At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Loaf bread now languishes in the drawer, but we’re going through low carb tortillas at a pretty good clip.

A handul of chopped anything in a 45 calorie tortilla is really good for lunch or snacks.

And those tortillas are just fine with Mexican dinners. They taste just like “regular” tortillas.

We like the La Banderita carb smart ones. Dirt cheap at Lidl, and presumably Aldi, but available everywhere. And they stay fresh for weeks and weeks if you can’t make it through a whole bag quickly.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @springlering62 What do you use for your source of microbes in your skyr? Do you add buttermilk, yogurt, or skyr?

I really like the vanilla skyr, but wow, it's expensive. We've made lots of fermented foods, so I think I'll try to make some of this just to save some pennies. It sounds like it's made like what we call "farmer cheese", since it uses rennet.

Also, glad to hear BL is still on track! I've enjoyed following his journey (and yours too!).

Lastly, add me to the low carb tortilla camp. Those are a staple around here. I also like a low carb "veggie bread" my husband found. I think the brand is Oasis and it's only 45 calories per slice. :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My experience with low-carb tortillas is that not only do they taste like sandpaper, blood testing reveals they seem to be lying about being low-carb, since they spike my glucose just as much as regular ones. Sincerely, I believe on the ones I have tried the package info is falsified, since 6 net carbs ordinarily barely registers for me. They seem to be listing everything as fiber when it’s not.

Experimentation has found corn tortillas don’t spike me nearly as much, though, which is a personal thing, someone else might be different.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    +1 on the low carb wraps. I have also just recently discovered the Ole - Xtreme Wellness Wraps (50 calories) which I actually prefer to the flour tortilla type wraps. I havent tried cooking with these yet so not sure I could swap them out for the low carb "flour" type wraps in recipes.

Bread...MMM with you Spring, I could eat the whole loaf and I have... It is a trigger food, and I have caved this week for a couple slices of bakery sour dough, with not good results. Ate the house...GRRR. I have got to stay away from that delicious devil...
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    +1 on the low carb wraps. I have also just recently discovered the Ole - Xtreme Wellness Wraps (50 calories) which I actually prefer to the flour tortilla type wraps. I havent tried cooking with these yet so not sure I could swap them out for the low carb "flour" type wraps in recipes.

Bread...MMM with you Spring, I could eat the whole loaf and I have... It is a trigger food, and I have caved this week for a couple slices of bakery sour dough, with not good results. Ate the house...GRRR. I have got to stay away from that delicious devil...

I use the Ole Xtreme Wellness Wraps in my enchilada lasagna- they’re perfect!
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,539 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a bread eater, except bakery loaves, those I do love. Was buying Sara Lee 35 cal, but it really tastes like cardboard, so why?, I finally concluded. (I also often wonder,, low cal, carb ect stuff, all of it--wth are we ingesting in it that makes it taste good--is that really better for us?, or just a very money making angle for companies?) Wish there was a way (weigh, lol) to get better counts on Walmart bakery loafs of Everything bread. (A 93% burger on it, oh, yum--& HAS to be way lower than a bun). I really love it, and the seasoning makes any eat-on-bread thing taste so good. When I have them slice it, it is very slim, uniform slices, and if I get French, not Italian, it's skinnier than normal bread as well. It SEEMS like, most 35 cal bread ect is actually just much slimmer sliced than others, so I reason that slices of Everything bread are probably not too bad. I also stick it in the freezer,, and just takes out enough for whatever I want it for, so no plowing through a loaf at a time. BUT, I'm sure it's probably made with lower quality higher fat and less whole grain than 'health' breads, so maybe I'm way off base. Welcome any thoughts, suggestions on this.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm eating Ezekial bread. It was the bread recommended to me on the diet program, State of Slim, that I started with. I like it and I'm a hamburger girl, so one slice, cut in half makes a great burger. I honestly haven't paid much attention to the nutritional info on it, just keep adding it to my log.