Random Thought For the Day

Options

Replies

• jbs116
    jbs116 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I wonder what the origin of naming American football 🏈 is? Maybe because the game begins with a kick? Kicking is maybe 10% of the game, and is anything else that isn't round called a ball?

I am here for alternative names. Tackle Turf? Touchdown Match? Concussion Combat?
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    jbs116 wrote: »
    I wonder what the origin of naming American football 🏈 is? Maybe because the game begins with a kick? Kicking is maybe 10% of the game, and is anything else that isn't round called a ball?

I am here for alternative names. Tackle Turf? Touchdown Match? Concussion Combat?

I usually go for the tried and true sportsball even though it takes a good stretch of the imagination to call that a ball
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,592 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was a little girl,
    seeing the body count on the evening news.
    That’s normally when my parents told me to leave the room.
    That was Vietnam.
    It was horrifying to see that number every night on the news.

These days, people act like it’s all a game and the numbers are just game lives.

Sad 😔
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    That was Vietnam.

These days, people act like it’s all a game and the numbers are just game lives.

Sad 😔

I feel like the news is so constant our empathy just can’t keep up. It is exhausting and heartbreaking at best and numbing at worst
  • HungryCatapilar24
    HungryCatapilar24 Posts: 43 Member
    edited January 12
    Options
    Day 2 of 2024 and no zombie apocalypse or alien invasion, Im kind of disappointed 😁
    You just wanted probing as usual😁😜
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    That was Vietnam.

Sad 😔

I feel like the news is so constant our empathy just can’t keep up. It is exhausting and heartbreaking at best and numbing at worst

In our day we only saw the news at 6 and 10 pm right - now it’s in our pocket whenever we want - and media is a business so “if it bleeds it leads” As that gets more eyeballs which means more money for them which unfortunately - we can’t help but look at the wreck when we go by - human nature I guess - also on an unrelated topic - you ever realize how most junk food is marketed to children - with the goofy commercials and what not - you think that’s because as children we don’t have the critical thinking to realize that they push the junk to keep you sick so they can sell you the meds for the cure - and by the time most figure it out it too late or they don’t care - hell I’m just figuring it out at 44 - ok rant over 😂
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    That was Vietnam.

Sad 😔

In our day we only saw the news at 6 and 10 pm right - now it’s in our pocket whenever we want - and media is a business so “if it bleeds it leads” As that gets more eyeballs which means more money for them which unfortunately - we can’t help but look at the wreck when we go by - human nature I guess - also on an unrelated topic - you ever realize how most junk food is marketed to children - with the goofy commercials and what not - you think that’s because as children we don’t have the critical thinking to realize that they push the junk to keep you sick so they can sell you the meds for the cure - and by the time most figure it out it too late or they don’t care - hell I’m just figuring it out at 44 - ok rant over 😂
    And as if the real news weren’t bad enough, media outlets, purposely make everything sound worse and more polarizing than it has to be. Rage farming.

I don’t see a lot of commercials so I’m not sure what goes on anymore or why I’m not so exposed to it. When I was a kid we were on the poor side for a while because my mom was a single parent and in nursing school etc. so we ate a lot of oatmeal and a lot of powdered milk and didn’t really have boxed cereals or things like that.

for some reason, those commercials never really spoke to me. Probably because I knew we couldn’t afford to eat like that. Now if you want to talk about those Barbie fashion plates, and those cosmetic heads made for kids… Those I lusted after.
  • cowsfan12
    Options
    That was Vietnam.

Sad 😔

And as if the real news weren’t bad enough, media outlets, purposely make everything sound worse and more polarizing than it has to be. Rage farming.

I don’t see a lot of commercials so I’m not sure what goes on anymore or why I’m not so exposed to it. When I was a kid we were on the poor side for a while because my mom was a single parent and in nursing school etc. so we ate a lot of oatmeal and a lot of powdered milk and didn’t really have boxed cereals or things like that.

for some reason, those commercials never really spoke to me. Probably because I knew we couldn’t afford to eat like that. Now if you want to talk about those Barbie fashion plates, and those cosmetic heads made for kids… Those I lusted after.

I just remember Saturday morning cartoons - the cereal commercials and Twinkie and soda all were on - and when my Children watched Nick and cartoon ntwk it was the same thing - I’m sure it’s diffent now with all the streaming and we can skip commercials but I’m sure the marketing to still geared that way - it’s insane to me that I’ve never cared or realized before - live and learn amirite?
  • This_far
    This_far Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    That was Vietnam.

Sad 😔

If the barbie fashion plates were the interchangeable plastic squares that had head, torso and legs that you'd put a piece of paper over and take a pencil or crayon rubbing of, then my sisters had them. They held on to them and my daughter and niece both played with them. That's like 40 years worth of enjoyment.
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    That was Vietnam.

Sad 😔

When i was a kid, the news was whatever went around the neighborhood. My family didnt even speak english and there was no SAP button on the TV back then. Politics and all that kind of stuff were for white people so i had no idea who was who or what was what outside of my little world until i left the projects for the Marine Corp. By the time i started understanding a little bit of what was going on in the news and the country, i didnt even care. My life was always the same, no matter who was in office or what was on the news. I lived in a hellish place as a kid, but i wonder sometimes, was it better to live in the dark....naive and unaware just living life the best you can.....or living completely informed and frustrated....just living the best you can.
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    In some situations,
    ignorance is bliss.
    🤷🏼‍♀️
  • cowsfan12
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    That was Vietnam.

Sad 😔

When i was a kid, the news was whatever went around the neighborhood. My family didnt even speak english and there was no SAP button on the TV back then. Politics and all that kind of stuff were for white people so i had no idea who was who or what was what outside of my little world until i left the projects for the Marine Corp. By the time i started understanding a little bit of what was going on in the news and the country, i didnt even care. My life was always the same, no matter who was in office or what was on the news. I lived in a hellish place as a kid, but i wonder sometimes, was it better to live in the dark....naive and unaware just living life the best you can.....or living completely informed and frustrated....just living the best you can.

Same for me when I was kid - I didn’t care one way or the other - i still just live as best I can for me and mine - just wish I hs developed and in health fitness nutrition as a youngun - better late than never
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    That was Vietnam.

Sad 😔

Same for me when I was kid - I didn’t care one way or the other - i still just live as best I can for me and mine - just wish I hs developed and in health fitness nutrition as a youngun - better late than never

Yeah maybe....but you are one of the chillest cool cats around here. Maybe too much of that fitnessing as a youngster might have changed that....magbe not....👍
  • ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    The SR-71 would sometimes get black streaks on its windshield during very high altitude flight. They eventually figured out it was ants and other insects that had been launched into the atmosphere during Chinese and Russian nuclear tests...carried high around the world in jetstreams.
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    The SR-71 would sometimes get black streaks on its windshield during very high altitude flight. They eventually figured out it was ants and other insects that had been launched into the atmosphere during Chinese and Russian nuclear tests...carried high around the world in jetstreams.

Seriously, is this a fact?
    So bizarre 🤓
  • ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

Seriously, is this a fact?
    So bizarre 🤓

Apparently...Yeah, it's so weird lol.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/theaviationgeekclub.com/after-an-a-12-flight-specks-of-insects-hoisted-from-the-atomic-test-explosions-in-russia-and-china-were-found-on-the-oxcart-windshield/
    ‘A weird thing was that after a (A-12) flight the windshields often were pitted with tiny black dots, like burn specks. We couldn’t figure out what it was.’ Norman Nelson CIA’s engineer inside the Skunk Works.
  • nonchalantxo
    nonchalantxo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Shall I make another sugary filled coffee?
    Yes?
    OK🤤
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    f5avrnu00p8d.jpeg
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    That was Vietnam.

Sad 😔

I have memories of a similar thing, but they are rarely random.

My mother did her best to not allow us to see any Vietnam war coverage on TV, so we didn't watch the news much during that period of time. One night I came out to get a drink of water or something and found my mother watching the news, fighting back tears to hide them from me the best she could. That was the first time I fully realized how life was where my father was at the time.

And though we were raised in a strict environment, the more I understood what he went through as a fairly young man, the less I questioned why instilling certain traits in us was so important to him. And this continued as he aged, including extended family.

I last visited his grave in May with my daughter, and I can assure you that those family members visiting at Arlington will never just see a number and not reflect on the consequences of that number.
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    That was Vietnam.

Sad 😔

I have memories of a similar thing, but they are rarely random.

My mother did her best to not allow us to see any Vietnam war coverage on TV, so we didn't watch the news much during that period of time. One night I came out to get a drink of water or something and found my mother watching the news, fighting back tears to hide them from me the best she could. That was the first time I fully realized how life was where my father was at the time.

And though we were raised in a strict environment, the more I understood what he went through as a fairly young man, the less I questioned why instilling certain traits in us was so important to him. And this continued as he aged, including extended family.

I last visited his grave in May with my daughter, and I can assure you that those family members visiting at Arlington will never just see a number and not reflect on the consequences of that number.

Lovely post.
    Your father served in the Vietnam War,
    mine in WWII.
    That God for men like our fathers.☺️