What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ariadne__ wrote: »
    zaxaz wrote: »
    And I do believe all those things they said - eat less more more, for example - are all lies and unsupported by scientific evidence.

Do you believe that eating less and moving more doesn't lead to weight loss?

I recommend you read "The Obesity Code" by Dr Jason Fung. He reviews all the various things we have been told our entire lives, including being made to feel inadequate, no self-control, etc, and destroys them by reviewing long-term scientific studies.
  • zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ...elided...
    Thank you. I asked the question because I thought that myfitnesspal was an app for logging food (calories - fats - carbs- protein) and excercise and I never thought that I'd find here someone who doesn't believe in that. So initially I thought that my inadequate english made me misunderstand your point.
    ...elided...

Yes, I ascribed to the eat less/move more philosophy -- and that worked for me when I was in my 20s but that is much more challenging now that I am older.

Yes, I am using mfp to track my food intake because my dr is concerned that I am not eating enough. I have had no appetite since I was discharged from the hospital a month ago and some days eat less than 1200 calories, according to mfp.

I'm not 100% convinced that Dr Fung is correct but I am open to the option that he is correct and the previous studies have been skewed by the sponsors of those studies. Anyone remember when the tobacco industry funded studies that said smoking was safe? Or how about when the US FDA was considering if sugar could be GRAS (generally recognized as safe)? Well that was a long time ago (1967) and the sugar industry covertly funded that research that put the blame on fat and not sugar. You can read (or listen) about that on a Sep 2016 NPR report.

And yes, this has been published in accepted scientific journals - JAMA of Internal Medicine. Here is the link to the synopsis. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2548255

Dr Fung is not alone in his conclusions and he is not the first doctor to publish a book like his. He talks about balanced diet and everything else - things that mfp is useful for.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,228 Member
    Options
    @AwesomeSquirrel

That's pretty funny. Money saver though, which is much appreciated after having to replace everything with smaller sizes.

I always would wear out my rain pants where I sat on my bike seat since I was a bike commuter. I stopped buying nice rain pants and bought less expensive PVC pants. They still weren't cheap, and they'd last a year or two. My jeans wear out the same way, but it takes a few years. They should last longer now that I don't have to commute.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    And I do believe all those things they said - eat less more more, for example - are all lies

I recommend you read "The Obesity Code" by Dr Jason Fung. He reviews all the various things we have been told our entire lives, including being made to feel inadequate, no self-control, etc, and destroys them by reviewing long-term scientific studies.

I read Dr. Fungi’s book as soon as I got diagnosed with diabetes almost a year ago. I found it very interesting, and encouraging. I must have missed something because I never came away thinking that ,eating less and moving more was a bad thing and didn’t work. I don’t remember much else from his book. I do eat less, and am moving more and it’s definitely working.
    I tried to make an appointment to see him, but couldn't get one. I guess he’s too famous now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!