WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Machka: I am so happy for you and Roddy. You’ve fought long and hard for something that should have been a given after Roddy’s accident. I’m sure you will do great things during the time off you have earned in your career.

☘️ Terri

Thanks Terri. :heart:

But Rhody is our black cat. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka: I am so happy for you and Roddy. You’ve fought long and hard for something that should have been a given after Roddy’s accident. I’m sure you will do great things during the time off you have earned in your career.

☘️ Terri

Thanks Terri. :heart:

But Rhody is our black cat. :)

M in Oz

BTW just in case anyone wondered, Rhody is pronounced like the Rhod of Rhododendrons or Rhode Island. Or like a road cyclist, a roadie! :)

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im up and dressed,going to make a couple phone calls,to get insurance and things set up for tomorrow.
    Drs appointment at 10:30 ,stop and get Alfie and go up to see Doris and visit.. stop at the garage and see if they can take off my plates ,come home.. and we will put the car in Carolyns garage..
  • CarolGaGal
    CarolGaGal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Machka ~ Rhody looks like a very large cat and is very lovely! How much does he weigh?

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    hi gals....

Lisa - I have a clock that was a horizontal slice of a tree all cleaned up and then oiled and a hole drilled for the clock mechanism and the numbers glued in place I really love it... I am sure you can make something personal in clay.

thinking of everyone.
    Kim in N. California
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,526 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Rosie alarm went off at 1:30 (2:30 last week) so I'm up. Cleaner coming this morning so playing pick-up. She has plantar fascitis and still keeps going with cleaning, will be a few minutes late this morning due to PT appointment.

Machka - was Canada like you remembered it? So nice that you had a lot of leave and were able to take plenty of time on your visit back here to N. America. Did you have any adventures - visit any old haunts? Hope your allergies subside for good now that you are back in "home" territory.

In the US, some government jobs, with unions, grant a lot of vacation. It's been a while and I don't have a copy of the union contract anymore, but it seems long time employees can get up to 3 or 4 weeks per year, and accrue several year's worth. A lot of county employees are on a 4-10 workweek so already get a three day weekend. When I retired, I was able to cash out months of accrued vacation and sick pay.

Carol - Thinking about your BIL and how nice it was for your DH (and you) to have stepped in to oversee his care. Gives a person a glimpse of everything involved, possible outcomes as we age, and how to handle and plan. I know that looking back, my experience with DH has made me realize what I can do right now to preserve my health (and brain) as much as possible. Hope your neck is doing better. :)

Rebecca- so happy that your son contacted you and you got to have a good long visit. <3 I love the setting of your house in amongst the trees, what a nice location with the deer in the back yard even though you get to hear the pinecones thumping sometimes. :p I remember the elk that used to come visit you when you lived near Astoria.

Tracey - your crafts are adorable. Are you using a band saw to cut the wooden blocks or are you able to find scrap wood for most of them? I can imagine the good feeling seeing them finished and displayed like that - they are works of art. <3

Lisa - you are another "surprise artist" in this group :p - did you know you had talent as a potter? Your craft room is working out great.

Annie - glad to hear the social worker will send someone out to do an assessment. I wonder if part of the process would be to observe and assess your dad's mental state and give recommendations. Maybe they already have. ;) Continued big hugs to you. <3 Happy 91st to your mom.

Kylia - that Bronco paint detail is really nice - that takes a lot of skill! Good job on getting the steps in. I just did 11 minutes in my house at a kind of brisk pace in places (had to do a little Rosie dodging) and logged 1200 steps. The walk-right-after-I-eat thing. Before I got started, I put on my walking shoes and I think the extra support helps. My knees are also a little cranky today, yesterday I did my house walk in my house-shoes which don't have good support.

Waiting for the sky to lighten up so I can let the hens out. We are supposed to get some sunshine today so the plan is to distribute chicken coop bedding on parts of the lawn back by the powerline where grass is sparse and I had trees taken out. Will be interesting to see what that hit of nitrogen does next spring.

Have a great day!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Yes, the elk..... I miss the beach herd. So quiet and graceful. The head bulls were so bossy though. I used to yell down to them, "hey be nice to the ladies"!😂 If our sliding door was open oh you could smell them though. We have one elk here on Whidbey. A bruiser bull is here though.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific-nw-magazine/meet-bruiser-whidbey-islands-loneliest-and-only-resident-elk/
    I have yet to spy him. At 1,000 lbs though he's hard to miss.💖
    When we first moved here, I so missed the coast, the fierce storms, the sunny days, and the scent of the sea. I have acclimated though, and there are so many pluses. The base gym, the commissary, less people, the quiet of this house, no neighbors right on the other side of a wall, more money, better quality of life for us. The fact that son pays half and we pay the other half of the rent, ours lives will be intermingled for a long time. I am really grateful he is. The thought of us back in an apartment, living on top of each other, having to use food banks to supplement our pantry was tough. We have a lot more choices now, and I feel blessed.😁💖👍🏼🙏
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    2023 New Ways November

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate Indian Summer!
    Meditation: daily. 3/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 0/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%,100%).
    85 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 6521,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%,-6847,98%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 (10,00%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 225/208—(733%,100% My mom called me for a change.)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)91/94 (100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2, 173.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 45/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 10/12—(100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —90.7%
    November met—
    December met—

1. Make a list of new things you want to do this month. 1. Start Christmas shopping, 2. Work on my happiness, 3. Walk the mall at least once. 4. Read a new book
    2. Respond to a difficult situation in a different way. I will see what comes up, but the daily readings I do have helped a lot already! Did this!
    3. Get outside and observe the changes in nature around you..Supposed to be in the low 80’s (f) here today and the week to come so will have plenty of time to do this. Didn’t do this today, sick.
    4. Sign up to join a new course, activity, or online community. I’ll have to look around for this. Thinking about something to do with MCC. I joined 2 new groups on FB.
    5. Change your normal routine today and notice how you feel. Will do!
    6. Try out a new way of being physically active. I will have to think about this. Maybe do a YouTube video. Did not do this.
    7. Be creative. Cook, draw, write, paint, make or inspire. I will Zoodle
    8. Plan a new idea or activity you want to try out this year.
    9. When you feel you can’t do something, add the word ‘yet’.
    10. Be curious, learn about a new topic or an inspiring idea.
    11. Choose a different route and see what you notice on the way.
    12. Find out something new about someone you care about.
    13. Do something playful outdoors - walk, run, explore, relax.
    14. Find a new way to help or support a cause you care about.
    15. Build on new ideas by thinking “yes, and what if…”
    16. Look at life at someone else’s eyes and see their perspective.
    17. Try a new way to practice self-care and be kind to yourself.
    18. Connect with someone from a different generation.
    19. Broaden your perspective: read a different paper, magazine, or site.
    20. Make a meal using a recipe or ingredient you haven’t used before.
    21. Learn a new skill from a friend or share one of yours with them.
    22. Find a new way to tell someone you appreciate them.
    23. Set aside a time to pursue an activity your love.
    24. Share with a friend something useful you learned recently.
    25. Use one of your strengths in a new and creative way.
    26. Try out a different radio station or new TV show.
    27. Join a friend doing a hobby and find out why they love it.
    28. Discover your creative side. Design a friendly greeting card.
    29. Enjoy new music today. Play, sing, dance or listen.
    30. Look for new reasons to be hopeful, even in tough times.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

• kevrit
    Options
    I’ll send my UFO friends around to all your houses! It’s willing to transport any of us for free, just hop on when you see it! 🛸👽😈

I find that the Early Girl tomatoes are the only ones that do well here. It gets really hot in the summer. We’ve had a frost so all tomatoes and peppers are gone. The herbs have stopped growing and my mums are done for the year. I need to cover my herbs to see if I can get them through the winter. When I lived in CT they lived through the winter but for some reason, they haven’t done well in the winter here. Could be because they are in pots.

I tried the zen doodles and had fun with it. My DH is artistic and was telling me to do mirror letters-I’m not sure I can do that but will make him happy and ask for him to show me. I have played with calligraphy a few time and have a kit, but I need a whole lot more practice. My hand-eye coordination is not too good.

RVRita in Indian Summer- NM
  • kevrit
    Options
    And Today Is:
    w8cf2v7h605l.jpeg
    72hrhfgndoop.jpeg

Have a wonderful day!
    RVRita