WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Kristen from Maine - Welcome! Lots of support, stories, etc., here, step into any conversation where you feel comfortable.

Everyone on the check-in list - Well done! Love seeing the self-aware comments, something I've struggled with in years past.

Thanks for all the good wishes - Just woke up from one of those naps that suck you under and seem to let you go only reluctantly. Hopefully I'll sleep well tonight, back tomorrow morning to meet my cardiologist's sidekick cardiologist that will be helping with the Watchman procedure, probably in the summer. I don't expect any surprises there, hopefully not adding to the stress.

More medical stuff, skip if you're as tired of it all as I am:
    Today was more blood tests, which I expected, and what my GP expected they would ask for - a nuclear, full-body bone scan. Not the same as a DEXA scan for osteoporosis, which I know many of you have had - this will show any infections around the bones that impinge on the knee replacement, as well as any inflammation or cancerous incursions in the bone anywhere in any joint.

The blood tests were largely good - again, nothing unexpected.
    • BUN - Mild issues with the kidney, as my BUN was high, at 27, but not as high as it's been in the past.
    • MPV - My MPV (platelets) were a little low at 7.6, but have steadily improved a point or two on each test since the first diagnosis of anemia back in 2019.
    • CRP - My C-Reactive Protein was high at 1.4, but it was over 13 back at the beginning of this journey, so it's better. It's a general sign that there is inflammation somewhere, and if you have Crohn's, something is inflamed.
    • GFR - My eGFR was 68, which made me very happy after all the other talk of kidney issues, etc.
    • HGB - Even better, my hemoglobin, which has been low or right on the borderline of the 12-16 range since this all began, was at 13.4, higher than it's been since 2018. Pleased with that. It's a good sign that the iron infusions a while back did get my bone marrow back to doing its job.

And on that note, Heather, I know why you can't discuss it, but it is dispiriting that healthcare is a political issue at all. Humans are strange. Then again, you don't find squirrels out there discussing the merits of the NHS vs. the weird mix of public, private, non-profit and for-profit healthcare in the U.S. There are days being a squirrel would be easier.

Never got lunch, going to go find a little something to get me through to dinner.

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in aR

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options

MYou ate all those nuts because your body is craving the right kind of fat. From what I have learned better nuts than potato chips!

Over the past 9 years, I have eaten potato chips less frequently than I have eaten nuts, and I don't eat nuts very often.

I cut out potato chips 9 years ago when I went on a mission to lose weight. I have had them occasionally since but find them too salty to enjoy like I used to.

I prefer nuts but I have to be very careful with them. Usually only have them when I have been exercising more than usual.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 53min 20sec, 52elev, 3.11ap, 100ahr, 157mhr, 6mi= 610c
    Strava app = 736c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 49.37sec, 285elev, 102aw, 18.2amph, gear35, 46arpm, 105ahr, 120mhr, 15.03mi= 297c
    Strava app= 286c
    Zwift stats- 49.33min, 286elev, 101aw, 45arpm, 18.16amph, 15mi= 286c

Total cal 907
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Jeda – welcome! We’re like Jello – there’s always room for more

took Jess for a dinner of sushi. that's something that Vince won't have.

Michele now in FL

Good one
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    finally back tracking my food. Am under a bit from the 1200 base and I had zumba tonight.
    Went out after class with most of the class- two chicken "street tacos", water and a few chips
    It was fun but the place was so loud and I was at the end of the table so couldn't hear a lot of what was going on. Teacher will be on vacation so next two classes are canceled. Hoping to walk with a friend or two from class on those days, if it doesn't rain.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited February 20
    Options
    Tracey - Well done on the decluttering! They call it the 'decluttering muscle', which gers stronger with exercise. :p Also 'first pass', 'second pass' etc. And the 'layers of an onion'. It's good to know it's not a once and for all thing and not to aim for perfection. Good is better than perfect and we can do one thing at a time.
    Yesterday, a valued old friend sent me a postcard (yes, a real one, with a photo) from Antigua, where she has been on a fabulous holiday. I have nowhere to put such a thing, so I threw it out straight away. :o:o:o I appreciated the thought, and the message, but I don't need the postcard.
    I will ring her later this week.

I slept well last night. I took a couple of painkillers at 9.45, and did not feel too uncomfortable all night. Woke up refreshed at 5.45, having gone to sleep at 11. Hooray!

Bea pick up today. We will make final arrangements with the parents for the sleepover on Friday night. All three kids! The parents are going to a show in London, so we will pick the girls up from school, and Max can make his own way over here. I will have to do the linen on Edie's bed upstairs, but the other one is fine for Bea.

I have lunch at the Regency on Thursday with G, which I will have to confirm. I will give her a homemade birthday card for next week. The one with the bright squares. I sent one to P yesterday, with gold, bronze, and silver squares. I am thinking of their respective decors. :p Can't believe we are all around 75. Our last Zoom was all about our ailments! :laugh:

Only a couple of months now until our cruise. If there is a general election while we are away, we will have to get a postal vote. Haven't done that before. I don't think there will be, but no one seems to know.

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    Lisa: Hope the med visit go/went well.

Kudos to those back on the weight loss bus. Keep at it!

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri