Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Natty or Not

Options
maizyfmf
maizyfmf Posts: 5 Member
Do you think it's important for fitness influencers to declare whether they take enhancement drugs or not?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    What does natty mean?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    What does natty mean?

= natural?
  • maizyfmf
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with the previous comments. Everyone is being mislead most of the time; in turn, leads to body disphoria, eating disorders and more!

Plus we all know age effects musle growth and retention...so it's obviously some of the 50+ year olds who have the Viens popping may be popping more than just vitamins...

Also, I'm pretty sure that Ephedra is banned where I'm from..(Canada). W.e it is people take, I say, just be honest and be careful!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I think being open is beneficial for many reasons.

Because it's so taboo, so many males assume that being on gear is all that separates them from having a contest worthy physique. And that's just not the case.

But this constant parading of physiques that are either decade(s) long transitions naturally or years on gear with elite genetics makes it so misleading what is healthy and attainable.

Also, there's a crapload that goes on with "peaking" that makes the physiques in pictures so misleading. Having muscles full of glycogen while a person virtually dehydrated is not what folks look like "just walking around".
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Lying or misrepresentation is wrong - poor character or unethical, depending on situation. Lying or misrepresentation for financial benefit is very wrong, highly unethical, in some contexts even illegal.

I don't see why lying about or misrepresenting one's fitness background is different from that basic idea, personally.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Here’s an interesting perspective on fitness influencers:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/10/well/move/fitness-influencers.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

(Sorry if someone already posted this. And yes, I think fitness influencers should be completely honest and transparent and doing their best to help people. I agree 100% with @AnnPT77 )
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Lying or misrepresentation is wrong - poor character or unethical, depending on situation. Lying or misrepresentation for financial benefit is very wrong, highly unethical, in some contexts even illegal.

I don't see why lying about or misrepresenting one's fitness background is different from that basic idea, personally.
    Ah Ann, it's because the almighty dollar reigns supreme and so many will lie, cheat, and misrepresent to attain financial gain. All you have to do is look at the supplement industry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Ah Ann, it's because the almighty dollar reigns supreme and so many will lie, cheat, and misrepresent to attain financial gain. All you have to do is look at the supplement industry.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm not naive (at age 67 FFS!), @ninerbuff.

That they think they have reasons doesn't change the ethics/morality.

I understand why they do it. I even expect it.

But it's wrong-itty wrong Wrong WRONG.
    Agree. Even the Fitness industry does a lot of over exaggeration on equipment, training programs, etc. to make an extra few bucks. My big one has always been telling women they are "toning" when doing say a "sculpt" class.
    Never heard of a "toning" curl or "toning" squat. But the word alone feminizes "weight lifting".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Professor_Armstrong
    Professor_Armstrong Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yeah, so the viewers know which physiques are achievable naturally
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,619 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    yeah, so the viewers know which physiques are achievable naturally

I would argue most people have little to no idea what is and isn't possible naturally. Have you ever looked at their followers comments? They pretty much believe whatever their chosen idol tells them. After all, Elvis never did no drugs🤣
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Another fitness influencer died at 30 who pushed his body to the extreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb4m_3Ca3BY

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I'm 56 and didn't get any critical thinking until college. It should be taught much earlier. As soon as children are allowed access to the internet and social media, they should also learn how to evaluate what they are seeing.

I used to work for the guy who used Alicia Machado, the Miss Universe who "got fat," as the spokeswoman for his diet pill, which he did not sell in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkjh5Lxkhw

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1997/05/16/miss-universe-sizing-up-her-reign/4b76f45c-aaa9-4b44-8acf-39f2d4af7598/

"I was anorexic and bulimic, but almost all of us are," Machado says without so much as a blink. "When I was preparing for Miss Universe, it was an obsession for me to not gain weight. By the time I won, I was actually recovering. But the year leading to it, I didn't eat at all. And whatever I ate, I threw up. I weighed 116 pounds when I won. I was skeletal."
  • maizyfmf
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Another fitness influencer died at 30 who pushed his body to the extreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb4m_3Ca3BY

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's sad because he had underlining health issues and also used steroids... Who knows exactly the cause of death. Over exercise, steroids, or his underlining health issues
  • maizyfmf
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm 56 and didn't get any critical thinking until college. It should be taught much earlier. As soon as children are allowed access to the internet and social media, they should also learn how to evaluate what they are seeing.

I used to work for the guy who used Alicia Machado, the Miss Universe who "got fat," as the spokeswoman for his diet pill, which he did not sell in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkjh5Lxkhw

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1997/05/16/miss-universe-sizing-up-her-reign/4b76f45c-aaa9-4b44-8acf-39f2d4af7598/

"I was anorexic and bulimic, but almost all of us are," Machado says without so much as a blink. "When I was preparing for Miss Universe, it was an obsession for me to not gain weight. By the time I won, I was actually recovering. But the year leading to it, I didn't eat at all. And whatever I ate, I threw up. I weighed 116 pounds when I won. I was skeletal."

Critical thinking is definitely necessary! Find the motive, which is usually money and you'll realize everything has a "catch". This is definitely why body disphoria is a thing ... Unreal and Unsafe.
  • jdogdiggitydo
    jdogdiggitydo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nutritional labels for fitness influencers and financial statements for all others.