NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    @cbabie I got the Instant Pot Vortex. It’s on sale or was yesterday for $69 from $99 previously. According to America’s Test Kitchen, the basket type can hold more food. Pancakes sound good. Sometimes we have to improvise to eat what we want.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 6,140 Member
    Options
    @fabgeekmom Thank you. Yeah the turkey breast was moist and delicious. Great job with the walk! We are having jalapeno cheddar turkey burgers from the ST Air Fryer Dinners cookbook tonight. Yay for a new air fryer! I always look on ATK for products, too. :)

@cbabie That was a good choice to have applesauce on your pancakes, well done! Yeah they want me to send them a video which will be hard to do because it doesn't happen often so the video will be long lol. Wow, that's a great compliment, thank you!

Hi all. I went for a follow-up visit to the doctor's yesterday morning. She said I have a sinus infection and that is the likely cause of the vertigo. I have to take a bunch of meds but hopefully it goes away. Yesterday, food was really good. I stuck to my plan. In my challenge group here in MFP, we are doing a mindfulness challenge for November where you make your own goals. These are mine:
    - Take at least 15 minutes to eat dinner every day in November.
    - Ask myself if I am really hungry before I start eating, and stop when I am comfortably full.
    - Chew each bite at least 10 times.
    - At the end of each day, give myself a rating from 1 to 10 (10 is the best) on how well I achieved my goals.

I had to reduce the goals down to this one for the week, and once I get that consistently, I will add another of the above:
    - Ask myself if I am really hungry before I start eating, and stop when I am comfortably full.

Water yesterday: 30 oz

My phrase for the year: "Every choice is another chance to change my health for the better."
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    @trooworld It sounds like you are getting sorted out with the vertigo. 🤞I will have to check out the turkey burgers. I have all the cookbooks.
    Hi, all. I got back from from the cottage yesterday. I caught up on laundry. I prepared the Instant Pot baked ziti from the Simple cookbook. It was really good and easy to prepare. I have extra cheese and spinach so I am going to make the white pizza in the same cookbook this week. Tonight my son is making nachos from ATK. On Tuesdays my daughter and her family eat with us. He made brownies from ATK while I was gone. I couldn’t resist and ate a small slice. Hopefully the rest will be eaten tonight when everyone comes over.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Glad to be back in my own bed. I still need to stock up on groceries. Plus dust. Dh was obviously waiting for me It always takes me a few days to get the groceries Since I don't really like going grocery shopping. I should really look into ordering online and then just picking it up. I'll weigh tomorrow and see how well I did this year. I usually gain 10 lbs when I go stay with dd for the summer and do our traveling. I think I did quite well this year. I was definitely exercising more this year. Plus I wasn't buying Whoppers candy every week either.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,595 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all, just checking in. I haven't exercised yet today. I had a 9am call and then had to get something done before picking up daughter at 11, then came home and fed both of them, not got them napping and I am going to sit here and enjoy a minute of peace.

@trooworld Your challenge sounds good..I would not do so well on the 10 chews..LOL I eat fast. Glad you are working out the vertigo...our ears and sinus really play into how we feel than we think.

@fabgeekmom well hopefully it's all gone and won't tempt you..LOL. but you know a little sweet never hurt us...the whole pan maybe. :).

@theslightedgeforever glad you are in your own bed...I hate to go get groceries...walmart has been my friend and my enemy. LOL.

cbabie
  • trooworld
    Options
    @fabgeekmom Yes, I wake up a little dizzy but not nearly as much. We loved the burgers (made them with 94% lean ground beef though). Good to know about the ziti. Gosh all that food sounds good! :)

@theslightedgeforever Welcome back! Good luck with the dusting and groceries. I love to order online and pick up, so convenient. Skinny vibes for weigh-in!

@cbabie I eat fast as well. I had to narrow it down because I was getting none of it done lol. I agree about the ears and sinuses.

Hi all. I did very well with my one mindfulness goal (Ask myself if I am really hungry before I start eating, and stop when I am comfortably full) yesterday. My stomach was hurting from heartburn (maybe from the antibiotics?) so I didn't eat lunch and I barely ate dinner, just had the burger no fries. I didn't push myself to eat out of fear I'd be hungry later when I couldn't eat (when I would be working the reference desk), I just didn't eat. We are having a potluck at work today for Thanksgiving. It's going to be a mishmash of stuff, nothing really healthy besides a veggie tray. My stomach will probably hurt again today.

Water yesterday: 50 oz

My phrase for the year: "Every choice is another chance to change my health for the better."
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    @cbabie I remember those moments of peace when my children were little. @the slightestedgeforever It is good to sleep in one’s bed. And after being gone it’s a pain to get groceries. @trooworld The antibiotics are probably the cause of your stomach ache. Good job of listening to your body and not eating. I will have to try the burger recipe. Tonight I’m making the fried catfish from the same cookbook. Hi, all. I went to the recreation center yesterday. Afterwords I went to the grocery store to get ingredients for tonight and tomorrow night. My daughter and her husband ate with us and we all enjoyed the nachos. I ate a reasonable portion. We had brownies for dessert. I ate a small piece and didn’t eat seconds. There is one piece left I’m going swimming today. It will be my first time in a month since I had my cold.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @fabgeekmom That's what I figured. Thanks! Enjoy the catfish. I love nachos, I bet those were good. Good job not eating seconds on the dessert! Good luck with the swimming.

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @cbabie You can learn to eat slowly. Although eating slowly does not bring on weight loss. i'm a great example of that. I'm glad you had a moment of peace

@trooworld That's good that you didn't eat out of fear not being able to eat. It's really a common problem of people who want to lose weight. But we all survive. Just like your quote for the year says, Every choice.......

@fabgeekmom I really like how you have made this journey a lifestyle. You eat proper portions. Plus keep to an active lifestyle.

I lost 1.1 last week and 6 lbs since end of June. Not bad at all considering I took two trips and a little weekend excursion. So I have officially broken my summer gain streak. Which means I can break my Feb streak. I usually come back and then lose from Nov through end of January and it never fails... February I start gaining until we hit end of June and we start the whole process over again. So this year is going to be different.

• fabgeekmom
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever Good job on the weight loss! Yes, this year can be different. What has helped me is being able to eat what I want in reasonable amounts. There is candy on the bar and I will have a few pieces occasionally. And I track everything as best I can.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever Yes, I'm constantly doing that. Wow, that's great that you lost when you usually gain! Yes, this year will be different.

Hi all. Again, I did really well with the mindfulness goal yesterday. I went to the potluck and had some food but didn't have seconds. Then they brought out pizza and salad and I just got up and went inside back to work. I really wanted some of that pizza but I was already full from the food I ate. Tonight, I am making chicken fajitas.

Water yesterday: 60 oz

• fabgeekmom
    Options
    @trooworld Good job on the mindfulness at the potluck. And not eating the pizza. That’s hard but so worth it. The fried catfish was really good. I used a little more catfish than the recipe called for so I have leftovers for lunch. I added 2 tablespoons of low-fat mayonnaise to the coleslaw. I wish I had doubled the recipe. It was so good. I have a little leftover to go on my fish. My husband wasn’t a fan so next time I will fix him something different.
    Hi, all. It felt so good to be in the water yesterday. I swam my usual amount of yards. Tonight we are eating at my cousin’s house. I had planned on making the white pizza. I put the pizza dough in the freezer. We’ll have omelets this morning to use up the spinach.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,595 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, just a quick check in...still have a sick little girl. I hate when they are sick, but you do get snuggles..LOL

I am not doing well eating right as I am just grabbing and going...I have to stop.,,don't want to gain back the weight.

I will respond to personals later, I have to go check on the kids.

Cbabie
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I am currently trying to do WW but it is hard to eat on the run and wanted to know if people over 50 have found success with using MFP. I tried using MFP but the app is not very user friendly as WW. Does anyone have the premium plan with MFP? Success with one more than the other?

Thank you,

Mary
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    @mafery I had gained 10 pounds in a year while doing WW. Too many 0 point foods. My doctor suggested MFP. I signed up for premium and have lost those pounds. The app gets easier to use. With Premium I have the same tools I had on WW.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @fabgeekmom Thank you. I'm glad you liked the catfish. Good job with the swimming! Enjoy the time at your cousin's.

@cbabie I hope baby girl gets better soon and doesn't pass it along to you!

@mafery I am over 50, I have the premium plan. I do not have success on either WW or MFP but that is because of my habits and eating patterns and lack of exercise. For me, I like MFP because I cook a lot at home (recipes) and can easily import the recipes (it's a premium feature) by the URL. This makes tracking a bit easier. So, for me, I'm doing MFP Premium for now. I hope this helps.

Hi all. I lost a bit of weight this week, -0.6 lbs, but my habits improved. I was more aware of my fullness level, I drank more water, and I got on my walking pad once. I consider all those wins. Today, I am off work for Veteran's Day. I am going to meet a former colleague up near her house about 1-1 /2 hrs away depending on traffic. We are then going to drive 45 mins from there to an art museum. We will probably walk around at antique stores after that.

Water yesterday: 84 oz

• fabgeekmom
    Options
    @cbabie I hope baby girl is better and no one else gets sick. @trooworld .6 weight loss is good! And working on fullness signals, too. Enjoy your day off and time with your friend. Hi, all! I enjoyed my meal at my cousins’s house. I tracked everything as best I could. That’s one thing I learned from WW. An educated guess is better than not tracking. I have to admit I ate more than I should have but I don’t feel like I went overboard. Today is a swim day and steak night.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @fabgeekmom Thank you! That's good you enjoyed your cousin's house dinner and tracked. Sometimes it's not easy to track when you aren't in control of the food. Yes, an educated guess is better. I hope you enjoyed steak night and your swim.

Hi all. I overdid it yesterday. I was mindful but the calories were way over my daily allotment. We went to the art museum, which had an interesting exhibit of illustrations from the mid-20th century. These illustrations were printed in magazines of the time: The New York Post, Life, and more. Here is one of my favorites by Arthur Saron Sarnoff, it's called "Supervised and Unsupervised". It is typical of the playful themes and brilliant colors of these illustrations. We went for lunch after that and I had crepes. Then we walked around some antique stores. We then stopped at a bakery and I got a loaf of 1/2 off bread, and some desserts for my husband and I. I had a surprise in store when I went to go home, my one-hour drive was actually 2 hours thanks to bad traffic. When we got home, I made lobster ravioli with alfredo sauce and garlic bread out of the bread I brought home. It was all delicious and quite the indulgence.

rmc0suboj1qz.jpg
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    @trooworld Your day sounds wonderful. I love art museums. My son and always go to one when we travel. Your food choices also sounded good. I always find that food tastes better when I travel, especially when we go to places we don’t usually go. It’s a good habit to track even when we go over our calories. I always eat more if I don’t track. Hi, all. My swim yesterday was good. The water was warm. When I came home my son had made a quick pulled chicken and coleslaw meal from ATK. It was good and not as many calories as most recipes there. I used a 647 (low calorie)) bun instead of the huge buns my son bought. My son and I went grocery shopping and bought a turkey since it was a good price. I’m saving it for Christmas as we go to my cousin’s house for Thanksgiving. Today we are going to the recreation center. I’ll workout on the recumbent elliptical. Tonight is dinner out with the family at an Italian restaurant.
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @mafery Welcome to the group. I lost 24 lbs on here using MFP right before pandemic hit. I have the Premium plan and was using a carb cycling program. I had become pre-diabetic and dr suggested lowering my carbs a bit. Unfortunately gained all those back. Since then I have tried many times to repeat my success and can't seem to do it consistently. I don't know why. I just started following the WWBlue plan about 2 weeks ago but I'm using the Healthi app so it's free. I was double tracking for awhile but got sick of that. So now just on Healthi. I've lost almost 3 lbs with it. I think I like it better as it is easier for me to eat f&v and all the other good things that would be good for my body plus because the points are so high on the non healthy food it gives me pause. Do I really need this? Can I just eat less of it? Versus if I'm calorie counting I just eat it, track it, and move on and then say well I have no calories left for the healthy food. I do like the food database on MFP better. I found a website that I've added to my phone like an app of restaurants with point values. They have both points plus and smart points. It's been a bit of a mindset change as before I could just eat alot of meat and cheese while out and not have to worry about it. But now those things have points. But I think in the long run, the WW plan will be better for me. I'm also really paying attention to how full I feel. Not just eating it because it's zero points or because I have the points left. Its a learning process.

@trooworld Yaaay on your weight loss. I love art museums. So repeat those habits you worked on this week so you can show a loss again next week.

@fabgeekmom I agree with educated guesses are better than nothing. Lots of times I would search something and then then choose the middle number of calories if I couldn't find the proper nutrition data. It worked that way.

@cbabie Sorry to hear sick family members again.

Food has been going well this week. But I need to find my exercise rhythm again. Usually it's the other way around. Being back home now I'm trying to find the best time to exercise. While 6:30 pm was a great time with my dd because she wasn't home from work yet, it's an awful time because that's when I sit with my mil until she goes to bed. I did get in a 20 min walk this morning though. Just didn't make it to the gym to do my weights like I wanted it. My bodyfat % lowered while I was staying with dd. That has never happened. Overall I did really well this year. Now to keep it going.