What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Ratatouille with crunchy, meaty crumbs! (Or as I like to think of them: munchy, greedy crumbs :D) Slightly adapted from a recipe by Melissa Clark, who has cult status in my house for her amazing recipes B)

Not sure why the first photo uploaded sideways.

trlbv0hr7bbh.png
    fs0m02w9w8sj.png
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,628 Member
    Options
    Turkish salad of watermelon, feta, mint, parsley and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses as a starter, followed by spaghetti aglio olio.
    2jg3ul99rmlv.jpeg
    nob62lt6ei46.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Ratatouille with crunchy, meaty crumbs! (Or as I like to think of them: munchy, greedy crumbs :D) Slightly adapted from a recipe by Melissa Clark, who has cult status in my house for her amazing recipes B)

How do you make the crumb mixture? The recipe link only listed ingredients with no directions. Do you make it separately as a topping?
  • acpgee
    Options
    Tofu pad thai. I used 1 tablespoon of oil instead of the 3 called for in the recipe.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/david-thompson-thai-recipes
    zwlp2k02j6us.jpeg

• takinitalloff
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @acpgee This is the recipe as I make it. (Slightly altered from Melissa Clark's original.) I highlighted the meaty crumbs part for you.

6 Tbsp olive oil
    1 lb ground lamb
    1 cup chopped almonds
    1 tsp Morton's Lite Salt (50/50 potassium/sodium)
    4 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 tsp finely chopped rosemary leaves
    black pepper

1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
    1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
    1 lb eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
    1 lb zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
    2 tsp finely chopped thyme leaves
    2-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
    1/2 cup chopped basil leaves, plus more for serving

IN A 12-INCH SKILLET, HEAT 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the lamb and cook, breaking up the meat as much as possible, until it is uniformly golden brown. Add the almonds and cook until they turn crunchy. Add 1 tsp salt, half the garlic, half the rosemary, and black pepper to taste. Cook for another minute and spread on a plate to cool.

RETURN SKILLET TO HEAT. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.

ADD 1/4 TSP SALT and some black pepper. Scrape the mixture into a bowl. Return skillet to heat. Add the remaining 3 Tbsp olive oil, eggplant, and zucchini. Cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender (about 10 minutes).

SEASON WITH THE REMAINING 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper to taste. Return the bell pepper mixtures to the skillet. Add the remaining garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Cook for
    1 minute. Add the tomatoes and basil, stir, and partially cover the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the vegetables are completely tender and falling apart, 15-25 minutes.

TO SERVE: sprinkle ratatouille with crunchy meaty crumbs, drizzle with olive oil, and top with chopped basil.

Store leftovers separately. To serve, heat the ratatouille and top with cold meaty crumbs, or reheat the meaty crumbs in a pan so they don't lose their crunch. I also like the leftovers cold when it's hot out.
  • takinitalloff
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Butter-poached shrimp with dill mayonnaise (another Melissa Clark recipe) with a side salad of butter lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber, and almonds. I love the shrimp in their poaching liquid, but it turns out I actually like them better without the mayo. So I used the dill mayo as a salad dressing instead, which worked out great. Big fan of this combo for a lovely summer day.

dq6kc031f9b0.jpg
    ymhcn44i9b9c.jpg
    dtxb62pketnl.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Salade Nicoise.
    cyox4a636msq.jpeg
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Cat0703a wrote: »
    aq9kzkc8qigs.jpeg

I wish I could like this 1000 times!
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC That photo you posted is everything I ever wanted in life. OMG such a cozy spot, with the rain and the open window... and the food & wine menu look amazing.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Turkish salad of watermelon, feta, mint, parsley and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses as a starter, followed by spaghetti aglio olio.
    2jg3ul99rmlv.jpeg
    nob62lt6ei46.jpeg

I'm going to make that salad for lunch today, it looks really good. I don't have molasses, but I guess a bit of honey and lemon juice will also do.
  • acpgee
    Options
    @Antiopelle

Pomegranate molasses is available in middle eastern shops. It is very similar to balsamic vinegar, but much cheaper. Honey and lemon or any other sweetish vinegar (such as Chinese black vinegar) makes a good substitute. The Turkish salad is good plain too.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    The hubby cooked tonight. Roast belgian endive, mash, meatballs, sauerkraut.
    iblllhvldz67.jpeg

Thanks for the tip about molasses @acpgee ! I love endives (I live in Belgium), and I especially like them with a good handful of chopped parsley, or broiled in a bit of beer. Or in the oven: roll some parboiled endives each in a slice of ham, cover with bechamel, top with grated cheese and in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve with mash. Perfect winter food. :smile:
    Now in summer: raw, thinly sliced and mixed with a little mayo and mustard !