Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Atkins is terrible...horrible...youre all going to die probably.....(just sayin).....:P

Eventually, we're all going to die, Mr(or Ms) Troll. So, move along.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Atkins is terrible...horrible...youre all going to die probably.....(just sayin).....:P

It IS horrible. All of us here are losing weight, getting better lipid profiles, and aren't hungry all the time.

It's terrible... just terrible.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Glad this group is here. I'll be starting induction today!!
  • HeartLunger
    Options

You're going to love it! Once you've made it past the second day expect to not have cravings, despise sweets (at least for me), and to generally not be hungry. Also, expect an increase in energy and a decrease in that terrible bloated feeling, not to mention after a week to be down a significant amount of weight!
  • pork_belly
    Options

You're going to love it! Once you've made it past the second day expect to not have cravings, despise sweets (at least for me), and to generally not be hungry. Also, expect an increase in energy and a decrease in that terrible bloated feeling, not to mention after a week to be down a significant amount of weight!

Not only will you love and lose weight but your blood work should also improve!!!! The best part of is you don't have to starve!!!!!
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just remember something funny I wanted to share.

Went out shopping with my mum and sister yesterday, and we had just had lunch and were walking while talking about the Atkins diet, and what I can and can't eat. My sister claims to have tried it before but just never losing any weight on it, she had concluded that maybe it just suits some people more than others, and that she was one of the people who had to count calories to lose weight.

A while later she sparks up saying she fancies having some chocolate, and I said, well that out of the question for me, what with chocolate being made up of Milk and Sugar, both not allowed.

Later on she said to me quite seriously, "Are you really not allowed sugar on Atkins". me "yes". Her "oh, I guess that why I didn't lose any weight, I was eating sweets to keep my energy levels up"

READ THE BOOK!!! hahaha still laughing.

This made me laugh so much.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I'll have a few square of the Ghirardelli 86% dark chocolate for a chocolate fix. Half of the bar is 15g carbs/5g sugar. It may be too bitter for some, but I like it that way. May not be good for people on induction.

Edit: I've also noticed a lot of people who say low-carb doesn't work for them, either weren't doing it right, did it for a short period of time or complained that when they stopped doing it they gained all the weight back. SMH
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Went out shopping with my mum and sister yesterday, and we had just had lunch and were walking while talking about the Atkins diet, and what I can and can't eat. My sister claims to have tried it before but just never losing any weight on it, she had concluded that maybe it just suits some people more than others, and that she was one of the people who had to count calories to lose weight.

A while later she sparks up saying she fancies having some chocolate, and I said, well that out of the question for me, what with chocolate being made up of Milk and Sugar, both not allowed.

Later on she said to me quite seriously, "Are you really not allowed sugar on Atkins". me "yes". Her "oh, I guess that why I didn't lose any weight, I was eating sweets to keep my energy levels up"

That is funny, but so indicative of why Atkins has a bad rep; people who think they are "doing it" really aren't so they tell everyone it doesn't work.

I am not a huge chocolate fan but there are some pretty good sugar free chocolates out there. I'll occasionally have a square or two when the craving hits.

As far as lunch ideas, I do leftovers a lot, as well. I also eat a lot of chicken breast. I'll often buy a Costco rotisserie chicken or my husband makes a beer can chicken on the grill. I use the dark meat my husband and son don't eat (I don't particularly like it) to make soup, stir fry or something similar. Otherwise, I'll use a breast that I've cooked in the microwave sprinkled with garlic and onion powder and slice it up. That's the easiest way to make a chicken breast and it always turns out juicy.

Flat Out wraps or low carb tortillas are great for making sandwich wraps with the above chicken breast or deli meats, a slice of cheese, some romaine and a little tomato. You can also spread them with egg, tuna or chicken salad, lay some romaine leaves on top and roll it up. I also eat E/T/C salad with celery sticks to scoop it.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Good story but unfortunately not that unusual. Maybe your sister will come back around to low carb when she sees how well you do on it? I've been on it close to 8 months and I can't imagine eating any other way now.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options

Yeah, I've done induction many times throughout the years, and although I do realize the benefits, I keep straying. I look forward to feeling great again!!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Good story but unfortunately not that unusual. Maybe your sister will come back around to low carb when she sees how well you do on it? I've been on it close to 8 months and I can't imagine eating any other way now.

That is funny! My sister and I had a similar conversation, except my sister flat out won't try Atkins. She said she can NOT under any terms give up her pizza for a load of vegetables! Well, honey, that calorie counting thing isn't going so well, but you go right ahead....
  • LowCarbForLife
    Options

That is funny! My sister and I had a similar conversation, except my sister flat out won't try Atkins. She said she can NOT under any terms give up her pizza for a load of vegetables! Well, honey, that calorie counting thing isn't going so well, but you go right ahead....

I didn't give up Pizza, I just found a way to make a low carb version. I didn't create this recipe but I did modify it a bit to my taste:

DEEP DISH PIZZA QUICHE

4 oz softened cream cheese
    4 eggs
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
    1/2 tsp Italian or pizza seasoning
    2 cups shredded cheese (I use mozzarella)
    2-6 large cloves garlic (I LOVE garlic so I use at least 6 with some as a topping and some in the base but use as much or as little as you like)
    1/2 cup lowest carb tomato or pizza sauce
    1 can Rotel hot (drained) this is my own addition because I like things spicier but the original recipe did not have this
    1 cup mozzarella cheese
    Toppings to taste (I typically only add garlic but you can use pepperoni, sausage, bacon, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, whatever!)

Preheat oven to 375.
    Beat together cream cheese and eggs till smooth (I use a blender).
    Add cream, Parmesan cheese and spices.
    Spray 13x9 baking dish with PAM.
    Put 2 cups of shredded cheese in dish and pour egg mixture over.
    Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until light brown on top.
    Remove from oven.
    Spread with sauce and then add your toppings.
    Cover with mozzarella cheese.
    Bake till browning and bubbly (or however you like yours)
    Let stand for 5 minutes or so.

I like to have mine with a salad. This freezes well also. I think it's just as easy to make two, then bag and freeze individual portions to throw into my lunchbox. I microwave them for about 1 minute and they are great grab-and-go meals at any time of day.

ENJOY!

Here's the original so credit can accrue to the chef: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087&highlight=pizza+quiche
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up Pizza, I just found a way to make a low carb version. I didn't create this recipe but I did modify it a bit to my taste:
    I've just been using a low carb wrap or tortilla. I spray the wrap with some olive oil and broil for a few minutes to crisp it up. Spread on some pasta sauce, a lot of cheese and toppings and broil for awhile longer. Tasty!
  • LowCarbForLife
    Options
    I've just been using a low carb wrap or tortilla. I spray the wrap with some olive oil and broil for a few minutes to crisp it up. Spread on some pasta sauce, a lot of cheese and toppings and broil for awhile longer. Tasty!

Sounds interesting but I'm currently experimenting with completely cutting out grains so I'll have to try that option later.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I hope I will lose some weight on friday or at least I won't gain weight. I've been eat lots of fat - bacons & pork rinds and cheese.
    I'm in keto stage according to keto strip.

I found this website- they have recipes for pizza using cream cheese or cauliflouer - her recipe was on dr oz show.
    Also has doritos (my fav).
    http://blog.yourlighterside.com/p/eats-recipes.html
  • kittrelle
    Options
    I hope I will lose some weight on friday or at least I won't gain weight. I've been eat lots of fat - bacons & pork rinds and cheese.
    I'm in keto stage according to keto strip.

I found this website- they have recipes for pizza using cream cheese or cauliflouer - her recipe was on dr oz show.
    Also has doritos (my fav).
    http://blog.yourlighterside.com/p/eats-recipes.html
    I've repeatedly made the low carb cauliflower pizza crust with pepperoni, red onion and mushroom and it's TO DIE FOR. If you have not tried it. Do. It. Now. My kids don't even want regular pizza anymore- they love the cauliflower version. I've also fallen in love with making pizza inside a portabello mushroom. DELISH! and filling. So say NO to giving up pizza!!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ok how about this pizza?

G9I77l.jpg

The crust? Is 2 ingredients Cheese and Eggs only (plus seasoning)

I only had hamburger meat at the time so I couldn't make my favorite pepperoni pizza but this was still very good.

Recipe came from Linda's Low carb website

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/cheese_crust_pizza.html

So many possibilities.
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Smoked chicken wings for lunch today.
  • KMDM
    KMDM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    May I join your group?

I am Type2 diabetes and am in maintenance mode for the last 9 months. My weight is no lnger an issue, but staying on track is challenging. I read the thread of posts of this group and see a real benefit that you guys provide one another. I think I can contribute as well as get motivation from these posts.

When I got my T2 diagnosis I needed to lose 30 pounds and get my lipids down in order to stay off meds. It took me only 6 months thanks to Atkins to reach that goal. I currently use Atkins retail products to make sure I eat 5-7 mini meals a day and never feel hungry. I am also a fan of Gary Taube's books and lectures. In addition I got a lot a motivation from the book "Younger Next Year". I found that combining Atkins-style low carb ketosis and short duration intense exercise I can stay on track, except my weakness is boredom: culinary, workouts, etc. I can stray away from my plan when I get tired of it. I think your posts will help me with this.

My only complaint about MyFitnessPal is it set me up for 165 grams of carbs per day! To me that would send my weight right back up again (not to mention what it would do to my glucose). Is there any way you can change your profile in htis app to a lower carb limit?

Thanks for the opportunity to post.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have crust recipes for pizza made out of cauliflower and zucchini. They're on my website. The address is in my sig below :)

KMDM, Welcome! You can lower your MFP settings under The My Home tab, click on Goals.