What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx, thinking of you this weekend, hoping your race is fun and satisfying! Will look forward to seeing the race report.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    40 minute horse ride today, planned an hour but changed route last minute so that I could have a gallop, so did a shorter route overall but had more fun >:)
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    Woke up with a back pain flare up today, went to the gym for over an hour to really work through my strengthening exercises along with some upper body stuff. Walked for an hour to and from the shops and also did some yin yoga this afternoon.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Upper body power day in the weight room, lots of sets of 4-6. Took longer than usual, on account of extra wait time before the final set of bench presses when I wanted to test my max reps. Last time I tested at this weight I got 8 reps; today I banged out 10. Was quite pleased, though it likely means I need to increase the weight I use to keep it in the "power" range rather than "hypertrophy". Not normally a problem, in fact usually something to celebrate, but I've been resistant to the idea of going too heavy on bench presses after I narrowly avoided double rotator cuff surgery a few years back doing too heavy bench presses. Granted, back then I was chasing the almighty one-rep-max, where now I don't drop below 4 reps, so the chances of injury are quite a bit less. But there is a bit of a psychological barrier in place I need to decide what to do with, whether to smash through or changeup my routine to work around it.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    lower body strength intervals (alternating strength moved with bursts of cardio), 25 min. then a one mile brisk walk.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Back to usual: Just under 7k rowing bow in the quad. We did some timed intervals with target strokes per minute ratings again.
  • nossmf
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Lower body power day in the weight room, took longer than normal as I had to wait multiple times for my needed equipment to become available. Busy day in the weight room, especially for 5am.
  • justanotherjen13
    justanotherjen13 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I started last week with a goal to walk at least a mile every day, but quickly pushed it up to a mile and a half. Today, I had to concede that I still don't have the stamina to do that just yet. Today I made it 1.33 miles and it was killing me. I was struggling the last half hour and am completely exhausted. Might have to cut that to just 1 miles tomorrow and for the rest of the week until I recover (am having a lot of pain in my hip, calves and shins).
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I went climbing on Saturday. We did some very easy sport climbing in Portland. Dorset. It was fun. We got a decent morning in, and then the heavens opened so we ended and did a hike.

We went bouldering on Sunday. It was also fun. Our destination,(Portland Bill) was at high tide, which drastically cut down on available routes.

I went climbing on Monday, with a spot of indoor bouldering. I was terrible; maybe I've been climbing too much. My Fitbit reckons I got its target active minutes (150 minutes) in this session alone.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Haven't been reporting since I've had a bit of a health setback. I had an old cyst on my back rupture and get really angry! Long story short, had to have it removed last week (went under, not local). Decent sized incision in my back (around six inches across). They glued it back together because it was only right below the skin, so not too deep or involved.

I'm under doc's orders to not "get too sweaty" but I'm walking and doing really, super easy cardio right now. Can't lift just yet. Hope to get back to that soon. Also, can't swim right now either. Hope to get back in the flow soon.

Also looking forward to hearing the triathlon report from @djproulx! You all are doing great!

Good to see you back here, @MikePfirrman. That cyst sounds like it was quite a painful thing. Glad you're on the mend.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @djproulx, that's both interesting and informative, speaking even as someone from a wildly different sport background. Congratulations on finishing! In any kind of competition, and a few things not truly competitive, I think an important success factor is that experiential self-knowledge to distinguish between hurting and actually being too hurt to continue safely. Thanks for sharing your honest race report!
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx, great job finishing and thinking your way through the difficult spots of the Half Iron race. Those photos were nice to see, also. Take some time to really rest up, mentally and physically. You know this already; I'm just spelling it out again. :)
  • nossmf
    edited July 2023
    Options
    As someone who used to run 5k's for fun and competition, just reading your report made me exhausted! lol The only part I could really sympathize with from my own experience was the part where you started in the back of the pack and systematically passed a number of people as you went. That was me during almost every 5k I ever ran...start off with a slow jog to let the crush of people get ahead, then start to accelerate as the crush broke apart into individuals again, concentrating on ignoring my own aches and fatigue by focusing on passing "just that one person ahead of me" over and over again. Though admittedly I passed more people during any inclines we encountered rather than during the declines.
  • nossmf
    Options
    After that exhausting read about a 70 mile tri-discipline race, my own meager 6 miles during one hour of elliptical hills seems quite tame by comparison.
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    Legs and arms in the gym today, getting a bit itchy to mix up my routine but need to give it a think as to what I want to change it to!

30 minute walk as well.