What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Didn't have too much time today but got the gym to use some of the machines, focused on legs and some trx exercises. Am away for work tomorrow, super long day so am taking a planned rest day.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I got the usual early morning elliptical session in and followed it up with some core exercise circuits. Then this evening I swam SCM laps at a pool for about a half hour, mostly front crawl but mixed in a 100 IM, some kickboard, and a couple laps with a pull bouy. Hoping to build on this too, soon.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    Hour elliptical, interval hills. Less than 10 people in the gym, total, this morning at 5am, compared to the usual 30-odd.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Options
    Early morning elliptical today, then to the gym in the afternoon. 15 minute warm up on a stationary bike. Then 4 sets of assisted pullups pursuing a fantasy that I'll someday be able to do them again without the assist. :wink: Next, 20 minutes steady running on a treadmill followed by 4 sets of lat pulldowns. The point of the visit was the running and that was slow enough that I wasn't maxing out the HR, finally.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,846 Member
    Options
    The usual Wednesday row, back in bow of the quad, just under 7k again. Air quality's getting worse again so we stuck with moderate steady state pace, but did some pause drills and technical focus pieces along the way. Very hot and humid.

Volunteered at the rowing club's open rowing session tonight. The class is over, now we have a couple of these open rowing sessions a week where some experienced volunteers come out to help folks launch correctly, help carry boats, answer questions, etc. So that's what I did.

In between, some yard work (raking, sweeping, weeding).
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Two plus hours in the river yesterday just messing around with my kids--some light swimming, treading water, etc.

I'm taking a few weeks' hiatus from running because I started developing shin splints. I tried to up my mileage too quickly, I think. I hate enforced rest, though.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Rock the race, @Djproulx !

I remember shin splints all too well, @DiscusTank5 . All too well. Ice, stretching, walking around your house barefoot on your heels with toes lifted off the ground, increased potassium intake, slow walk backwards (landing toe first) following runs. Make sure your footwear is proper for running, try running on grass rather than concrete.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Today was upper body hypertrophy day in the weight room. A few weeks ago I swapped out my DB fly's for cable fly's, which increased tension, and today was the second time swapping the cable fly's for a new machine fly my gym just purchased. Wow, what a sensation! And the DOMS after, intense in a good way!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I took a very short hike due to the hot humid conditions this morning. Just a chance to get the legs moving without causing any fatigue. This afternoon I finished reviewing my race plan, charged the bike, and began packing my swim, bike and run stuff.

The Finger Lakes region of NY is a beautiful area and the course is very well designed.
    I will focus on staying very conservative on the swim and bike sections, knowing that I'll have to endure some suffering on the run.

TLDR VERSION OF BELOW: Triathlon race plan

@DiscusTank5 - I know you are considering longer triathlons, so this might be of some interest:

I have no delusions of setting a PR, since my conditioning is not quite where I'd like it to be. So I've set a basic goal that is simply to complete the entire race within the 08:30:00 time limit.

Swim: Focus on breath control while counting off one marker buoy at a time. Try to get in behind a swimmer whose feet I can draft behind to save energy. Goal is to come out of the water fairly fresh.
    45-46 minute swim time estimated.

T1: No rush, but no wasted movements in the transition area. Strip off wetsuit during the jog from swim exit to bike transition. PUT HELMET ON FIRST then bike shoes, grab a gel and a quick swig of fluid as I trot to the bike start line. 3-4 minutes total.

Bike: DO NOT CHASE OTHER CYCLISTS! Ride the bike split that I SHOULD RIDE, NOT the bike split that I WANT to RIDE. :) This is my favorite part of the race. The course is a big lollipop loop over rolling hills and along two lakes, with only 1656 of climbing. The long straightaways and lack of steep climbs make it very tempting to overbike. I need to keep my power from spiking by maintaining a steady cadence and trying to stay under 200W. Burning too many matches on the bike means a blowup on the run is almost guaranteed. 3:10:00-3:15:00 bike split estimated

T2: Once off the bike, grab numbered race bib and belt(required for the run) hat, shoes, and consume gel and small water bottle as I walk out of transition. Walking helps to get the glutes engaged and hip flexors back to normal after 3 hours on the bike. 2-3 minutes total.

Run: This is the unknown, but it will be slow. On my best days, I've produced runs that were just over 2 hrs after a hard bike effort. That's not realistic for this race. I think any run/walk under 3 hrs will be a win.

So, bottom line is that a 6:45:00-7:15:00 result wouldn't surprise me.
  • DiscusTank5
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

TLDR VERSION OF BELOW: Triathlon race plan

@DiscusTank5 - I know you are considering longer triathlons, so this might be of some interest:

T2: Once off the bike, grab numbered race bib and belt(required for the run) hat, shoes, and consume gel and small water bottle as I walk out of transition. Walking helps to get the glutes engaged and hip flexors back to normal after 3 hours on the bike. 2-3 minutes total.

Run: This is the unknown, but it will be slow. On my best days, I've produced runs that were just over 2 hrs after a hard bike effort. That's not realistic for this race. I think any run/walk under 3 hrs will be a win.

So, bottom line is that a 6:45:00-7:15:00 result wouldn't surprise me.

Really helpful info here, @Djproulx. I haven't tried walking out of T2 but then haven't needed to when to bike part was only an hour and the run only 2 miles.

Best of luck with your race!!

• DiscusTank5
    Options
    Two plus hours in the river yesterday just messing around with my kids--some light swimming, treading water, etc.

I'm taking a few weeks' hiatus from running because I started developing shin splints. I tried to up my mileage too quickly, I think. I hate enforced rest, though.

I took myself back to the gym today for the first time in awhile (in summer my workouts move out of doors). Got in 35 min. on the elliptical and a couple of min. on the Helix trainer to stretch my leg muscles after.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Options
    @Djproulx Good luck with your race! The plan sounds good. Steady but conservative through the swim and bike. There's always plenty of oppertunity on the run to burn off extra energy if you have the "matches" left.

I'm still getting a daily morning elliptical session and yesterday another morning core routine. I was swimming lanes yesterday afternoon for a half hour, second time this week. It's starting to come back but I'm not pushing at all yet. The plan is for another run today. Nothing fancy. I need to rebuild a running base and it will take time. Biking was always my strongest sport but I'll need to get back on that horse soon too.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower body power day in the weight room this morning, with upcoming grocery shopping this afternoon pushing a fully laden cart.
  • AnnPT77
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Coached row in bow of the double, around 9.5k, mostly pause drills and timed pieces with rating (strokes per minute) targets.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wow no exercise for the last three days for me.

Wednesday - very long day at work including 4 hours in the car leaving at 7am, just no opportunity for anything unfortunately.

Thursday and Friday - spent those days visiting my parents, the most steps I did was 3500! They used to have a dog that I'd take for a couple of gentle walks but he passed in January and now unfortunately they spend most of the time watching TV, which meant that that's what I did too! I know 2 days of rest isn't the end of the world but it just left me feeling sluggish.

Today I did boxing class plus a 45 minute walk. Definitely back on the horse and feeling much better for it!
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Options
    Other activities later today and part of tomorrow so I got 20 minutes in running on the treadmill this morning, right after 15 minutes on the elliptical trainer to warm up. Peak HR on the treadmill has been trending steadily downwards over the last several workouts so this might actually be working. :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Today was our learn to row "graduation" BBQ/potluck.

Beforehand, I rowed my usual Saturday 7k-ish in 2 seat of the quad. We practiced some rating controlled pieces - like we've been doing with the coach - because we don't have good instrumentation for knowing when we're at a specific strokes per minute rating, so we don't have much intuitive feel for what number we're at. (We used my Garmin today, which is awkward to read while rowing.)

When we landed, folks were starting to arrive for the BBQ. Two of us went back out in the quad, me in stroke seat and another experienced rower in bow, and 2 of the new folks in the "engine room" between us, which is 2 & 3 seats. I rowed 2 rounds of that (very slowly/methodically), roughly 2k each outing, then checked out to get date bars or something while someone else experienced took my place.

Newbies are doing very well. On today's row, we taught them to do "river turns", which is simultaneously rowing on one side while backing on the other. Doing that, the boat pretty much spins around on its center point. A year or two ago I hit on a method of teaching it that works really well - the way I described it here, which is how it's usually taught, is quite cognitively/physically complicated.