GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    On the advice of @kinetixtrainer2 I increased my bench press weight another 10#, figured I'd go back down if I got stuck at 3 reps for any one set. But I didn't, I got 4-4-4-4-6 (with spotter last set), so was pretty stoked for the rest of the workout.

Over the weekend watching TV with my wife, at one point a character took off his shirt and his fellow male characters went gaga over his washboard abs (on an otherwise unassuming physique). My wife started talking about how women never find that attractive, how guys want big muscles and 6-pack abs only for themselves, women couldn't care less. I've known for years I was getting fit for my sake and not hers, but now that I'm part of this group, gotta wonder...is that true? Do women simply not care for that muscular look guys crave? Sure, when looking for a potential spouse I can believe women look for other attributes instead, but is it only in movies where that super physique turns a woman's head, or does it happen in real life as well?

Does it turn my head, hell yes. Have I ever dated someone with a physique that perfect? No. It's not that much of a priority for me to seek it out. The guy I am dating is tall and strong, but has a definite dad bod. I find him incredibly attractive because of who he is.

So.. head turn? YES. Must have? NO. Have I ever wished to play with a physique like that? MOST DEFINITELY. Wll I ever get that opportunity? Not likely. LOL

I feel what you're saying though. I have extra fluff again and feel so blech. Wish I was ripped and low body fat (but not enough to live that restricted lifestyle again). My guy says he thinks I'm great as I am, but I can't help but think I'd be greater if I was more fit.

Last note: when I was ripped and had an 8 pack... I dated a guy who ended up breaking up with me because he couldn't handle being "the fat one in the relationship" - his words not mine. He wanted someone "softer" and "less muscular". Go figure.

Great thoughts
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options
    On the advice of @kinetixtrainer2 I increased my bench press weight another 10#, figured I'd go back down if I got stuck at 3 reps for any one set. But I didn't, I got 4-4-4-4-6 (with spotter last set), so was pretty stoked for the rest of the workout.

Over the weekend watching TV with my wife, at one point a character took off his shirt and his fellow male characters went gaga over his washboard abs (on an otherwise unassuming physique). My wife started talking about how women never find that attractive, how guys want big muscles and 6-pack abs only for themselves, women couldn't care less. I've known for years I was getting fit for my sake and not hers, but now that I'm part of this group, gotta wonder...is that true? Do women simply not care for that muscular look guys crave? Sure, when looking for a potential spouse I can believe women look for other attributes instead, but is it only in movies where that super physique turns a woman's head, or does it happen in real life as well?

Does it turn my head, hell yes. Have I ever dated someone with a physique that perfect? No. It's not that much of a priority for me to seek it out. The guy I am dating is tall and strong, but has a definite dad bod. I find him incredibly attractive because of who he is.

So.. head turn? YES. Must have? NO. Have I ever wished to play with a physique like that? MOST DEFINITELY. Wll I ever get that opportunity? Not likely. LOL

I feel what you're saying though. I have extra fluff again and feel so blech. Wish I was ripped and low body fat (but not enough to live that restricted lifestyle again). My guy says he thinks I'm great as I am, but I can't help but think I'd be greater if I was more fit.

Last note: when I was ripped and had an 8 pack... I dated a guy who ended up breaking up with me because he couldn't handle being "the fat one in the relationship" - his words not mine. He wanted someone "softer" and "less muscular". Go figure.

feels like a bucket list item to me
  • 95km90
    95km90 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I feel like it’s nice seeing someone take care of themselves is what it comes down to in the end that’s also why imo is attractive.

• Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    RE: Shoes

- Chucks have too narrow of a toe box for me (maybe in general, tbh?)
    - Had a pair of Adipowers, maybe they were the wrong size, but felt they were too narrow, too and I'd get midfoot cramping.
    - Really liked the original lifting cross-trainers that Under Armour put out but the style had shifted some over the years against my liking.
    - Recently I've found good success and comfort with the Reebok Nano line. Had a pair of Xs, currently running X1s and there's a pair of X3s on my Christmas list.
    - Unsure if it's an age thing or the fact I scarcely wore shoes spring of '20 when working from home full time but I've needed to size up or get wides since then.

I looked these shoes up, are they really wide? They look narrow
    Maybe i should just give it a try
    Options

Congrats on the increased weight Mike, you are doing awesome!

About the body type thing.
    I think it really depends on the woman and age as well.

Woman in their early 20's are more likely to look for a men with a great physique compared to woman in their late 30's early 40's i think. I think that is part of our DNA as well and has been like that since beginning of mankind.

I have never had visible abs, have always been the big fluffy guy, so i think that would not attract a super fit girl either, you'd probably "fish in your own pond"

With today's society, and all the social media, it does have made sort of a switch, especially for the younger people (under 25) who do workout more because they are influenced by socials.

I mean, when i grew up you had like Arnold who was worldwide known, and a few others. So you thouhgt they were unique, but you didn't know as much about it as today. It basically gets now shoved in your face. You see fit people on the socials everywhere (altough you still have to be following fit people to get it in your algorhytm)

I like someone for who they are. I have dated a model in the past, but her personality was definatly not matching mine, so we broke up eventually, even though friends of mine thought i was insane of letting her go.

When i met my wife i was 125kg and she fell for me, for who i am. She herself is no lightweight either, but to me, looks have never mattered when it comes to a partner.
    My wife likes a bit of fluff on me.

The working out part is definatly for me, not her
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,830 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Congrats on the increased weight Mike, you are doing awesome!

About the body type thing.
    I think it really depends on the woman and age as well.

Woman in their early 20's are more likely to look for a men with a great physique compared to woman in their late 30's early 40's i think. I think that is part of our DNA as well and has been like that since beginning of mankind.

I have never had visible abs, have always been the big fluffy guy, so i think that would not attract a super fit girl either, you'd probably "fish in your own pond"

With today's society, and all the social media, it does have made sort of a switch, especially for the younger people (under 25) who do workout more because they are influenced by socials.

I mean, when i grew up you had like Arnold who was worldwide known, and a few others. So you thouhgt they were unique, but you didn't know as much about it as today. It basically gets now shoved in your face. You see fit people on the socials everywhere (altough you still have to be following fit people to get it in your algorhytm)

I like someone for who they are. I have dated a model in the past, but her personality was definatly not matching mine, so we broke up eventually, even though friends of mine thought i was insane of letting her go.

When i met my wife i was 125kg and she fell for me, for who i am. She herself is no lightweight either, but to me, looks have never mattered when it comes to a partner.
    My wife likes a bit of fluff on me.

The working out part is definatly for me, not her

IMO that’s as it should be.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    PSA time:

Normally I'm fanatical about getting sufficient warmup sets in before lifting heavy, at least on the first exercise of the day. But for some reason I cannot explain, when I swapped from deadlifts to rack pulls, I cut out a few warmup sets. Still did three warmups, at 25%, 50%, and 75% before my first 5x5 pull, but in back-to-back weeks I really had to grind through the first two sets before hitting my groove and being fine for sets 3-5.

Fact the later sets were easier clued me in that my body wasn't ready for the first couple sets, it wasn't an issue of lifting too heavy. So today I added two more warmup sets (62.5% and 87.5%) for a total of five before my first working set.

This small change made a HUGE difference. From the very first working set the weight was flying up, no grind at all. Even debated adding weight, things felt that good. (I didn't...yet...but may in coming weeks.)

Moral of the story is to ensure you have adequate warmup, and be willing to add more if you need.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options
    PSA time:

Normally I'm fanatical about getting sufficient warmup sets in before lifting heavy, at least on the first exercise of the day. But for some reason I cannot explain, when I swapped from deadlifts to rack pulls, I cut out a few warmup sets. Still did three warmups, at 25%, 50%, and 75% before my first 5x5 pull, but in back-to-back weeks I really had to grind through the first two sets before hitting my groove and being fine for sets 3-5.

Fact the later sets were easier clued me in that my body wasn't ready for the first couple sets, it wasn't an issue of lifting too heavy. So today I added two more warmup sets (62.5% and 87.5%) for a total of five before my first working set.

This small change made a HUGE difference. From the very first working set the weight was flying up, no grind at all. Even debated adding weight, things felt that good. (I didn't...yet...but may in coming weeks.)

Moral of the story is to ensure you have adequate warmup, and be willing to add more if you need.

Amen brother,

I spend about 15 min stretching and shoulder mobility exercises before every workout. Light. Bis and tris to warm the elbows and then 4 to 5 warm up sets before my first compound lift. Makes life so much easier and those first heavy sets much more effective IMO
    Options
    PSA time:

YEP!
    I do about 3-4 warmup sets before working sets. Depending on what % i am working at
    When i do this mesocycle program. The first week starts with 70%. So i start warmup with just the bar, then 25% then 50%. But when i am working towards the end of the cycle and work at 90 or 95% i add another 1 or 2 warmup sets
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    RE: Physique Preferences
    I've been married for 10 years, and together since '09. Neither one of us have ever really been overweight throughout the relationship (something we discussed we wanted to hold each other accountable to, if it ever came up, for health and longevity). When we got married in '13 I was ~158 lbs at 6'1" and had scarcely touched a barbell. I was half-assing p90X type stuff with dumbbells and played some sports growing up but hardly looked like an athlete; pretty average, would probably have been described as lanky or skinny by most standards. I started lifting on a variety of sensible programs in 2015 and have added noticeable muscle in that time. By various methods I was ~18-20% body fat when I started and now stay consistently around 12%, bouncing between ~170-185 depending on the season. I will say I'm sure my wife definitely prefers my current aesthetic to how I looked before lifting, but what's hard to parse is that I certainly do and that's significantly changed my self-perception and improved my confidence. Undoubtedly, that too drives attraction, aside from the fact we both consider each other to be a best friend in addition to being a spouse and partner.

@Minion_training_program - I've been sized as a 10.5W but the Nanos have been hard to find in wide sizes so I go up to an 11 and haven't had any issues.

RE: Warm-ups
    Anyone who's seen my post history knows I'm an RP stan, Isratel's stance has long been that the best warm-up for a lift is the actual lift itself, providing the physiological, psychological, and neurological benefits and primers in one shot.

• nossmf
    Options
    The first week starts with 70%. So i start warmup with just the bar, then 25% then 50%. But when i am working towards the end of the cycle and work at 90 or 95% i add another 1 or 2 warmup sets

Want to make sure I'm not being misunderstood: when I said 25%, 50% etc I was referring to 25% of first working set, not 25% of 1RM.
    Options
    RE: Physique Preferences
    I've been married for 10 years, and together since '09. Neither one of us have ever really been overweight throughout the relationship (something we discussed we wanted to hold each other accountable to, if it ever came up, for health and longevity). When we got married in '13 I was ~158 lbs at 6'1" and had scarcely touched a barbell. I was half-assing p90X type stuff with dumbbells and played some sports growing up but hardly looked like an athlete; pretty average, would probably have been described as lanky or skinny by most standards. I started lifting on a variety of sensible programs in 2015 and have added noticeable muscle in that time. By various methods I was ~18-20% body fat when I started and now stay consistently around 12%, bouncing between ~170-185 depending on the season. I will say I'm sure my wife definitely prefers my current aesthetic to how I looked before lifting, but what's hard to parse is that I certainly do and that's significantly changed my self-perception and improved my confidence. Undoubtedly, that too drives attraction, aside from the fact we both consider each other to be a best friend in addition to being a spouse and partner.

@Minion_training_program - I've been sized as a 10.5W but the Nanos have been hard to find in wide sizes so I go up to an 11 and haven't had any issues.

Anyone who's seen my post history knows I'm an RP stan, Isratel's stance has long been that the best warm-up for a lift is the actual lift itself, providing the physiological, psychological, and neurological benefits and primers in one shot.

Well, since i am european, sizes kinda work different over here.
    I have wide J, for references, "standard shoes" are sold with wide E, so i go 5 wides above that
    I have Asics running shoes for when i workout and can use shoes, so besides squating and deadlift (and it's variations)
    And because the side are so flexible i can wear them, but my feet are hanging over the side of the shoe, so you can imagine, that is not something i should wear during squats or deadlifts, even if they were flat soles.

As for warmups, a friend of mine here once said something similair. Warmup for your squats, by doing squats. Especially for the neurological system
    Options
    The first week starts with 70%. So i start warmup with just the bar, then 25% then 50%. But when i am working towards the end of the cycle and work at 90 or 95% i add another 1 or 2 warmup sets

Want to make sure I'm not being misunderstood: when I said 25%, 50% etc I was referring to 25% of first working set, not 25% of 1RM.

Oh, yeah than i have misunderstood that part.
    I warmup with % of my 1RM.
    Had someone mention to me earlier this week to probably do a bit more warmup sets before working set.
    So going to give that a try first.
    If i like it, i can stay with it. If not, i will try your approach
    Always willing to try different styles to see what works for me
  • nossmf
    Options

Of course. Did something in my post imply that I do differently? Sorry if I misled you. When I'm warming up for heavy rack pulls, I do lighter rack pulls, ramping up the weight with each warmup set.
  • nossmf
    Options
    I warmup with % of my 1RM.

In my power lifting days, I based all my programming and lifts off of % of 1RM. These days, I just know what I'm capable of doing for this many reps, and base warmups off a % of that first working set. I haven't tested my 1RM since my birthday in June, when I torqued my back on deadlifts, and am loathe to actually do 1RM testing anymore, unless it's by doing sub-maximal loads for at least 3 reps and then using a calculator to determine what a corresponding 1RM would be.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

Of course. Did something in my post imply that I do differently? Sorry if I misled you. When I'm warming up for heavy rack pulls, I do lighter rack pulls, ramping up the weight with each warmup set.

Not at all, I was simply chiming in
  • Brigit_1
    Brigit_1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Will post when I have a lift that's GIFable. Right now using two 15 lb. dumbbells for chest press is probably not going to impress anyone. 😂🏋️‍♀️
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    Brigit_1 wrote: »
    Will post when I have a lift that's GIFable. Right now using two 15 lb. dumbbells for chest press is probably not going to impress anyone. 😂🏋️‍♀️

We all had to start somewhere- I can’t lift near the weight most of these cats do - but I can push more than when I started - so I say get to gif’s 😉
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options

Never ever ever be ashamed of what you can’t do.

Be grateful for what you can.

• Brigit_1
    Brigit_1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Never ever ever be ashamed of what you can’t do.

Be grateful for what you can.

TRUE ❤️❤️❤️