Low carb/keto help!

Options
Hey y'all

I'm starting low carb and would love to hear what works for you. Any supplements to add? Best foods to eat? Recipes? Weight loss? Symptoms to look out for ? If you are low carb or keto plz add me I would love to check out your meals or diary's to get ideas!!!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Probably no symptoms to look out for on low carb, unless you also cut fat, which can lead to constipation. I don't recommend keto unless you already know what "keto flu" is and how to prevent it. If you are committed to low carb or keto, there are lots of resources here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • BlueEyes2000
    BlueEyes2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't do Keto, or other specific and food group insufficient. Low carb is good as long as the carbs are complex, meaning; slow to metabolize. Basically, eating natural foods or foods with high fiber. Eating protein is good, natural sugar is good. Fat is okay as natural fat. In a day look at your food choices and change one bad one to a healthy one. It is true, eating healthy takes time vs opening a bag of chips (zero nutritional value in chips, cookies, and snack crackers), and the sodium is huge. Have you looked at canned soup? Yikes. You have to put yourself higher on the priority list, even if only 1 step higher at a time. I wish I could tell you its easy, it is not. I am a food aholic, I have to want to loose weight. I have my reasons, but as a 64 year old, I have lost the same 100 pounds twice, now I'm doing it again. It is so much easier to eat badly, fast food, and snack way to much. Guess what, I gained it back again... I choose to eat for my health.
  • hapoocrystal
    hapoocrystal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @BlueEyes2000 thank you! This is great advice! I totally agree!
  • foliographerdoha
    foliographerdoha Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Better go for low carb or carb cycling, extremely low carb on rest days, eat lot of fibers and fresh veggies. Replace simple carb with complex carbs, eat 1.4 x Body weight in Kg equivalent grams of protein. stay away from alcohol, processed foods, sugar & high sodium food.
    Good luck.
    If you want day by day meals and diet plan please dm.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Better go for low carb or carb cycling, extremely low carb on rest days, eat lot of fibers and fresh veggies. Replace simple carb with complex carbs, eat 1.4 x Body weight in Kg equivalent grams of protein. stay away from alcohol, processed foods, sugar & high sodium food.
    Good luck.
    If you want day by day meals and diet plan please dm.
    Carb cycling does nothing for Fatloss unless you’re a competitive bodybuilder unless you’re taking in carbs pre exercising for an energy bump, other than that there is no benefit
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all

I'm starting low carb and would love to hear what works for you. Any supplements to add? Best foods to eat? Recipes? Weight loss? Symptoms to look out for ? If you are low carb or keto plz add me I would love to check out your meals or diary's to get ideas!!!

One of the best sources of information on everything related to low carb can be found on Diet Doctor and I suggest you take a look and they also have over 200 video's as well and cover all your questions.

I've been low carb for over a decade and have been maintaining for most of that time. Low carb works on a spectrum (from 20g's to 150g's as an example) and generally people make that work for them depending on what is happening to them in their lives, so it's very flexible and you can count calories if that appeals to you, most don't.

Here's a link to their video library.

https://youtube.com/@dietdoctor/videos