WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Kim I was stung by 12 wasps two summers ago. I took some Benadryl too. When I got stung I put bentonite clay on the stings, elevated what I could. Stung on legs and arms. I also put ice on the stings and tried to stay calm. I did go into emergency care but there was a young woman coughing who did not wear her mask over her mouth and we were in the middle of COVID so I left. Now I carry a homopathic remedy. I have not had to use it. I did think to take it to my friend's house. Because of the time of year there were wasps in her pool. I was careful and she and I keep filtering them out and I had no problems. She was going to let them drown in her pool. I said not a good idea they can still sting after they are dead if you are not careful. I did swell when it happened two years ago and for some reason after the swelling went down I swelled up again a week later. I carry a kit with benadryl or quercerin, the bentonite clay, and the remedy. It is a good reminder if we go to the State Fair to take my kit because the sweet drinks are ubiquitous wasps are very common there.

We have a bee first aid kit, just in case. It's recommended if a person has hives.

We do get wasps around but fortunately found their nest and they've been dispatched.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - great photos of you and your DH, very elegant. You both look like you are in your 40's.
    That venue was beautiful.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Thank you! :)

I am only 6 years out of my 40s. :)

M in Oz

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    edited August 2023
    Options
    The Island Project
    https://island.mooc.utas.edu.au/

"The Island Study Linking Ageing and Neurodegenerative Disease (ISLAND) Project will involve a range of studies that relate to understanding who is at most risk of dementia and how we can self-manage risk behaviours to build resilience to dementia."

It's the world's largest dementia prevention study, here in Tasmania. :)

"The Wicking Dementia Centre has world leading research on the cause, prevention and care of dementia. It has also developed a unique public health intervention, the Preventing Dementia Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), which builds self-efficacy in managing behaviours that contribute to risk of this condition.

Most of the risk for dementia is associated with ageing. However, international research has indicated that approximately a third of dementia cases may be effectively prevented if modifiable risk factors are addressed. It is never too late to tackle these risk factors, but it is particularly important from middle age onwards."

I'm an Island Member ... I signed up for the program some time ago.

As part of the program are free online courses:
    https://www.utas.edu.au/wicking

"Our range of free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) offer university-quality education that is designed to be accessible and appealing to people from diverse backgrounds and is based on the latest research.

The Understanding Dementia MOOC addresses the foremost issues surrounding dementia and provides knowledge designed to maximise quality of life across the trajectory of dementia for people with the condition, their families and carers.

The Preventing Dementia MOOC investigates the best available evidence about dementia prevention, drawing on a range of expertise from around the globe. You will learn about the latest research and how you can modify risk factors which may decrease your susceptibility to dementia.

The Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) MOOC will give you an introduction to brain science and the pathology of TBI from concussion to severe injuries. Information will also be provided to build knowledge relating to common causes of TBI, management and rehabilitation strategies for people who have experienced a TBI."

Courses:
    I've taken the Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury course and will take the other two at some point.

I think you all should be able to access the links by going to https://www.utas.edu.au/wicking and scrolling down a bit, and I think that MOOCs are available in most countries of the world. If you're interested. :)

Dementia Risk Reduction
    https://www.dementia.org.au/risk-reduction

Non-modifiable risk factors are risks that cannot be changed, such as:

• age – as you age, your risk of developing dementia increases
    • genetics – there are a few very rare forms of dementia associated with specific genes
    • family history – a family history of dementia increases your risk of developing dementia but at this stage it is not clear why.

Modifiable risk factors are risks that can be changed through lifestyle choices. You can reduce your risk of dementia by looking after your:
    • heart health
    • body health
    • mind health

Healthy brain, healthy life - How to reduce your risk of developing dementia
    https://www.dementia.org.au/sites/default/files/2020-07/20081_DA_HealthyBrainHealthyLife_A5_BOOKLET_FA_WEB.pdf

Reducing your risk of dementia
    There are health and lifestyle factors that contribute to between 35% and 50% of dementia cases worldwide. These factors include:
    • cardiovascular health conditions
    • physical inactivity
    • hearing loss
    • sleep disturbance
    • poor diet
    • low levels of complex mental activity or stimulation in early life
    • depression
    • social isolation

Looking after your heart
    Many people are unaware of the connection between heart health and brain health. The latest research shows that cardiovascular conditions, or those that affect the heart and blood vessels, are linked to a higher risk of developing dementia later in life.
    These conditions include:
    • high blood pressure (hypertension)
    • high cholesterol
    • type 2 diabetes
    • obesity
    • heart disease
    • smoking.
    These conditions are often linked with lifestyle factors such as physical inactivity and/or a poorly balanced diet.

Looking after your body
    Being fit and healthy is important for your brain. You can maintain body health and reduce your
    risk of developing dementia by:
    • increasing physical activity
    • maintaining a healthy, balanced diet
    • maintaining healthy sleep patterns
    • checking your hearing and other senses
    • protecting your head.

Increase physical activity
    A lack of physical activity is one of the highest contributing risk factors to cognitive decline and
    dementia in later life. Exercise helps keep the brain healthy and improves memory and thinking by:
    • supporting blood flow and oxygen
    supply to the brain
    • increasing new brain cells
    • contributing to brain reserve
    • protecting brain functioning in later life.

How much physical activity should I do?
    The current Australian Department of Health guidelines recommend:
    • 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on at least five days a week
    • muscle strengthening activities twice a week.

Moderate-intensity physical activities are those that cause your heart to beat faster and feel out of breath.

So first and foremost ... get fit and healthy!

Keep reading the pdf brochure here:
    https://www.dementia.org.au/sites/default/files/2020-07/20081_DA_HealthyBrainHealthyLife_A5_BOOKLET_FA_WEB.pdf

For me, I need to work on my sleep quantity. I don't get quite enough sleep.

I also need to keep on top of my hearing loss.

And finally ...

Try something new!
    Activities that are new, novel or challenging in some way require more mental effort and brain stimulation.

• Machka9
    Options
    Just in case you missed it before ...

Our story - my husband and me:
    https://machka.net/2021/08/21/rowan-charlene/

Machka in Oz
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,259 Member
    Options
    Today I was up in my study/guest room when I noticed what I remembered as a really colourful Indian throw, with sequins on, which we bought in India. I had used it to cover a large pile of boxes containing photographs, and it was functioning as a telephone table. Well.......... :o
    I hadn't noticed that it had faded to a dirty brown! In my head it was still the original rich colours. But no. :#
    So I've just ordered another one from Amazon! No sequins, but a colourful Mandala pattern.
    Strange what we don't see when things change gradually!

I set off another carpet moth smoke bomb in there today. It kills off the moths OK, but I guess the eggs sre harder to kill. I have to do it every couple of months.

I've been enjoying watching a few Bob and Brad videos today and some Clutterbug ones. Maybe that's why I saw my throw with new eyes. I also cleaned the sink. :p
    Small things are very pleasing.

Enjoy your guests, Lisa!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 13/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 3/20

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate patient people.

Meditation: daily. 22/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Had bad asthma attack sending me to ER.

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 7/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,6745,7029 (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 3/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 174/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)71/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 13/22 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 31/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why. I will!
    10. Check in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious. Checked in with my son.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others. Did this at ER when the diagnosis was given.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them. Did this yesterday and will do again today.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too. I need the rest!
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet. Will do! Need to de-stress!
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling. I will try to put myself in the other person’s shoes. Did this again last night with a camper.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone. Will have to think about this! Did not do this. :(
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments. Will do!
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else. I did try to accommodate a camper.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible. I am.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today. Sometimes that is hard but I am getting better at it. Maybe not right away but after I thought about the person’s reactions and what could cause it.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity. I will have to think on this. Not planning on going to town today. Did not do this.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention. I will try.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful. I do when I find something useful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past. This one is hard. I will try to forgive my father.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need. Easy! I did that yesterday giving someone a campsite who didn’t know how to use the electronic means to reserve a site.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH
    A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.
    \

Thrive Market EFGT code

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,579 Member
    Options
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    B)

Katla in Illinois
  • readynhealth
    readynhealth Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the Welcomes! :):):)