What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    I’ve been watching billions on showtime - and I really don’t think the art is that far off from real life - also I wonder if the food industry and big pharma and the medical industry as a whole are in kahoots - keep erryone sick and full of meds and run to the bank. To hell with your fellow man is all about the Benjamins baby- and conversely we just continue to injest whatever feels good in the moment and don’t appear to mind the death by 1000 cuts or that we are the proverbial frog In boiling water - myself included- idk - I’ve been musing about this the last couple of days or weeks or last 5 years idk

@cowsfan12 I'm definitely going to check this out. Never heard of the show. I really do think the food industry in America sucks and that all the additives and gmo's really mess with our bodies. This is anecdotal but when I'm in the UK I NEVER crave food or get fixated on sweets and think about food. I tend to be more satisfied with a meal and not want or find myself wanting to snack at all. I swear, as soon as I come back to the US and make the switch, I have a tendency to want to consume, snack and overeat. I don't know what it is, but I do think it has something to do with additives and not just a lack of willpower or discipline or whatever other reason someone can think of. Time to become a homesteader! Keep the dream alive.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,185 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    litha_ wrote: »
    I’ve been watching billions on showtime - and I really don’t think the art is that far off from real life - also I wonder if the food industry and big pharma and the medical industry as a whole are in kahoots - keep erryone sick and full of meds and run to the bank. To hell with your fellow man is all about the Benjamins baby- and conversely we just continue to injest whatever feels good in the moment and don’t appear to mind the death by 1000 cuts or that we are the proverbial frog In boiling water - myself included- idk - I’ve been musing about this the last couple of days or weeks or last 5 years idk

@cowsfan12 I'm definitely going to check this out. Never heard of the show. I really do think the food industry in America sucks and that all the additives and gmo's really mess with our bodies. This is anecdotal but when I'm in the UK I NEVER crave food or get fixated on sweets and think about food. I tend to be more satisfied with a meal and not want or find myself wanting to snack at all. I swear, as soon as I come back to the US and make the switch, I have a tendency to want to consume, snack and overeat. I don't know what it is, but I do think it has something to do with additives and not just a lack of willpower or discipline or whatever other reason someone can think of. Time to become a homesteader! Keep the dream alive.

It’s interesting. I’ve heard of people who are gluten intolerant but can eat wheat in European countries because it’s processed differently.

@cowsfan12

I kinda think so. I try to take the good and discard the bad but sometimes it does seem like the odds are stacked against us. I think if you’re in general healthy you don’t end up dealing with it. But the snowball effect when you have an issue can be detrimental.
  • litha_
    edited October 2023
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »

It’s interesting. I’ve heard of people who are gluten intolerant but can eat wheat in European countries because it’s processed differently.

@cowsfan12

I kinda think so. I try to take the good and discard the bad but sometimes it does seem like the odds are stacked against us. I think if you’re in general healthy you don’t end up dealing with it. But the snowball effect when you have an issue can be detrimental.

@MelG7777 - In England there are warnings on the food for certain food dyes and chemicals with labels that say, “may have effects on activity and attention in children.” Primarily the red and yellow dyes I've seen but there are probably others. Brown bread there starts to go bad very quickly versus the US which has a MUCH longer shelf life. Why does US bread last so long?!? Are the stabilizers affecting our bodies?It's interesting to note about the gluten intolerance issue not being an issue there in some cases.

@cowsfan12 - If you want to go down a rabbit hole, food labeling and the first amendment is something to check out. Also, is natural really natural or did that chicken labeled natural just wait 30 days to clear up from an injection so it could be labelled natural?? idk...you got me thinking about stuff now!

ETA: I don't think patenting seeds should be allowed.
    https://www.vegetables.bayer.com/us/en-us/about/why-we-patent-seeds.html
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

I have lots of thoughts on this, but i have no real studies or evidence to back it up so i wont just spew out what may or may not be true about our food and meds. What i do realize, in my own experience, not saying its fact....but i never knew a kid or an adult when i was growing up to either have a peanut allergy or be allefgic to gluten. It seems to have come on in just the past couple of decades. And it seems everybody has problems with gluten now. Seems odd.....
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,060 Member
    Options

@cowsfan12

@MelG7777 - In England there are warnings on the food for certain food dyes and chemicals with labels that say, “may have effects on activity and attention in children.” Primarily the red and yellow dyes I've seen but there are probably others. Brown bread there starts to go bad very quickly versus the US which has a MUCH longer shelf life. Why does US bread last so long?!? Are the stabilizers affecting are bodies?It's interesting to note about the gluten intolerance issue not being an issue there in some cases.

@cowsfan12 - If you want to go down a rabbit hole, food labeling and the first amendment is something to check out. Also, is natural really natural or did that chicken labeled natural just wait 30 days to clear up from an injection so it could be labelled natural?? idk...you got me thinking about stuff now!

I hear you in the chicken example - I’ve heard folks that raises cattle and are able to call them 100% grass fed but they aren’t totally - from what I understand there is a window at before butcher you can “feed them out” I believe is the term with supplemental feed to get them fatter of course - don’t quote me on that - but I believe that is the jist of it - I’m sure someone pd someone who pd someone to get that chit passed - agrees keep the homestead dream alive my friend
  • cowsfan12
    Options

So why not test at infancy?? Right? Or did I miss something here - and if it is caught early how does that factor - sorry I haven’t looked into any of my questions-
  • litha_
    Options

@cowsfan12

@MelG7777 - In England there are warnings on the food for certain food dyes and chemicals with labels that say, “may have effects on activity and attention in children.” Primarily the red and yellow dyes I've seen but there are probably others. Brown bread there starts to go bad very quickly versus the US which has a MUCH longer shelf life. Why does US bread last so long?!? Are the stabilizers affecting are bodies?It's interesting to note about the gluten intolerance issue not being an issue there in some cases.

I hear you in the chicken example - I’ve heard folks that raises cattle and are able to call them 100% grass fed but they aren’t totally - from what I understand there is a window at before butcher you can “feed them out” I believe is the term with supplemental feed to get them fatter of course - don’t quote me on that - but I believe that is the jist of it - I’m sure someone pd someone who pd someone to get that chit passed - agrees keep the homestead dream alive my friend

My aunt used to raise grass fed beef and would sell at the farmers markets. She told me that the labeling for "organic" "natural" and whatever else they use on labels is somewhat misleading and It's basically like the food label equivalent of "greenwashing".
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,333 Member
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    I’ve been watching billions on showtime - and I really don’t think the art is that far off from real life - also I wonder if the food industry and big pharma and the medical industry as a whole are in cahoots - keep everyone sick and full of meds and run to the bank. To hell with your fellow man is all about the Benjamins baby- and conversely we just continue to ingest whatever feels good in the moment and don’t appear to mind the death by 1000 cuts or that we are the proverbial frog In boiling water - myself included- idk - I’ve been musing about this the last couple of days or weeks or last 5 years idk

I have lots of thoughts on this, but i have no real studies or evidence to back it up so i wont just spew out what may or may not be true about our food and meds. What i do realize, in my own experience, not saying its fact....but i never knew a kid or an adult when i was growing up to either have a peanut allergy or be allergic to gluten. It seems to have come on in just the past couple of decades. And it seems everybody has problems with gluten now. Seems odd.....
    My brother, born in 1966, was diagnosed with Celiac Disease as a very young child. My mother had a cousin (born in the 40s) who also had it. There is definitely a genetic link. But you are right, gluten intolerance is more prevalent today than it was in the past.
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 4,019 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

So why not test at infancy?? Right? Or did I miss something here - and if it is caught early how does that factor - sorry I haven’t looked into any of my questions-

People who are at risk for celiac are tested very young. The only treatment, afaik, is avoiding gluten. I believe the Italian government gives out vouchers to people who have celiac so they can buy gluten-free food.
  • itchmyTwitch
    edited October 2023
    Options
    My personal feeling, which is not scientific, is that many of the problems we have with food today have to do somehow with a lack of diversity in our diets. Again, completely unscientific opinion, and I am willing to be proved wrong. I’m not claiming to understand the mechanism even if I’m right.

But we eat fewer varieties of grains than in centuries past, fewer kinds of vegetables, fewer legumes. Most people I know do not eat more than two or three different kinds of animal, and no one I know IRL eats the entire animal.

Even when it comes to processed foods, I think it’s possible the poison is in the dosage. If you’re eating the same processed foods with the same kinds of ingredients over and over again it seems likely that is going to cause more of a problem than having it occasionally.

• cowsfan12
    Options

I have lots of thoughts on this, but i have no real studies or evidence to back it up so i wont just spew out what may or may not be true about our food and meds. What i do realize, in my own experience, not saying its fact....but i never knew a kid or an adult when i was growing up to either have a peanut allergy or be allefgic to gluten. It seems to have come on in just the past couple of decades. And it seems everybody has problems with gluten now. Seems odd.....

Very odd - also my thoughts are just thoughts not facts at all. Just what I’ve perceived in my own head - in my experience I do feel sharper mentally when I eat cleaner - and I don’t think that’s coincidence - it could be - I just don’t think it is - but maybe it is - who knows - I did get a decent conversation goin up in hur - Amirite??
  • Twinkletoes2023
    Twinkletoes2023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Very odd - also my thoughts are just thoughts not facts at all. Just what I’ve perceived in my own head - in my experience I do feel sharper mentally when I eat cleaner - and I don’t think that’s coincidence - it could be - I just don’t think it is - but maybe it is - who knows - I did get a decent conversation goin up in hur - Amirite??

Alcohol has the same effect on me… I also swear I’m more intelligent after a glass of vino 🍷 🧐
  • Twinkletoes2023
    Twinkletoes2023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do I go to to my diet program meeting tomorrow Evening for a chat or my son inlaws surprise pro bodybuilding party? 🤔 🥂 🍾
  • redux1985
    redux1985 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hulk Hogan.
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    Marcel Marceau
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,185 Member
    Options

@cowsfan12

@MelG7777 - In England there are warnings on the food for certain food dyes and chemicals with labels that say, “may have effects on activity and attention in children.” Primarily the red and yellow dyes I've seen but there are probably others. Brown bread there starts to go bad very quickly versus the US which has a MUCH longer shelf life. Why does US bread last so long?!? Are the stabilizers affecting our bodies?It's interesting to note about the gluten intolerance issue not being an issue there in some cases.

For sure! And I wasn’t militant about it but as a general rule I tried to stay away from certain additives with my kids and artificial colorings were among them. I admit to being more lax and easy going with that in recent years.
  • Wascally_Wabbit
    Wascally_Wabbit Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    cmsienk wrote: »
    My oldest has been watching The Walking Dead and I can’t wait for him to find out what happens to Glenn. He hasn’t even met Negan yet!

That episode was the start of the down fall of that show. IMO.
    Agree. That's when I pretty much stopped watching

So did Glenn
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    cmsienk wrote: »
    My oldest has been watching The Walking Dead and I can’t wait for him to find out what happens to Glenn. He hasn’t even met Negan yet!

That episode was the start of the down fall of that show. IMO.
    Agree. That's when I pretty much stopped watching

So did Glenn

😂