GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• Neverquit67
    Neverquit67 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Upper body power day this morning (a crowd favorite), and making good progress lately. As I said previous, I don't go up in weight until I can get all sets for target reps +2, which on power day means all five sets for seven reps. My bench today I got 6 reps first four sets, 7 reps on the final with gas in the tank, so I figure another week (or two) and I'll be able to increase my bench weight for the first time in a few months.

Meanwhile, I did smash the 5x7 threshold on BB OHP, so next week I'll tack on 10# and see where I'm at. If I can get at least 4 reps per set I'll keep it; if even one set gets only 3, I'll back off 5# (which will still be heavier than what I'm using now).

I tried the suggested "pistol grip" but it didn't last long, as my heavy working sets just couldn't keep a grip with only three fingers. I'll try again on Thursday's hypertrophy day, when the weights are moderately heavy. Wasn't an issue today with my elbow/grip anyway...I've determined my grip is just fine when my wrists are pointing up or in, it's only when facing down that there's an issue.

Which actually reminds me of another question I have: for anybody who does face pulls, how do you have your wrists aligned? Where is the knot at the end of the rope...by your thumb or by your pinkie? It feels much more comfortable with the knot by my thumb, but I think I get better rear delt activation with the knot by my pinkie.

Saw a video over the weekend which had me dying laughing, tears and everything. There's a professional strongman from some eastern European country who likes to spoof unsuspecting lifters. In this video, he dressed up in janitor coveralls to hide his figure, and wandered around with a mop pretending to clean, occasionally jumping into somebody's routine to show them off without seeming to do so. For example, two guys were doing bent-over BB rows with 315, seriously strong dudes. This guy walks up, very humbly excusing himself to clean, and picks up the bar...with one hand...while he "mops" under the bar, all while talking with a normal voice, no grunts or straining apparent. He does a few reps rowing this weight...mind you, 315 with a SINGLE HAND...before moving on, all casual as can be, leaving these two guys to pick up their jaws from the floor. Wish I could link it here...it was embedded in an email...but even days later I chuckle just thinking about it.

It's ANATOLY... he's the best! haha he has a tonne of these vids :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP8JDg-HloQ

Face Pulls…I started using the regular handles with long straps since the rope would bother my thumb and wrists. Give it a shot if your gym has them.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,276 Member
    Options
    So kind of a hammer/neutral grip? Interesting...
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,157 Member
    Options
    This gif is from last night. My face pulls are at the end and it shows how I hold the rope. Not sure if it's "right", but it seems to work ok!

saoknhmoqmbv.gif

Great gif. That grip on your face-pulls looks good to me.
  • nossmf
    Options
    It's the grip I use. Good on you keeping your elbows up high during...too many times I see people dropping their elbows, rope comes more to the chest than the face, and different muscles become the prime movers rather than the rear delts they are supposed to be targeting.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Great gif. That grip on your face-pulls looks good to me.

Thank you!

It's the grip I use. Good on you keeping your elbows up high during...too many times I see people dropping their elbows, rope comes more to the chest than the face, and different muscles become the prime movers rather than the rear delts they are supposed to be targeting.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Brigit_1
    Brigit_1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This gif is from last night. My face pulls are at the end and it shows how I hold the rope. Not sure if it's "right", but it seems to work ok!

saoknhmoqmbv.gif

You're amazing!
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,368 Member
    Options

saoknhmoqmbv.gif

Yep, that seems to be the correct grip and form for face pulls Sandy.
    Really targeting those rear delts
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Brigit_1 wrote: »

saoknhmoqmbv.gif

You're amazing!

You are so kind! Thank you! 😊
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

saoknhmoqmbv.gif

Yep, that seems to be the correct grip and form for face pulls Sandy.
    Really targeting those rear delts

Thanks Gus! I'm sure feeling them today! Lol
  • nossmf
    Options
    Today I increased the weight on my bench press, last week was simply hoping I'd get 4 reps each set. Nah, felt great today, got 5-5-6-6-7. Some combination of being more prepared than I realized, plus the additional energy from having started a slow bulk and getting extra calories. But at this rate, I'll be looking to increase the weight again in time for the new year, if not sooner!

Still will never reach the dude using the bench before me, though. He knocked 3 reps at 365, and rebuffed my compliment by grumbling he should be doing 405 by now. 😲
  • kinetixtrainer2
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Today I increased the weight on my bench press, last week was simply hoping I'd get 4 reps each set. Nah, felt great today, got 5-5-6-6-7. Some combination of being more prepared than I realized, plus the additional energy from having started a slow bulk and getting extra calories. But at this rate, I'll be looking to increase the weight again in time for the new year, if not sooner!

Still will never reach the dude using the bench before me, though. He knocked 3 reps at 365, and rebuffed my compliment by grumbling he should be doing 405 by now. 😲

Sounds like you’re ready to bump the weight up just a tad now.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    jyxpgsykxzpw.gif
  • nossmf
    Options

I could probably handle a little heavier load right away, agreed. However, I want to ensure my joints have sufficient time to become accustomed to a given weight before I increase and risk injury. (That's how I blew out both shoulders the first time I tried to max my bench PR.) The method I've been using says I wait to increase until I can do all sets at goal reps +2. In this case, when I can take my bench weight and lift it, not the goal of 5x5, but 5x7. Then I know I'm ready to increase. It's slower gainz, but I never wanna go back to injuring myself and losing gym time in the name of "progress."

What's the criteria you use to know when to increase weight, just for purpose of discussion?
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

I could probably handle a little heavier load right away, agreed. However, I want to ensure my joints have sufficient time to become accustomed to a given weight before I increase and risk injury. (That's how I blew out both shoulders the first time I tried to max my bench PR.) The method I've been using says I wait to increase until I can do all sets at goal reps +2. In this case, when I can take my bench weight and lift it, not the goal of 5x5, but 5x7. Then I know I'm ready to increase. It's slower gainz, but I never wanna go back to injuring myself and losing gym time in the name of "progress."

What's the criteria you use to know when to increase weight, just for purpose of discussion?

When doing a 5x5 it’s as simple as once I’m hitting all 5 sets of 5 reps with good form I’ll bump the weight. Typically just a 5 lbs bump. I also use an app that tracks my progression on more traditional sets and reps and it’s typically the same. Once I’m hitting all sets and reps with good form for two consecutive workouts I’ll bump the weight. I’ll also use pause reps, slow negatives, cluster sets and dead reps to add intensity. Just depends on how I write the program. I will normally run a program for 8 to 12 weeks depending.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Gotcha, we're similar, except you view the 5x5 as a ceiling (if you can do more, you're not heavy enough), where I see it as a floor (if you can't get at least this many, you're too heavy).
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Gotcha, we're similar, except you view the 5x5 as a ceiling (if you can do more, you're not heavy enough), where I see it as a floor (if you can't get at least this many, you're too heavy).

That’s interesting. So what your overall goal when you run these ? Is it more of a bottom limit of where you want to your strength to drop while you’re cutting ?
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,043 Member
    Options

When doing a 5x5 it’s as simple as once I’m hitting all 5 sets of 5 reps with good form I’ll bump the weight. Typically just a 5 lbs bump. I also use an app that tracks my progression on more traditional sets and reps and it’s typically the same. Once I’m hitting all sets and reps with good form for two consecutive workouts I’ll bump the weight. I’ll also use pause reps, slow negatives, cluster sets and dead reps to add intensity. Just depends on how I write the program. I will normally run a program for 8 to 12 weeks depending.

Same
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,043 Member
    Options
    jyxpgsykxzpw.gif

Are those lifting shoes with a slight incline or just running shoes - ?
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,368 Member
    Options

I like this approach