilty for eating my lunch while not on my lunchtime. I will get over it though. Thank you for the support!

@theslightedgeforever I brought some granola bars in. I also have some "Skinny almonds"/"Skinny dipped almonds". Unfortunately, I hate eggs. That is my problem with finding a breakfast: I hate eggs and I do not like sweet breakfasts. That doesn't leave much lol. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi all. I woke up at 2:30 to find my husband sitting up watching TV in the living room and since we are celebrating his birthday today, I decided to get up, too. So here I am at 2:48 am up for the day lol. I will take a nap later. We are going to the zoo today and I don't know what else. I did much better with food yesterday. This is not surprising, most of my problems are at work.

Water yesterday: 20 oz

nyeejy8t4c9m.jpg