WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Teddy got his Spring haircut today. Most of it anyway, there are always touch-ups. It will help the vet find his lumps. Crocus are blooming too! Spring is coming!

Annie in Delaware
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Allie--Hair cut and color looks nice
    Katiebug--Sending prayers that your visit goes well and your mom can see her sister.
    So glad that it is Friday. Not a lot planned for the weekend. Church on Sunday and DH is going to be a men's outing with our church on Saturday. So I plan to work on photo boxes, I am up to 2016. Am enjoying looking at the pictures of when the kids were little.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Joy - how close is your closest neighbor? Miles and miles away? Do you and your DH ever have plans to move closer to a town or city? I still miss the wide open farmland where I grew up in Indiana. Other than traffic on the road sometimes, it was pretty quiet.

Sara from Parkland County, AB - you've got it. :) Tell us more about yourself and jump into any conversation that appeals to you.

Kay - perhaps your mom's aunt's daughter (mom's cousin?) is dreading it because she's having health issues herself or is just plain overwhelmed. Wondering if she should bake something, clean the house, on and on..... I know the feeling. I'm with you. "Surprise" visits when specifically asked not to come is really pushing it. But, if your sisters and mom are bound and determined to stop in for a surprise visit, hopefully they'll consider stopping at a store and bringing a nice pie, some ice cream, paper plates and plastic cutlery.

Lisa - glad you'll be able to see your friend. Even though it will be a quick trip this time. :p

Rebecca - so nice all of your boys will be together soon and be able to see their grandmother too. Hopefully when the baby gets older Athena and family can travel north to visit you on Whidbey.

What I remember about the total eclipse here in the PNW several years ago is how the birds went eerily silent with the darkness and the street lights came on for about half an hour. I was in town at the time doing some Master Gardener work, stood on the sidewalk with the MG manager and secretary and just took it all in. I can understand how ancient people thought it was some kind of spiritual event. Maybe that's why people are drawn to it.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

We were actually here on Whidbey, when the total eclipse occurred. We were walking down Pioneer street, looking at the shadows of the eclipse on the sidewalk etc . it was weirdly fascinating. It put humanity in its proper priority, that we are but a passenger on this planet. The planets dance with the sun and moon. It made me feel very insignificant.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Reading along. Sending everyone love and hugs.
    My legs have been hurting today, so I'm not very talkative. :/

Edie is coming over tomorrow morning and having lunch with us. That will help the aches. :p

Lisa - My acrylic painting of Edie was so bad I have hidden it. I will gesso over it and start again. I think I need to do more freestyle out of my head. Unfortunately the Matisse I have in my head does not materialise on the canvas. :p

I am going to give my legs a rest tomorrow, using Edie as the excuse. I think they deserve a day off.

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Heather hope you feel better!

Annie in Delaware
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 32sec, 26elev, 2.98ap, 79ahr, 96mhr, 6.08mi= 565c
    Strava app= 745c
    Walk home to gym- 11.08min, .53mi= 56c
    Strava app= 66c
    Indoor spin bike at gym- 30min, gear12, 122ahr, 151mhr, 8.5mi= 276c
    Walk gym to home- 12.13min, .56mi= 52c
    Strava app= 69c

Total cal 949
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Beth - good luck at the cochlear implant surgeon's appointment.

Kay - sounds like a good plan with the visit to your great-aunt. I wonder if your mom will hear from the aunt's daughter beforehand to get more details - to see if aunt was telling the truth or is having a questionable memory due to dementia. Hope the weather is good for the drive.

Michele - have a safe drive to Florida.

Kylia - glad to hear your DH's mood is better. Sounds like a busy weekend coming up for you with bills, tax prep and the Super Bowl get-together. I don't plan to watch it but might check in to see if the Budweiser horses are still in the ads.

Annie - sounds like good spring-like weather at your house and good job on Teddy's haircut. ;) Every time we get a nice nice day with sunshine here my mood and energy seem to go sky-high. I'm ready for more of them, lol. We've had snow in March before so I'm not getting my hopes up, but the longer days are helping.

Vicki - do you have another new hire lined up to take the place of the one that didn't work out? Your photo boxes sound like fun - so nice being able to see your kids when they were littles. Good memories. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Good morning ladies!

Machka I spend too much time sitting around waiting for the clock to move. Plenty of thinking time. It suits me that way, although I have to be careful not to get stuck in a criticism rut. For example, sometimes I focus on why my father annoys me, which is not a helpful question.

Have a great day my friends!

Annie in Delaware

I can't imagine sitting around waiting for the clock to move! It happens occasionally when I'm in a long lecture or a seminar session that doesn't have much to do with my work or interest. But most of the time I look at the clock ... get involved in whatever I'm doing ... and discover that several hours have passed and I'm running out of time!!

Is there something you'd really like to be doing?

Machka in Oz

back when my FIL was alive, MIL would make dinner at 5:00 each evening. Even if he was hungry earlier, she would say, "No Louie. It's not 5:00" and point to the clock. One evening she looked at us and said " I sure hope that darn clock doesn't break"
    :
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited February 10
    Options
    @Dia_R - That's how we allow ourselves to derail is looking so far ahead. Don't look at that... make small goals! Like losing two or three pounds in February. Don't look at "only" doing eight minutes this morning, look at "getting to do" nine minutes tomorrow and breaking your record. The more you can stay in the moment, the less you will start using those negative tapes that we've all dealt with at one time or another. You didn't put the weight on in one week, and you're not going to pull it off in one week, either...

One effective hack is to get off the scale if you can, and only weigh once a week, or even less. Please note, I haven't been able to do that, I weigh every day. However, I have convinced myself that only Monday mornings are my "official," weigh in, and that allows me to let the individual days slide by without getting too het up about it.

You can do this!
    Lisa in AR

I also weigh every day, but Saturdays are my "official" days. By weighing every day I can see that my weight bobs up and down throughout the week and then drops on Saturday mornings.

Dia_R wrote: »
    I am huffing and puffing after working out with a video on TV for a grand total of eight minutes. My husband walked the dog around the block earlier this morning, and our step count is equivalent.

I have been logging every bite for the last week, and although I have felt deprived every single day, the scale hasn’t changed an ounce. I have so far to go, and it feels like I’m not making progress.

Discouraging!
    Dia_R wrote: »
    After whining here this morning, I stepped on the scale and found I'd dropped another 0.9pounds for this week, down 5 pounds since re-starting in January. So I guess I am making progress after all. :)

When I start focusing on losing weight, it usually takes me a couple weeks before my body joins the plan and actually starts losing weight!

It usually takes me about 5 weeks before I start noticing anything significant.

You are making progress! In data (my area), if you look at a limited timeframe, you won't see the trends ... you've got to look at the big picture, as you've done, to realise you've lost 5 lbs!!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited February 10
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    When I was studying for my Masters in Healthcare IT, I did research on how Insurance, costs, and pharmaceuticals influence the cost of healthcare AND the way medical personal are allowed to do things. Doesn’t matter where you are, these 3 things influence the cost to the ones who run the medical facilities (private, non-private, government run, non-profit, for profit, etc.) It is a shame how money runs the world, not intelligence.

I didn't realise you had a Masters in Healthcare IT ... kind of my area too. :)

M in Oz

Programming was the only course I had trouble with. The others were not so bad. Got both and ended with a 3.8 GPA for each. I have a MHIT, and MBA. Got them both through University of Phoenix online. I started one for Adult Education but never finished it. Couldn’t afford it any more. I always wanted to get a Doctorate, just to say I did it, but haven’t done it ….. Yet…

RVRita

Well done! And who knows!

I got my MITS (Master of Information Technology Systems) in 2020 and have mainly been working in Healthcare data.

In my MITS, I focused on data, databases, and knowledge management.

When I finished, I wasn't going to go any further with formal education because I was so tired. But the other day, I caught myself thinking about a Doctorate. :open_mouth:

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    Machka, I read an article this morning about beekeepers in Saskatchewan. Apparently their bees are getting active outside the hives due to the unusual warm weather. They are concerned about what is going to happen when the cold returns.

Joy

I bet they would be concerned! Hopefully the bees would just return to the nice warm hives.

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Rita - just wanted to let you know that my husband was thrilled to hear about National Read in the Bathtub Day. :joy: He's taking advantage...