Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    My "fad diet" is what I consider the pre-diabetic and diabetic meal plan. I have a "keto-ish" meal plan, but it is protein-rich and has minimal carbs.

All I had to do "keto-ish" meals, and you had so many posters telling me, "Keto is not doable in the long run!" Wrong.

You cook and prepare your own food and lifehack to your own nutrition. I keep whole milk in my diet, cheese, and avocado, but "keto chocolate" is an abomination. If you do it right, you can have half of Ghiradelli bar (72% cacao), blueberries (or raspberries), and whipped cream. I do prefer the milk-chocolate, Cadbury Daily Milk. That's MY burden.

What about minerals and other vitamins that aren't provided if you're only doing keto?

vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B7, vitamin B12, calcium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus to name a few.

Also, are you saying that you'll never have over 25 grams of carbs in your diet daily with the exception of an indulge here and there. And how long have you been doing this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Maybe check before making such broad statements. Your about as far a way from being correct as anyone can be.
    https://paleofoundation.com/micronutrient-deficiency-ketogenic-diet/

Important Micronutrient Targets for a Ketogenic Diet
    Vitamins

• Vitamin B1
    • Vitamin B5
    • Vitamin B7
    • Vitamin D
    • Vitamin E

Major Minerals

• Calcium
    • Magnesium
    • Manganese
    • Potassium
    • Sodium

Trace Minerals

• Selenium
    • Zinc
    • Chromium
    • Copper
    • Iodine
    • Molybdenum
    • Iron

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Niner, you don't get off that easy. All of these are easily available in good quantities in a ketogenic diet. Be more specific.

For example eating salmon and leafy greens covers most B vitamins and 100g's liver exceeds all DV for all B vitamins and a few not mentioned for example. Both major minerals and trace minerals are covered as well.

Every diet regardless of how it's designed people will need to be mindful, and this is exactly what this site is referencing.

Are you actually familiar with vitamins, minerals? I'm not sure why you would post something so easily disputed. B12 is prominent in animal products, calcium is in dairy, sardines and cheese and iron is easy available in seafood, greens and liver so it's hard to tell what your motives are. I know the ketogenic diet freaks out most people here, so not sure of your reasoning.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    My "fad diet" is what I consider the pre-diabetic and diabetic meal plan. I have a "keto-ish" meal plan, but it is protein-rich and has minimal carbs.

All I had to do "keto-ish" meals, and you had so many posters telling me, "Keto is not doable in the long run!" Wrong.

You cook and prepare your own food and lifehack to your own nutrition. I keep whole milk in my diet, cheese, and avocado, but "keto chocolate" is an abomination. If you do it right, you can have half of Ghiradelli bar (72% cacao), blueberries (or raspberries), and whipped cream. I do prefer the milk-chocolate, Cadbury Daily Milk. That's MY burden.

What about minerals and other vitamins that aren't provided if you're only doing keto?

vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B7, vitamin B12, calcium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus to name a few.

Also, are you saying that you'll never have over 25 grams of carbs in your diet daily with the exception of an indulge here and there. And how long have you been doing this?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Maybe check before making such broad statements. Your about as far a way from being correct as anyone can be.

Vitamins

• Vitamin B1
    • Vitamin B5
    • Vitamin B7
    • Vitamin D
    • Vitamin E

Major Minerals

• Calcium
    • Magnesium
    • Manganese
    • Potassium
    • Sodium

Trace Minerals

• Selenium
    • Zinc
    • Chromium
    • Copper
    • Iodine
    • Molybdenum
    • Iron

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Niner, you don't get off that easy. All of these are easily available in good quantities in a ketogenic diet. Be more specific.

For example eating salmon and leafy greens covers most B vitamins and 100g's liver exceeds all DV for all B vitamins and a few not mentioned for example. Both major minerals and trace minerals are covered as well.

Every diet regardless of how it's designed people will need to be mindful, and this is exactly what this site is referencing.

Are you actually familiar with vitamins, minerals? I'm not sure why you would post something so easily disputed. B12 is prominent in animal products, calcium is in dairy, sardines and cheese and iron is easy available in seafood, greens and liver so it's hard to tell what your motives are. I know the ketogenic diet freaks out most people here, so not sure of your reasoning.
    The person I responded to wrote what she ate. I responded because what you mentioned above WASN'T in her diet.

My bad on listing iron since I do know that one of the only ways to obtain iron is through animal products. But what I listed ISN'T unreasonable to believe that some doing keto may NOT be getting in vitamins and minerals that are essential for optimal and good health. I've done keto many times on contest prep.
    And yes, every diet you have to be mindful on. I ask vegans all the time about vitamins and iron that may be lacking in RDA amounts for them.
    Anyway, I think you're just responding to just what I write and not really seeing why I'm responding.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've been in Maintenance since February after losing 172 and it's been more difficult mentally than it was during my losing journey. Hands down.
  • neanderthin
    edited July 2023
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Vitamins

• Vitamin B1
    • Vitamin B5
    • Vitamin B7
    • Vitamin D
    • Vitamin E

Major Minerals

• Calcium
    • Magnesium
    • Manganese
    • Potassium
    • Sodium

Trace Minerals

• Selenium
    • Zinc
    • Chromium
    • Copper
    • Iodine
    • Molybdenum
    • Iron

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The person I responded to wrote what she ate. I responded because what you mentioned above WASN'T in her diet.

My bad on listing iron since I do know that one of the only ways to obtain iron is through animal products. But what I listed ISN'T unreasonable to believe that some doing keto may NOT be getting in vitamins and minerals that are essential for optimal and good health. I've done keto many times on contest prep.
    And yes, every diet you have to be mindful on. I ask vegans all the time about vitamins and iron that may be lacking in RDA amounts for them.
    Anyway, I think you're just responding to just what I write and not really seeing why I'm responding.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

She only mentioned a couple of things she was eating, and not a complete list, then you responded by saying"
    What about minerals and other vitamins that aren't provided if you're only doing keto? vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B7, vitamin B12, calcium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus to name a few.

Yeah, I have no idea why you responded in the way you did to that person, and yes, I did respond only to your response because it didn't make sense. Cheers
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Vitamins

• Vitamin B1
    • Vitamin B5
    • Vitamin B7
    • Vitamin D
    • Vitamin E

Major Minerals

• Calcium
    • Magnesium
    • Manganese
    • Potassium
    • Sodium

Trace Minerals

• Selenium
    • Zinc
    • Chromium
    • Copper
    • Iodine
    • Molybdenum
    • Iron

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

She only mentioned a couple of things she was eating, and not a complete list, then you responded by saying"
    What about minerals and other vitamins that aren't provided if you're only doing keto? vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B7, vitamin B12, calcium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus to name a few.

Yeah, I have no idea why you responded in the way you did to that person, and yes, I did respond only to your response because it didn't make sense. Cheers
    Which is WHY I asked. Hopefully she responds with what else she's eating. For all we know, what she listed is all she eats which is not uncommon when people do elimination diets.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • neanderthin
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Vitamins

• Vitamin B1
    • Vitamin B5
    • Vitamin B7
    • Vitamin D
    • Vitamin E

Major Minerals

• Calcium
    • Magnesium
    • Manganese
    • Potassium
    • Sodium

Trace Minerals

• Selenium
    • Zinc
    • Chromium
    • Copper
    • Iodine
    • Molybdenum
    • Iron

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Which is WHY I asked. Hopefully she responds with what else she's eating. For all we know, what she listed is all she eats which is not uncommon when people do elimination diets.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Vitamins

• Vitamin B1
    • Vitamin B5
    • Vitamin B7
    • Vitamin D
    • Vitamin E

Major Minerals

• Calcium
    • Magnesium
    • Manganese
    • Potassium
    • Sodium

Trace Minerals

• Selenium
    • Zinc
    • Chromium
    • Copper
    • Iodine
    • Molybdenum
    • Iron

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do you really believe she's only consuming milk, cheese and avocado. Pretty much every diet is an elimination diet like a vegan, fodmap, Dash, Ornish and the ketogenic diet is no difference. Considering most Americans eat a diet that's killing them, eliminating some of that food would be considered life saving. Cheers.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,348 Member
    Options
    I eliminate mayo and peppermint. If they are lifesaving, then perhaps I'm in trouble.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I eliminate mayo and peppermint. If they are lifesaving, then perhaps I'm in trouble.

No your good, they're both killer condiments. :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    With most of my clients, I don't give them nutritional programs because I'm not a certified nutritionist. But what I do with all of them is address some of the psychology of how to change their eating habits by taking just a couple small steps at a time. I learned from a guy I read a book about a long time back that if you address 5 main reasons as to why one got overweight, addressing one important one can rectify 3 of them. While there are many individual reasons why people think they got overweight weight, the main reasons overall were:

I eat out too much
    I overeat at every meal
    I eat too many fried foods
    I don't exercise
    I don't cook and prepare and carry my own food

If the last one is addressed, then the first 3 are pretty much-taken care of. I'm fortunate enough that I get to go home for almost all my meals and prep them myself. That's NOT to say I don't eat out. I just am able to control my weight because I don't ALWAYS eat out. But I know the reason my family isn't overweight is because I cook and prep the right amount of food for meals and do the grocery shopping as well. Is it tiring sometimes? Yes, after a long day at work, many times I don't feel like cooking..............but do 90% of the time.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You are right on... I have found ..for me.. this works.. preparing and prepping tasty on plan foods and packing them in containers to take with me everywhere i go. Never tempted to eat fast food our out.. It simply works. Add in your exercise..and it is just a matter of time.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Vitamins

• Vitamin B1
    • Vitamin B5
    • Vitamin B7
    • Vitamin D
    • Vitamin E

Major Minerals

• Calcium
    • Magnesium
    • Manganese
    • Potassium
    • Sodium

Trace Minerals

• Selenium
    • Zinc
    • Chromium
    • Copper
    • Iodine
    • Molybdenum
    • Iron

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Vitamins

• Vitamin B1
    • Vitamin B5
    • Vitamin B7
    • Vitamin D
    • Vitamin E

Major Minerals

• Calcium
    • Magnesium
    • Manganese
    • Potassium
    • Sodium

Trace Minerals

• Selenium
    • Zinc
    • Chromium
    • Copper
    • Iodine
    • Molybdenum
    • Iron

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do you really believe she's only consuming milk, cheese and avocado. Pretty much every diet is an elimination diet like a vegan, fodmap, Dash, Ornish and the ketogenic diet is no difference. Considering most Americans eat a diet that's killing them, eliminating some of that food would be considered life saving. Cheers.
    Do you know she's not? Again, not uncommon for people who embark on a diet to really not know what to eat. We get questions all the time here from people asking what they can eat on keto. And I didn't specify that keto was the only elimination diet. I just said it is. And while yes eliminating some foods in people diets will save them, eliminating too much can do the opposite.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• chezzac17
    chezzac17 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello @ninerbuff ..I find your posts very inspiring,is your diary open,I would just like to check what you eat , to keep a check , what I eat,absolutely no problem.....if your diary is not open,completely understand...thanks for sharing 🙂
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    chezzac17 wrote: »
    Hello @ninerbuff ..I find your posts very inspiring,is your diary open,I would just like to check what you eat , to keep a check , what I eat,absolutely no problem.....if your diary is not open,completely understand...thanks for sharing 🙂
    It's private, but I'll tell you I eat fast food at least 2 times a week and eat out at least once a week and it's usually either Thai, Chinese or Mexican.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• svetlanatanner
    svetlanatanner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hardly changed my eating habits from when I was loosing weight but I gained back 20lb. My main problem was that I stopped exercising. While I agree that strict dietary restrictions are not sustainable long term i would not put 90% mark on this reason. I think it is sustainadle diet and effective exercise together.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I hardly changed my eating habits from when I was loosing weight but I gained back 20lb. My main problem was that I stopped exercising. While I agree that strict dietary restrictions are not sustainable long term i would not put 90% mark on this reason. I think it is sustainadle diet and effective exercise together.
    Well you were eating enough to sustain losing weight while exercising. Eating the extra calories burned from exercise but NOT exercising would put you in a surplus which is why you gained weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,348 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    nossmf wrote: »

Dude, the little round ones with the hole in the middle are literally Lifesavers! 😬 Yer playin' with fire!

Wait, they come in flavors other than cherry?
  • Brigit02
    Brigit02 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It makes me so sad to see so many “I’m back” posts here.

If nothing else, read and learn from those folks.

I'm one of those sad posts. I didn't gain a ton of weight but enough for me to say "Oh no....gotta log food again." That's why this time I'm taking it so slow. If I fail a little "that's OK." Plus, I'm not driving myself crazy with major goals. I'm dealing with the little ones. Life is too short to beat myself up anymore.
  • mnhughes22
    mnhughes22 Posts: 61 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I'm not a certified anything and I don't want to sound like a spokesperson here but, has anyone heard of the PH Balancer from Mother Earth Labs?

I had to deal with some medical issues that caused a lot of changes in my life. During all that, I also changed up my diet and some routines but I was still feeling a little sluggish and dealt with a lot of inflammationg and such. I went to see a dietician and they recommended the PH Balancer.

I won't lie, the liquid form is not in any way shape or form tasty, but it is potent. It's made with organic foods and herbs and minerals and such. It was amazingly helpful to me when I was going through everything and really helped fill in some of the gaps that I had from my diet and regular daily vitamins.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it's at least worth a look-see to check it out and talk it over with your doctor and/or nutritionist.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    mnhughes22 wrote: »
    I'm not a certified anything and I don't want to sound like a spokesperson here but, has anyone heard of the PH Balancer from Mother Earth Labs?

I had to deal with some medical issues that caused a lot of changes in my life. During all that, I also changed up my diet and some routines but I was still feeling a little sluggish and dealt with a lot of inflammationg and such. I went to see a dietician and they recommended the PH Balancer.

I won't lie, the liquid form is not in any way shape or form tasty, but it is potent. It's made with organic foods and herbs and minerals and such. It was amazingly helpful to me when I was going through everything and really helped fill in some of the gaps that I had from my diet and regular daily vitamins.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it's at least worth a look-see to check it out and talk it over with your doctor and/or nutritionist.
    pH balancer is deceptive because your body regulates pH consistently because any small shift one way or the other can be dangerous for the body. That's why things like "alkaline water" or "alkaline diets" are BS.
    Just another way for companies to "scare" you and have them purchase products based on psuedoscience.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • mnhughes22
    mnhughes22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    mnhughes22 wrote: »

pH balancer is deceptive because your body regulates pH consistently because any small shift one way or the other can be dangerous for the body. That's why things like "alkaline water" or "alkaline diets" are BS.
    Just another way for companies to "scare" you and have them purchase products based on psuedoscience.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I never took it because of the "PH" factor. My nutritionist recommended it because of the micronutrients in it and the way it helped with my inflammation. Also, I will totally accept the fact that it's not for everyone.

I also never thought of it as a quick fix to anything. I did a lot of changes to my diet and daily routines to build new healthy habits, this just helped fill in a few of the gaps. I will also admit that at the time they put me on this I was dealing with brain tumors (about golf ball size) that had basically killed my pituitary glad so, everything in my entire system was WAY outta whack. I didn't even know a product like this existed and I ONLY started taking it after consulting with both my doctor and my certified nutritionist.