The last 10 pounds challenge (closed group)

Options

Replies

• Brooklyn85
    Options
    Just checking in for last week. Weight is the same. I was really sick with major chest congestion and taking antibiotics so I didn't work out at all. I managed to stay within my calorie range luckily. I'm mostly better now so I'm going to try to get in at least 4 workouts this week, probably starting tomorrow. Not the best timing for me to try to have a perfect week, but I'll settle for pretty good. =)

Good luck to everyone this week!
  • jalysons
    jalysons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    can someone point me to the perfect week goals. i missed them. I looked back but missed the post again. As we are halfway through monday its looking tough for me :)

weight same as last week. surprise, huh
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Here it is, Jenn, I sent it in a message too :smile:

Together we came up with the following definition ---
    In order to be perfect: you must drink 8 or more glasses of water per day, your calories cannot be more than 100 over or under your goal, you must exercise at least 4 days (2 of those days should have some sort of strength activity).

It won't count against you, but try to stay under your carb and fat goals. Also try your best to reach or exceed protein and fiber goals.

In the meantime, think about where you want your calorie level to be (keeping in mind whether or not you want to eat back your exercise calories). Everyone's body responds different, so I think we can all have our own calorie goal BUT you must pre-define your goal. Be realistic --- we want to succeed next week. What's your plan?
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks, k <3

You're always super supportive.

I feel like the Perfect Week has made me look more closely at my macros, and rethinking my snacks. I've recently discovered the absolutely amazingness that is goat gouda. It's rumored that Trader Joe's makes a HONEY goat gouda, so I'm making a pilgrimage there on Saturday, haha.

When I need more protein, I usually do a low-fat cheese, but what do you ladies snack on? Any suggestions for high protein? I'm not really concerned about my fat macro, but am trying to be a LOT more conscious about carbs. I can't eat hard-boiled eggs, though those would be perfect. The idea of them makes me want to vom. :(

I guess nuts are an option, too.
  • kblue2007
    Options
    . I can't eat hard-boiled eggs, though those would be perfect. The idea of them makes me want to vom. :(

Seriously my first thought was hard boiled eggs, hahaha!!!! :laugh:
    Nuts are good, greek yogurt is amazingly high in protein.....otherwise my go to snacks are string cheese and, yup you guessed it eggs :wink:

Oh just thought of hummus...with some carrots or cucumbers???
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Protein...greek yogurt, beans, chicken breast (cook in a sauce pan with picante sauce & yum w/o added calories!), and (my new fav cereal) Kashi Go Lean Crunch - it has extra fiber too.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Feel free to look at my diary - I usually knock out MFP's protein recommendation by lunch.
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    Fabulous suggestions!

k: my fiance eats hummus like an absolutely FIEND. I'm sure I can get him to share.

crazytx: I didn't even think of Kashi Go Lean-- I used to eat Kashi stuff a LOT, but I haven't in a while. And I never think about snacking on things like chicken! Brilliant! I think I need to reevaluate what I think of as "meal" foods and "snack" foods, too.

Thanks, ladies! <3
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Last day of our perfect week challenge! How did you do???

Tomorrow -- please weigh in and report back on your week. Also don't forget that it is the first Sunday of the month so measurements are due too!

Separately, any requests for the last month of our challenge? Do you like the points system? Should we keep doing that? Do you like the challenges? Anything else that we should add? If nothing else, I love knowing that there is one place where I can find all of you -- my wonderful support! Thanks for that!
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    I'm using our guidelines this morning to decide what to do, and strength it is! I actually got 3 lb. weights last weekend to help me actually do all of the reps I intend-- with the 5s, sometimes I can't get my form right because they're heavy for some exercises (like chest flies--oww).

I feel pretty good except for the salt overload on Thursday, but the scale will tell. I'm near TOM, too. Booo.
  • vsetter
    Options
    I'm using our guidelines this morning to decide what to do, and strength it is! I actually got 3 lb. weights last weekend to help me actually do all of the reps I intend-- with the 5s, sometimes I can't get my form right because they're heavy for some exercises (like chest flies--oww).

I feel pretty good except for the salt overload on Thursday, but the scale will tell. I'm near TOM, too. Booo.

I agree with you. I have to do some cardio tonight to get in my 4 exercise days. I'm really tired and would like to sleep, but I am going to push through it......just so I can say I had one perfect week.
  • vsetter
    Options
    Well....I must admit that I am a tad disappointed. During this week, which was perfect by our definition, I only lost 0.25 pound. I would have dropped that much without trying. And...it is at the high end of my plateau range, which makes me grumpy too.

So then I thought that I should check my measurements and what did I find???? NOTHING!!!! No change at all (maybe a half inch....maybe....on my thigh).

So then I thought that I would get on my stupid electronic scale that shows body fat percentage. I had to have gone down. Well...that was worse. It actually showed a huge increase, which I don't think is correct, but still.

So I am really discouraged. A full month with absolutely no change at all. I don't know what to do. Maybe I should just be happy at 127 and be done....stop worrying about this weight loss stuff and the last 10 pounds.

One more month.....we'll see what happens.
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    V- sorry you're disappointed. :( I'm getting whiplash from fluctuation, too. BUT...congrats on a truly perfect week! And for exercising last night even though you were tired. <3

I actually loved this challenge because I think it really made me focus on my macros, and I don't think I went over carbs (if so, not by much). And I don't really care about how much I go over in fat, so this was generally a success in my book.

I'm down to 136 again, but next week will be TOM, so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for that disappointment, too.

Sunday: Zumba and Yoga ("interval" style with Vinyasa flow)
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Circuit Training (30DS)
    Wednesday: Zumba
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Circuit Training (RI30, levels 3 and 4, back to back)
    Saturday: Circuit Training (No More Trouble Zones)

In terms of inches:

Waist: 27.5 (down .5)
    Hips: 34 (same)
    Lower "abs": 34 (down .5)
    Right bicep: 11
    Left Bicep: 11
    Right thigh: 19.5 (down .5)
    Left thigh: 19 (down 1)

Measurements are from the beginning, since last month they didn't really change.

So...I'm also kind of sad that this is the last month. I'd be happy to log through the rest of the year (at least). :(
  • kblue2007
    Options
    I swear since we are down to the last couple of pounds our bodies don't wanna give anything more up. Maybe our bodies are just happy where they are???? Maybe its just us and our want to have the scale say a certain thing that we are ignoring that our bodies are happy??? I have to admit even though the scale has fluctuated so much over the last couple of months, I feel healthier and better about how my body looks....oh my god I can't believe I just said that, haha......this tread has helped me push myself and I honestly hope that after this challenge is over that we continue to meet here and help each other.

So last night at the wedding KILLED my perfect week. I do not deserve any friggin points, I was horrible last night HORRIBLE.....food was fine, but open bar was the death of me!!!!

I am not loggin anything today either....I have a pizza in the oven and already munched on some bbq kettle chips. I am also close to TOM, so today is my true over board day...with food ;)

weight stayed the same this week 129.2

Sunday-rest
    Monday-cardio
    Tuesday-circuits, cardio and strength
    Wednesday-strength
    Thursday-circuit training and strength
    Friday-cardio and strength
    Saturday-circuits, cardio and strength

I had a great workout week, despite my busted ankle...yes still busted, better though. I haven't burned as many calories as I usually do but seriously the strength and circuits have made my body tighter!!!!

waist, hips, bust and lower abs same measurements. Legs are down to 19 3/4, woot!!! and my arms are down to 10 1/2. So my legs are trimming up but my butt apparently doesn't wanna go down!!!

Ladies, I think we should be happy for ourselves, we only WANT to lose a few more pounds....we are all in better shape then most people, so maybe we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves???!!!!! Easier said then done, I know, but you are all gorgeous and healthy and work so hard to make yourselves better....:heart::heart: :heart:
  • vsetter
    Options
    I'm right there with you Kate. Today is pizza, pop and football!
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I know I've been silent for the last couple of weeks (sorry) ~ stuff going on lately and no big desire to log, no desire to curb my eating, no desire to hop on the scale, no desire to take my measurement (Ugh - I can't even imagine!). So needless to say my "perfect" week was quite the opposite!

This 44th birthday has been a tad bit bittersweet for me. Found out that I am in the beginning stages of menopause - haven't had a period in over 2 months (which has been awesome!) ~ BUT the fact that I'll never experience having a child of my own, has been a lot to process, mentally. So, I've been eating emotionally and have lost all motivation lately.

Enough is enough though!!! 2 weeks of self-pity is more than enough & I'm now ready AND willing to begin anew!! I've just come off a wonderful weekend with a few great, hilarious friends and I'm refreshed and recharged & ready to go tomorrow!! Whoo hoo!!

P.S. I'm relieved for you Val ~ glad your ultrasound came back "ok" and I pray that your skin biopsy comes back benign. I've had many-a-skin-sample taken - all benign but for one on my face (and that one didn't look any different that one that was a-ok). I now get checked every 6 months! One can NEVER be too careful when it comes to their health!!

Wishing you all much success this week! I'm back in the game!!!!
  • Brooklyn85
    Options
    Perfect week complete! To the bare minimum requirements, haha.
    4 workouts.
    3 strength, 1 cardio.
    Calories and water met everyday. I think I met protein once.

Weight is the same as last week. Measurements the same.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Okay...I'm back! What did I miss? Hope everyone nailed the challange.

I was unable... well let's say reluctant to do the challange because I had my roadtrip with my hubby down the cost. After a week of holidays and gorging myself on food (sometimes 2000+ calories a day which is ridiculous coming from someone who has been on 1200 cals for aaaaaaages. II definately felt it. My clothes felt tighter, I was bloated and generally felt unhealthy. Incredibly though, I was only 5Ib up the day I got back! It feels more like 10Ib! I'll let it settle this week before I log it. Pretty unbelievable considering how much, and what I was consuming. It just goes to show that a splurge here and there isn't the end of the world.

I managed to get 2 snowboarding days in and 2 days a the gym which was my challange for myself on the trip. So a big YAY for that.

Now back to reality. Time to get rid of this bloated yuk feeling!
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    OK - I'm late, which has been happening a lot lately.

I'm down another 2 lbs which puts me 1 lb less than my original goal. And...I bought my very first size small shirt on Saturday, on clearance even. I've decided to switch to maintainence mode for a couple of months and focus more on building muscle. I'll decide after Thanksgiving how much more I'd like to lose.

My perfect week was OK. I did meet calories, protein & water everyday (I changed my calories to maintainence on Sunday so it now looks like I was short everyday). I did not get my tail out of bed for my work out once all week, not once. I did log cardio Fri & Sat - but even with big burns, my bike rides really don't feel like they qualify. Too much fun to be work. I did do some squats & pushups throughout the week, but nothing significant.

Here are my measurement changes this month:

hips - lost 1/2"
    waist - lost 1"
    bust - no change
    thigh - lost 1/2"
    calf - lost 1/4"
    bicep - lost 1/2"

I'll take it.

Have a great week ladies!
  • vsetter
    Options
    Woohoo --- what a week it was! And it so good to hear from everyone!

Kristin -- I'm glad to see you back! You're back in the game and will be awesome!

Cathie -- You ROCK!!!!! According to my chart, you have lost 12 pounds and 6 inches since we started this challenge! Congratulations for reaching (exceeding) your goal!!!! I hope that you still hang out with us here.....even if you are on maintenance calories. We can help you stick to your new goals!

*****CONGRATS******
    Brooklyn, cheshirechic, and I all finished last week PERFECT!!!!!

I'm glad to hear that you were motivated by the perfect week challenge --- I know that I really had to push myself.

OK Ladies.....we are down to the last month. Let's get back to business. Any suggestions for a new challenge???

I will post the updated charts after this weigh-in. Some are taking measurements then.

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Vsetter.... (and everyone else!) What do you think about introducing a refeed day? Scary...but I've been reading up on them since getting back from my holiday. Many of us have been on restricted calories for quite some time. After eating myself stupid for a whole week and then 3 days later being back to my normal weight it has given me food for thought towards refeeds :laugh: