Healthy for the Holidays Challenge - 9/06 - 11/22

Options

Replies

• prekteacher2
    Options
    The Biggest Loser premieres tonight!!! Who's watching?

LOVE these ladies from last season. They are the PICTURE of discipline and hard work. If they can do it, so can we! Let's get inspired!!!

BEFOREs and AFTERs

OLIVIA -- SW 261, Now 142

HANNAH -- SW 248. Now 138

EzixE.png

I love the last season girls. I'm watching this one too. We can do this.
  • prekteacher2
    Options
    I'm really struggling to figure out how to lower my carbs... I totally know it would be good for me though! I'm a carb junkie, and not a big meat eater. Can anyone offer some suggestions for meals and snacks that are low in carbs?

I'm in the same boat! I'm a carb~a~holic! I'm starting to eat more fruits and veggies.
  • prekteacher2
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! It's time to review our chart!

4kZ7I.png

MUCH better weight losses this week! We doubled what we lost last week! WAY TO GO!!!

We're also seeing a more colorful chart. Congrats to the following members who moved "up" in the colors (white to yellow or green, yellow to green).
    :flowerforyou: agirl11
    :flowerforyou: carrielofton
    :flowerforyou: ceejay000
    :flowerforyou: dbennett1

You are amazing! Thank you sooooo much for putting together a super spreadsheet.:happy:
    :flowerforyou: kylakesgal
    :flowerforyou: Leanz
    :flowerforyou: oliviawink
    :flowerforyou: opalmel
    :flowerforyou: patty9013
    :flowerforyou: Sandbug
    :flowerforyou: vwbear

This is AMAZING progress! Keep up the good work!

SPREADSHEET LINK:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoomF1o6sg6LdEw2NV92dFQ5RDZqbm1Bek5xR1M4M3c&hl=en_US

(FYI - I added 2 new sheets in the group spreadsheet. "Weekly %" shows the percentage you need to reach each week to be in the yellow or green groups. "Challenges" details each weekly challenge.)
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating lower carb IS challenging. It took me a couple of weeks to realize that my morning 1/2 bagel was really cramping my healthy eating options.

In a nutshell, here are Primal Blueprint's general eating guidelines:

DO EAT: meat, fish, poultry, eggs, vegetables (except white potatoes), nuts/seeds, healthy fats
    EAT in MODERATION: Fruit (2 small servings/day), full-fat dairy, alcohol (red wine recommended), dark chocolate
    DON'T EAT: Grains, beans/legumes, added sugar, unhealthy fats

Cooking and eating whole foods really helps eliminate a lot of carbs (and salt) that come with processed foods. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store for fresh (or frozen) veggies, fruits, full-fat dairy, and meats. Leave most of the boxed/bagged stuff on the shelf.

All I can say is, "It worked for me, when nothing else did."
    Normal BP from weight loss and reduced salt use.
    GERD/heartburn eliminated from weight loss and possibly from lower gluten intake.
    Much happier knees from weight loss and possibly from reduced gluten intake.
    Satisfying and sustainable eating plan that will work in maintenance mode, too.

Thanks for being good sports, and giving it a try! Even following the plan 80% of the time reaps benefits.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating lower carb IS challenging. It took me a couple of weeks to realize that my morning 1/2 bagel was really cramping my healthy eating options.

In a nutshell, here are Primal Blueprint's general eating guidelines:

DO EAT: meat, fish, poultry, eggs, vegetables (except white potatoes), nuts/seeds, healthy fats
    EAT in MODERATION: Fruit (2 small servings/day), full-fat dairy, alcohol (red wine recommended), dark chocolate
    DON'T EAT: Grains, beans/legumes, added sugar, unhealthy fats

Cooking and eating whole foods really helps eliminate a lot of carbs (and salt) that come with processed foods. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store for fresh (or frozen) veggies, fruits, full-fat dairy, and meats. Leave most of the boxed/bagged stuff on the shelf.

All I can say is, "It worked for me, when nothing else did."
    Normal BP from weight loss and reduced salt use.
    GERD/heartburn eliminated from weight loss and possibly from lower gluten intake.
    Much happier knees from weight loss and possibly from reduced gluten intake.
    Satisfying and sustainable eating plan that will work in maintenance mode, too.

Thanks for being good sports, and giving it a try! Even following the plan 80% of the time reaps benefits.

Thanks Rose, I do believe it works! It sounds a lot like the South Beach diet...but I hate the word "diet"...it's unfortunate that most of the snacks we love have the carbs, but more meats and veggies is the key!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am realizing how hard it is to get my carbs down. Good challenge this week!
  • teeshuh
    Options
    Finally broke my plateau today and hit 229!! I am way to excited :)
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    the week is not over but it certainly was an interesting one. Got in a lot of good exercise, but had some heavy eating days (TOM is partially to thank for this), including all restrictions off visit to one of my favorite mexican places. But yesterday I was quite "good" and I'm just hoping to get myself back to 160.5 for tuesday. I took a good walk with my neighbor this morning and I have ultimate frisbee today, so I think the big burn today will really help. Epic fail on the low carb thing, this week was not the one for me to do that with the huge hole in my belly for 2 days running.

I finally took my measurements this morning - the first time since March. Here are my stats:
    Neck: 13
    Chest: 37.5
    Waist 37.5
    Hips: 39.5

One of my NSVs is to lower these numbers. I hope to see an overall 2" loss. Interestingly, my numbers didn't move much since March, lost 2 on my waist, and .5 on both chest and hips. But I have moved down a pant size, so even small changes in inches make big changes in clothes.
  • prekteacher2
    Options
    I wish I had ate:ohwell: better but I did move alot this week end. I got a short treadmill walk in but then today I went apple picking then grocery shopping plus walking around the mall. I bought some Oolong tea. Dr. Oz says its good for weightloss and other health benefits. I really do like it. We'll see on the weight loss!

I've got my food ready for tomorrow and clothes in the bag for bootcamp. I hope everyone has a great Monday.:flowerforyou:
  • prekteacher2
    Options
    the week is not over but it certainly was an interesting one. Got in a lot of good exercise, but had some heavy eating days (TOM is partially to thank for this), including all restrictions off visit to one of my favorite mexican places. But yesterday I was quite "good" and I'm just hoping to get myself back to 160.5 for tuesday. I took a good walk with my neighbor this morning and I have ultimate frisbee today, so I think the big burn today will really help. Epic fail on the low carb thing, this week was not the one for me to do that with the huge hole in my belly for 2 days running.

I finally took my measurements this morning - the first time since March. Here are my stats:
    Neck: 13
    Chest: 37.5
    Waist 37.5
    Hips: 39.5

One of my NSVs is to lower these numbers. I hope to see an overall 2" loss. Interestingly, my numbers didn't move much since March, lost 2 on my waist, and .5 on both chest and hips. But I have moved down a pant size, so even small changes in inches make big changes in clothes.

Whoohoo good for you. Gotta love moving down pant sizes
  • prekteacher2
    Options
    Finally broke my plateau today and hit 229!! I am way to excited :)
    [/quote

Sweet!:glasses:
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat that well this weekend.. I cannot stop eating junk!

I moved a TON yesterday though and a moderate amount today. hopefully it wont affect on the scale too much.

I've been feeling ill lately.. I don't know if TOM is coming or I'm knocked up... LOL only time will tell.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Mmm! as a vegetarian I am really struggling with the low carb part of the challenge. No beans/pulses makes it hard! Leaves mainly cheese and eggs and I'm not too keen on eating lots of those!

Very interesting though and working on the physical challenges - thanks!

I am struggling with the last couple of pounds :( A head thing I think. Really want to lose the last bit and maintain the loss. I didn't maintain last time. BUT I seem to constantly undermine myself. I know how to lose the weight but I will take the treat when offered (or raid the pantry)

Anybody got any insight? Please. . . . !
  • oliviawink
    Options
    I didn't eat that well this weekend.. I cannot stop eating junk!

I moved a TON yesterday though and a moderate amount today. hopefully it wont affect on the scale too much.

I've been feeling ill lately.. I don't know if TOM is coming or I'm knocked up... LOL only time will tell.

LOL. Hope it's whichever you dread less. TOM is a short-term thing, and knocked up, well it's more than long-term, it's lifelong-term, for better or worse. LOL. IT's also bug season, so maybe you caught something...
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You are better than that! Remember any time you want to make a choice that would lead you down the wrong road--You are better than that!

Check out the beck diet solution, it really helps with the mental aspects, the thread I am working on is in my signature.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    You are better than that! Remember any time you want to make a choice that would lead you down the wrong road--You are better than that!

Check out the beck diet solution, it really helps with the mental aspects, the thread I am working on is in my signature.

Thank you - sounds hard work from your thread. I will check the Beck Diet out
  • Cusegirl1992
    Options
    Cusegirl1992/Martha

SW: 149
    CW: 146.2 :bigsmile:
    GW: 139

I am so excited!
  • knrbaker
    Options
    I know you are couple weeks into it already, but do you mind it I jump in? I fell of the wagon 2mo. ago and soooo need to get my act together and be more accountable. I'm hoping by joining your group I will feel like I can't let you all down. I have never been part of a group before so Im not really sure how to keep track? Any pointers will be much appriciated. Thanks to all!
  • oliviawink
    Options
    I know you are couple weeks into it already, but do you mind it I jump in? I fell of the wagon 2mo. ago and soooo need to get my act together and be more accountable. I'm hoping by joining your group I will feel like I can't let you all down. I have never been part of a group before so Im not really sure how to keep track? Any pointers will be much appriciated. Thanks to all!

of course you can join! Welcome knrbaker! :flowerforyou: today or tomorrow add your start weight for this challenge and your goal weight, as well as any non-scale victories (NSVs) that you want to achieve by challenge end (ex. run a 5 k; lose 2 inches overall; eat more whole grains, fruits, veggies; whatever you like). Every Tuesday a challenge is posted to help motivate you through the week. Use this message board to reports successes, challenges and update on how you are doing in your NSVs and/or the weekly challenge. Check in as often or little as you would like, but word-to-the-wise, staying close/checking in often really helps to accountability and motivation.
  • oliviawink
    Options
    Fitness/Food Challenge for week of Sept 19th.

I'm currently in the midst of the Primal Blueprint 30-Day Challenge, so I thought I'd give you a sample of what I've been doing along this weight-loss journey. You can read more about it at <marksdailyapple.com>.

Fitness challenge: Try all three, OR pick one that you don't currently do, and try it this week.

Lift heavy things--2 body-weight strength training workouts each week (planks, pushups, pullups, squats etc.) I also count heavy cleaning, moving boxes and furniture, heavy yard work, etc..
    Low Level Aerobic Activity--3-5 hours of easy moving each week (gardening, shopping, walking/hiking, house cleaning, horseback riding, playing outdoors with kids, etc.)
    Sprint--One all-out effort each week (stair climbing, running, jogging, whatever leaves you temporarily exhausted and out of breath at the end)

Food challenge: I've been eating lower-carb on this journey, and it's worked for me. If you are having trouble getting rid of the last few lbs. or having a hard time starting to lose--try eating about 100g carbs per day and see what happens. OR If you don't want to go lower-carb, just keep track of the carbs in your meals and notice which kind of meals/foods leave you the most satisfied.

Rose

My update on this week's challenges (I know, I know, there's one more day until the next one).

eating lower carb: total fail. This was a big time munchie week for me. TOM came and my body was STARVING for 3 days straight. Literally could not get my belly full. Got back to normal eventually, but low carb was not happening this week.

Workouts:
    heavy things - did 3 gilad circuit training workouts this week. Lots of weights and calisthenics, so i'm counting that here. I didn't do any extra weights this week, but I'm going to make that a mini-goal for this coming week
    low level - 2 long walks with kid in stroller
    sprint - 1 walk-jog with stroller and 1 day of ultimate frisbee, literally sprinting and jogging off and on for 3 hours.

I really like thinking in the mindset of getting in the 3 kinds of workouts each week. I see the merits of all of them and helps to build a well rounded workout week.

:flowerforyou: Thanks for the great challenges Rose!:flowerforyou: