BB Curl 3x12
    Alternating DB Curl 3x12
    DB Shrug 3x12
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    My second strength session with my trainer this week. bunch of weighted movements, some done on BOSU ball.

Unless it's ab work, I dislike the BOSU ball, and anytime I see somebody standing on one and trying to lift I absolutely abhor it!

Understand your comment: I should elaborate:

Today, I did several movements on the BOSU: First was single arm chest presses while holding a bridge pose with both feet on the ground, 90 degree bend in knees and my upper back resting on the BOSU. Works both chest and challenges your core. I then did a rear foot elevated split squat, holding a dumbbell in the same side as the foot that was placed behind me on the BOSU. 90 % of my weight was on my front(stable) leg. Finally, I used the BOSU for pushups. BOSU was held with the round side down and I did the pushups by holding the flat side and doing the movement. No safety concerns, since my trainer is very conservative, particularly given my age and lousy balance.

I have seen people doing what you describe and agree, it's a chance for a falling weight or an injury. My "favorite" movement (it's a love hate thing) for total body work that challenges balance is the Turkish Get Up. I'm guessing you've done them before, given your experience. It's a complex movement and takes practice (with a spotter) until you get very solid executing the 5-6 steps to complete both the up and down movements.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike, 15k + 3' CD. Heart rate running low for some reason today (resting rate hit 46 overnight), so more Z2 (54%) than Z3 (43%) this workout despite slightly higher average watts (111). Bodies are weird.

I made a stab at a few dead hangs (short) and hanging knee raises, plus some chin-up negatives (pathetically challenging).

P.S. Some on-water rowers do odd things on Bosu balls or even exercise balls as a core/balance challenge, often involving weights. One rowing obsessively competitive rower guy I knew had trained standing balance on a stability ball. That's extreme, but there is a point: The racing singles demand good balance through core stability, since they're usually around 12" (31 cm) wide at the waterline. Some of them won't sit upright in the water by themselves (without a rower and oars),
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited January 5
    Options
    Today was one of my physio workout days. Between them, my hip problems and my ankle problems keep me busy…

Knee to wall stretches 3*10
    Single leg standing calf raises 3*10
    Ankle inversion/eversion 3*10
    Seated calf raises with 10kg weight, 3*6 (it ought to be 20kg, but I darn near killed myself carrying the 10kg dumbbell home from the shop so I’m not anxious to repeat the experience)
    Side leg raises 2*10
    Single leg hip lifts (feet on stool) 2*10
    Step ups 2*10 (except the second set was aborted halfway due to a sudden quad issue. I hate the injury week of my menstrual cycle)

…and then since I was on a roll, I added in some downward upward dogs, knee press-ups, arm circles, bicep curls, tricep dips, leg raises and sit-ups, and finished off with some hamstring stretches, yoga twists and tree pose for a nice all-round workout.

Then I went for a walk.

Doing that little lot three times a week is one of the things that enables me to run without pain. Well, without physical-damage-type pain, the ‘when does this muddy uphill end’ pain is ever-present :)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    Five mile walk "in the park" near my house. It's about 400 acres - actually two adjacent parks. There's riparian forest, restoration forest that used to be a farm that's finally old enough to feel like a forest, sports fields, and more. I can walk over 10K without really retracing steps on the fairly extensive trail system. I can access the trails less than a third of a mile from my front door, and it used to be a regular activity.

I haven't done a walk in that park since June. I think it's because I don't like to go when the weather is nice and it gets crowded. There were a few people because we had a break in the rain, but not so many as when it's gorgeous outside. Well, that and during the great weather I was going farther afield to hike up mountains or paddle a canoe or kayak or row a raft. I reckon it will go back in to my routine.

I planned to go to the gym today for the first time of the year during a normally less-crowded time, but they sent an e-mail yesterday saying all the water in the facility will be off so they can repair a leak. I'll find something else to do - maybe a hike up a local hill with good views because we have another break in the rain that might even provide "sun breaks." We also call those "sucker holes." You might look out and see that it's sunny and leave your raincoat at home.... Sucker.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Cardio: Snow shoveling and ice chipping - 30 minutes

Weights: Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    BB RDL 3x10
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend 3x15
    Roman Chair Knee-Ups 4x15

I've decided to pull the RDL from my second leg day each week, given I already hammer my hamstrings and glutes on my heavy day.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Understand your comment: I should elaborate:

Today, I did several movements on the BOSU:

Ok, now I'm on-board with what you did and am cool with it.
    My "favorite" movement (it's a love hate thing) for total body work that challenges balance is the Turkish Get Up. I'm guessing you've done them before, given your experience.

I have, though admittedly not often enough to become comfortable with them. I've tried DB's, kettle bells, and the worst one of all, kettle bells held by the ring keeping the weight ABOVE the hand. Thanks, but I'll just stick to traditional weight lifting.
  • mtaratoot
    edited January 6
    Options
    Hiking again. This one was kind of three loops on a trail system in the coast range foothills not far from home. About 4.8 miles with total ascent about 630 feet.

I had planned a much shorter hike. It was a gorgeous sunny late morning. I went to the post office to get my mail, then passed a parking area for a lower access to go get closer to the top for a short hike with awesome views. Before I even got to the trailhead, I was in a cloud. I didn't want to waste a rare sunny day, so I drove back to the lower trailhead and did a longer hike. It wasn't THAT crowded except down low on the paved path and one of the other paths on the flats. There were still some good views, and I saw some fun fungus and had time among the trees. I think I walked down a trail I haven't done before, or not in a long time. I didn't remember it, and I was in awe of a Madrone tree I saw that was about a 29" dbh. Amazing. I also saw some invasive species; I want to write a grant to pay me to go remove those plants. Mostly I want to work with a local agency I know to help me get permission to go do it; the pay will be a bonus, and I could sure use it.

f67amfns9hxf.png

ihpbpt4uq5zq.png

rfrdkyialod7.jpg

• AnnPT77
    Options
    Rowing machine, 3 x 2k with 2' row in/out between and a 3' CD. 7257 pseudo-meters total including a false start. Slightly faster pace, negative splitting the 2ks at 2:27.4, 2:24.7, 2:23.4 pace, resulting in 44% Z4, 39% Z3, remainder below. Around the last thousand meters of the final 2k, HR was above 220 minus age. :D

Followed up with 3 very light supersets of 15 reps of dumbbell overhead press, bench press, fly, tricep extension. Increased the weights a bit vs. last time, and added a set, but still mostly seeing how the range of motion feels, given last year's adventures with shoulder impingement.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Here are a coupe of pictures from the Via Ferrata. The first is the wire bridge, where I went too slowly initially. That caused a lot of wobble; it got a lot better when I speeded up after that.

v6nhifbv7bbb.jpeg

The second is on the rock; that was all very chilled out. All the climbing was easy. There were a couple of ovehangs, but they were no harder than v1. I'm the one looking and smiling.

h68u71319xgk.jpeg

I went climbing on Thursday. It was an odd session. I got nearly all the v3s at the gym (around 20 of them). I flashed about half, but the one I found hardest took around 20 goes. I only got one v4, which was so slabby it probably doesn't count.

• nossmf
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    I only got one v4, which was so slabby it probably doesn't count.

The shakiest deadlift still counts if you manage to pull all the way up. I think the same logic applies here.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Just another walk in the park. About 4.44 miles.

It was raining pretty good when I left. I got a half block away and thought it would be a good time to check my gutters to see if they needed attention. They did. I put up the ladder, climbed up, cleaned 'em out, came down, put the ladder back, changed my gloves, and headed off. I shouldn't have been surprised that there were plenty of cars in the parking lot at the park and plenty of people walking in the rain. I only saw one umbrella. I even saw a twosome playing disc golf. It is that time of year; liquid sunshine doesn't keep us in.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I went climbing on Saturday. I didn't really warm up, and by a strange coincidence I was really bad for the first hour or so. I then improved massively, flashed a load of v3s; and got loads of v4s. I cheated on one (you start at a strand angle with your left foot on the same hold as the left hand). I couldn't immediately get my foot there, so I used another hold en route. (This is fairly minor cheating, but cheating nonentheless). I think I got 5 v4s if you include the cheat.

I went swimming on Sunday, doing 1 mile quite slowly; and then did a short hike.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    Machine Decline Press 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 5x5
    Cable Woodchoppers 3x10 (High, Cross, Low)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    We were stuck indoors due to the snow storm in NY, so I rode my daughter's Peloton for 60 minutes yesterday. I must admit, the class was fun. Basic Z2-3 endurance blocks which were just challenging enough as I get back in the saddle. I'd forgotten how popular the Peloton app has become. Yesterday it was just me and 1015 of my closest friends, lol.

Back to outdoor walking today and an early gym session tomorrow.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    Disc golf. Eighteen holes. I suck, so eleven over isn't that bad. In fact, it's one less stroke than my last round which was all the way back in October. I could blame the knee-high neoprene boots a size too big, the warm jacket and raincoat, and maybe even the gloves on part of it, but no - I'm just not that good.

I came home without losing any discs; that's always nice. Now that there's no more brightly colored leaves, my pink and orange discs show up well as do my bright green ones. I want to go play some other courses, but not sure I'll play much during the cold weather. Maybe. Once I got moving, I warmed up pretty good. But I was alone - playing with others means it goes a little slower.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Skipped a couple of days, instead of just the one rest day: Super busy day Saturday and half of Sunday, super tired later Sunday and fell asleep very, very early.

Today, just some stationary bike, 15k + 3' CD, 114W average for 38:12 (including the CD), just 3:52 low Z4, 28:05 Z3, remainder below.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 5x5 <superset> Leg Press Calf Extend 5x15
    Cable Crunch 4x10
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    The usual nonsense, rowing machine edition: 3 x 2k on, 2' row out/in (and a slug of water, wipe sweat), 3' CD at the end. Total 7053m in 36:54 overall, 2:27.4 average pace/20spm on the pieces. 6:50 Z4, 21:18 Z3, remainder below.

Then a circuit of upper-body push-ish dumbbell stuff, still really light weights to recondition a little.
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    shoulders, abs and bike intervals between work sets