At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    @springlering62 ~ saw a fab looking plate protein pancakes you recently posted elsewhere. maybe you've posted recipe here, but, would you please repost pic and recipe here? my inner 2 yr old child's eyeballs clapped! lol

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10881740/cake-mix-protein-pancake-recipe#latest

waqwlrd7cloa.jpeg

^^333 calories, including the “cream cheese” and coffee with the heaping mound of froth.

For a fabulous hand frother you can’t do better than this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Coffee-Frother-Technology-CFFROTH/dp/B016ULW6T0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3U2SR2B5I2CLX&keywords=ninja+hand+frother&qid=1673471403&sprefix=ninja+hand+frother,aps,134&sr=8-3

Works best with cold skim milk. Microwave after frothing, and watch it explode like a science experiment you can actually eat and enjoy.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 ~ Thank you! the cameras these days take such good crisp details and that plate of pancakes amazing - I would not feel deprived eating any of the variations described in your recipe! yummers!
  • springlering62
    Options
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    @springlering62 ~ Thank you! the cameras these days take such good crisp details and that plate of pancakes amazing - I would not feel deprived eating any of the variations described in your recipe! yummers!

Enjoy, and I’m just relieved the crisp photo doesn’t show the crumbs and cat hair lol. Favorite perch. 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    @springlering62, I always enjoy your posts. My wife and I are similarly both users but have varying styles and levels of interest in the details. She refuses to weigh herself at all and loathes the act of tracking and logging but likes the way she feels when she gets enough protein and properly fuels her running exploits, whilst I ensure I weigh daily under precise conditions and instinctively weigh portions, even when they're not for me.

We had an interesting conversation the other day; I mentioned it would be nice to have a few more pairs of golf shorts I particularly like as a Fathers' Day idea were either of our mothers to ask her. She rebutted that shorts are harder to buy for others than shorts because of size, to which I replied that I've been the same waist size since I was 17 (the fact that itself is a 17 year span was a tad shocking). She was pretty dumbfounded by that given that my weight has probably fluxed a solid 30 pounds over that span (~155-185 lb), though carried differently as my fitness pursuits and body composition are noticeably different.
  • springlering62
    edited August 2023
    Options
    The BL has slacked off on weighing. He’s been pissing and moaning about not losing weight.

He fell into the classic trap. He buys barrels of peanut butter and went through one in about two weeks.

I noticed because I’ve started buttering my chocolate protein pancakes with 16gr of melted peanut butter.

Me: Still weighing?

No, I eyeball it now.

Well, you’ve been eyeballing a 56 serving jar of peanut butter into empty in a couple of weeks!

Input unappreciated. I head him mumble “Diet Nazi”

Still, he’s maintaining and that’s a win.

Am still learning, you cannot nag someone into weight loss. I, of all people, should have known that from the “don’t let me eat….” days.

uwdcz5xmnj30.jpeg
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, peanut butter is one of those foods where intuition always gets you in trouble! But yeah, nagging is unlikely to be productive :neutral:
    Imperial measurements do my head in, but isn't that over 10,000 calories per jar? Over two weeks, that's 720kcal of peanut butter per day, yikes!
  • springlering62
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    …isn't that over 10,000 calories per jar? Over two weeks, that's 720kcal of peanut butter per day, yikes!

“….but I eat it on low cal Wasa bread!”

(muttered under my breath as I shush the Diet Nazi in my head)
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    Wondered how BL was doing, it's been a while.
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    You have a talent for making me laugh---not to mention some of your posts conger up some pretty funny head pictures, too!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    "A grey headed possum." That made me laugh! 🤣🤣🤣
  • Mischante
    Mischante Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Part of losing weight means trying new foods, or taking a new look at old ones.

Many people don’t care for sugar-free products. I’ve found them to be a godsend. But you never know what you’ll get.

I add half an ounce of Jordan’s zero-cal chocolate waffle cone syrup to our smoothies, along with some Trader Joe’s cacao powder. It makes them taste like ice cream, which makes them a treat.

Last night we boiled a couple pounds of shrimp. (If you didn’t know, you can have a serious pig out on shrimp for not many calories, and they’re a great protein booster. )

We were looking forward to trying the sugar free cocktail sauce from one of our favorite brands.

Epic fail. It tasted like the ancient bottles of insecticide smelled in my dad’s old shed. Yuck yuck yuck.

BL was vastly disappointed. I didn’t know what to do, so pulled out a lemon and just squirted it on the shrimp.

To our surprise, we really liked the lemon better than any cocktail sauce we’ve had.

So, we’re both still learning.

(Lesson learned: order bulk of products you already know you like to get that free shipping, and only get one bottle of whatever it is you’re wanting to try. I ordered three bottles of this noxious cocktail sauce. 🤦🏻‍♀️)

Have you tried the Swerve brand sugar substitute? The have brown sugar and regular sugar options. They are the best tasting sugar replacement that I've found. You can also bake with them and the ratio is 1:1.
  • springlering62
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Mischante wrote: »
    Part of losing weight means trying new foods, or taking a new look at old ones.

Many people don’t care for sugar-free products. I’ve found them to be a godsend. But you never know what you’ll get.

I add half an ounce of Jordan’s zero-cal chocolate waffle cone syrup to our smoothies, along with some Trader Joe’s cacao powder. It makes them taste like ice cream, which makes them a treat.

Last night we boiled a couple pounds of shrimp. (If you didn’t know, you can have a serious pig out on shrimp for not many calories, and they’re a great protein booster. )

We were looking forward to trying the sugar free cocktail sauce from one of our favorite brands.

Epic fail. It tasted like the ancient bottles of insecticide smelled in my dad’s old shed. Yuck yuck yuck.

BL was vastly disappointed. I didn’t know what to do, so pulled out a lemon and just squirted it on the shrimp.

To our surprise, we really liked the lemon better than any cocktail sauce we’ve had.

So, we’re both still learning.

(Lesson learned: order bulk of products you already know you like to get that free shipping, and only get one bottle of whatever it is you’re wanting to try. I ordered three bottles of this noxious cocktail sauce. 🤦🏻‍♀️)

Have you tried the Swerve brand sugar substitute? The have brown sugar and regular sugar options. They are the best tasting sugar replacement that I've found. You can also bake with them and the ratio is 1:1.

Thanks for the tip. I use granulated sugar so seldom that a bag will last me several years.

I either eliminate it from recipes or use 1/3-1/2 granulated called for in the recipe, supplemented with an appropriate Skinny Syrup flavor.

I made some pretty awesome sugar-free mini apple pies for thanksgiving. Pillsbury had mini-crusts you out in a muffin tin, at 120 calories each.

I peeled and diced some apples, “sautéed“ them til soft in some caramel Skinny Sauce, lemon juice and cinnamon, and spooned it into prebaked pie shells.

I cut together a tablespoon of margarine, cinnamon, some pecan meal, and some plain 5-grain muesli and crumbled it on top of each mini-pie and baked them for about ten minutes.

BL is still hanging in there. I don’t think he’s lost any more (won’t weigh) but he’s “toning up” noticeably. It’s really nice having a partner on the same journey. I nag him, and he hides the nomnoms from me if he sees me overindulging.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    BL made a 750+ calorie breakfast this weekend. Realized his mistake by dinner time. Had enough calories left for the day for a reasonable dinner but that was all of them.

He studied his phone, and then his head popped up. “Hey, can we get some calories if we go for a walk?

He burned over 200 on his walk and I made him a giant smoothie of cashew milk, yogurt, cacao powder, zero calorie waffle cone syrup, and a buttload of ice for about 105.

(You can “buy back” calories via exercise. Many successful MFP users suggest eating back only half your exercise calories, to allow margin of error, especially for new users.)

The next day he thought ahead and planned his calories out for the day. He had nearly 500 left for after dinner, so got another smoothie and a bowl of yogurt cheesecake pudding. And an extra dinner roll, too. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

If I could only convince him to pre-log his meals. That’s been sooooo helpful for me, especially when I need to make changes on the fly. But he’s already reached the “thinking about it” stage, and that’s awesome.

Pre-logging doesn't work for everyone. I feel trapped by it. The moment I pre-log a meal--I don't want that meal in any fashion. Meal prepping makes me crazy. Mine is an aspect of my ADHD. I like structure but I also don't like to be limited. Pre-logging makes me feel limited.

BUT--I do limit the amount of calories for a meal--but I don't pick the foods out. I just have to stay the range.

On shrimp--sometimes I do black pepper. I've done peperoncini pepper juice as well. But honestly--black pepper and garlic works great. You can also hit with lemon. Lemon and black pepper go well together.

:)

Good luck!
  • bubbeE787
    bubbeE787 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How lucky to have such great help and support. I hope I can absorb some inspiration from what you have accomplished!
  • springlering62
    edited February 6
    Options
    Yay to my Beloved!

I told him he’s getting nice definition in his thighs and he preened.

Then he blushing admitted he can feel his adipose ( visceral?) fat shrinking, and he poked and pulled to prove it to me. On one side. He is puzzled and disappointed.

I’d laugh, but I feel for him. It’s always the belly, isn’t it?

Regular exercise has been life changing for us both. I look at him, literally getting younger, while most the other guys at aquafit (my “pool” for comparison) are getting older. He’s not the youngest fellow in the class, but by golly he sure looks like it. 👍🏻

BTW, the last MFP app update obliterated the ability for iOS users to easily share and copy diaries with friends or family. There is a workaround. If anyone needs it, post here and I’ll share screen shots how to do it. 🤦🏻‍♀️