At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Replies

• fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    @springlering62 "I discovered Tillamook cheeses when I visited the kids in CA last week, but it’s available here in GA. I can’t beleive the difference in taste versus other cheddars. And it’s the same calories. You could easily get away with half a serving, it has so much flavor."
    Sorry I dont know how to highlight your quote?

Anyway, I finally made it to the grocery store tonight and bought the Tillamook extra sharp cheddar. Yes Yes Yes MMGood!. Picked up some Skylar to try also. You @springlering62 are a great resource for new food products.

Thank You so much!
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    @springlering62 I received my Ninja Creami a few days ago. It took some finagling with recipes, but now I am completely enamored with it. I did one with 1 cup of plain skyr, 1 tbsp of allulose, and 1.5 tbsp Walden Farms caramel sauce. It’s like a powdered frozen butterbeer, and I LOVE it. Super refreshing and only 100 calories!

Do you have any fun recipes to share?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    edited February 2022
    EliseTK1 wrote: »
    @springlering62 I received my Ninja Creami a few days ago. It took some finagling with recipes, but now I am completely enamored with it. I did one with 1 cup of plain skyr, 1 tbsp of allulose, and 1.5 tbsp Walden Farms caramel sauce. It’s like a powdered frozen butterbeer, and I LOVE it. Super refreshing and only 100 calories!

Please share more!

And what the heck is allulose?

Here’s four. Pudding mix seems to be the secret ingredient for a really creamy ice cream. Mix on lite, then remix and remix again if needed. The chocolate is terrific with salt on top. I just bought a big jar of flake salt just for ice cream.

Each recipe fills one Jar except the apple, which does two (for four servings). We share a jar per night, so serving size is 1/2 recipe.

The graham crackers are an “add in” after creaming the ice cream.

Also, try just a can of pineapple tidbits in juice and run on sorbet, and then remix. It’s amazing.

swhpltu0cdz9.jpeg
    —————————-
    hxssdxxtkokh.jpeg
    ————————-
    mya5n1wgznbd.jpeg
    ————————-
    p7sc3r44364a.jpeg
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    @springlering62 Excellent! Thank you for sharing. I have a few sugar free pudding packs in the pantry as well as plenty of skyr, so I’ll be trying that today. We tried the pineapple, and it was super similar to Dole Whip which is one of my favorite Disney treats.

Allulose is a very low calorie sweetener. It’s a type of sugar that’s found in nature in small quantities, and our bodies can’t break it down, kind of like a fiber. The things that make it unique are that it’s about 70% the sweetness of sugar (so it’s not overly sweet like some artificial sweeteners) and it behaves a lot like real sugar in baking. It can give your baked goods the right texture without all the calories. It browns at a slightly lower temperature, so you should adjust your baking temps down about 25 degrees F when using it.

My hubs made some peanut butter icing with it because the powdered sugar had gone stale, and it turned out amazing. He ended up using half for the brownies and half to scoop and eat with graham crackers. (He is bulking right now. It’s been an interesting contrast between us in the kitchen.)
  • springlering62
    @springlering62 Excellent! Thank you for sharing. I have a few sugar free pudding packs in the pantry as well as plenty of skyr, so I’ll be trying that today. We tried the pineapple, and it was super similar to Dole Whip which is one of my favorite Disney treats.

Allulose is a very low calorie sweetener. It’s a type of sugar that’s found in nature in small quantities, and our bodies can’t break it down, kind of like a fiber. The things that make it unique are that it’s about 70% the sweetness of sugar (so it’s not overly sweet like some artificial sweeteners) and it behaves a lot like real sugar in baking. It can give your baked goods the right texture without all the calories. It browns at a slightly lower temperature, so you should adjust your baking temps down about 25 degrees F when using it.

My hubs made some peanut butter icing with it because the powdered sugar had gone stale, and it turned out amazing. He ended up using half for the brownies and half to scoop and eat with graham crackers. (He is bulking right now. It’s been an interesting contrast between us in the kitchen.)

Wait. Sugar goes stale?

I use dry sugar free pudding mix. It gives “body” to the ice cream. I’ve got a much lower calorie version of the apple pie ice cream freezing for tonight.
  • springlering62
    edited February 2022
    I’ve been reviewing by a few peoples’ diaries lately (by request). Relatives, other MFP‘ers .

Make sure you’re careful logging. And don’t pick the first entry you see. If there’s a ton, either Google for usda or choose one that’s in the middle.

If you choose an entry that says Hershey’s Chocolate Bar 15 calories (and I’ve seen that) you’re only fooling yourself.

I saw an entry for Shepherd’s Pie that looked odd. The user chose someone else’s entry, presumably a recipe someone had entered. They had no idea what was in it and probably overcharged themselves.

Someone had found an entry for 6 oz of shrimp at 18 calories. Ummm, if true, I’d invest in a shrimp boat.

This morning I went to look up sirloin top round steak and found everything from 4 oz for 100 calories to 400 calories per ounce. Yikes! That’s quite a range.

Someone had charged themselves 150 grams of cheese spread because they didn’t feel like dirtying a dish to weight it. That was several hundred calories above what they actually ate, but didn’t notice til I asked if they were sure they’d eaten over five servings.

If you’re weighing something sticky or messy, you don’t have to dirty up dishes: either put the product container OR your plate on your scale and zero it (this is called “tare”).

If removing product from a container, the negative weight is the portion you’ve used.

If adding product to your plate, the additional weight is the portion you’ve used.

This may sound ridiculously obvious, but for me, beginning it wasn’t. I would carefully pull out plates and bowls and dump stuff on them to weigh.

Your scale should have a tare button.

Also, learn your equivalencies so you can be more accurate. 15 gr is a tablespoon of most products. 240 gr is a rough fluid equivalent of a cup.

An ounce is generally 28 grams.

When you get to things like flour, sugar, cornmeal etc, they vary. Simply ask Siri or Alexa for a quick response.

If I ask my Apple Watch, I have an answer in less than a second:

41dczek4wor3.png
    jx3tadnjk34b.png

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

I had never heard of allulose, so I looked it up, and the research is very interesting. It appears to not only not raise blood sugar in diabetics but also improve the metabolism of other glucose consumed with a meal. I absolutely hate the taste of most sweeteners, so I’ll have to try it. Thanks for the info.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Learning about the tare button has made a big difference for me. I'm still trying to figure out the grams conversion to ounces. Asking Siri will make a huge difference. Great tips! Now I just need to add a Creami to the wish list. :)
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    28-30g per (dry) oz is the primary conversion you need, maybe that plus the first few multiples of 28. Fluid oz are not the same thing - I consult Google when I can't find an entry with a mass measurement for a liquid or when the grams entry for a liquid looks sus. Like, a tablespoon of water or chicken broth weighs 15g, but oil is about 13g and change per tbsp, so even if I'm weighing out my 15 grams of oil, if I'm using an entry with volumetric portion sizes, I'm shorting myself by about 20 calories if I log it as "1 tbsp." Not much if it happens once, but do that every day for a month and that's 600 calories unaccounted for.

Grams = Dry Ounces
    28 g = 1 oz
    56 g = 2 oz
    85 g = 3 oz
    113 g = 4 oz (~1/2 cup)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    On a semi-related note, it annoys me no end that Canadian-made ice cream is only quantified as a volume measurement, usually 1/2 cup or 125 ml. How imprecise!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    He’s down 28 pounds since last visit. While still inside “obese” BMI range, his A1C reading is so vastly improved he can go completely off diabetes med.

His blood pressure is down so much that if he’ll send a daily report to the doctors office, they expect to be able to take him off BP meds in 4-6 weeks.

Congrats to him!!! That has to be so rewarding for him to see tangible results for all his effort!
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Yes! Down in weight AND getting to say goodbye to some meds? That's just fantastic! Even if this thread annoys him, send him our Congratulations anyway! <3
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member

Please share more!

And what the heck is allulose?

Here’s four. Pudding mix seems to be the secret ingredient for a really creamy ice cream. Mix on lite, then remix and remix again if needed. The chocolate is terrific with salt on top. I just bought a big jar of flake salt just for ice cream.

Each recipe fills one Jar except the apple, which does two (for four servings). We share a jar per night, so serving size is 1/2 recipe.

The graham crackers are an “add in” after creaming the ice cream.

Also, try just a can of pineapple tidbits in juice and run on sorbet, and then remix. It’s amazing.

Just a drive by check in. I read this thread most days but don't post often. The pudding comment intrigued me, though. I have a full fat homemade vanilla ice cream recipe from my mom. It also calls for a box of vanilla pudding mix. I've made it several times - sometimes with pudding mix - sometimes without. I didn't notice any difference, but the ice cream is very rich anyway. Would like to compare side by side, but I don't need two gallons of homemade ice cream in the freezer. HAHA!😁🍨🍨
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    @springlering62, it just occurred to me: Your husband maybe is now an internet-influencer-by-proxy!

I'm sorry that the existence of this thread annoys him (for his sake), but maybe it's a little counterbalance that he's having a good effect on others without investing of his own personal effort in that?

This is a great thread: Like I've said before, kind of a fun travelogue view of weight-management methods and success!