WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    US199, one of the 3 routes into our remote rural area, has been closed since Aug 22 due to the Smith River complex of wild fires. It reopened Friday for commercial traffic only (so our Amazon shipments could get through ;>). This evening at 6pm it was reopened for public travel. This is huge as the detour (US101 N through Bandon) added 4 hours to any trip to or from US5 to the coast. Thank you firefighters and highway construction teams. There is still an area of one-way/piloted travel due to road conditions including burned out guardrails. Crescent City, Smith River, Ft. Dick, Hiouchi and Gasquet are still being powered by generator, repairing the transmission lines will take longer. Just thankful that I’ve heard of no loss of life.
    Rori hope none of your friends impacted by the Maui wildfire disaster.
    Cindy 4 lbs? well done!
    Carol that is why I haven’t bought another Jeep. At not quite 4’11 with wonky knees getting up into my friiend’s Wrangler is funny to watch.
    Debbie could they be sandpipers? https://www.onthewingphotography.com/wings/2019/07/24/tiny-spotted-sandpiper-chicks-learning-about-their-world/
    Ginny wild flamingos in Ohio? Wow!
    Kim hope that cat comes in and becomes an indoor only cat. ;}
    Yesterday’s (9/2) gratitude: rain freshened morning air, Roomba battery finally charged, US 199 opened to public travel 6pm.
    09/2: Move: 2 sets PT w/XnA, dog goup, Jeopardy walking. Steps:7686
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=35 CI<CO net=468
    Live: rX, Joe, readings, BP, AD, ptT, ptS, transplant skeleton mix and winter white violas. Wt:130.3
    Time for second sleep.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    September: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live mindfully with people, dogs, open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,037 Member
    Options
    Sunday --

Another bicycle ride plus quite a bit of time in the garden. :)

rpxv1yl3r55d.png

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Doing well so far! Exercise and PT done. Set off another carpet moth bomb. Washed two bath mats and a large towel. Started cleaning the cupboard under the sink. Poured boiling vinegar water over the weeds around the front garden manhole. (No pesticides) That had the advantage of descaling the kettle! :D Had another scrub at DH's shower. Mould nearly gone. I also cleaned his tooth mug. Made carrotte rapée for lunch with cauliflower rice, avocado and more salad. Bit of smoked chicken maybe? Popped out to the shops to get milk and kefir.
    Now lying down and listening to 'The Archers'. Might try seeing if G wants to chat today.

While I was doing all this I watched The Blue Zones. Singapore sounds much like Brighton and Hove. Apparently we are the second healthiest place in the UK! :o:D

Later I will finish the cupboard under the sink. It's pretty grimy. While watching Clutterbug.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,458 Member
    Options
    From the lovely, cool, pre-dawn quiet of a Sunday morning in Arkansas,

Barbara AHMOD - I forgot to mention I loved the picture of Joe and was it Tumble? He looked so comfy.

Heather - The dinner sounds lovely - especially the prawn cocktail.

Allie - Glad you made it home OK, hope you feel better soon, dear heart.

Annie - Was going to suggest you read while you're on the stationary bike, as well. I know Barbie even knits while she's pedaling. I'm not sure I'm that coordinated, but I have been known to turn on a podcast while I'm on the elliptical.

Kylia -
    Sounds like a lovely, relaxing vacation ahead. Hope it's wonderful!

We've got almost every window open this morning, just a few fans going to circulate air, and it's wonderful. When Corey's home, we can open all the windows, as I can only reach certain ones without a ladder and a workout, so there's a lovely breeze moving through the house this morning. When it gets too warm about 10 or 11 a.m., we'll close them again and turn on the A/C, but it's so nice not to have the house shut up 24/7 for a while.

Saves a chunk on our electric bill, too, of course. Like you, Debbie, I'm a light-turner-outer, but unlike you, I've usually left them on in my absent-mindedness! :smiley:

In another few weeks, I'll be able to take down the blackout curtains and let the light in all day again. I don't usually have curtains up at all, just a few windows with privacy film, but keeping the sun out in summer keeps the rooms up to 20 degrees cooler and helps the A/C work a lot less. Everything changes as the day goes on. Yesterday, I was wearing a hoodie to put the laundry out on the line in the early morning, and sweating in just a T-shirt when I brought it in later.

Ack! Started writing here about the latest things I'm reading and watching, and why I make those choices, and it ended up as 650 words, so I posted it over on Medium, instead. Glad to be writing, it centers me.

I have scribbled for so long, though, that the sun's come up!. Time to get outside and get some work done, now that Corey fixed my little chainsaw lopper. We picked up new chains for his big chainsaw, too, and he went out yesterday while it was about a hundred degrees outside and got a whole lot of downed wood cleaned up and then cut some more down. He's sleeping in this morning, which makes me happy. I'll see if I can't rope some of those big pieces and drag them to the burn pit with my little riding lawn mower.

Gotta get moving!
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Goulash is in the IP.
    This is the sweet little bag that came yesterday. <3
    dvpbqzrk5m1g.jpg

I'm worn-out now with cleaning and cooking. Tired but happy.
    Chatted to G. :D

Now for a nap.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I brought bags that look like that back from Hungary MANY years ago. Seeing it brought back great memories. Thanks!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Kim-when my cats went out (they have stopped as they have gotten older) I had told friends watching them that if they got out and didn't come back to check the next day-I didn't expect them to stay all day waiting. Shoot-sometimes they would be out 3 days at a time wandering while I was here.

Barbara AHMOD-so good to hear roads are opening back up. I hope we are soon done with fires for this year. Hopefully this winter the weather will tone down all over the country-but it is hard to predict.

Kylia-enjoy your time in the mountains-get some rest! I do agree though, since I am doing work at home this weekend-being able to adjust the time, wear pjs, makes it easier! And with time I am out of office this week I have to get stuff done sometime!

Pip-I agree with you when something is sold.

So you all talking about decluttering have me working on that-really excited about one area I cleared up so walk way is completely clear. Now with your talk about Blue Zones I am Turing it on today for while I am ironing and doing some other sit down tasks.

Enjoy the day.

Ginny in Ohio
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,904 Member
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate patience.

Meditation: daily. 2/30 0(82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)
    Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,6745,7029,6938,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 182/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 1/22 (681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 32/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time.
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’..
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low.
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly.
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,904 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    These other pictures are from yesterday. First one is a bit blurry- tried to zoom in- wish I could figure out what they are, they are very tiny and tons of them. The size of baby chicks
    k4y2n55ig9ao.png

They're almost the colouring of Plovers, but the Plovers here are fairly large (although their chicks are hatching right now and the little fuzzballs are small).

ci13r4h8zj6t.png
    bcokzx20adi1.png
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157623280801300

Or Oyster Catchers, but again, Oyster Catchers are about the same size as Plovers.
    sx46mvjbsqm5.png
    https://www.discoverwildlife.com/animal-facts/birds/facts-about-oystercatchers/

Machka in Oz

there are four types of birds that hang out together- killdeer are one- I know that one for sure. Stilts(just learned that one after looking it up when I saw babies a few months ago- super cute)
    None of the ones here are that bright orange

We have Avocets that look similar to these.
    cua52cxyw36n.jpeg

RVRita
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,997 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    US199, one of the 3 routes into our remote rural area, has been closed since Aug 22 due to the Smith River complex of wild fires. It reopened Friday for commercial traffic only (so our Amazon shipments could get through ;>). This evening at 6pm it was reopened for public travel. This is huge as the detour (US101 N through Bandon) added 4 hours to any trip to or from US5 to the coast. Thank you firefighters and highway construction teams. There is still an area of one-way/piloted travel due to road conditions including burned out guardrails. Crescent City, Smith River, Ft. Dick, Hiouchi and Gasquet are still being powered by generator, repairing the transmission lines will take longer. Just thankful that I’ve heard of no loss of life.
    Rori hope none of your friends impacted by the Maui wildfire disaster.
    Cindy 4 lbs? well done!
    Carol that is why I haven’t bought another Jeep. At not quite 4’11 with wonky knees getting up into my friiend’s Wrangler is funny to watch.
    Debbie could they be sandpipers? https://www.onthewingphotography.com/wings/2019/07/24/tiny-spotted-sandpiper-chicks-learning-about-their-world/
    Ginny wild flamingos in Ohio? Wow!
    Kim hope that cat comes in and becomes an indoor only cat. ;}
    Yesterday’s (9/2) gratitude: rain freshened morning air, Roomba battery finally charged, US 199 opened to public travel 6pm.
    09/2: Move: 2 sets PT w/XnA, dog goup, Jeopardy walking. Steps:7686
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=35 CI<CO net=468
    Live: rX, Joe, readings, BP, AD, ptT, ptS, transplant skeleton mix and winter white violas. Wt:130.3
    Time for second sleep.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    September: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live mindfully with people, dogs, open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.

They have chosen this long weekend(plus two days,) to close one of the major bridges in our area. They closed it Thursday and will open on Tuesday, for road work. Traffic has been terrible through town with people trying to find different routes. The Carquenez bridge is the main one from here towards SF. Everyone has to go over the Benicia bridge and then back on Hwy 4. So glad we didn't have to go down that way.

They might be sand pipers but not sure. They are that size when they are full grown, as much as I can tell, maybe a bit larger. So cute, what ever they are. I am going to stop one of the bird watchers next time I see them and ask them. Many out there with their binoculers(I need to bring a pair but usually don't take time to really stop and watch them, except my swans and humming birds that I can see up close.

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,997 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    These other pictures are from yesterday. First one is a bit blurry- tried to zoom in- wish I could figure out what they are, they are very tiny and tons of them. The size of baby chicks
    k4y2n55ig9ao.png

They're almost the colouring of Plovers, but the Plovers here are fairly large (although their chicks are hatching right now and the little fuzzballs are small).

ci13r4h8zj6t.png
    bcokzx20adi1.png
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157623280801300

Or Oyster Catchers, but again, Oyster Catchers are about the same size as Plovers.
    sx46mvjbsqm5.png
    https://www.discoverwildlife.com/animal-facts/birds/facts-about-oystercatchers/

Machka in Oz

there are four types of birds that hang out together- killdeer are one- I know that one for sure. Stilts(just learned that one after looking it up when I saw babies a few months ago- super cute)
    None of the ones here are that bright orange

We have Avocets that look similar to these.
    cua52cxyw36n.jpeg

RVRita
    I have seen them there too. There are so many different birds out and they are just coming back after being gone all summer. Looking forward to seeing them again. I will take one of the good cameras and get better pictures so I can really see them.