Protein powder?

Options
I'm finding it really hard to reach my protein goal. I calculated that according to my weight I need 100g of protein a day but find it impossible to get beyond the 50s no matter how many eggs I eat! I don't eat meat or fish but I have plenty of dairy and legumes.
Should I add protein powder to my porridge? Which is the best to try? I'm thinking maybe pea protein?
I'd be grateful for your thoughts, thanks.
Sue

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,466 Member
    Options
    Are the database entries correct that you're using?

Some other ideas: Would lower fat but higher protein dairy an option, like skyr instead of green yogurt for example. Do you eat tofu, halloumi or paneer?
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    @lilylily wrote: »
    I'm finding it really hard to reach my protein goal. I calculated that according to my weight I need 100g of protein a day but find it impossible to get beyond the 50s no matter how many eggs I eat! I don't eat meat or fish but I have plenty of dairy and legumes.
    Should I add protein powder to my porridge? Which is the best to try? I'm thinking maybe pea protein?
    Sue

I ended up getting a high protein shake, Ensure (use the walmart Equate version). It gets me 30g protein and it is not causing my stomach to get tense when I have it early. I also use a powder protein, Orgain, but not for drinks. I can mix with yogurt and just a little water for a paste for my rice cakes.

• lilylily
    lilylily Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Are the database entries correct that you're using?
    I hope so - they're all MFP and I always scan the packets.

Some other ideas: Would lower fat but higher protein dairy an option, like skyr instead of green yogurt for example. Do you eat tofu, halloumi or paneer?
    Thanks. I don't much like skyr but could try it again. I eat tofu a couple of times a week, and halloumi occasionally. Have only had paneer in Indian restaurants but could try it at home.

Thanks for taking the time to help me
    Sue

• lilylily
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    @lilylily wrote: »
    Sue

I ended up getting a high protein shake, Ensure (use the walmart Equate version). It gets me 30g protein and it is not causing my stomach to get tense when I have it early. I also use a powder protein, Orgain, but not for drinks. I can mix with yogurt and just a little water for a paste for my rice cakes.

Thanks. I'm not one for shakes but will take a look. I'm in the UK but will find out about equivalents to the brands you suggested.

Appreciate your ideas

Thanks
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal using a “shake” with like 3-4 servings of PB2 and a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream Optimum Nutrition Whey shaken into about 8 oz of liquid as the water for my instant oatmeal.

The taste doesn’t require anything else since the vanilla powder kinda just ads some base sweetness and that’s like 40-50 grams of protein overall.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is fine. If you're fine with dairy, whey protein should work for you. I can't speak to the merits of plant protein powder in comparison, or their price.

My preference these days is to use a simple shaker bottle, cost less than $10 on Amazon, it's a steel ball in a cup. Some powder, some milk/water, shake it up for ten seconds, done. I used to use a hand blender with a large cup, and add maybe a banana, frozen fruit, etc., but it's more hassle.

I tried adding powder to hot oatmeal once. Total disaster. Maybe people can get it to work. I just have it separate now. I add protein powder to overnight oats though, and it works fine. Maybe it's just a matter of getting the right ratios of milk/water to oats/powder.
  • lilylily
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I make oatmeal using a “shake” with like 3-4 servings of PB2 and a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream Optimum Nutrition Whey shaken into about 8 oz of liquid as the water for my instant oatmeal.

The taste doesn’t require anything else since the vanilla powder kinda just ads some base sweetness and that’s like 40-50 grams of protein overall.

Thanks John. What is PB2 please?
  • lilylily
    Options
    Protein powder is fine. If you're fine with dairy, whey protein should work for you. I can't speak to the merits of plant protein powder in comparison, or their price.

My preference these days is to use a simple shaker bottle, cost less than $10 on Amazon, it's a steel ball in a cup. Some powder, some milk/water, shake it up for ten seconds, done. I used to use a hand blender with a large cup, and add maybe a banana, frozen fruit, etc., but it's more hassle.

I tried adding powder to hot oatmeal once. Total disaster. Maybe people can get it to work. I just have it separate now. I add protein powder to overnight oats though, and it works fine. Maybe it's just a matter of getting the right ratios of milk/water to oats/powder.

Thanks. You may well be right about the oatmeal disaster! Hadn't thought of that!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    https://pb2foods.com/

It’s essentially everything in a peanut but the fat. You can reconstitute it to make a paste, or add it into things. (I use the original formula)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,466 Member
    Options
    You could also look at quark if that's available where you are.

Despite using the scanner you need to check the nutritional information and compare it with the package. Most of the database is user sourced, and lots of information is simply wrong, outdated, from different countries. And sometimes you might get completely wrong products. Just as an example: I was scanning crisps (very high calorie) and got a piece of fruit as a result (very low calorie)
  • lilylily
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    https://pb2foods.com/

It’s essentially everything in a peanut but the fat. You can reconstitute it to make a paste, or add it into things. (I use the original formula)

Will check it out. Thanks
  • lilylily
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    You could also look at quark if that's available where you are.

Despite using the scanner you need to check the nutritional information and compare it with the package. Most of the database is user sourced, and lots of information is simply wrong, outdated, from different countries. And sometimes you might get completely wrong products. Just as an example: I was scanning crisps (very high calorie) and got a piece of fruit as a result (very low calorie)

Haven't had quark for years. Thanks will try it again. Re checking, oh dear that's a bit demoralising :(
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,194 Member
    Options
    I don't love skyr either, but I can tolerate it.
    I discovered the combo of fruit flavoured skyr and (hot) oatmeal mixed together, truly yummy to me!
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    If you like nuts/seeds—I use pumpkin seed protein powder. 20 grams protein. Just crushed seeds, no additives. I like that it adds iron for my needs as well.

Can be used in a bunch of recipes or coating to make foods crunchy. Versatile.
    Chicken cutlets with it - I find tasty.

For sweet recipes - I use chia as an protein/fiber add in. But chia absorbs liquid.. so I’d use in recipes where it can absorb liquid. (I’d read up on it a bit before using in recipe)

tc220v2ndmf3.jpeg
    9f0fsqoy903n.jpeg
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    lilylily wrote: »
    Sue

I can't help you with protein powder--here are some other high protein foods to keep supplementing.

:)

A couple of small things that may or may not help. I used to have a protein-heavy diet--but I find it's hard for me at this age to eat enough of it. Below are some protein foods that aren't meat.
    • CarbMaster Milk--lactose free. 11 Grams of Protein. Regular white milk or regular vanilla is 100 calories for 8 ounces. The Fat-free Vanilla is 60 calories for 8 ounces. The chocolate --which is good (this is my sweet treat) is 80 calories for 8 ounces/11 Grams of protein.
    • Beans--I love beans. If they are cooked correctly, they are great. I prefer pinto beans, but black beans are lower calorie. I like to cook them with some chopped jalapenos. Black beans ---a half of a cup is 8 grams of protein.
    • 1 cup of chopped broccoli is 2.5 grams of protein. Throw it in your soups. You can air fry it, grill it, or put it other meals. Chop it fine enough, you may not notice.
    • 1 cup of green peas---8 grams of protein. Not bad if you don't cook them to mush.
    • 1 cup of Spinach 4.5 Grams of protein.
    • 1 medium ear of sweet corn grilled-- 4 grams of protein.
    • 1 cup of asparagus-- 3 grams of protein
    • Oats 100 grams --13 grams of protein
    • Air-fried Tempeh. It comes from soybeans. However, 20 g protein Source per 100 grams.
    • 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes 7.6 grams of protein.
    • 1 cup of Avocado. 250 Grams-- 4.5 g of protein.
    • 2 Teaspoons of a Nut Butter on high -protein bread toast.
    • Brussel Sprouts 1 cup serving --3 grams of protein
    • Plain, low-fat Greek yogurt pack 3.5 Ounces is 8 grams of protein.
    • Bison, Beef, Salmon, Chicken, Turkey, Eggs, and more.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,502 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has linked this thread yet:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by most protein for fewest calories. It's mostly meaty/fishy near the top, but there are dairy and plant sources in there as one scrolls through. I found it helpful when I was first trying to get reasonable protein, even as a vegetarian.

I found I could get at least 80s-90s grams of protein on 1400-1600 base calories while losing, now aiming for a 100g daily minimum and usually hitting around 120g in maintenance. I don't think there's anything wrong with protein powder (or bars, etc.) but don't find it tasty or satisfying personally, so don't use it. I do use some peanut butter powder (like PB2, but a different brand, mostly in my oatmeal).

My main "big" protein sources are plain nonfat Greek yogurt, tempeh, tofu (in various forms), dry-roasted soybeans, cottage cheese, skim milk. Most days, I also eat some nuts/seeds (high in fats so calorie dense!), oats, peanut butter powder, often red lentil or chickpea pasta.

I try to get at least a little protein from many/most foods I eat - veggies, grains, fruits, bread, snacks, whatever. The little bits add up. Many of those sources are less complete (in essential amino acid terms) but eating a wide variety of them compensates somewhat for that.

There are some flavoring ingredients besides PB2 that can be helpful adjuncts in that small way, like miso, nutritional yeast.
  • lilylily
    Options
    If you like nuts/seeds—I use pumpkin seed protein powder. 20 grams protein. Just crushed seeds, no additives. I like that it adds iron for my needs as well.

Can be used in a bunch of recipes or coating to make foods crunchy. Versatile.
    Chicken cutlets with it - I find tasty.

For sweet recipes - I use chia as an protein/fiber add in. But chia absorbs liquid.. so I’d use in recipes where it can absorb liquid. (I’d read up on it a bit before using in recipe)

tc220v2ndmf3.jpeg
    9f0fsqoy903n.jpeg

Thanks, I love pumpkin seeds but didn't know they were used in ground form. Will check it out! Yes, chia can be tricky but I like that too.
  • lilylily
    Options
    loulee997 wrote: »
    lilylily wrote: »
    Sue

I can't help you with protein powder--here are some other high protein foods to keep supplementing.

:)

A couple of small things that may or may not help. I used to have a protein-heavy diet--but I find it's hard for me at this age to eat enough of it. Below are some protein foods that aren't meat.
    • CarbMaster Milk--lactose free. 11 Grams of Protein. Regular white milk or regular vanilla is 100 calories for 8 ounces. The Fat-free Vanilla is 60 calories for 8 ounces. The chocolate --which is good (this is my sweet treat) is 80 calories for 8 ounces/11 Grams of protein.
    • Beans--I love beans. If they are cooked correctly, they are great. I prefer pinto beans, but black beans are lower calorie. I like to cook them with some chopped jalapenos. Black beans ---a half of a cup is 8 grams of protein.
    • 1 cup of chopped broccoli is 2.5 grams of protein. Throw it in your soups. You can air fry it, grill it, or put it other meals. Chop it fine enough, you may not notice.
    • 1 cup of green peas---8 grams of protein. Not bad if you don't cook them to mush.
    • 1 cup of Spinach 4.5 Grams of protein.
    • 1 medium ear of sweet corn grilled-- 4 grams of protein.
    • 1 cup of asparagus-- 3 grams of protein
    • Oats 100 grams --13 grams of protein
    • Air-fried Tempeh. It comes from soybeans. However, 20 g protein Source per 100 grams.
    • 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes 7.6 grams of protein.
    • 1 cup of Avocado. 250 Grams-- 4.5 g of protein.
    • 2 Teaspoons of a Nut Butter on high -protein bread toast.
    • Brussel Sprouts 1 cup serving --3 grams of protein
    • Plain, low-fat Greek yogurt pack 3.5 Ounces is 8 grams of protein.
    • Bison, Beef, Salmon, Chicken, Turkey, Eggs, and more.

thanks, lots to think about here!
  • lilylily
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has linked this thread yet:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by most protein for fewest calories. It's mostly meaty/fishy near the top, but there are dairy and plant sources in there as one scrolls through. I found it helpful when I was first trying to get reasonable protein, even as a vegetarian.

I found I could get at least 80s-90s grams of protein on 1400-1600 base calories while losing, now aiming for a 100g daily minimum and usually hitting around 120g in maintenance. I don't think there's anything wrong with protein powder (or bars, etc.) but don't find it tasty or satisfying personally, so don't use it. I do use some peanut butter powder (like PB2, but a different brand, mostly in my oatmeal).

My main "big" protein sources are plain nonfat Greek yogurt, tempeh, tofu (in various forms), dry-roasted soybeans, cottage cheese, skim milk. Most days, I also eat some nuts/seeds (high in fats so calorie dense!), oats, peanut butter powder, often red lentil or chickpea pasta.

I try to get at least a little protein from many/most foods I eat - veggies, grains, fruits, bread, snacks, whatever. The little bits add up. Many of those sources are less complete (in essential amino acid terms) but eating a wide variety of them compensates somewhat for that.

There are some flavoring ingredients besides PB2 that can be helpful adjuncts in that small way, like miso, nutritional yeast.

Thanks, this is helpful. I've never paid much attention to protein in the past but you're right, I need to be thinking about it all the time.