What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Sloooow push power jerk practice to get used to power modulation with speed variation. No idea how many sets as I just did what my coach shouted 😀 but 45 mins mobility, warm up and plyos, then one hour jerk practice.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,842 Member
    Did my 30 minutes of strength physio today in which I managed to cramp as many exercises as possibly without making my pt angry for going too fast. Then ran/walked 6.5km (about 5km running). I'm slowly getting better with running again. Phew.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,298 Member
    Hatha yoga 🧘🏼‍♀️ with lots of stretching. Also a 30 min weights session .. Bi, tri and shoulders.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,929 Member
    @AnnPT77

Purple Loosestrife and Yellow Garden Loosestrife aren't really related despite the common name. Yellow Garden Loosestrife is actually a primrose, not a loosestrife. Taxonomists keep learning new things....

Purple Loosestrife has been an invasive weed in Oregon for so long it's now on the "B" list. There is also now a biocontrol for it; some beetles that are host-specific and seem to be working. In areas that get regularly inundated, the biocontrol doesn't work as well; the poor beetles drown.

Yellow Loosestrife is a relatively recent arrival here, and it's still on the "A" list of weeds that we think we might actually be able to eradicate.

It's nice to see sites that used to be covered with Purple Loosestrife now only have scattered patches. I don't think we'll ever get rid of it, but it can be naturalized and somewhat controlled like Tansy Ragwort. There are no known biocontrols yeet for Yellow Loosestrife.

The other weed we're trying to eradicate on this particular grant is Floating Yellow Heart. We are having some success, and ideally after we knock it back we can just monitor every few years and assure it isn't coming back. You can't buy or sell it in the state anymore, but there's probably still some out there.

There's others like Ludwigia (called water primrose even though it's not a primrose) that we may never really get a handle on. I'd love there to be a biocontrol for that one. It grows like gangbusters. There's a native species too which makes it hard to identify.

It's tough work, but it's rewarding. It's a mixed feeling when you do or don't find the weed you are looking for. If you do find it, it's rewarding to see it sprayed with herbicide. If you don't find it, that's also rewarding, but it leaves you wondering if you just missed it.

Now we're wandering off topic again.

Today's workout included getting an 80 pound pig of a tandem canoe off the top of my car. I took it yesterday in case it was needed; it wasn't. I just locked it on the car at the take-out. I paddled the Advantage, and there's a good chance I'll put it up for sale. There's a boat swap tomorrow about an hour away from here....
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,864 Member
    Elliptical, one hour intense hills - 5.8 miles, 800 calories

Plus an additional 1-2 hours of pushing a grocery cart around the store. Can't believe this is the final week my little girl will be home (she reports for Navy basic training next weekend).
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Four of us went out for a two hour ride, in preparation for next weekend’s Cranberry Trifest in southeast Mass. Two guys, two girls on the ride.

Both women are podium threats in short course triathlon and they are in peak racing condition according to their Garmin measurements. They led us out of the starting gate at over 20mph for the first five miles before the long climbing section brought our speeds down to a more reasonable pace. This was an out and back route of 36 miles done in 2:04:00, or a 17.4 pace. It felt good to push a bit today as opposed to just doing a social ride.

Plan is to run and maybe swim tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    Guess what, more rowing and rowing-related.

Did the usual just under 7k this morning in bow of the quad, with a different new rower in 3 seat. Again, easy steady state with some drills, to help move the new person along. It benefits us to do basic drills, too - always good to refresh on basics; and I think we all love helping new rowers develop their skills and move to the next step with our mutual sport.

I ate brunch at our usual post-row coffee-klatch, then went back to the club for a fund-raiser birthday party: Eight friends paid for a "rowing experience" in our barge, with coaching, to celebrate one person's birthday. I helped with about a one-hour effort to bail several inches of water out of the barge, combo of hand bailing, shop vac, scrubbing, towel-wiping. Then I helped move the barge to the dock, put in seats/oars, so the party people needn't do any of that. During the row, I was mostly rudder-woman, but rowed a bit with the end (swapped with a woman who's better at "parking" the barge than I am, at rudder).
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Slow paced recovery intervals today. 4 minute run, 1 min walk . Forty minutes total.
  • mtaratoot
    Much needed rest day.

I drove an hour to pick up SCUBA cylinders from annual inspection and drop off a regulator set for annual service. Then I grilled some fresh albacore for melt-in-your-mouth goodness. I managed to save two small pieces for today.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    edited August 2023
    Nothing yesterday as I was on call and got called in to deal with something which took much longer than necessary but hey ho. Had to prioritise starting to paint my front door so workout took a back seat.

Today up early and out for my customary Sunday horse ride. 5k in little under an hour which is pretty much the pace we usually do (my horse is pretty slow in walk but he's a steady Eddie so I don't mind). Went through all paces at various points and tried to focus on my position. I also stretched and tried to warm up my hips beforehand for the first time in a long time, need to make this a habit again! I may not be an endurance or cross country rider but I need to remember to limber up. He is very very wide and my hips have never been the most flexible!

Have spent the afternoon doing more painting, will try and get some yin yoga in now that I'm finished.
  • AnnPT77
    Between 10AM and 2PM, at least 3 hours steadily shoveling limestone fines into a wheelbarrow, wheeling, dumping, and repeat.

A person could pay hundreds at a health club for a functional fitness experience like this, but it was free with my rowing club membership. (We're improving the dirt floor in our pole barn boathouse.)

Plus it came with free pizza, kind of like at Planet Fitness . . . only better quality pizza. 😆

Gonna feel it tomorrow. 🤣
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 533 Member
    Just easy Sunday 4 mile jog before it turned 1 million degrees. Finished in about 38 mins.. shared a lox bagel with the wife, cup of coffee.. and since it was brunch a mandatory 5 oz glass of pomegranate sangria.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited August 2023
    I have been ultra-active recently, but crap at logging.

I went climbing on Thursday. It was fun. I got a couple of v4s and a shed load of v3s.

I went caving over the weekend. We did the through trip from OFD1 to Cwm Dwr on Saturday. It was raining heavily, so the streamway was very active. It only started to rain overnight; any longer and the trip would not have been viable. It was fun; a very active 5.5 hour trip.

Sunday was a gentle bimble through the Maze in OFD 2. It is a stunning bit of cave; I'd not been there before. 4 hour trip.

The main risk over the weekend came at a motorway service station on the way home. People were letting the escalator move them up rather than walking, so I got bored. I wondered if I could avoid putting any weight on my legs and do dips the whole way up. It turned out the answer is no; because the left hand rail moved slower than the right hand.
  • laurachambers86
    Full body workout at the gym today. Was going to go spinning this evening too but my back is a bit iffy so I thought I wouldn't push it and went for an hour's walk instead.
  • AnnPT77
    Surprisingly non-sore after yesterday's multi-hour limestone-fest.
    Photo of me, complete with dust mask, during the shoveling/wheelbarrowing of limestone at the boathouse.)
    djmnje9gcsw3.jpg

Maybe there are consequences coming tomorrow - day 2 DOMS thing? We'll see.

I did find that my low back was a little stiff at the start of this morning's row. I was in bow of the double, behind a guy who's much taller than I am, and a quite-skilled rower so he uses that wonderful length to create loooong strokes.

At first, we were clashing oars because I couldn't match his angles through the whole arc of the stroke. He kindly rowed at 3/4 slide for a while until I loosened up, and I moved my foot stretchers at the first bridge to create a little more room for myself, too. Things went fine after that. Mostly steady state rowing, but we did a few drills, especially some to emphasize things he's been working on.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,864 Member
    Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 4x12
    Machine Fly 3x12
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10
    Machine Lateral Raise 4x12
    Machine Curl <superset> Machine Pushdown 3x10
    Perloff Press 3x15sec
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,645 Member
    edited August 2023
    Chest, shoulders triceps

2x12, 1xfailure on chest press
    2x15, 1xfailure chest flys (uppercut variation)
    Next 3 we’re done on about 15 seconds rest between first and last set:

1x12, 1x failure cable one armed cable reverse fly
    1x12, 1x failure cable side raise
    1x12, 1x failure front raise

3x failure seated cable skullcrusher (done with like 2 breaths between sets)

The last 4 exercises were entirely done that way because I was chasing dark to do a 3 mile brisk walk.
  • laurachambers86
    Well I've done a big fat nothing the past two days! Yesterday was planned rest day, and then I got this weird migraine with stomach pain that keeps plaguing me overnight so today has been a write off too - did have gym planned first thing and pilates this evening. Doctor thinks I may have some kind of bacterial infection in my stomach but waiting for test results. Hey ho, some things I can push through, some things I can't, this was definitely the latter but it's only a temporary derailment!
  • mtaratoot
    Helping load 11 folding tables, 110 folding chairs, and plates, coffee cups, glasses, napkins, tablecloths and cutlery for a group of 100 for two days into a 26' U-Haul in 90-degree heat.

It's actually a four-day trip. After day two, a truck will take dirty dishes, tableware, and linens back to exchange for clean ones. We'll load up the tables and chairs every day as well as two bags per person (no more than 40 pounds per bag please) each day. At least it will be cooler out starting tomorrow. Glad I got this task done early in the day as it's going to get over 100 before day's end, and inside that truck box will be.... a little on the warm side.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    In the evening I did a 20 mins arms and abs dumbbell workout with fitbymik on YouTube. Then 15 mins cardio still with fitbymik. Now, this one barely counts as a workout but I started this 10 mins beginners session by The Jump Rope guys. They say do it as often as you need to in order to get comfortable, and I think I'll be doing it for a while- I am still way too heavy to hop on one leg and I still lack coordination to jump properly at proper speed.