200+ lbs to lose

Options
Hi! My name is Holly. I am 38 years old, a working mom of 3, who also is going to school. I am 5' 5" and currently weigh 353 lbs and am trying to get down to between 140 and 150 lbs. I would like to be under 200 lbs by my birthday in October next year and hope to start 2025 having reached my goal. Unfortunately, that is about 2.5 lbs of loss each week which can be difficult and has health risks in and of itself. But of the many health issues I already have, over half could possibly be solved with weight loss, so I am going for it.

I am in need of eye surgery but I can not get it done due to my BMI being too high. I also have some heart damage already and when you consider I have a family history full of heart issues I need to get my weight under control. I reached my highest weight of about 374 this time last year.

I am here hoping I can find motivation, accountability and recipe ideas and just any help I can. Doing it by myself has not been working.

Replies

• KerryBSoCal
    KerryBSoCal Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to get healthier! I certainly know much effort is needed. Have you and your doctor considered one of the new weight loss medications (Mounjaro or Wegovy)? There is a nationwide shortage but the first two levels of dosage are still available. They can help you kickstart your weight loss and see early success. Best of luck to you!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on losing 21 lbs!

I hope you know that you are about to embark on a journey where there is no "weight loss" just a journey where you discover delicious foods and how much to partake of them.

• kirstinhlynch
    kirstinhlynch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well done, keep going! The first days of change are always the hardest ones
  • amberfoxglove42
    amberfoxglove42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It’s been slow for me! I started in 2021 at 248. Now I’m 191 and keep wishing my weight loss would pick up, but at this point I think it will be another 2-3 years before I’m at goal!
  • CatRunna
    CatRunna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The first step is always the hardest so well done for making a commitment!
    For me, weight loss is about performing the "Non-Negotiables" EVERY day. My "Non-Negotiables" are daily exercise, daily food tracking and a daily mindset practice, like a quick meditation or breath-work.
    I have been using MyFitnessPal for over 7 years - it will keep you accountable if you are honest and consistent.
    Getting a walk in every day is gold - that will count towards not only your physical health but is amazing for your mental health also. If you can do 12 minutes, then that's great.
    Take one day at a time, use MFP for tracking and inspiration, and remember why you started.
    The MFP community is behind you <3

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I am keeping up with tracking my food and have started trying to get in a walk or two every day, but have only been able to go about 12 to 15 min before my legs are absolute jelly. It has been a little depressing to see just how bad my health really is in every aspect. But I am determined to make improvements.

that's a start! Everything has to start somewhere

if you can only go 10 - 15 minutes for now, that's fine - just make yourself do it every day
    (but don't beat yourself up if you miss a day - just pick up and carry on)

When you can, gradually extend it - make it 10 mins per day then 15 mins then 20 minutes.

or 10 minutes twice a day.
  • irishdadx4
    irishdadx4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing an awesome job so far. It's wonderful that your doctor is supportive of your use of ketosis and intermittent fasting protocols. These will do wonders for your health. Understand that you are getting healthy to lose weight, not losing weight to get healthy. Please study up on the effects of a keto diet, and IF on your metabolic processes, doing keto right will most likely change your blood markers , especially cholesterol, in ways that if your doctor still follows conventional medical protocols with alarm her. You need to understand why keto does this, and that it is not the problem. Look up Dr. Ken Berry, Dr. Eric Berg, Dr. Annette Boz, Dr. Mandel, Ben Azadi FDN-P. Good Luck, and keep working
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You sound very determined and I wish you the best of luck! Be sure to focus on protein, healthy fats, and quality satiating carbs. You’ve got this!
  • andkaylym
    andkaylym Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I’m only 32, no major health issues yet, but if you’re in need of an accountability partner, I’d love to help with that! I’ve got 2 littles, work full time/mandatory ot, and starting at 352 earlier this week, I’ve done the yo-yo diets, I just can never get back down to where I’m happy! My cousin is getting married end of September 2024 and I’d love to be down to 200 as well!
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is exciting!! Congratulations on your initial losses and your desire to get healthier. It’s meaningful - don’t lose the desire.

I lost 115lbs with tracking and exercise. It’s hard when you first start (I could literally only do 15 minutes of the elliptical + stretching when I started), but staying diligent and honest with yourself (as another poster mentioned) is so important. Feel free to link up with me - I’m always down for more friends :) (You can also find me on IG at @kait_dee - I’m very active there too!)

You’re amazing Lady - you can do whatever you put your mind to!
  • SaraFayF
    SaraFayF Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Congratulations on starting! It's the first step. I started at 364 pounds. Truthfully it was way more but I didn't step on the scale for three months before starting my journey. It is 398 days later and I now weigh 234 pounds. My goal weight is 160, so I still have some way to go.

I did it with MyFitnessPal, keto and intermittent fasting. Macros were set to 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs. My IF times were 14:10 and my eating window was noon-10pm. I never cheated on keto and I tracked everything I ate. I lived of of eggs, bacon, cheese, beef and chicken, salads, fatty dressings.

I did not work out until was u der 300 pounds. And when I did start working out it was walking. First around the block. Then two. Then a mile. I'm up to 3 now. And some weights and yoga. Conquer food before you even think about exercise.

I have reversed my blood pressure issues. I have stopped having debilitating back pain. The reflux and irregularities are gone. My doctor is just amazed at how quickly it happened. Keep in mind, I am not insulin resistant. I was not even prediabetic. Talk to your doctor and keep regular checkups of lab work levels.

In the past year I have learned how to eat in a way that fuels my body and fuels my soul. Remember that this is not a diet you are on. You are in the middle of a life transformation. Fall in love with the food and journey. Deep dive into Pinterest and try every recipe that sounds good. Stay away from the almond flour recipes for at least six months. They take some acquired tastes lol. Oh and Check out zero carb tortillas if you need something "bready" 😁

You got this girl!