Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's chilly here in ohio and I found this amazing hot chocolate recipe online! It satisfied every craving I had: for warmth, chocolate, sweetness and filled my belly!
    2/3 cup water
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    Cinnamon to taste
    1/8 tsp vanilla
    2 packs splenda
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    Mix it all and heat! Soo good!

Ooh. I'm stealing this for my website, if you don't mind! :)
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    It's chilly here in ohio and I found this amazing hot chocolate recipe online! It satisfied every craving I had: for warmth, chocolate, sweetness and filled my belly!
    2/3 cup water
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    Cinnamon to taste
    1/8 tsp vanilla
    2 packs splenda
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    Mix it all and heat! Soo good!

Go bucks!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The hot chocolate recipe sounds just amazing..will definitely try this!

Well, I did not do as well as I had planned at the wedding last night. In fact, I did awful! I decided to just take a cheat day and not weigh in for a week or so and start fresh again today. So far, so good! It is 2pm and I've only had 9 carbs TOTAL...going to keep it at 20-25 TOTAL for a few days to get me back into ketosis.

No regrets from last night. I had an amazing time :)
  • AKosky585
    Options
    Quick question:

The past 5 days or so, I have been CONSTANTLY hungry. I'm doing nothing different really in my eating (high fat, high protein (not moderate, high works best for me) and low carbs) and usually I would have to force myself to eat meals to get above 1200 calories,....But lately I am just so hungry lately, even at 1400-1500 calories. Anybody know what the cause of this could be?
  • yummummum
    Options
    So glad to find this support group!

Week 1 of low carb had a lot of highs and lows for me! Had the Atkins Flu badly! But I really feel like a new person and actually look so much different already.

I came to atkins in such a round about way so I didn;t even realize I was doing Atkins until I read some things online. I am going to find the book and read it this week!
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Quick question:

The past 5 days or so, I have been CONSTANTLY hungry. I'm doing nothing different really in my eating (high fat, high protein (not moderate, high works best for me) and low carbs) and usually I would have to force myself to eat meals to get above 1200 calories,....But lately I am just so hungry lately, even at 1400-1500 calories. Anybody know what the cause of this could be?

Are you exercising more?? Sometimes that can cause a food demand. I usually eat more and feel hungrier when it's cool out vs. summertime. I'm curious to see how much of that applies in a low carb lifestyle, since most of the 'more' I ate before was carb heavy!!
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Quick question:

Having you been doing more physical activity and how were you sleeping?
  • yummummum
    Options
    What do you eat at night when you are a little hungry but it is more a munchie treat? I actually have had zero cravings until the last couple nights. I am truly a little hungry but I don't know what to eat. I mean, I know I could have cheese or nuts but I do feel like I have had my share of nuts already today.

What do you have as a snack at night?
  • AKosky585
    Options
    Kittrelle and Pork_belly...

I have not been exercising any more than usual, although I have added in jogging to my routine...1 minute jogging to every 3 minutes brisk walking...

..I've been sleeping okay, although last night I didnt sleep well at all (hotel bed).

ALSO...I couldn't help myself....I weighed myself after my cheat day yesterday...up 5 pounds! Please tell me after getting right back to it and doing really well, that this will be gone within a few days....
  • pork_belly
    Options

I have not been exercising any more than usual, although I have added in jogging to my routine...1 minute jogging to every 3 minutes brisk walking...

..I've been sleeping okay, although last night I didnt sleep well at all (hotel bed).

ALSO...I couldn't help myself....I weighed myself after my cheat day yesterday...up 5 pounds! Please tell me after getting right back to it and doing really well, that this will be gone within a few days....

I usually see weight gain after a cheat day. Water retention and carbs go hand in hand so expect a gain after cheating with carbs. Your metabolism is higher when you sleep. If your sleep is interrupted then it may impede weight loss. In a few days it will be gone.
  • pork_belly
    Options
    So glad to find this support group!

Week 1 of low carb had a lot of highs and lows for me! Had the Atkins Flu badly! But I really feel like a new person and actually look so much different already.

I came to atkins in such a round about way so I didn;t even realize I was doing Atkins until I read some things online. I am going to find the book and read it this week!

Reading the book will be very helpful. Also if you can find either Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" or "Good Calories, Bad Calories" it will help explain the science behind it all. This makes it easier to ingrain the diet plan into your daily use.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I usually see weight gain after a cheat day. Water retention and carbs go hand in hand so expect a gain after cheating with carbs. Your metabolism is higher when you sleep. If your sleep is interrupted then it may impede weight loss. In a few days it will be gone.
    Depending on what foods your cheat day consisted of, you could also be looking at water retention due to sodium, as well as the carbs. Obviously, you didn't really gain 5 pounds of fat in one day. Go back to your normal eating habits and the excess water weight should be gone in a few days.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself today and I now weigh 260!. .. from 265 a week ago or so. I will double check tomorrow but that's what the scale said so I'm going with it tonight! yaya!
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself today and I now weigh 260!. .. from 265 a week ago or so. I will double check tomorrow but that's what the scale said so I'm going with it tonight! yaya!

Thats amazing!! well done! This is what a love about atkins- the fast results!!!
  • louisee294
    Options
    Lunch ideas...

I work in a quiet office and have use of microwave. I have had weeks where ive munched on cheese and nuts, and when I'm more prepared in the morning I make an omelette then microwave it at lunch time.

Not a fan of bringing salads to work as I just dont look forward to them.

What do you guys take to work for lunch??
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Lunch ideas...

I work in a quiet office and have use of microwave. I have had weeks where ive munched on cheese and nuts, and when I'm more prepared in the morning I make an omelette then microwave it at lunch time.

I take leftovers usually when I don't take salad. Today I have braised pork with broccoli and butter. We try to make extra dinner so we can take some for lunch the next day.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Lunch ideas...

I'm speaking from OWL phase.
    For lunch I bring usually left overs of the weekend meals I cook

I also make my LC pizzas a lot.
    I use the Light Flat Out (Flax/low carb) wraps.
    turkey pepperoni
    pizza sauce
    italian cheese

11 net carbs 235 calories and it's pretty big and you can top it with more meat if your not having to watch calories as I am being so close to goal.

I also make chicken salad and eat it on romaine lettuce leaves

taco salad is always easy and yummy ( I am able to use the whole grain corn taco shells broken for sald or the La tortilla low carb soft tortillas for soft tacos)

You can cook up the meat ahead of time and all the other stuff in a bag and if you have a fridge at work you can eat on it for days.

For taco seasoning I use Linda's taco seasoning recipe. I make a big batch and use it when I need it.
  • louisee294
    Options
    Lunch ideas...

I take leftovers usually when I don't take salad. Today I have braised pork with broccoli and butter. We try to make extra dinner so we can take some for lunch the next day.

Ooh braised pork sounds amazing! maybe I just need to get my bum in gear and cook more in the evenings!!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Sweets ideas: Ricotta creme is great. Just 1/2c ricotta cheese, 1 packet of splenda(or truvia), 1/4 tsp vanilla extract. Mix it up and put a spoonful of whipped cream on top. :)
    There's also sugar-free jello, and that hot cocoa recipe that was posted here also sounds wonderful.

As for lunch ideas, I do the leftovers thing too, most of the time. I'll also get some smoked sausage links and have those since they're quick and easy, I love the chicken/egg/tuna -salads with lettuce cups or celery(or both!).