WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    Rita - just wanted to let you know that my husband was thrilled to hear about National Read in the Bathtub Day. :joy: He's taking advantage...

t49eruvlrcek.png

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    edited February 10
    Options
    Today is: Movie Day, which I plan on taking full advantage of today. Lots more below:

xilh9obpynhk.jpeg
    0tbu4sv13hx5.jpeg

znzeuuyc3is6.jpeg
    jeghdcv1a92b.jpeg
    n81tzyoexzol.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Annie - I know it’s been hard for you to have outside activities with caring for your Mom & Dad but is there anything you can do that piques your interest in the house? Waiting for the time to go doesn’t seem like it would be very fun or healthy.

Lisa - sounds like a productive couple of days for you coming up.

Beth - I would think the cochlear implant would be exciting if nerve-wracking.

Dia_r - I don’t let the scale dictate what I’m doing, I’m saying that I do weigh daily, but keep an average over a week and a month. When I was actively losing it seemed that the scale never budged for long periods, but my pants felt better and that was an encouragement.

Rita - this nine year old can solve a cube in 25 seconds! I never could either. I didn’t have the patience to figure it out I guess.
    They were saying it’s Pizza Day on the radio this morning. I think that will be supper.

Joy - that is scary about the bees. Thanks for confirming.

Kaitlyn came to help me paint today she showed me a video of a lady that put a cross stitch pattern blown up to paint it on her nursery walls. What a beautiful thing it turned out to be. I’ll have to ask her to send me a link. It was beautiful.

Heather - I will be needing to rest by back and feet by Monday for sure. Tomorrow shouldn’t be too bad.

We managed to get two coats on in 8 hours, that included all the taping as well.
    Kaitlyn did the hallway with white and the dark blue on the back of the cabinets. I did all of the light blue.

Tomorrow we have one more wall and the beam over the sink to do.

I even painted my little ceiling above the sink blue.

ular6q8vgc1k.jpeg
    s07mf7zp08fp.jpeg
    7ixrgf6dqvkg.jpeg

The before:
    jxsfcjqkot10.jpeg
    yiaykh0cp544.jpeg
    s0dxnrqsgs6o.jpeg
    hxaajqy9sar2.jpeg
    5bynn1ut2lal.jpeg
    yoizx2z7wkf5.jpeg
    28tutg4s5csg.jpeg
    3ebcsbwau81h.jpeg
    safqinhc0p54.jpeg

Love the color!

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Tracey - Wanted to say that I love the blue in your kitchen, it's a lovely, cool color, very inviting to me.

Heather - I like your pastel flowers... thanks for the reminder that I'm not alone in my self-critical assessments. *sigh* If they would just turn out like they do in my head, they'd all be wonderful! :smiley: Have they been able to get you in to see a physical therapist? You're hurting an awful lot these days, it seems.

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Tracey that blue is beautiful! Great job! And yes we like the extra pictures too!

Annie in Delaware
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited February 10
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: Break in the rain means can take Shadow to dog group for the first time in weeks? Months? Happy dance!
    Friday’s gratitude: Rumiano’s butter. :naughty:
    Thursday’s gratitude: Joe was able to wait for Jeep to be repaired so morning routine not disrupted. Took advantage and did both wii balance games and PT.
    Machka Thanks! “Ours is very simple. My stuff goes to him. His stuff comes to me.” Then what? What if you’re both killed in a car accident at the same time? A concern here as HWY199 can be treacherous.
    Heather Hooray for Johnny and others who persuaded the council. “Less expectation, less uncertainty, less guesswork. Peace.” Ah that’s the best!
    Welcome @ gettingfitinmenopause Rach in B’ham! Great February plans!
    Michelle in NV Con VERY gratulations on kicking Dr. Pepper. As you gradually decrease the amount of juice in your soda you can kick that too. Is there Trader Joe’s near you? They have a variety of flavored, unsweetened, zerocalorie bubble waters. My favorite is Mandarin Cranberry. Your soups look beautiful but now I’m craving beer cheese soup ;{
    Lisa I could have used that sign. Often thought I should fashion some kind of hat to put on when I was deep into involved problemsolving to warn people off from interrupting. Alas, they usually got my RBF :naughty: Thanks for that “add art to your life” link. You described me to a T.
    Annie would you consider asking the MD’s office to sent lab results?
    Lanette you called it. Shop wanted to change powersteering system? For $$$, Joe stopped at BiMart, got some fresh fluid, siphoned old out and put new in, bingo bango no squeak <$10. He plans to “flush” it again so any residual is purged. He’s happy with the Jeep… again ;) Smart hens! That’s Joe’s plan too :laugh:
    Rita what you said about healthcare.
    IMHO Back in the day when hospitals were either county or faith based they weren’t so much under the thumb of the pharmaceutical/medical equipment industry/Federal Medicare regulations. For-profit healthcare results in best care for the 1% and less care for the rest of us.
    :love: the saucer cloud pic.
    Tina “move more better” yup, that’s the plan. Thanks!
    Joy I thought we were rural, but we’re positively urban compared to your area. Two grocery stores seems to be a thing, Brookings (pop 6500, 5 miles south), Gold Beach (pop 1500, 20 mi north) are in the two grocery stores club. Crescent City (30 mi south) has 3, Safeway, WalMart and the Co-op. Is it any wonder I go on a shopping marathon to Winco, Trader Joe’s and Natural Grocers whenever I have to be in Medford? Prices on the coast are ridiculous.
    Welcome @SaraP73 Sara from AB! Lots of support here and for motivation there’s always pip’s boot! :laugh:
    Michele 3 or 4 months seems like a long time to wait for your foot to stop hurting. . .
    You too Lanette :cry:
    Allie :love: the new ‘do!
    Kay “unannounced”? “drama” indeed. Sounds like your sister is trying to give your Mama and the aunt this gift, but wow, what a baad idea. :noway: Ah, read the update. Pray it all works out.
    Tracey “dire” indeed! Whooshed a little hopeful energy your way for the local clinic to get and MD. Are there any MD’s in the next nearest town? No warranty on the Jeep, it’s a 2001 and sold “as is” He’s taking it on a test run to Gold Beach this morning. Hope he’s still happy with it when he gets home. ;} :love: the cubing shirt! Well done!
    Kylia we’re a “puppy bowl” family ;)
    Annie “trimming Teddy is like a hobby.” Now I can think of grooming Tumble as a hobby, not a task. Thanks! I always wanted to spin and weave, but never wanted it enough to actually do it ;}
    Beth fingers X’d for a helpful appointment. (hugs)
    Dia_R feeling deprived is a real killer. Are you able to up your protein? When I eat less protein and more carbs I want to eat everything that isn’t nailed down. ((hugs)) What Lisa, pip, Barbie, Lanette said.
    Only through pg 21 but the get up and move timer has bonged… twice!
    2/9: Move mins- wii:11 PT:0 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:0 line dance:45 Steps:7138
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=31 CI<CO net=244 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, M, H, WalMart, Post Office, Freddie’s, Wt:131.8
    2/8: Move mins- wii:11 PT:17 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:39 garden:25 Steps:4811
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=14 CI<CO net=201 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, H, pruned and manured dwarf apple and peach trees, called Je, updated dance and address spreadsheets, sent special line dance event email. Wt:132.1 again ;}[/spoiler]
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    February: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll just hanging out with Alfie and Siri having a Walmart delivery.. hopefully they find it this time.
    Poor Miles still not feeling well..
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    up early because of the cats- fed them, pulled some cream cheese out of the fridge to get soft then went back to bed.
    First morning in over 6 weeks that I haven't done my nebulizer treatment. Going to see how I feel if I skip both treatments today.
    Made the banana split cake for the potluck at church this morning and had the associate pastor's wife pick it up on her way over to the church. No room for it in my freezer. They live just a few blocks away and were going over anyways. One less thing to make then take tomorrow morning. I will do a pan of loaded fried potatoes(diced potatoes that I have already baked), fried with fresh rosemary and sage from the garden) topped with cheese, chopped crisp bacon then diced fresh tomatoes when it is time to serve.
    Also taking some pina colada fudge(pineapple coconut fudge) that I already have done.
    Celebrating the church's 65th anniversary.

Ended the day yesterday at just over 15,000 steps- then couldn't sleep so melatonin gummies and a massaging shower at midnight before I got to sleep.

Another beautiful sunny day- after all the rain we got, this is great

Debbie
    Napa Valley, Ca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday ladies!

Lisa - I saw a Kicks on the freeway this morning. What a cute car, I can see how it's perfect for you. I agree on avoiding the hot summers. Around here, I tend to stay inside after 11 am during July and August - though June can have some heatwaves too. Winter - December and January are the worst. Painful hands and I get tired of the gray.

But it's a beautiful sunny day here. I want to work outside a little this afternoon, even if it's just cleaning out the greenhouse.

Annie - do you feel comfortable leaving your dad alone for hours at a time - so you can get out for more lunches with friends or horseback riding? That might help your mood.

I was just thinking about the great lunch I had with T and R last week. What made it great - they are not complainers. They are very positive gals, laughing at aches and pains that get mentioned, counting blessings, looking for fun and adventure even if it's only in our heads. :p I am so grateful to have them in my tribe. <3 And I nearly always get a good-night message from T, sent with love and I send it right back. I think she's checking to see if I'm still breathing, lol.

I spent - no wasted - a lot of lunches with girlfriends throughout my life which were gripe sessions. Husbands, relatives, bosses - a long, long list. It feels good to be moving on from that.

Betsy - thinking about your sis and you as you navigate the Seattle hospitals this week.

About twice a week I tune into an hour of local Seattle news to see what's happening in my old haunts and that's plenty. I used to be glued to national news and l agree with Betsy - it's depressing and there's nothing I can do about it so choose to spend my time doing beneficial things for my brain. I subscribe to a very short daily email which summarizes a few stories from national news, sports, and other interesting human interest stories. Takes about 1 minute to read with links to in depth articles. That's perfect and keeps me in touch just enough with the outer world.

Tracey - love that blue and so glad you had a helper! ;) Cute baby & pup photos too, made my day.

Barbara - hooray for Joe getting the Jeep going. I still remember when one of my old Subarus was in the shop, they called and said it needed a new clutch. I never had noticed a problem with it. Panic. DH got on the phone and said "why don't you try adjusting it???" Which worked, took a couple minutes. $15 or something. Older fellers like Joe and my DH, who tinkered with cars ever since they were kids, had valuable insight as to how they worked and were hard to snow. I miss my DH!!

News Flash - Ed Deboo sent me a .pdf copy of his new book "10 Minute Strength Training Exercises for Seniors" for review for Amazon. I just skimmed through it, it's a winner. Can't wait to get a hard copy I can lay out on a table and write down notes. You can tell it's written by a PT. Simple, easy to follow, nice illustrations.

And finally, I've been going down the YouTube rabbit hole watching videos of people living in cars and vans. Mostly how they design them, what works, etc. No, I don't want to live in a car or even a trailer - DH and I existed in an 18 ft travel trailer for several months when we moved out to Washington in '77. Thank goodness it was a campground with toilets and showers nearby. We parked there while we found jobs and bought a house.

But anyhow, I found a pretty interesting one called "Solar Camper Car" which features a fella who's a traveling nurse! Lives in a spiffy Suburban he retrofitted quite nicely. Here's one of his videos. 15 minutes.

I better get outside.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Ugh had a delivery from Walmart and again they delivered to the wrong address,and i got a refund,but i went and rescued it again.. honestly..i took the tip off for the driver he doesn't deserve it ,when he doesn't deliver to correct address.
    Im watching Wayne Carini,Chasing Classic Cars..it is filmed here about 1/4 mile away from me..
    Hopefully Miles feels better tomorrow.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka Thanks! “Ours is very simple. My stuff goes to him. His stuff comes to me.” Then what? What if you’re both killed in a car accident at the same time? A concern here as HWY199 can be treacherous.

Then we're both gone and it doesn't matter to me anymore! :)

But we have divided things between a few other family members in a 50% to you, 25% to you, sort of thing. There are no specifics like "the hideous green vase will go to so and so", "the china you'll never be able to do anything with will go to so and so". I'm imagining the "estate", such as it is, will be sold and the money divided.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Annie, I am with you. The news is depressing to me. I find I'm better off if I limit news to half an hour of local news and a half hour of one of the network world and national news. I record the news and on play back decide what I watch and fast forward through most of it. Friends tell me that I'm a bit irresponsible by not keeping informed. For me it is a decision that there is much I can't change and I don't want the negatives a part of my life. Being active and walking helps me with my attitude. I'd rather watch a show when I sit down to relax than news that brings me down.

Machka, I do schedule thinking/planning time at the beginning and end of each day. I'm a list gal and I update my lists of needs and wants in planning. It gives me pleasure to see what I've accomplished and keeps in mind what I have yet to finish.

My sister comes today. She has appointments at the Cancer Center beginning Monday and continuing through Monday the 19th. The scans and labs will hopefully give information that will lead to a plan giving her more comfort. These last 6 weeks have been hard ones with sinus problems, Covid and gut issues.

Betsy in NW WA

My husband reads the news online a lot and gets all upset by it. I keep telling him that what he reads in the news isn't happening directly to us and that we need to focus on the things that are happening to us. Yes, things like interest rates going up or down may affect us indirectly, and whether or not relations with China are good may affect what goods are imported here, but whatever will be will be with that sort of thing.

Instead, I tell him, focus on our garden and planting veggies. That way if grocery prices rise, we'll have our own produce.

And I focus on getting more bits and pieces of education and experience to broaden my chances of employment should something happen in that regard.

And I encourage us to do things that are fun, interesting, etc. (like our cycling) while we still can for both our mental and physical health.

I am also a list gal ... but I've kind of let that slide in recent months what with our trip to Canada, organising cycling events immediately upon our return, and COVID. I need to get back at that again.

Prayers for your sister. :heart:

Machka in Oz

• Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Machka: I like listening to the news rather than watching it on tv. Too many heart tugging stories get to me after a while. I really just want the facts...if people can figure out what the facts are. And without my husband there is really no one to speak with and banter about with the news. When I see people I try to limit talk of the news.

Dr.KatieBug: My son went to a public high school in Middle GA about 10 years ago. The system was using a curriculum where the algebra and geometry were intertwined. They eventually stopped using this. What was the reasoning for this?

Also I believe the classes were 90 minutes for awhile. My son did his homework during this time but it certainly seems like a long time to stay focused on Math...unless your a Math person!

I am not sure of the details of this but for Calculus the Math teacher asked the students to work on every problem they got wrong on the test until they could do the problem and I think others similar to it. Around 13 people in the class received a 4 or 5 on the AP calculus test. Do you think this method would work better in other class room situations. The calculus students were pretty motivated I think.

Best,
    Rosemarie from GA