WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I’m curious to know if you like your new spin mop. My mother adores hers. Every house cleaner I’ve ever had swore by them. I have tried them twice and cannot love them. I ended up passing them both on to Mama. I prefer a flat microfiber covered mop head. Dave prefers a plain old-fashioned string mop. We are therefore a two mop family, but neither are the spin mop.

PTracey, my morning devotional reading had a story about the perf3ct looking flowers in a hotel lobby being plastic and the way the writer could tell the green plants were real was that there was a small brown spot on one of the leaves. Anyway, the point was that real things or people are imperfect and ultimately the better choice. Embrace your achievements, and celebrate being real.

Machka, interesting observation about seeing things differently. The other women in my bridge group say that I organize my cards backwards. I put them in ascending order from left to right. I tried their way once, but it seemed so wrong!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    Options
    Had a good clear out of my spice collection today and got my pull-out spice drawer in order. It was full of little empty bottles, which I never use these days, because I always order in bigger quantities. We've washed them out, and they may come in useful. :o If not, I will bin them. I'm using jam jars for spices and herbs to hand, and spare packets are in the utility room.
    Next job is the dry goods drawer in the utility room. I've just thrown out two packets of soup bean mix which DH bought and I know I will never use. It just needs rationalising into sections.
    All the decluttering coming along nicely! :D
    Very grateful to Clutterbug.

Decent article here on fitness and diet. Always good to remind ourselves of the importance of strength training as we get older.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/sep/01/do-you-really-need-to-walk-10000-steps-a-day-and-17-other-fitness-rules-tackled-by-the-experts

Chorizo sausages and lentils for dinner. Broccoli. Friday night is wine night.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Happy September, my chickens,

Ginny – That’s all I could do when taking the steroids is let my body decide when it could sleep, because it was certainly not in my control! Was glad to see the back of them… That said, I do hope they’re helping that inflammation.

Machka – I don’t even know how to tell you how happy it makes me that you’re headed into spring as I’m sitting here with the first hint of cool fall mornings in the air. It gives me hope for our world – that women spread so far apart across the globe that we are not just in different time zones but different seasons can find this common ground to stand on. Here is the place where we can care for our own lives, the lives of those we love, and each other. It’s a joyful thing, this—happy spring, dear heart. And well done on the 5.4 kg loss!

Heather - Makes me think of your "interbeing" reference, that global sense of belonging. Love Johnny's newest work, very striking.

Debbie – I always wonder if I’m not moving fast enough when the vultures start checking me out! :D Your walk through the wetlands sounds absolutely wonderful.

Rebecca – That’s so funny, Amazon is supposed to deliver a spin mop today that I ordered a week ago. My daughter recommended the spin mop, and I have great faith in her Army-instilled need for things to be completely clean! Glad you're going to see both your youngest and eldest in the months to come--they'll be there before you know it!

Speaking of my daughter, I meant to say before we left August that she will be receiving an Army Commendation Medal for her actions in taking control of the situation with the older gentleman in the Salt Lake City airport, including performing CPR and the defibrillator and keeping him going until emergency services arrived. Always proud of Kelsey, and terribly pleased to see that the Army is too.

A rant on more on her ex-husband's shenanigans:
    Talked to Kels last night, because she just found out that her ex-husband filed paperwork last March to show that the kids live with him in order to obtain base housing in Georgia this summer. The divorce decree is very clear that Kelsey has primary custody, but somehow, he got both kids' domestic arrangements and medical paperwork information changed in the system to reflect them living at his Georgia on-base address, where he was not even entitled to live.

He also apparently threw in some gratuitous annoyance by changing all of Kelsey's addresses in that same system back to the Kansas base that she left nearly nine months ago. She reported it all to her first sergeant, who will deal with it at command level, and she is going to have to wade through the horrible mess of trying to get the Army systems (that don't always talk to each other) to understand both where she lives and that the kids live with her, not with him.

He might have finally overreached himself by defrauding the government and falsifying government documents, but he's a slippery little son-of-a-gun and may figure out a way to weasel out of it. Having him thrown out of the Army, or in jail, wouldn't be to the kids' benefit, but I'm hoping they at LEAST level a fine and a reduction in rank for obtaining benefits he wasn't entitled to, like base housing. She's already after him for more than $3,000 he owes for his share of childcare as well. The Army takes his child support payments out of his check automatically, but the childcare obligation is variable, so can't be done that way.

The cool mornings really are such an amazing thing, especially after 105 degree afternoons like yesterday. Means fall is coming, one of my two favorite seasons, and that summer is nearly over. Hope everyone's doing well... glad we've all made it to September.

Much love from the cool, serene and green River Valley of Arkansas,
    Lisa

Here's mine waiting patiently
    fafceythovmf.jpg
    I will get to the floors this afternoon after my eye meds wear off from my yearly appointment.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Lisa- I guess I spoke too soon about not having raccoons around right now. Last night I woke up to two of them fighting over the cat food in the back yard that I put out for Jack(feral cat that has lived in our back yard for years). DH said he watched on the camera and three were in the front yard. I went out this morning and had to replant one pot of carnations that they had dumped over and tore up. Cat food dishes in the front and side by the garage were all empty and a mess. They had fun last night.

(EDIT-he looked at the camera again and there were 4)

Back to pulling most of the food in the evenings but need to leave enough for the cats that come here to eat at night. Jack got me out of bed at 1:30, crying by the bedroom window(where the catio is attached, wanting food so I went out and gave him some food.

woke up earlier than I wanted and once the cats see me awake, they want to eat, so fed them.
    Pulled out everything to make pork katsu.(breaded, tenderized pork chops-using panko for the breading) Got boneless pork chops marked down at Walmart yesterday. Pulled out my big meat tenderizer machine- LOVE that thing-best $20 I spent at a garage sale years ago.-just drop in the meat at the top, turn the handle and it has little knives that tenderize the meat. Run it through a few times to make sure it is really tenderized. Great for steak for chicken fried steak, or for chicken and pork.
    Marinating for a few hours then will fry them. Have rice already made, broccoli steamed so just need to put together a salad to go with mine(I skip the rice but dh has to have rice)

Weather is a bit cooler today. High of just 71.
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Had a good clear out of my spice collection today and got my pull-out spice drawer in order. It was full of little empty bottles, which I never use these days, because I always order in bigger quantities. We've washed them out, and they may come in useful. :o If not, I will bin them. I'm using jam jars for spices and herbs to hand, and spare packets are in the utility room.
    Next job is the dry goods drawer in the utility room. I've just thrown out two packets of soup bean mix which DH bought and I know I will never use. It just needs rationalising into sections.
    All the decluttering coming along nicely! :D
    Very grateful to Clutterbug.

Decent article here on fitness and diet. Always good to remind ourselves of the importance of strength training as we get older.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/sep/01/do-you-really-need-to-walk-10000-steps-a-day-and-17-other-fitness-rules-tackled-by-the-experts

Chorizo sausages and lentils for dinner. Broccoli. Friday night is wine night.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

My spice "drawer".🙃
    een5tr7jpex9.jpg
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies -

Debbie - sounds like you had a wonderful walk, great to hear about birds returning. Do you run into many other people when you are walking? Do you ever fear for your safety? I picked up a cannister of pepper spray at the hardware store last week, should work good on dogs or people. I don't walk anywhere isolated, but during early morning there aren't many other folks around. DH would worry and told me to vary the times and my route a little so no one gets used to my habits.

Make it a fabulous day <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

There are usually other people around in the distance. It is a bit odd walking in some areas where I can see a long distance around me and not see anyone. I just make sure I am super aware. Most of the walk is out in the open. There is one spot that is more isolated that used to bother me but not anymore.
    There is one trail that I walked once but was way too isolated at the end of the loop. I thought it was just me but then I talked to two different friends and they said they felt the same way about the same spot(before I even mentioned it)
    Everyone is very friendly, many walk their dogs there. Yesterday I saw Macy, a little dog in a doggy wheelchair- super nice guy owns her. Second time seeing her.
    Most are on leash but a few aren't but I haven't had a problem with any of them or the people.
    I used to do the same route over there(not a lot of options but a few different ones) when I was doing it four days a week. Now I am just doing that 2 days a week. I was walking the neighborhood a lot but haven't the past few weeks- been lazy-need to start up again. With that, I change it up every day, so I don't get bored but also to vary it for safety reasons
  • Whidislander
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) There is a great series on Netflix about people who live to be 100 in the blue zones and how they live their lives. There are some great lessons for us all and great people and great scenery. Put "blue zone" in the search and you'll find it.

:) Jake talked to a woman on staff at the humane society and found out more about Bodhi's history. He is only seven months old and was found with a brother and sister where they had been abandoned in a dumpster behind a grocery store in Northern California. The sister was adopted in California and the brother was adopted earlier in the day that we got Bodhi only shortly after they arrived in a van from California with a dozen other dogs. No wonder he is so fearful and puppyish. We have an appointment on Wednesday to adopt him. It will take awhile but this is the month for us to learn more about patience. He has learned so much already. Bessie and he are bonding.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Yes its interesting the blue zones and where they are. I have read the book about the Okinawan mindset. Its quite admirable!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Hola friends
    Enjoyed the day but cant stay in the sun to long ,rozx5yao7sdj.jpg
    My favorite bartender made me a peach daiquiri
    Boy am I gonna miss this,but I had fun for a week and back to reality tomorrow 😪

Not bad, around 300 calories