SUMMER 2023 Weight Loss Challenge (JULY, AUGUST and SEPTEMBER ) A Continuation

Options

Replies

• deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,871 Member
    Options
    I painted my nails last night. Barbie anyone? I hope this brings a smile to all your faces!

2bargtiruz1z.png
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,860 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @takinitalloff I love the way you are looking at this. 4.5 oz a day! I'm cheering you on and you are doing great!

Thank you Donna! We can do this... 4.5 oz at a time B) (This is pure laziness to be honest: I find it's easier for me to calculate goal weights for my interim steps when I don't have to deal with partial weeks.)

You know, how many weeks left until the end of the month?

10 days = 1.42 weeks... multiplied by 2 lbs = 2.84 lbs
    is a bit harder to calculate in my head than
    10 days x 4.5 oz = 45 oz... divided by 16 = just under 3 lbs B)

Looking at it as 4.5 oz per day (rather than 2 lbs per week) also makes the whole thing more tangible & achievable for me. Even though it's the same thing, a quarter pound per day seems more approachable than 2 lbs per week.
  • GabsGatz
    GabsGatz Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    STARTING WEIGHT FOR THIS CHALLENGE: 160.2 lbs
    SUMMER CHALLENGE WEIGHT LOSS GOAL: 9 pounds, 151 (Secret Goal: in the 140s and never go back into 50s again)
    TOTAL CHALLENGE WEIGHT LOSS GOAL: 123 (37.2 lbs). Goal Date: APR 30, 2024

July 21: 156.8 (my weight on 7/24 is 160 so I'll have to see how much comes off because I was bad this weekend and adjust my goals as needed)
    July 28:

July Goal: 1 lb (starting challenge late), 159
    July Actual:

August 4:
    August 11:
    August 18:
    August 25:

August Goal: 4lbs, 155
    August Actual:

September 1:
    September 8:
    September 15:
    September 29:

September Goal: 4lbs, 151
    September Actual:

(Remaining goals at 4lbs/month: Oct: 147, Nov: 143, Dec: 139, Jan: 135, Feb: 131, Mar: 127, Apr: 123)
  • anneliz35
    anneliz35 Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

56 years
    5'4" tall

STARTING WEIGHT AT BEGINNING OF SPRING CHALLENGE: MY START 207 lbs
    YOUR CHALLENGE STARTING WEIGHT FOR THIS CHALLENGE: 200 lbs
    YOUR CHALLENGE WEIGHT LOSS GOAL: 176 lbs

July 3: 200 lbs
    July 10: 204 lbs
    July 17: 202 lbs
    July 24: No weigh in this week. Don't have the courage to look at the number on the scale. Some bad choices this week. Did do a few slips with smoking, but minimal. This is huge for me. I did not have meal plans or a workout schedule in the previous challenges and therefore, no consistency. I need something written down, in hand, to reference and move the ball forward to achieve my overall health and fitness goals. Meal planning, tonight. Have put together a schedule for weight training and cardio, today. So, accomplished! Cutting up veggies, cooking and chores, tonight. Determined to see the scale move downward by more than a few lbs this coming week. I have a free gym membership for 7 days in a row. Just haven't activated the darn thing. Committing to tomorrow. Just to try it out and see how that goes. Inspired by you. Good luck everyone! <3 and support!
    July 31:

July Goal: 192 lbs
    July Actual:
    July Loss:

August 7:
    August 14:
    August 21:
    August 28:

August Goal:
    August Actual:
    August Loss:

September 4:
    September 11:
    September 18:
    September 25:

September Goal:
    September Actual:
    September Loss:

Weight loss for this week:
    Current challenge loss:
    Challenge Weight loss goal: 176 lbs
  • Fooshki
    Fooshki Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fooshki wrote: »
    Hello, I’m a little late to the game but I would like to join this challenge. My name is Stephanie.

….

Challenge Weight loss goal: 228 lbs. (-20 lbs. total)

@Fooshki Welcome! I'm so glad you are here! I look forward to sharing our journeys.

Thank you! I’m excited to be here! I look forward to seeing us all succeed together. 😊
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,871 Member
    Options
    mnhughes22 wrote: »
    @deepwoodslady

I'm not following any specific diet really. I re-examined what my daily habits were, and I set about changing some of them.

1st: I cut out caffeine and sugary drinks and increased how much water I was drinking each day.

2nd: I reduced premade/prepackaged foods and eating out. This helped me eliminate a lot of extra calories.

3rd: I further reduced the amount of carb-heavy foods like pasta from my diet.

4th: I shifted how I was eating, not only portions but also what I was eating when.

- Breakfast went from cereal/oatmeal and juice to being more like roasted mushrooms/zucchini with scrambled eggs and water. I tried to keep the focus more on proteins and veggies.
    - Morning "snack" went from a piece of toast/english muffin to homemade trail mix with nuts and dried fruit only.
    - Lunch became my biggest meal of the day. What I used to eat for dinner was now more of my lunch. This is when I allow myself a few more carbs and a little bigger portion.
    - Afternoon "snack" at about 2-3pm is when I started having my "sweet" for the day which was actually my daily fruit such as a fruit salad or smoothy. I'm not a huge fan of fruits so this is a bit of a struggle for me still.
    - Dinner has become a much lighter affair and is usually salad with some lean proteins, or veggies. Honestly, the other night I had 1/2 a baked chicken breast and a small bowl of brussel sprouts.

5th: I still get sweet cravings, I'm not going to lie about that. I have a stash of reeses in the freezer and a container of starbursts in the pantry. I just get one though, and I let it sit in my mouth and melt slowly so I can enjoy it. It usually fixes my craving without ruining my diet, and I also don't feel punished or deprived of a tasty little treat here or there.

I'll be honest it has taken me a while to get here (there was some trial & error before hand) and I still stumble from time to time. I haven't focused much on a work out routine or anything yet as I figured I'd get the new eating habits established first. I don't take weight loss pills, nor have I had any type of surgeries for my weight or anything. Right now it's just been a lot of self-evaluation.

The only "secret/helpful tip" I have to share is to be completely honest with yourself, both in your goals and how you're getting there. If you deny what's happening in your life then you're only harming/hindering yourself.

If you're on a weight loss journey, remember that you didn't get to where you are overnight, and you're not going to hit your goal overnight. It's about taking little steps, one at a time. Sometimes you might stumble and fall, but there is still time to pick yourself up and take that next step, and it's ok if you need help to do that too. That's why a community like this is always nice to be a part of.

Sorry for the long post. I'm not sure if that's really what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

Have a good one!

@mnhughes22 Oh my Goodness, Yes, this was exactly what I was hoping for. Something specific laden with good tips. I love the idea that your biggest meal now is lunch instead of dinner. I'm retired now and free to schedule as I wish so I may try that for awhile. I'm working on water as I tend to seriously dehydrate pretty easily. I've went to half-calf coffee. I'm counting calories AND carbs especially since I am T2D. Thanks so much for all the info. for sharing a bit of your story with us. One of the big things I take from this (of many) is your swapping out of foods from not so good choices to much better ones. Healthy, Healthy, Healthy. Thanks again!
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,292 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
    I'm Chris - 72 year old female...5'5" ...I used to be 5'7" but arthritis hit and I lost two inches, so now that two inches is squished around my waist like the billows of a big accordion...
    ...Oh, well. I'll just keep working on it.
    Heaviest: 192.2
    Summer GW: 145.0
    UGW: 140.0
    07/01- 151.3 at 8:00 a.m. ...zero...I did nothing!!
    07/03- 152.3 at 6:00 a.m. ...60 min workout w/trainer
    07/10- 150.0 at 8:00 a.m. ...60 min workout w/trainer
    07/17- 150.5 at 8:45 a.m. ...60 min workout w/trainer
    07/24- 150.8 at 5:30 a.m. ...Grandson Duty then 60 min workout w/trainer
    07/31-
    I hope everyone has a good July!
    Chris
  • Bemybestby60
    Bemybestby60 Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    STARTING WEIGHT AND DATE WITH MFP(MY FITNESS PAL):
    November 17, 2016 200lbs

YOUR CHALLENGE STARTING WEIGHT FOR THIS CHALLENGE: 189 lbs
    YOUR CHALLENGE WEIGHT LOSS GOAL: 176 lbs
    I used the calculator that @Walela617 shared. So it calculated lowering my calories by 500 and my slightly active lifestyle, I could lose 13 lbs by October 5th. So I am going for it. My June 28th weight was 193lbs

July 5: 189 lbs 👍
    July 12: 189 lbs
    July 19: 189 lbs Well I am just gaining and losing the same weight.
    July 26: 189 lbs
    Looking back this month I did not lose or gain weight. I ended June at 193 lbs. So looking at that I will take this as a positive.

July Goal: 5 lbs
    July Actual: 189 lbs
    July Loss: zero

August 2:
    August 9:
    August 16:
    August 23:
    August 30:

August Goal: 4lbs
    August Actual:
    August Loss:

September 6:
    September 13:
    September 20:
    September 27:

September Goal: 4lbs
    September Actual:
    September Loss:

Weight loss for this week:
    Current challenge loss: zero
    Challenge Weight loss goal: 13 lbs
  • Bemybestby60
    Bemybestby60 Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    @mnhughes22 Thanks so much for your articulate post and sharing. Your last comments resonated to me.
  • zappa2017
    zappa2017 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    STARTING WEIGHT AND DATE WITH MFP(MY FITNESS PAL): 180 lb
    YOUR CHALLENGE STARTING WEIGHT FOR THIS CHALLENGE: 152 lb as of June 30
    YOUR CHALLENGE WEIGHT LOSS GOAL: 142 lb by Sept. 30

July 7: 152 lb
    July 14: did not weigh
    July 21: 155 lb
    July 28: 152 lb

July Goal: 148 lb
    July Actual: